The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
With any career now and days you got to be willing to move anywhere and go outside your comfort zone and work for small companies or government at the start. Sometimes you got to do a few years in an undesirable location to get your experience up.
Yep.

people be wanting to get that dope job in a big city right out of school which is impossible for most. You have to be realistic and possibly work in a place you don’t want to to get to the place you want to go. It’s the same mentality in the news business.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
To me, tech careers are like professional sports.

Once you have the baseline level of talent, you've got a shot to get in the door. HOWEVER, just showing up to practice and games isn't enough. You have to do the extra stuff. The successful folks (maybe I'm wrong) do side and personal projects, learn new languages etc., to stay sharp. Same way a pro athlete has to watch film, hit the weight room and eat a clean diet.

Good points. Do you have a tech career?

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
"

This field is not an easy field and almost impossible to break into. Again, these articles, ads and websites do a GREAT job of marketing coding, developing, and machine learning as the saving grace to society and pathway to success. For most people it will be a complete waste of time. I want brehs to be absolutely sure this is something that they wanna invest their time into. It's almost like trying to be a big time movie star or getting into the NBA.

I know the average breh don't got years to just be sitting around wishing on a star hoping that this coding stuff works out. Stop listening to these brehs that say "I got a coding job in 3 weeks after my bootcamp" or "I found a job in 2 months and only filled out 5 applications" it's all cap. No matter how many apps or websites you build and GitHub projects you've worked on... you can very well NEVER get a job in Development. It happens to way more people then it gets talked about.
You out here discouraging a potential avenue that DOESN'T require going back to school with no alternative solution? You want nikkas to go to Everest College instead? Well paying jobs are not easy and are highly competitive or else they wouldn't be paying $$$.

You fukking up the confidence for future brehs that are thinking of this as a career path. Hold this neg.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
You out here discouraging a potential avenue that DOESN'T require going back to school with no alternative solution? You want nikkas to go to Everest College instead? Well paying jobs are not easy and are highly competitive or else they wouldn't be paying $$$.

You fukking up the confidence for future brehs that are thinking of this as a career path. Hold this neg.

I'm just actually being honest, unlike everybody on the internet boasting and raving about coding like it's the new gold rush :rudy:

It's people like y'all that be having people wasting their time out here

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm just actually being honest, unlike everybody on the internet boasting and raving about coding like it's the new gold rush :rudy:

It's people like y'all that be having people wasting their time out here
You are not being honest with yourself, let alone others.

You are taking your shortcomings and instead of accepting blame or finding areas of improvement, you are shytting on the entire career path and discouraging others from going down the same career path. That is c00n shyt and you are messing up the confidence for future people that want to change their lives.

You on the block list moving forward thanks to this type of negativity. For those still on the path of coding, slide to the 6 Certs forum and also, check out this breh who documented his journey from being receptionist to making bank:

Tom Foolery

You're using way too many napkins.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boardwalk and Park Place
We choose to code in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

A question a guy asked me during the first few days of college.

Him: Do you have a girlfriend?

Me: Nope.

Him: You don't have one or you don't want one?

I will never accept someone saying something is too hard. You simply don't want it enough. I especially will not push such discouraging and dissuading narratives the OP is pushing to a majority black forum.
No offense but this is BS. You are very dismissive of real issues people face.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ageism is also very much a thing in tech. Unlike trades and other careers where age is somewhat appreciated, if you're pushing 30 to 40 the road is gonna be 10x harder

Imagine being black, over 30, no experience, and looking for a job... :huhldup:

Im in a tech field (engineering) and for years I have worked with software engineers, system engineers, software quality engineers and cyber engineers. Been working as an engineer for well over a decade. Worked at 7 companies and have had like 9 different titles.

There is age discrimination in tech but normally its the 40 to 70 age range (particularly the 50 to 70 age range).

Normally if you under 40 (no matter the race) with a tech degree and you are having issues finding work...its due to 5 things. Its a bad economy, you are not willing to relocate, your resume doesn't show your skills and past exp, you don't understand how to look and apply for jobs (resume structure to match req) and finally you don't have any exp in the field you are trying to apply to.

So if you are 32 years old with a tech degree but with cashier jobs on your resume and no tech exp. The lack of exp is hurting you not your age. Cause the same issue is happening to a 22 year old with the same degree and no exp on their resume.

The key is to parlay your class, lab or real world exp to you resume to give you that boost (experience).

I will use engineering for example. Say a 33 year old graduates in industrial engineering. But has no experience in engineering. But that person completed a senior project to graduate (which a lot of engineering fields require) and worked at a warehouse as a material picker (while they were in college). Well they can take that senior project and list it on their resume. Then take their warehouse job and change the title to an inventory tech. Mention on the resume that as a inventory tech their responsibilities were to ensure that the shipping and receiving process was efficient, that they worked with suppliers to enure that products were received and shipped on time through (JIT) and that they worked with warehouse quality engineers to investigate nonconformances that were captured in SAP.

So right there that person's resume went from having no experience to having experience.

Thats what a lot of folks out of school don't understand...that they have to "flip" their resume to get that exp.

trapnerd

All Star
Daps
I’m not in the software development field specifically, but I work close with them on projects. Seems like a good place to be from my vantage point.

We have hired at least three devs in the past month.... and Looking back back there has been a pretty steady stream of new devs this whole year.

And tbh, I been thinking about making that move myself. Because while they have been hiring devs, 90% of my team (implementations) has been furloughed since may, with no indications that they are ever coming back.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Everything Op is saying is true to an extent,, but Op I hope youre not a "shyt on the military " type

Because I'm one of those people with less than two years of coding experience and I'm working for one of the powerhouse companies in tech, because I have a clearance and connections.

I cannot stress to brehs enough the power of using the military to teach you a in demand trade

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man this thread came at the wrong time for me lol, this shyt discouraged the hell out of me lol

Reason why I say that is because today I'm officially going to start my job search for a software testing position,

but I notice you guys are talking about software developing though.

Either way, I'm 30 plus, Black, no experience and hoping at least to find a entry level position.

I've also never had experience with applying for professional jobs either.

In my 20's I was running a company which I recently had to shut down due to FDA action.

But as far as difficulty finding jobs, I'm always hearing conflicting stories.

Some people tell me its easy, some people say its difficult.

I used to be at this one school that taught SDET(D.C, MD, VA area) and they had a high job-finding rate.

Every year, atleast 90% of those people would find jobs quickly.

But what they would do is, they would embellish your resume and give you a false years of experience number
Sounds like way to narrow of a focus to work in this economy. Best bet is to search that 6 figure 6 certs thread for gems. And join a local technology organization in your area so you can network with people already in the field.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yep.

people be wanting to get that dope job in a big city right out of school which is impossible for most. You have to be realistic and possibly work in a place you don’t want to to get to the place you want to go. It’s the same mentality in the news business.

Breh I mentioned it on here how a homie of mine went to Nebraska for a gig. While all his fellow graduates (no matter the race) wanted to wait around chicago for a job. Most didn't find work and the few who did were under paid making 50k. My homie went to Nebraska got a 67k salary witha big company. Worked there for like 3 years then started applying for jobs in chicago. Due to his experience and big name of his company my homie got a 85k gig in chicago. So in 3 years he left came back and had a 85k job in Chicago. While most his classmates were either out if work or still making in the 50k range.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Everything Op is saying is true to an extent,, but Op I hope youre not a "shyt on the military " type

Because I'm one of those people with less than two years of coding experience and I'm working for one of the powerhouse companies in tech, because I have a clearance and connections.

I cannot stress to brehs enough the power of using the military to teach you a in demand trade

Not just military brehs. Even regular folks...defense contracting or government jobs is a easy way to get your foot in the door. One reason is they must hire minorities.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Absolute bullshyt breh. The industry has a greater emphasis on skills over age. An employer would be impressed if you have followed the right steps and you are actually good at coding.You resume does not contain your age.And it is not unusual to see older people going back to college.

Yeah 30s is young. Most of the time of you in your 30s the exp or lack of degree is hurting you not age.