"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
the souths production sound is basically the best thing about hiphop these last few years. NY hasn't had a good batch of producers come out since the fukking justblaze/heatmakers era. NY has no one to blame but NY. NY became irrelevant because it is now a culturally stagnant generic gentrified cosmopolitan city.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Always shyt on the south, but ignore the up north artists who the machine used to start mixing different region's sounds together

Cause that would mean going at Jay-Z, and white supremacy. And they don't want smoke

I'm dissappointed in Rah

Don’t give em that out. The machine didn’t use any of em who weren’t fully ready to be used. They just sold out.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
revisionist history. In the mid 90's the south was completely drowned out by the east and west coast:comeon:

Bullshyt

So Goodie Mob, UGK, Outkast, 8Ball n MJG, Trick Daddy, Scarface, Hot Boys, Juvenile werent going gold and platinum consistently

West coast had their peak from 90-95 with NWA, Chronic, Doggy Style n Death Row. They were falling off towards end of the 90s.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
So Goodie Mob, UGK, Outkast, 8Ball n MJG, Trick Daddy, Scarface, Hot Boys, Juvenile werent going gold and platinum consistently

West coast had their peak from 90-95 with NWA, Chronic, Doggy Style n Death Row. They were falling off towards end of the 90s.

mid-90s? nah.

the south rose to prominence in the late '90s via master p/no limit.

The South has had the game on lock for the longest out of everybody :yeshrug:

no they didn't.

east coast had it from like '73 to '92.

I hear ya.. I also hate ppl who call out people for doing the same thing, their favs do! All the shyt you talked about, NY artists did the same shyt afterwards LOL
ALL them nikkas did songs with those "trash" south artists and rapped on the same beats when $$$ started to look funny

theres nothing southern about this song at all.

and its a song by a young girl, intended for young girls.

Last edited:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
I think we all know which borough And demographic had big part in starting the movement but if not we can always ask krs-one the teacher.
Im from the bronx :patrice: Im more interested on your take on "origins" being:dame:

As far as KRS, i think we should pass on that. S is a legend but is known to be historically inaccurate as it pertains to hip hops origins

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Well

Auto tune (as we know it today...not it's proper usage) really popped off with T pain and Wayne.

The stupid dances kind of begins with D4L and Dem Franchise boyz

Mentally handicap guys singing about their dikks happened with Ying Yang twins.

Ringtone rap started with Flip.

All those garbage ass fruity loop beats became popular thanks to soulja boy.

I hate garbage apologists.

Most of these is false and has these types of vibes,
:mjpls:

This is some die a hero or live long enough to be a villain talk. This is funny though because when the genre started catching a wave it was seen as a novelty act and fad but it’s the most consistent and rising genre, you think this happens by staying the same.

Brehs really out here tryna be the white men of hip hop.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Bullshyt

I dont remember the south being a thing until the late nineties. With juve,no limit and cash money
It was to the point, that 90'snyers got culture shock just listening to southern music at first
The mid nineties was the heart of the west coast east coast beef. The south wasnt in the picture like that overall
The only southern nikkas being bumped was the ghetto boys back than

The south as a region didnt blow up till 2005

The Connoisseurs

Superstar
Daps
Im from the bronx :patrice: Im more interested on your take on "origins" being:dame:

As far as KRS, i think we should pass on that. S is a legend but is known to be historically inaccurate as it pertains to hip hops origins

Someone brought up the stripper culture being a part of hip hop ..

So I asked that poster how does he feel about gay blacks and latino’s from the discotheques and undercovers like Bambataa and them being a big part of hip hop.

Trot LaRoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi/LA
I dont remember the south being a thing until the late nineties. With juve,no limit and cash money
It was to the point, that 90'snyers got culture shock just listening to southern music at first
The mid nineties was the heart of the west coast east coast beef. The south wasnt in the picture like that overall

These acts were all selling hundreds of thousands of records around the country. They didnt get respect from NY until the end of the 90s....but the REST of the country were on it. The South wasnt the dominant national sound until the mid 2000s.....i can agree with u on that.

But Southern acts were eating and getting props early on.

NY cats were just on some arrogant shyt as always so they got on the train late and eventually got rolled over

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Someone brought up the stripper culture being a part of hip hop ..

So I asked that poster how does he feel about gay blacks and latino’s from the discotheques and undercovers like Bambataa and them being a big part of hip hop.
1. U mentioned "origins" which alludes to the black urban disco and funk scene
2. There was never an influx of gay disco/club culture into hip hop origins like there was a clear influx of direct stripper culture into southern music. Your confusing hip hop with house music. Disco at one point was black, street and urban
3. Bambaataa is credited as a pioneer but origins predate him. It would be like saying the origins of rock was:dame: because of pioneers like little richard

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
These acts were all selling hundreds of thousands of records around the country. They didnt get respect from NY until the end of the 90s....but the REST of the country were on it. The South wasnt the dominant national sound until the mid 2000s.....i can agree with u on that.

But Southern acts were eating and getting props early on.

NY cats were just on some arrogant shyt as always so they got on the train late and eventually got rolled over
It wasnt due to arrogance. We just never saw or heard from them
The south wasnt a staple in the nineties culturally to new yorkers or to the west coast

People keep saying ny was arrogant. But forget how insular and ny centric hip hop was in the beginning. Hip hop is nyc street culture at its heart and inception. The concept of a multi regional state to state aspect was foreign to early new yorkers thus getting the :patrice: treatment

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

south really blew up in the late 90's but it took over fully by the mid 2000's