The Roland Martin Discussion Thread

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is one of the best, simple explanations of black conservatives they live in a nation and world that doesn’t exist:wow:
I'm not a conservative and probably won't ever be one because I'm just generally lax about the human condition and the need to adhere to myths and superstitious outside of creating the circumstances for everyone's general welfare....but these conservatives really believe in this fake society perspective of roles and obligations that just don't exist.

Hell, I'm open to debating non-religious conservatives. At least they're not openly gullible, but black conservatives are just confusing to me.

Theres three types of black conservative.

1. Literal c00ns. Mostly religious but they buy anything mainstream conservatives say. Candace Owens, Jesse lee peters, burgess Owens.

2. Conservatives who are small government. they vote republican but aren't actual c00ns. These black conservatives will call out republican racism. Thank Michael Steele or Tara Setmeyer.

3. Conservatives who republicans are too racist for. these will vote for democrats but not be that to the left politically. Obviously not c00ns.

Now mind you, I think the guy in the OP is somewhere between 1 and 2.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
:snoop:

Woodson with that "things were much better under segregation" revisionist history.

The wealth gap still existed during segregations and not all Black businesses were thriving like people try revise history and make us believe. Most of those businesses probably couldn't expand and didn't have access to good capital. That has been the issue since the Freedman's Bureau. It wasn't just "the white man's ice is colder" syndrome and Black people abandoning black businesses just to buy from the Great Whitey like people keep pushing (including Claude Anderson sadly).

Ending segregation wasn't just about getting next to whitey but having the same access to resources and benefits due to us as citizens of this country.
I hate that argument with a passion. Its so ahistorical and neglects the starvation of resources. Of course we had more amongst ourselves but the quality was low because we were prevented from expanding beyond that. Sure, you had more black barbershops, but you had fewer black people who could get higher education or learn advanced skills to actually move the needle.

Having more of less isn't "more"

skylove4

Veteran
Daps

Woodson with that "things were much better under segregation" revisionist history.

The wealth gap still existed during segregations and not all Black businesses were thriving like people try revise history and make us believe. Most of those businesses probably couldn't expand and didn't have access to good capital. That has been the issue since the Freedman's Bureau. It wasn't just "the white man's ice is colder" syndrome and Black people abandoning black businesses just to buy from the Great Whitey like people keep pushing (including Claude Anderson sadly).

Ending segregation wasn't just about getting next to whitey but having the same access to resources and benefits due to us as citizens of this country.
Exactly, but let some of these c00ns tell it. We were better off before integration and we all lived fairy tale lives and every community was like black Wall Street mixed with pleasantville :francis:

Bumblebreh

Collecting honey and money
Daps

Not even probably.As you can imagine the level of discrimination when it comes to lending, renting business premises and paying much more for much less. Paying extortionate mortgages and selling off land at under the market value.

The idiots that speak highly about segregation did not l have to live through segregation. I often wonder if conservatives actually believe in capitalism.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
black conservatives live in a country that doesn't exist though and its annoying to hear them try to pretend otherwise.
Haven't listened/watched the debate.

But in terms of social conservatives,there is one thing I respect about the ones who actually walk that talk.
Regardless of what society or people around you are doing, your values define who you are. Stand on your square.

Old school traditional values still mean something to some of us.

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I don't understand this first sentence.
"Their jobs and education made families a necessity"?

Sorry to be clear, Black women had jobs put lower level like in agriculture, domestics, secretaries, etc. Also men had a higher level of education overall. Therefore, women were not economically in a position to make single motherhood viable for most households.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359

I hate to say it but that argument is a Coli staple. There are a lot of good histories of Black Business that you can read and while they praise Black entrepreneurs they were very shackled in terms of capital and markets they could serve. Also, the most lucrative and wealth building opportunities in government contracts were basically shut off to them. The biggest thing I regret is that retail establishments in Black areas are now rarely owned by Blacks, but immigrants serving Blacks in our neighborhoods has gone on for a while. Carter Woodson talked about it in Miseducation.

In addition, most people don't like to mention that then (and now as well) Black businesses were really small employee-wise. Granted most small businesses are small but I am not sure how major a force of employment Black businesses were. Outside of some banks, publishers, and insurers many didn't have more than family plus an employee or two. I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the percent of the Black population employed by Black businesses over time. Probably hard to do but I have a sinking feeling that even in the so-called "golden age" of Black business, they weren't employing anywhere near a majority of us.

This is not to be anti-entrepreneurship (disclaimer: I own a small business) but we also need to be honest about what history was and was not.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Haven't listened/watched the debate.

But in terms of social conservatives,there is one thing I respect about the ones who actually walk that talk.
Regardless of what society or people around you are doing, your values define who you are. Stand on your square.

Old school traditional values still mean something to some of us.
Thats not the problem though.

Minding your business isn't what happened to black people in the USA. It always been outsiders trying to undermine it.

Theres no amount of "stand on your square" that will fix this. People HAVE to call out fukkery. Conservatives see this as whining though. They almost have a religious affinity towards the sort of "grin and bear it" nature while people are suffering. They see it as sacred and pious and a right of passage. Its an order of magnitude removed from a generic death cult.

The only ones pushing this "do well for yourself" bullshyt are the ones who essentially want you to ignore racism and bigotry and white supremacy unless its actual violence. Theres black conservatives who want people to even ignore racial slurs. Its dehumanizing and complete surrender.

Even with all the degrees, experience, and knowledge...black people STILL have to apply for jobs, get promotions, etc.

Black people can't even elect their own politicians. They dont even have the numbers. They HAVE to appeal to non-black people because the districts are drawn in such a way that a black majority candidate rarely if ever wins on black support alone.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I hate to say it but that argument is a Coli staple. There are a lot of good histories of Black Business that you can read and while they praise Black entrepreneurs they were very shackled in terms of capital and markets they could serve. Also, the most lucrative and wealth building opportunities in government contracts were basically shut off to them. The biggest thing I regret is that retail establishments in Black areas are now rarely owned by Blacks, but immigrants serving Blacks in our neighborhoods has gone on for a while. Carter Woodson talked about it in Miseducation.

In addition, most people don't like to mention that then (and now as well) Black businesses were really small employee-wise. Granted most small businesses are small but I am not sure how major a force of employment Black businesses were. Outside of some banks, publishers, and insurers many didn't have more than family plus an employee or two. I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the percent of the Black population employed by Black businesses over time. Probably hard to do but I have a sinking feeling that even in the so-called "golden age" of Black business, they weren't employing anywhere near a majority of us.

This is not to be anti-entrepreneurship (disclaimer: I own a small business) but we also need to be honest about what history was and was not.
Trump's father got rich on building public housing backed by the federal government.

Thats the little secret with all this stuff. A lot of this wealth comes from the strict control of contracting and limited resources. This is precisely why voting matters. This is how black majors changed black cities through government. Look at Atlanta for example.

This is what Roland is always talking about. Theres a lot of black businesses but none of significant scale or size and fewer of them are interested in acquisition and growth. Most black businesses are so small they might as well be called side hustles.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Not even probably.As you can imagine the level of discrimination when it comes to lending, renting business premises and paying much more for much less. Paying extortionate mortgages and selling off land at under the market value.

The idiots that speak highly about segregation did not l have to live through segregation. I often wonder if conservatives actually believe in capitalism.
Precisely. The whole misattribution of the "I fear I led my people into a burning house" meme from MLK is used by black Neo-conservatives (you see many online) who think they're making edgy or insightful comments about black economics.

Meanwhile their homes were undervalued, their schools had insufficient funding, and the few medical facilities they had were purposely handicapped.

Its one thing to have black institutions, but the quality of them was always going to be directly and purposely limited in scale, scope, and quality because of legally permissible discrimination. There was always a glass ceiling.

The myth that just "we were better alone" misses out on what we did not have access to, even if all we had was each other.

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman

Word. I have to read these books. I know they go into detail about what you talked about.

9780999007204.jpg

194929._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
All these youtube wanna be pro blacks like Tariq and others are beyond trash