"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
Nah, South wasn't the ONLY reason Hip Hop changed

in the late 90s to 2005.... the influence of 50 Cent, Kanye West, and Eminem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The South's influence

If we're keeping it a buck :yeshrug:
You can't be serious.

50 himself is one of the earlier NY rappers to be influenced by the South's rise of the late 90s, esp pre Get rich or die trying. You must be young. Eminem ain't influence shyt but TRL and farm club.com white boys.

Last edited:

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
No, the problem is that NY rappers were constantly beefing with each other rather than evolving their sound. Not to mention the lack of innovative producers coming out of the city.

The South is a culture of hospitality so rappers were likely to work together to put each other on than have egos butt heads. And their sound always changed every couple years.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Nah, South wasn't the ONLY reason Hip Hop changed

in the late 90s to 2005.... the influence of 50 Cent, Kanye West, and Eminem >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The South's influence

If we're keeping it a buck :yeshrug:

kanye west did via influence from the south (tpain and autotune) but 50ent and Eminem didn't change the sound of hiphop overall at all. 50cent was actually tapping into Southern sonics in that period with his fake southern drawl rap/delivery.

DaKidFromNoWhere

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tar Heel State
This would be a great barber shop debate but i dont know where to place blame.
One thing that crossed my mind reading some of the replies is that NY sampled a lot of artist that was from the south James Brown would have had a gap if sample laws was around back then.
So that made me think maybe that's why the production sound is so great here in the south. Even can call out the west who was using a lot of George Clinton shyt.
We just make better music to vibe to:yeshrug:
And I actually prefer NY Hip Hop because that's what I grew up on, not too many rappers from the south that is lyrical make me hit the rewind button.:francis:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
kanye west did via influence from the south (tpain and autotune) but 50ent and Eminem didn't change the sound of hiphop overall at all. 50cent was actually tapping into Southern sonics in that period with his fake southern drawl rap/delivery.

Yeah no doubt T-Pain had alot of influence. But Kanye West created the soundscape you hear today in these new artists. You can also say Drake as well, and you and I know Kanye is Drake's biggest influence

If you're hanging on T-Pain and his autotune, that isn't something he created anyway. That was in the 80s with Zapp and Roger

Not an Eminem fan, but he literally influenced every white rapper in the industry and even some Black rappers like Kendrick Lamar and Lupe. Dude created that whole lane

And lets pretend Ja Rule wasn't the Godfather of modern day Singer-Rappers, which predates T-Pain as well

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not for nothing but I never thought Rah Digga was that nice, she was ok. She is definitely a better mc than Lord Jamar tho, who claims rap is a man's sport ironically.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Yeah no doubt T-Pain had alot of influence. But Kanye West created the soundscape you hear today in these new artists. You can also say Drake as well, and you and I know Kanye is Drake's biggest influence

drake himself be tapping into those southern sonics

If you're hanging on T-Pain and his autotune, that isn't something he created anyway. That was in the 80s with Zapp and Roger

autotune and talkbox aren't the same

Not an Eminem fan, but he literally influenced every white rapper in the industry and even some Black rappers like Kendrick Lamar and Lupe. Dude created that whole lane

lupe and kendrick don't sound like eminem sonically speaking

And lets pretend Ja Rule wasn't the Godfather of modern day Singer-Rappers, which predates T-Pain as well

singing rappers predates even jarule