The Role of Black Intellectuals

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
Black intellectuals need to communicate with the people on a level they can understand also.

black intellectuals like to preach to people instead of having a fruitful conversation, using every big word that comes to mind, completely confusing and putting people off.

this is why people like PAC are important, he knew how to speak to his target audience and adjust his language for each audience he happened to be in front at the given time.

I don't believe that's so. That's saying our ppl are not educated enough to understand. They understand, but agree with the doctrine.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
When you say black intellectuals, who are you referring to? We must understand that just because they're black and may seem to have a solution or opinion on black advancement doesn't truly mean their heart and intentions are in the right place. I'd say that they're vital within the community but folks have this belief that we must break down barriers in the already codified political system that supports for the extension and expansion of white supremacy. We must be willing to UNIFY as a collective bunch to educate ourselves in business, agriculture, finances, politics, civics, government...but within our own nation. A nation will be built once we have those aspects covered. We started commerce. When the palefaces saw us along west africa or down in the nile, we showed them trade and commerce. It's not hard to sell. But, it's hard to sell to each other. We believe that the Europeans have more to offer and more proficient at doing business then our own. I don't care what a King Alfred/Rex 84 plan has to say, knowledge and unity is the best thing we can do. Attacking that white man through commerce with each other will start that revolution we all speak of. That self hatred must leave your mind before we can grow with each other.

When I mention intellectuals, I am referring to the Black intelligentsia that have influence in our community including but not specific to academics, civic leaders etc. Even though I agree that we need to be self sufficient in the areas you mention, I am puzzled as to how we are to build a "nation" of our own in the U.S. Are you advocating for a movement back to Africa?

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
I believe its the responsibility of the black intellectual to spread the knowledge and educational revolution to the urban centers where the majority of black citizens live. The reason is that we have studied extensively the causation of racial oppression and hegemony and understand certain trends that can be broken to lead to solutions; in addition, we must use Academia to push these measures forward; Instead of just submitting journal articles and books detailing the black experience, we need to submit multiple versions so they can read at various levels, even going down to the elementary level. Early development of the critical analysis tactic can really propel our people. The black intellectuals must first be dedicated to spreading truths and solutions to hinder oppression and progress the race and get off the neo-conservative "its all blacks people's fault because they are lazy" bullshyt; we must spread the ideas of loving each other and coalition building to younger people and really revolutionize how education is spread throughout the majority population. Its a long, extensive, exhaustive process, but it can be done if we work together in systems and break the class antagonisms. I have tons of ideas on how all of this will work and I'd be happy to share more in the future, but this is a general answer that should get the discussion going. Im a realistic optimist: the shyt will be hard, but it is not infeasible
And what platform will they use to educate these ideas?

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
The NAACP are lobbyist.

That said, the modern day black intellectual is out of touch with black culture, leaving him without much influence on our community.
:yeshrug:

Are they lobbying for a Black only agenda? Or are they including other groups as well ?:patrice:

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
This is too true. And what is also telling is that many of our youth aren't even on reading level to attend community college, let alone a four year school. I am apart of this organization that fosters youth to be committed to service in their communities. In the program we put them through leadership, finance, and academic workshops and at first I was shocked at how poor their reading levels were. It was important for them to comprehend the concepts of the program early on because they were going to be given actual budgets with real money to create a service project. But many of them needed extra attention and help to be able to read at a 9th grade level.

So we enrolled them in tutoring classes to improve their speech and reading skills and throughout the course of the academic year, ALL of them began to improve. It's not impossible to help our youth break out of the darkness if we are able to be the light that guides their way.

That's commendable work. I myself work with youth from the ages of 14-18. I have a session every Wednesday 6 pm to 9pm. Last 3 weeks haven't had any classes throw the building renovation but we're back on track. But, I even open the doors to kids a little older. Our aim is to keep them off the street but it's still to educate them. We offer classes on civics, finance as well, agriculture, health & holistic medicine. The list goes on. My focus is on civics, law and history. Initially, I was surprised myself to see the lack of reading or understanding on basic things but the interest of them learning was there. This is a disgrace towards the educational system today that doesn't elevate the interest level of these young black and latino students. In order to grasp their attention, you must teach something that they can relate to. You cannot teach puerto ricans about Shakespeare when they don't understand that they're the aboriginal Taino people. The same with blacks. We cannot start our history as when slavery starts. Innately they think they are nothing. That inferiority complex kick in quick thinking the European is still your master when we taught them.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
that's a damn good question that I spend everyday trying to figure out.

I also don't believe that Washington can fix our problems.

I don't see it as much as begging the government to wave a magic wand as much as I see it as us gaining the clout needed to effectively build our own institutions that make us a viable group that is able to compete for resources and power.

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
When I mention intellectuals, I am referring to the Black intelligentsia that have influence in our community including but not specific to academics, civic leaders etc. Even though I agree that we need to be self sufficient in the areas you mention, I am puzzled as to how we are to build a "nation" of our own in the U.S. Are you advocating for a movement back to Africa?

No, this is our land. The rights of indigenous people is not a Federal Government acknowledgement, it's an international acknowledgement. But, the nation must first be standing. The inalienable rights and charter is protected alone by that decree and law.

Suicide King

#OldBlack
Daps
Broken families are the root of the problem, its like treating a cough with Tylenol. Bill Cosby was ridiculed, and with his Doctorate in Education, he really focused on key points. His problem is he is too condescending, even for people like myself who felt he was welcomed voice.

Carter G. Hoodson

Tarik is my name ✊✊✊
Daps
Reppin
East Orange, NJ
And what platform will they use to educate these ideas?

What kind of platform you want? Their media? Right.... I can care less about a republican or democratic convention. Use what's in front of you. Social Media and the Internet alone is the new platform. With internet access alone, you can reach millions of folks here and abroad.

J-Nice

Supporter
Daps
That's commendable work. I myself work with youth from the ages of 14-18. I have a session every Wednesday 6 pm to 9pm. Last 3 weeks haven't had any classes throw the building renovation but we're back on track. But, I even open the doors to kids a little older. Our aim is to keep them off the street but it's still to educate them. We offer classes on civics, finance as well, agriculture, health & holistic medicine. The list goes on. My focus is on civics, law and history. Initially, I was surprised myself to see the lack of reading or understanding on basic things but the interest of them learning was there. This is a disgrace towards the educational system today that doesn't elevate the interest level of these young black and latino students. In order to grasp their attention, you must teach something that they can relate to. You cannot teach puerto ricans about Shakespeare when they don't understand that they're the aboriginal Taino people. The same with blacks. We cannot start our history as when slavery starts. Innately they think they are nothing. That inferiority complex kick in quick thinking the European is still your master when we taught them.

We teach latino students as well and we have latino teachers and interpreters with us when we go through our sessions. One of the things I noticed early on was the growing fascination the students had for learning when it came to knowing about Africa and other subjects outside of the European paradigm. It so much in fact that some of them asked to be taken on field trips and read books on various subjects. I could see the pride in their eyes in the fact that they were learning about people who looked liked them and held positions of power and did great things outside of being slaves. Recently we were having discussions on whether to include the parents in any of our workshops as well.

ChatGPT-5

Superstar
Daps
What kind of platform you want? Their media? Right.... I can care less about a republican or democratic convention. Use what's in front of you. Social Media and the Internet alone is the new platform. With internet access alone, you can reach millions of folks here and abroad.
In which case there's already loads of youtube channels, vimeo channels and websites. How are they working?