The Role of Black Intellectuals

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
Who do we consider to be this generations Black Intellectuals? And do you feel as though they have done enough?

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After hearing a bunch of John Henrik Clarke vids, when I hear the term black intellectuals I feel like going back further than MLK/Malcolm. People like Booker T Washington, Garvey and WEB Dubois; and before them with Frederick Douglass. There's something about that period that black folks had that we are missing today. Like honest discussion that put everything on the table with real actions behind them instead of a bunch of theoretical solutions and endless marches. Haven't gotten around to digging to deep but I plan on it.

I remember JHC said in one of those vids that he used to read this speech alot and find something new about it everytime by Booker T.
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/39/

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Black intellectuals need to communicate with the people on a level they can understand also.

black intellectuals like to preach to people instead of having a fruitful conversation, using every big word that comes to mind, completely confusing and putting people off.

this is why people like PAC are important, he knew how to speak to his target audience and adjust his language for each audience he happened to be in front at the given time.

I think one of the biggest strengths missing today in our so called leaders is the ability to connect and bridge the gap with the people. What's the use of having an intellect if people cannot understand the message you're trying to get across?

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Yes! He even knows the in's and out's of Hip Hip which is apart of Black Intelligence whether people accept it or not.

Have you read all of his work? He does not offer strategic alternatives to local, state, and global hegemonic practices in our communities; have you heard waht he says about the racial disparities in income and net worth? No because he doesn't address it in depth; he speaks, and condescendingly if you ask me, about black self-improvement, which is important, but he doesn;t acknowledge what we are really up against. In other words, he refuses to identify the racial oppression as a system because it is: it has gears, mechanisms, and it mutates over and over again; Therefore, he can't suggest strategies that are progressive

FunnyJulius

Rookie
Daps
Lupe (even though he's annoying with it). Michael Eric Dyson, Kevin Powell. just a few I know off the top of my head.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Who do we consider to be this generations Black Intellectuals? And do you feel as though they have done enough?

Check my post I named alot and there are so many more that people don't know about because they are not "mainstream" with white society; Adolph Reed, Jr., James Jennings, Sundiata Cha-Jua, Abdul Alkalimat, Harold Cruse, Alton Hornsby, Jr., Aldon Morris, Richard Smith, Clarence Lang, Hasan Jeffries, John Arena, Robert Chrisman (RIP), Akinyele Umoja, mack Jones, and there are so many more and we are growing by the day

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
After hearing a bunch of John Henrik Clarke vids, when I hear the term black intellectuals I feel like going back further than MLK/Malcolm. People like Booker T Washington, Garvey and WEB Dubois; and before them with Frederick Douglass. There's something about that period that black folks had that we are missing today. Like honest discussion that put everything on the table with real action behind them. Haven't gotten around to digging to deep but I plan on it.

Main thing I remember what JHC said in those videos discussing those figures is that, those leaders had a plan and a goal set for their people. There was a energy there that was hopeful and

I remember JHC said in one of those vids that he used to read this speech alot and find something new about it everytime by Booker T.
http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/39/

That's an interesting point. I think the circumstances of the time forced them to look at the plight of black America at the time with candor and a need to connect because the collective and not just individuals could be undone by the system. Not to mention I think the love they had for the people gave them the passion to accomplish what they did.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
I think one of the biggest strengths missing today in our so called leaders is the ability to connect and bridge the gap.

and the white supremacist power structure understands this all too well which is why Black children are being miseducated in the public school system, many of them graduating high school not even able to read at their grade level.

it's so fukked up that we can't put on a Malcolm x tape and let it play for the kids of this generation, they can't keep up with the English language enough to even grasp the message. it's frustrating as hell to these kids that someone is speaking their native language (English) and they can't even understand it unless it's being spoken in a broken and reduced manner.

we can't keep sending our children to public schools and expecting them to function at the level we need them to.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
and the white supremacist power structure understands this all too well which is why Black children are being miseducated in the public school system, many of them graduating high school not even able to read at their grade level.

it's so fukked up that we can't put on a Malcolm x tape and let it play for the kids of this generation, they can't keep up with the English language enough to even grasp the message. it's frustrating as hell to these kids that someone is speaking their native language (English) and they can't even understand it unless it's being spoken in a broken and reduced manner.

we can't keep sending our children to public schools and expecting them to function at the level we need them to.

I wish I could spread rep to you because you are on the right path, brother.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Check my post I named alot and there are so many more that people don't know about because they are not "mainstream" with white society; Adolph Reed, Jr., James Jennings, Sundiata Cha-Jua, Abdul Alkalimat, Harold Cruse, Alton Hornsby, Jr., Aldon Morris, Richard Smith, Clarence Lang, Hasan Jeffries, John Arena, Robert Chrisman (RIP), Akinyele Umoja, mack Jones, and there are so many more and we are growing by the day

I know. I caught the names of the people you posted. Some of them I know and some are unfamiliar.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps

This is too true. And what is also telling is that many of our youth aren't even on reading level to attend community college, let alone a four year school. I am apart of this organization that fosters youth to be committed to service in their communities. In the program we put them through leadership, finance, and academic workshops and at first I was shocked at how poor their reading levels were. It was important for them to comprehend the concepts of the program early on because they were going to be given actual budgets with real money to create a service project. But many of them needed extra attention and help to be able to read at a 9th grade level.

So we enrolled them in tutoring classes to improve their speech and reading skills and throughout the course of the academic year, ALL of them began to improve. It's not impossible to help our youth break out of the darkness if we are able to be the light that guides their way.

Last edited:

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
Does anyone know of any Black Lobbyists in Washington that are SOLELY dedicated to pursuing a BLACK agenda in Washington?

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
This is too true. And what is also telling is that many of our youth aren't even on reading level to attend community college, let alone a four year school. I am apart of this organization that fosters youth to be committed to service in their communities. In the program we put them through leadership, finance, and academic workshops and at first I was shocked at how poor their reading levels were. It was important for them to comprehend the concepts of the program early on because they were going to be given actual budgets with real money to create a service project. But many of them needed extra attention to read at a 9th level.

there are millions of our youths across the country in this very same situation, not being able to read at the proper level leaves a lot of these kids feeling defeated and they develop a disdain for learning altogether, and they turn to "alternative routes" of getting what they need out of life, they don't even attempt job interviews because they know their lack of English skills will be exposed, this is a vicious attack and a silent war being waged against our people, they're literally engineering us to end up on the wrong side of the law in such a way that when these kids start getting into trouble, the blame will fall on the kids and not the education system that miseducated them.

I genuinely appreciate what you do for these kids.

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
When you say black intellectuals, who are you referring to? We must understand that just because they're black and may seem to have a solution or opinion on black advancement doesn't truly mean their heart and intentions are in the right place. I'd say that they're vital within the community but folks have this belief that we must break down barriers in the already codified political system that supports for the extension and expansion of white supremacy. We must be willing to UNIFY as a collective bunch to educate ourselves in business, agriculture, finances, politics, civics, government...but within our own nation. A nation will be built once we have those aspects covered. We started commerce. When the palefaces saw us along west africa or down in the nile, we showed them trade and commerce. It's not hard to sell. But, it's hard to sell to each other. We believe that the Europeans have more to offer and more proficient at doing business then our own. I don't care what a King Alfred/Rex 84 plan has to say, knowledge and unity is the best thing we can do. Attacking that white man through commerce with each other will start that revolution we all speak of. That self hatred must leave your mind before we can grow with each other.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
there are millions of our youths across the country in this very same situation, not being able to read at the proper level leaves a lot of these kids feeling defeated and they develop a disdain for learning altogether, and they turn to "alternative routes" of getting what they need out of life, they don't even attempt job interviews because they know their lack of English skills will be exposed, this is a vicious attack and a silent war being waged against our people, they're literally engineering us to end up on the wrong side of the law in such a way that when these kids start getting into trouble, the blame will fall on the kids and not the education system that miseducated them.

I genuinely appreciate what you do for these kids.

It broke/ breaks my heart seeing the frustration and tears flow down their faces when they can barely pronounce words such as "abomination", or "strategic". No can say they aren't trying because I see the amount of effort and time they put in to improve their situations. Not only are they ill-prepared to go to college, but they also are ill-prepared to enter a workforce that is becoming more technical by the day. And the telling thing about it is that there are no safety nets for them to fall into to increase their chances of success. When you take into account that we have a fractured community where as a collective it can't supports its members properly to succeed, your going to have systemic problems where the youth are lagging behind financially and academically.