The Role of Black Intellectuals

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
I'm not saying they have to go to a church. I do my work outside my temple. The kids still come. They're eager to learn something.
Good, but I'm talking about community organizations not linked to religion with a network of very well known intellectual speakers. Something like that would almost certainly work. In fact it would be great of Obama started that after his presidency. :wow:

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
Good, but I'm talking about community organizations not linked to religion with a network of very well known intellectual speakers. Something like that would almost certainly work. In fact it would be great of Obama started that after his presidency. :wow:

Obama cannot help our people. He doesn't serve our people. He's Clarence Thomas but on the democratic more politically correct side. I'm not sold.

Like Laury Hill said, "mafia with diplomas keeping us in a coma, trying to own the piece of the american corona"

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
If the black intellectuals of today are out touch with the community in 2013, then what role do they have going forward that will see us progress? It seems as though there is no role for them to take up( judging by some of the responses
I think anything that stimulate young minds is a plus. Whether its learning about the rich history of Africa or learning the basics of math, science, and technology. It would be shortsighted to place too much value on one thing. Sometimes it not even the subject, its the fact someone cares, especially when their family and community do not. I've had people say the kids today are a lost cause, I laughed. They said they are too wild and dangerous, I laughed. These people who lost hope in our children are the problem. There are tons of examples are people making a turn around in their life when their situation improved, and of course there are tragic stories like Proof and C-Murder. This is why I would never lose faith in the youth, because I've been around the worst of the worst and they can be redeemed.

It seems that black intellectuals know all these advance concepts and ideas, but the basics are lost on you, as if rhetoric is more relevant than real world ideas. Still surprised marriage got a Patrice, even though I said nothing about marriage, I spoke of parenting.

The youth need investment and time just like any other community of young people need to thrive and be successful. While we do teach them other subjects, I noticed in particular that they showed a significant interest in African History. Many people who say the youth are a lost cause are usually people who no interest in their communities anyway. If it doesn't effect them, then they aren't bothered with it.

Are you calling me a Black intellectual? If so, then I can tell you with certainty that I am not one. I asked that question because you said the root of the problem lies with families. More than not, people equate families to Marriage and children, not single people having a kid and co-parenting. Patrice got married?

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
The youth need investment and time just like any other community of young people need to thrive and be successful. While we do teach them other subjects, I noticed in particular that they showed a significant interest in African History. Many people who say the youth are a lost cause are usually people who no interest in their communities anyway. If it doesn't effect them, then they aren't bothered with it.

Are you calling me a Black intellectual? If so, then I can tell you with certainty that I am not one. I asked that question because you said the root of the problem lies with families. More than not, people equate families to Marriage and children, not single people having a kid and co-parenting. Patrice got married?

Either-or...waiting for a network of black saviors or black power movements (i.e. Folk nation type gangs or nationalist organizations like NOI or Black Panthers) is getting old, because no one addresses how easily all their good can easily get undone. You know why? Its psychological war, the most potent weapon against any enemy. The best medicine is prevention, parents need to teach kids discipline, respect, and honor, this is the ingredients you need to control your destiny.

One of the reasons I can't listen to Chicago drill rap because I see kids as young as 12 years old holding fully auto high caliber assault rifles, I'm still shaken up by this. But, I would still have no problem talking to these kids. I know the steps it took to take away these kids humanity, the first step is to prevent them from developing a humanity in the first place.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Are they lobbying for a Black only agenda? Or are they including other groups as well ?:patrice:

NAACP is a joke. Half of their members AND supporters aren't even black. We need an entirely new thought process within the black community. One that emphasizes group collective economics, financial responsibility, entrepreneurship, political awareness and the ousting of those who've exploited our community for years (preachers, foreign store owners, and defunct politicians). It's a movement that needs to initiated by our youth and through our youth.You inspire the youth and and the elders will follow.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No...Washington cannot fix ours problems.

why not. There's lobbyist for gays, hispanics, jews. And they've obviously accomplished a lot more than we have in their political agendas because of it. Blacks are the only group of people who blindly cast their votes and wait idly by for those voted in to do something for them.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Either-or...waiting for a network of black saviors or black power movements (i.e. Folk nation type gangs or nationalist organizations like NOI or Black Panthers) is getting old, because no one addresses how easily all their good can easily get undone. You know why? Its psychological war, the most potent weapon against any enemy. The best medicine is prevention, parents need to teach kids discipline, respect, and honor, this is the ingredients you need to control your destiny.

One of the reasons I can't listen to Chicago drill rap because I see kids as young as 12 years old holding fully auto high caliber assault rifles, I'm still shaken up by this. But, I would still have no problem talking to these kids. I know the steps it took to take away these kids humanity, the first step is to prevent them from developing a humanity in the first place.

There are components from both philosophies that I think could be used today such as having leadership that isn't dependent on one person, having a focused and concise agenda that makes everyone accountable, A central code that people follow, and a community focused effort that helps to provide resources such as food and shelter in the community for people that need it. But if you look at the leaders and the central theme of the movements back then, they all had three things in common; They all wanted to provide jobs, food, and shelter for the community before they did anything else. Now the vehicle in which they tried to do those things can be argued til the cows come home, but each organization understood that those fundamental needs had to be met to draw the people in to believe the message they were trying to convey.

I don't live in the Chi but I can relate to what is happening there because similar things have been going on where I live for a number of years.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
why not. There's lobbyist for gays, hispanics, jews. And they've obviously accomplished a lot more than we have in their political agendas because of it. Blacks are the only group of people who blindly cast their votes and wait idly by for those voted in to do something for them.

Yeah, I don't see why we can't use the system to benefit us like other groups.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
There are components from both philosophies that I think could be used today such as having leadership that isn't dependent on one person, having a focused and concise agenda that makes everyone accountable, A central code that people follow, and a community focused effort that helps to provide resources such as food and shelter in the community for people that need it. But if you look at the leaders and the central theme of the movements back then, they all had three things in common; They all wanted to provide jobs, food, and shelter for the community before they did anything else. Now the vehicle in which they tried to do those things can be argued til the cows come home, but each organization understood that those fundamental needs had to be met to draw the people in to believe the message they were trying to convey.

I don't live in the Chi but I can relate to what is happening there because similar things have been going on where I live for a number of years.

Yeah, MC Hammer even said the Black Panther Party started a breakfast program in Oakland.

Providing opportunity to the disenfranchised was at the core of these movements, including the Nation of Islam, People's Nation, and SCLC.

Now its all about getting over on the next man. Building each other up and nurturing a community and our children should be second nature, we see other races are able to accomplish this goal without treating it as a cause.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Yeah, MC Hammer even said the Black Panther Party started a breakfast program in Oakland.

Providing opportunity to the disenfranchised was at the core of these movements, including the Nation of Islam, People's Nation, and SCLC.

Now its all about getting over on the next man. Building each other up and nurturing a community and our children should be second nature, we see other races are able to accomplish this goal without treating it as a cause.

Yeah brotha, it's frustrating trying to get people to see the value in working together towards having flourishing communities where everyone has a chance to live well and fulfill and their potential. Many of our people could care less as long as they are doing good, even though I our future depends on us having a community base to draw power and resources from. The new movement now from what I see are having panel discussions and poor people campaigns that do nothing for the people.

The fact that other groups have cohesion and do this without thinking about it reflects on us more than it does anything else. Then we wonder why brothers and sisters with degrees and prestige still have a hard time trying to find employment and gain business opportunities compared to other groups.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Bravo gentleman. I think its appropriate to highlight these post because this is the image of the Black Intellectual that needs to be at the forefront of the conversation.

Unfortunately the "Black Intellectual" has been a title reserved for what we perceive as monolithic figures.

We need, desperately, for the individuals ages 18 - 30 to bring their skills and knowledge back to the community. We don't need this 1 national figure to rally around.

I agree. Anyone who has the desire and is able to do something for their community should be actively involved in something. There should be a think tank put together that comes up with a concise and detailed plan that can be decided upon and put into action all areas of the country where Black folk are congregated. The plan can be modified to fit the needs of the area, but it shouldn't be deviated from.

Micky Mikey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah brotha, it's frustrating trying to get people to see the value in working together towards having flourishing communities where everyone has a chance to live well and fulfill and their potential. Many of our people could care less as long as they are doing good, even though I our future depends on us having a community base to draw power and resources from. The new movement now from what I see are having panel discussions and poor people campaigns that do nothing for the people.

The fact that other groups have cohesion and do this without thinking about it reflects on us more than it does anything else. Then we wonder why brothers and sisters with degrees and prestige still have a hard time trying to find employment and gain business opportunities compared to other groups.

I think this has more to do with culture. When you have a sense of culture you have sense of communion and solidarity. We've always struggled to initiate a sense of brotherhood amongst ourselves when these things seem to be second hand nature for others. Most groups don't have to create movements and nationalist groups to promote cohesion.
All of this seems to indicate a complete lack of culture. This is why I say a complete shift in thought is needed.