The TRUTH about "Learning to Code" part 2 : Finding an entry-level job is nearly IMPOSSIBLE!

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What does your portfolio look like OP?
What personal projects have you created?

Man im getting tired of threads like these. Yall dont understand the industry and so you complain about it.

This is like me taking an acting bootcamp class and complaining no one is hiring actors... but i havent even created a demo reel yet.

In the company i work for, you come in with an impressive enough portfolio of work and they'll skip 2 interviews and hire you on the spot.

What this thread should be about is building an impressive portfolio, not telling black men to stop trying to make it in an extremely lucrative field that only grows by the day

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Have you at least made any projects to show for?

I've made all the typical stuff they tell you to do.. to-do lists, calculator, weather app, rock paper scissors, tic tac toe, etc ... But that's neither here nor there. Just cuz you made one really good project doesn't mean you'll be able to find a job.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps

Man im getting tired of threads like these. Yall dont understand the industry and so you complain about it.

This is like me taking an acting bootcamp class and complaining no one is hiring actors... but i havent even created a demo reel yet.

In the company i work for, you come in with an impressive enough portfolio of work and they'll skip 2 interviews and hire you on the spot.

What this thread should be about is building an impressive portfolio, not telling black men to stop trying to make it in an extremely lucrative field that only grows by the day

So how about you make that thread then? :gucci: You always come in these threads "tired" about something, but all you coders ever do is humble brag about how well y'all are eating and how much money there is in tech. I make these threads to give brehs the real deal holy field about coding that NOBODY (including folks like you) ever seem to bring up :rudy:

Most people agree that it's hard to find work so what exactly is the issue? If I'm discouraging brehs it's cuz they weren't as passionate about it to begin with. It's a discouraging industry.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So how about you make that thread then? :gucci: You always come in these threads "tired" about something, but all you coders ever do is humble brag about how well y'all are eating and how much money there is in tech. I make these threads to give brehs the real deal holy field about coding that NOBODY (including folks like you) ever seen to bring up :rudy:

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/what-exactly-is-devops.638435/#post-29874997

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/eve...coli-breh-in-need-mjcry.488893/#post-22112647

I respond to the kind of energy I see in a thread. I dont see you as trying to ask questions honestly.

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Have you at least made any projects to show for?

/thread

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
I've made all the typical stuff they tell you to do.. to-do lists, calculator, weather app, rock paper scissors, tic tac toe, etc ... But that's neither here nor there. Just cuz you made one really good project doesn't mean you'll be able to find a job.
yeah those are the basics try adding
an audio app that lets you record, edit, and send songs
make an app that has to access a database you created using firebase and adds photos, audio, or videos to that database
apps that handle sensitive information like bank data using stripe/square/PayPal as a backend.
you need to show your range I know it won't guarantee a job but you have to show a stronger portfolio

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Why does this topic need a second thread?

• Of the people I know that went to a coding bootcamp that ended in December 2017? They became:
  • 3 different people: Work as contractors for a major clothing retailer (think The Gap or Forever 21 or some shyt)
  • Product manager
  • IT Tech for a software company; company got bought by a FAANG company (liked coding sometimes, but hated it other times)
  • Moved to Detroit, learned Java and got a software engineering job (he's a breh and he was a smart dude)
  • Moved to Atlanta and then later SF and works as a software engineer for Uber (he was really good)
  • Got a web dev job at a university
  • Worked as an engineer (but the job was crappy), transitioned into activism (she was always about that kinda stuff though)
  • Works 2 web dev jobs (this is totally his choice)
  • Software engineer for a major museum
  • Got a QA job, but quit after like a month or 2; he wants a really eng job -- still unemployed (Yikes!)
  • Went into tech recruiting, got a job doing that
  • Has worked contractor gigs in the field since the bootcamp ended; one was doing work for Walmart; currently looking for work
  • Went to a 2nd bootcamp; got job paying 130k after that

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Another one of these.

You nikkas constantly look for negativity and cling to it and wonder why you never make it past step one.

You said yourself you've done the typical stuff they tell you to do for projects...so what makes you any different from the thousands watching the same shyt?
Even at entry level who in their right mind would offer you a job because you can just about print hello world in a fancy format. You talk about one really good project won't get you a job... So do more? Do much more.

When I first got in the game I noticed the overwhelming number of 'I failed xxx exam' or 'cant get a job' threads and I avoided them like the plague.. i already knew what time it was, I was trying to change my life so I wasnt about to spend my time consuming the bullshyt.

Why are you spending the time looking for negative shyt... You already got a mountain to climb but you are comfortable in renforcing the idea that you can't actually do it because the vast majority can't.

Be an outlier... Or don't... Time will pass the same way, nobody really gives a fukk... But you WILL find yourself jumping from thing to thing.. Starting over again constantly.

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Ageism is also very much a thing in tech. Unlike trades and other careers where age is somewhat appreciated, if you're pushing 30 to 40 the road is gonna be 10x harder

Imagine being black, over 30, no experience, and looking for a job... :huhldup:

Yeah this is true. If your starting out 30+ you are in a uphill battle because you will be competing with recent college grads for entry level positions. But if you are already in the industry ageism kind of goes out the window. 30s and up are seniors and managers.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
yeah those are the basics try adding
an audio app that lets you record, edit, and send songs
make an app that has to access a database you created using firebase and adds photos, audio, or videos to that database
apps that handle sensitive information like bank data using stripe/square/PayPal as a backend.
you need to show your range I know it won't guarantee a job but you have to show a stronger portfolio

I get all that. But if I do all that stuff and am still not really guaranteed work, it's a waste. I'm 30. I don't got time to focus on shyt that won't bring in any money. Only reason I'm not just going back to driving trucks and becoming an owner operator is cuz I know eventually I'll get tired of being on the road (which I kinda am now). Skills are important, it's just a matter of what you choose and the success rate in it.