"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
I don't think everything needed to be boom-bap, but the south, with the exception of a few artists/groups, certainly didn't concern themselves with maintaining the standard of 'skilled MCing' set by the east coast. I don't think 'being nice' mean as much in any other part of the country as it did on the east coast.

The south used rap purely as a hustle.

The problem with that is, because of rap's influence, being simple-minded AND ignorant as fukk became cool. Entertainers are trend setters, ESPECIALLY in our community, and especially rappers.

And someone up above hit it on the nail: I've heard soooo many people dismiss rappers with skill. 'We don't give a fukk about that bullshyt!'

I'm proud to say I've never had a friend or even a close associate who didn't appreciate lyricism. I don't think it's a reach to say, there is a connection between that, and every single one of my friends and associates being regarded by the people that know them as highly intelligent.
:trash:

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
All coast were/are promoting stereotypes, then mix lowering standards on creativity/lyricism, the south certainly continued to have a negative influence on Hiphop...don't mention the few southern lyricist to cover the majority of the high selling trash

Far from southern but just looking at other genres, the south saved hiphop. Brought mad new dimensions, genres usually start dying when no one innovates new sounds. And rap was getting pretty static.
Mostly it was the production but also flows and melody.
All these karaoke rappers that haven’t managed to bring anything new to the game but just mimicking what’s been done are always complaining. Basically saying, “dudes can’t even mimic what I came up on anymore”.
saved or further normalized degenerate behavior and strip club culture to be synonymous with Hiphop

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
All coast were/are promoting stereotypes, then mix lowering standards on creativity/lyricism, the south certainly continued to have a negative influence on Hiphop...don't mention the few southern lyricist to cover the majority of the high selling trash

saved or further normalized degenerate behavior and strip club culture to be synonymous with Hiphop
Yea it's sad cause it was so evangelical before that :mjcry:

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
There are no facts, hiphop being alive or dead is highly subjective, just like the definition of quality or what hiphop even is.
You right, dead or alive and quality discussions are subjective
South amplifying degenerate behavior/junkie/stripper club culture isn't subjective
Hiphop is a music genre that's a sub category of entertainment isn't subjective

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Facts.

Southern nikkas just got horrible taste its official.

Yall allowed Young Thug to become a thing. Yall made boosie hot. Yall lowered the bar lyrically. Yall made it cool for rappers to not know how to rap. Yall brought in the easily imitated trap crooning shyt that white rappers like Post Malone can imitate to greater success :umad: don't quote me