The Roland Martin Discussion Thread

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
we cooked outchea, aint we mayne?:mjcry:

But let Rollie and his type tell it all black people need is a desk and two cameras and we should be competing with CNN and MSNBC.

People don't understand how lucky we are to have something like youtube where you can get your channel popping with a relatively low barrier to entry.

Someone like Phil from the Advise show is doing his thing, has a million subscribers on youtube but that's not the same as owning a Network who control whole markets like Clear Channel.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Thanks for the advice, Brother Obvious.

51zJ7spIT9L._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

history_gordy_2.jpg

MOD-639101_OMagazine-October2010.jpg

dr-dre-beats--1399926675-view-1.jpg

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
You don’t have to compete with CNN and them but you can exist. Remember when Phil has that witness from the cop that shot bruh in Dallas? Do you understand how major that was? All the stations had to use HIS shyt and credit HIM. She didn’t go to any other network after that either. People watch BET when some bullshyt is happening and these white folks know that, that’s part of why they run the BET Awards on all them Viacom stations and shyt. If somebody black states a news product and it gets popular they will have to come to you no matter what. Trying to compete with major networks is not the wave no more... you don’t even have to try to do that shyt now.

Of we can do things on a smaller scale but does Phil's channel make enough that he can hire additional staff, reporters etc?

It's good that we can present these thing on a format like youtube that saves the content producer costs and gives you access to a wide audience but like I said before it's not the same as being part of a conglomerate that not only controls the TV channels, but the newspapers, websites and radio stations.

It's only so much bootstrapping you can do in this era.

Even something that started out independent like the Young Turks had to get some big financial backing

Worthless Loser

Blackpilled
Daps
You nikkas are jokes. If Tariq or Yvette said this ya'll would be dikkriding like you normally do. But since it's from someone ya'll dont like ya'll make idiotic posts. I dont even like the militants you clowns idolize but that doesn't mean they dont have good messages sometimes.

This message is old though. Whites have been using our culture, music and fashion to make money for decades. White people hate us, but love our culture.

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
Even if Roland is right on this, this take seems self-serving now that he needs regular black dollars for his own productions since he lost his cable show, his CNN pundit spots, and his Clinton hookup.

Roland's whole middling boule talk show lane is drying up as the younger black audience is gravitating to blavity intersectional fukk shyt or B1 militant, nonmainstream voices.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
You nikkas are jokes. If Tariq or Yvette said this ya'll would be dikkriding like you normally do. But since it's from someone ya'll dont like ya'll make idiotic posts. I dont even like the militants you clowns idolize but that doesn't mean they dont have good messages sometimes.

This message is old though. Whites have been using our culture, music and fashion to make money for decades. White people hate us, but love our culture.
Even if Roland is right on this, this take seems self-serving now that he needs regular black dollars for his own productions since he lost his cable show, his CNN pundit spots, and his Clinton hookup.

Roland's whole middling boule talk show lane is drying up as the younger black audience is gravitating to blavity intersectional fukk shyt or B1 militant, nonmainstream voices.
Roland is connected with more powerful black people than Tariq, Yvette, Boyce, and Antonio Moore combined. and i'm a fan of all of these people.

Roland can get any black politician on the phone for his INTERNET SHOW and none of his peers can.

Some of yall are playing games out here lowkey...

Roland is very much needed and is a central figure in black political life.

And his command of black history and black political history is ASTOUNDING.

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
Roland is connected with more powerful black people than Tariq, Yvette, Boyce, and Antonio Moore combined. and i'm a fan of all of these people.

Roland can get any black politician on the phone for his INTERNET SHOW and none of his peers can.

Some of yall are playing games out here lowkey...

Roland is very much needed and is a central figure in black political life.

And his command of black history and black political history is ASTOUNDING.

Boule negroes like Roland have connections precisely because they are not going to rock the boat. That's not a virtue. I watch Roland's show. There's a space for him and more black voices in general, so I didn't like what TV ONE did, but Roland wants to be in their rooms and still come around black folks. White people shut that lane down. He's part of a dying political class of black folks who wielded power because we were the largest minority group. Those days are over. We just legacy, token front row status for other coalitions now.