The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have about three years experience but I remember struggling to find my first SE job out of college. What helped me was a willingness to relocate. If you're willing to move to a mid sized city somewhere in an undesirable location you'll have a lot less competition. And after a year or two you can go back to a more desirable one.

Applied to like 100 places in atlanta and surrounding area and got nothing but received offers from DC, Omaha, and Chicago..

Breh I mentioned it on here how a homie of mine went to Nebraska for a gig. While all his fellow graduates (no matter the race) wanted to wait around chicago for a job. Most didn't find work and the few who did were under paid making 50k. My homie went to Nebraska got a 67k salary witha big company. Worked there for like 3 years then started applying for jobs in chicago. Due to his experience and big name of his company my homie got a 85k gig in chicago. So in 3 years he left came back and had a 85k job in Chicago. While most his classmates were either out if work or still making in the 50k range.

Exactly. Folks don't want to sacrifice or put in any work these days. Nobody gonna hand you a 100k job in the most competitive and desirable cities. I got my first management job with a smaller company 2.5 hours away from the closest big city. They were looking to hire local but I told them I would pay for my own relocation(pro tip). Worked there 2 years, left and took the management job title and got paid working with major corp in the city I wanted to be in. IT is a great field but you have bounce around a bit to really get in a good space.

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
In case it hasn't been said already, embellish, embellish, embellish on your resume. If you're still not getting call backs. Lie.

This assumes you have a decent set of skills and are a quick learner.

You gotta get your foot in the door one way or another :francis:

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm just actually being honest, unlike everybody on the internet boasting and raving about coding like it's the new gold rush :rudy:

It's people like y'all that be having people wasting their time out here

You doing it for yourself or others?

Again you have done the bare minimum expecting above average results.

Sounds like you aint built for it.

• Dap
Reactions: YBG

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly. Folks don't want to sacrifice or put in any work these days. Nobody gonna hand you a 100k job in the most competitive and desirable cities. I got my first management job with a smaller company 2.5 hours away from the closest big city. They were looking to hire local but I told them I would pay for my own relocation(pro tip). Worked there 2 years, left and took the management job title and got paid working with major corp in the city I wanted to be in. IT is a great field but you have bounce around a bit to really get in a good space.

This real spit brotha. I had to do similar to get my weight up. But like you said ain't no one gonna hand it to you. Another kat I know took a gig in Salt Lake city Utah. Cause he wanted to change fields. He did a year out there got his experience and moved back to dallas (got a job in the field he wanted).

And like you said paying for your own relo is one way to get a foot up on other folks for the gig. Another hustle out there is if there is a company you want to work for is to take a job for that company in a state where people don't want to live. Then work a year and transfer to the state you want to live in.

Another kat I knew wanted to get on at Lockheed. He couldn't get on in DFW so he interviewed for a gig at Lockheed in louisville, Kentucky. Got the gig then worked out there for two years and then transfered back to DFW.

So you got to think outside the box for these gigs.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
:yeshrug: If you done all you could, and haven't had anything concrete. You need to go on purse something else. I see too many people trying to fit square pegs into circles. Find what you are good at and make that profitable. Be always willing to learn new things that interest you. shyt isn't impossible, but everything is not beneficial for everyone to do.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
You doing it for yourself or others?

Again you have done the bare minimum expecting above average results.

Sounds like you aint built for it.

Stop Dap Fishin

Everybody wants to give a good success story but NO ONE wants to talk about the real shyt. I'm not even talking about getting a 6 figure job. I'm literally talking about the bare minimum entry-level jobs. shyt is hard just getting an underpaying job in programming. I wasted a year and a half learning to code and I'm just trying to make sure others don't do the same WITHOUT knowing EXACTLY the road that's ahead. You can always go the freelance route, but even that's a struggle. I'm aware that there's no easy route to success in any field, I just don't like the dishonesty being spread about coding. A few rags to riches stories got everyone thinking they can get a FAANG job making $300k a year. Most people don't get a call back or don't make it past phase 2 of the interview process. Mfs WITH EXPERIENCE put in over 500+ job applications and y'all sitting here talking about "don't give up" :skip:

Ask anybody in trades, I bet they all tell you they never had to submit 500+ applications to get a job :mjlol:

Doing 3-4 part interviews only to not get the job... Y'all can keep giving brehs false hope all you want, but once you get a trade or even just your CDL you never have to worry about finding work. Gotta be a damn fool to fill out 1,000 applications before you realize (maybe this shyt ain't it). The tech industry is a scam.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Stop Dap Fishin

Everybody wants to give a good success story but NO ONE wants to talk about the real shyt. I'm not even talking about getting a 6 figure job. I'm literally talking about the bare minimum entry-level jobs. shyt is hard just getting an underpaying job in programming. I wasted a year and a half learning to code and I'm just trying to make sure others don't do the same WITHOUT knowing EXACTLY the road that's ahead. You can always go the freelance route, but even that's a struggle. I'm aware that there's no easy route to success in any field, I just don't like the dishonesty being spread about coding. A few rags to riches stories got everyone thinking they can get a FAANG job making $300k a year. Most people don't get a call back or don't make it past phase 2 of the interview process. Mfs WITH EXPERIENCE put in over 500+ job applications and y'all sitting here talking about "don't give up" :skip:

Ask anybody in trades, I bet they all tell you they never had to submit 500+ applications to get a job :mjlol:

Doing 3-4 part interviews only to not get the job... Y'all can keep giving brehs false hope all you want, but once you get a trade or even just your CDL you never have to worry about finding work. Gotta be a damn fool to fill out 1,000 applications before you realize (maybe this shyt ain't it). The tech industry is a scam.

Then drive trucks then. You are already defeated.

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What field do you work in? You usually have to do multiple interviews for most jobs.

When I go for help desk/desktop support roles, I usually have to do 2 to 4 interviews (including phone interview). For the job I have now, I had to do 2 phone interviews and an over 3 hour in-person.

For fashion design jobs, you have to do a phone interview, an in-person interview and then you have a week to make some clothes (paid for out is your own pocket).

For marketing and product /project roles, a lot of times you have to do day long interviews, including giving a 30 minute long presentation.

Good jobs are hard to get. Everyone knows this. Stop telling black people things are too difficult.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
I just got hit up about a data analyst position with a popular bank. My resume is being submitted but I’m not too convinced anything will happen. I’ve dealt with agency recruiters a lot these past few months. I currently have a job but I took it so I would be employed again :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
What field do you work in? You usually have to do multiple interviews for most jobs.

When I go for help desk/desktop support roles, I usually have to do 2 to 4 interviews (including phone interview). For the job I have now, I had to do 2 phone interviews and an over 3 hour in-person.

For fashion design jobs, you have to do a phone interview, an in-person interview and then you have a week to make some clothes (paid for out is your own pocket).

For marketing and product /project roles, a lot of times you have to do day long interviews, including giving a 30 minute long presentation.

Good jobs are hard to get. Everyone knows this. Stop telling black people things are too difficult.

The tech industry is a scam and I'm tired of you, FAANG, and all these youtubers trying to convince people otherwise. Y'all are like evil car salesmen.

Tell me why I did Google's IT Coursera program, got an interview with Google and went through 3 rounds only to not get the job. Mind you I have my certificate stating I'm qualified. This was for an IT APPRENTICESHIP. You mean to tell me I can't get a damn apprenticeship after completing a course in this topic which they created for people to be able to work??? And they constantly repeated that they weren't expecting you to be an expert and they would train you.

THE TECH INDUSTRY IS A SCAM.

If they said what they really wanna say but can't... i.e. "the demand is high for highly skilled and talented well experienced White/Asian male engineers and developers, NOBODY would bother. So they have to lie and give false hope so they can make their money. These bootcamps, colleges, programs are all eating good off lying to everyone about this high demand and promising people jobs. If demand was really high, jobs wouldn't be so hard to get, period.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Ageism is also very much a thing in tech. Unlike trades and other careers where age is somewhat appreciated, if you're pushing 30 to 40 the road is gonna be 10x harder

Imagine being black, over 30, no experience, and looking for a job... :huhldup:

It's not impossible.