How do you monetize a culture?
Ask these men;

635038030.jpg.0.jpg

jimmy_iovine_and_dre_defiant_ones_premiere.jpg

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Too bad we wouldn’t buy from ourselves. If we owned the hair, liquor and fast food businesses in our hoods, we’d be more than vocal about their negative impact on the community overall and probably wouldn’t support. It seems like we never have an issue with things until one of us begins to capitalize from it. Then all of a sudden there are suggestions, even demands on what that black person SHOULD be doing. You don’t get that otherwise.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Rollie is up there crying about no media covering is youtube show lol.

My issue with this is that people go straight to "black people hate ourselves", "even if there was a black business we wouldn't support".
Stop repeating these fukking tropes! It's like yall nikkas want this to be true so fukking bad.

People like Rollie never talk about some of the barriers to entry in some of these industries. It's hard to compete when your competitor has a lower operating cost, already has a foothold in the market and the capital and social connections. It's deeper than "black folks get jealous" and all this nonsense.

"If black folks stop buying Nike and made our own shoe..."

"If every black person chipped in four dollars...."

:beli:

In my experience black folks want to support black businesses but we just don't have much wealth over all as a people to fund large industries. The black business will have to make their profit off the general society, and I won't be mad at them.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Rollie is up there crying about no media covering is youtube show lol.

My issue with this is that people go straight to "black people hate ourselves", "even if there was a black business we wouldn't support".
Stop repeating these fukking tropes! It's like yall nikkas want this to be true so fukking bad.

People like Rollie never talk about some of the barriers to entry in some of these industries. It's hard to compete when your competitor has a lower operating cost, already has a foothold in the market and the capital and social connections. It's deeper than "black folks get jealous" and all this nonsense.

"If black folks stop buying Nike and made our own shoe..."

"If every black person chipped in four dollars...."

In my experience black folks want to support black businesses but we just don't have much wealth over all as a people to fund large industries. The black business will have to make their profit off the general society, and I won't be mad at them.

I feel you, but when you see we can buy millions in movie tickets and chicken sandwiches, our collective “wealth” is stronger than we give it credit for. It’s just a matter of utilizing it in a more productive way.

screenname01

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gambled on what? There were only white people running in 2016? Are you saying Roland should have voted for Bernie? :ld:
:ld:roland martin shouldve voted for roland martin and stayed his azz right behind that journalist desk instead of trying to play political kingmaker. in a minute, hillary and bernie are both gonna fade into cac bolivia and theyll both be just fine with their $$$millions. come 2020, youll never hear from roland again as a journalist on any of the major news networks. and tariq, yvette, pbt, black authority etc are gonna use his youtube endeavors and aspirations as a cat scratching post.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Rollie talkin that black owned media stuff trying to shame black folks like it's our fault that there are no large black owned media outlet but fails to mention that Telecommunications Act that Bill Clinton signed making it damn near impossible for small media outlets to compete.

Huda2daf

Superstar
Daps
I wasn't paying attention to Roland martin in 2016 so my perspective of him is kinda different than some of y'all that seem to still be mad at him for whatever he did for hrc but him and his crew be dropping some gems sometimes when I catch his show. I don't understand y'all hate frfr

analog

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This some captain obvious shyt.

Every other race has all manner of businesses and services catering to their own community, no shyt black folk should be doing the same.

Haven't watched the video, but is he addressing the systemic discrimination in banking, property, govt offices, etc that has held black folk back in mass? As well as improving the accessibility, and quality of education so more of us are in a better position to overcome these obstacles.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Rollie talkin that black owned media stuff trying to shame black folks like it's our fault that there are no large black owned media outlet but fails to mention that Telecommunications Act that Bill Clinton signed making it damn near impossible for small media outlets to compete.

Honestly, this is the 1st time I've heard about this. :francis:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
:ld:roland martin shouldve voted for roland martin and stayed his azz right behind that journalist desk instead of trying to play political kingmaker. in a minute, hillary and bernie are both gonna fade into cac bolivia and theyll both be just fine with their $$$millions. come 2020, youll never hear from roland again as a journalist on any of the major news networks. and tariq, yvette, pbt, black authority etc are gonna use his youtube endeavors and aspirations as a cat scratching post.

To be fair, Roland wasn't the only black person to come up and kiss the ring. People far more famous than him did so. Ex: Stevie Wonder.

But you're right, he should have been more of a journalist and less of a wannabe trendsetter/gatekeeper at that time.

• Dap
Reactions: IVS