"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX
Not to discredit your opinion, but I was in that era where Hov and your X and the East Coast nikkas that most on here hold high wasn't getting no radio play down south in these major cities and major events with the exception of Biggie and Mase

nikkas down south was not bumping X, Hov, or any East Coast nikka not named Biggie, Mase, LL, without them having a Southern artist co-sign, Facts.

If so, give me a song by any East Coast nikka, Redman, Method Man or anybody that nikkas down south bumped heavily in their radios?
Texas nikkas bumped Nas and DMX though. Both them nikkas got songs on quite a few Screwtapes. Texas didn't fukk with Jay-Z like that but it was East Coast dudes getting play here

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Far from southern but just looking at other genres, the south saved hiphop. Brought mad new dimensions, genres usually start dying when no one innovates new sounds. And rap was getting pretty static.

Mostly it was the production but also flows and melody.

All these karaoke rappers that haven’t managed to bring anything new to the game but just mimicking what’s been done are always complaining. Basically saying, “dudes can’t even mimic what I came up on anymore”.

You just saying shyt just to say shyt. I like Southern Hip Hop but :mjgrin:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
You just saying shyt just to say shyt. I like Southern Hip Hop but :mjgrin:
Ok, it didn't bring anything. The whole southern movement sounded like DMX 99 and everyone flowed like either Havoc or Fat Joe. Hiphop was thriving and new fresh shyt was coming out all the time, what else.. grunge and pop rock is still huge mainstream radio, Metal bands still going multi-plat. Happy? :snoop:

Also forgot Shawty Redd, Zaytoven, Mike Will, Mannie Fresh and them are really just carbon copy's of the Rza and the bombb squad.
Tell me what you don't agree with and why. That stupid ass comment can be applied to anything without context.

Last edited:

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Ok, it didn't bring anything. The whole southern movement sounded like DMX 99 and everyone flowed like either Havoc or Fat Joe. Hiphop was thriving and new fresh shyt was coming out all the time, what else.. grunge and pop rock is still huge mainstream radio, Metal bands still going multi-plat. Happy? :snoop:

Also forgot Shawty Redd, Zaytoven, Mike Will, Mannie Fresh and them are really just carbon copy's of the Rza and the bombb squad.
Tell me what you don't agree with and why. That stupid ass comment can be applied to anything without context.

Yeah you're reaching for the stars on this on

99 to 2005 was a transition in Hip Hip, but it wasn't "The South bringing it back". Everyone in their regions was bringing new life into Hip Hop

- East coast had up and coming rapper 50 Cent shaking up the industry, DMX, Nas vs Jay Z beef, Mos Def and Talib Kweli, etc
- Midwest had Kayne with his influential music, Common, Twista, Lupe
- South had the big wave that was obvious
- West coast saw a rise again with the Game and early Nipsey Hussel

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
The entire rap game is using some version of the "sticatto flow" to sound more lyrical than they are damn near,and it works. But it glosses over the fact cats aren't saying anything dope,they just sound more technically proficient in terms of flow,and appear more lyrical. Migos actually had dope lyrics unlike the rest of these jokers using some variation of that flow. You are being very disrespectful and probably not even listening to southern rap now,there are as many different styles in the south as there ever were. You want to fault the south because thats where all the media and marketing money is going to now. So unfortunately we have to hear every wack southern rapper with a record thats hot. When NY had the media and marketing dollars we had to hear plenty of wack New York nikkas. Difference is you are trying to paint it as though those one hit wonder ,viral hit southern rappers are the pulse and heart of the south:comeon:. This would be like me saying the Chicken Noodle Soup girl,Tony Yayo,Mr Cheeks were the heart of New York:mjlol:
exactly

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Late 90s, X was not popular in the south.

When X took off it was from the song he had with "Sisqo"

nikkas wasn't fukking with X like that down here. nikkas wasn't even on X when he was on 24 hours song,

That song he did with Sisqo pushed his play down here. Then Juvie stamped Ruff Ryders when he did Down Bottom with them.

If you feel that way, What song in 1998 was nikkas fukking with in the South?? What song did nikkas play in their radios in 1998 or at parties/clubs in the SOUTH by X?? How it's going down, the one with Faith?
all of the songs your talking about came out in 1998-1999, which is the late 90’s.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Yeah you're reaching for the stars on this on

99 to 2005 was a transition in Hip Hip, but it wasn't "The South bringing it back". Everyone in their regions was bringing new life into Hip Hop

- East coast had up and coming rapper 50 Cent shaking up the industry, DMX, Nas vs Jay Z beef, Mos Def and Talib Kweli, etc
- Midwest had Kayne with his influential music, Common, Twista, Lupe
- South had the big wave that was obvious
- West coast saw a rise again with the Game and early Nipsey Hussel
Besides most of them having little impact compared to the size of rap post 2005, you’re talking about isolated events between 98 and 2008. Hiphop is the biggest genre in the world, not 4-5 rap events over 10 years and some dope rappers from the 90s still doing their thing. When people say hiphop is dead I assume they’re not referring to “oh Jay and Kendrick dropped dope albums also Kanye dropped a a dope album 8 years ago, it can’t be dead”.

I’m talking about as a big and interesting force in entertainment.

KENNY DA COOKER

HARD ON HOES is not a word it's a LIFESTYLE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
F
Rah Digga needs to STFU.with her nasty azz cigarette breath..

She wasn't complaining about the south when she collected that lil 2,500 backend payment for that show she did in Dallas last month for a promoter friend of mine

For the record the South didn't fukk shyt up.....

The business model simply changed
...labels didn't wanna pay for samples so beat programmers like zaytoven...toomp...fatboi..shawty redd came to the forefront