The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Some people know. We're in a really interesting but maybe scary era of human history. There's never going to be a point in our lives when things don't change dramatically from year to year.

Humans became so advanced because we had to use mind power to adapt to our changing environment. Now we're entering an age where we even have to adapt to our own humanity and artificial intelligence.

The bolded is what people aren't really prepared for. You're going to need to be multi-talented in the future. Celebrities nowadays are more than one song and dance; rappers are actors, athletes are rappers, businessmen are media-personalities. The same will hold true for normal people; you'll need to be at the very least bilingual, business-saavy, tech-saavy, social media-saavy, hold some kind of degree, be in shape, etc. And you'll need to update these skills every 2-3 years.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
if people can afford it then why not
Most definitely. It's better than dead malls and retail space continuing to lose value taking up unnecessary space. More than likely that's going to be the future for them. I've already been seeing it. They'll keep the thriving parts of the retail spaces intact while building housing around it and add restaurants and grocery stores or sonething.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Malls are moving more towards entertainment and restaurants because people will always want food especially white people cause they cant cook.the palisades mall in Nyack are adding mad VR shops and escape mystery rooms to keep the crowds alive with a few retail shops sprinkled in

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
The bolded is what people aren't really prepared for. You're going to need to be multi-talented in the future. Celebrities nowadays are more than one song and dance; rappers are actors, athletes are rappers, businessmen are media-personalities. The same will hold true for normal people; you'll need to be at the very least bilingual, business-saavy, tech-saavy, social media-saavy, hold some kind of degree, be in shape, etc. And you'll need to update these skills every 2-3 years.

I honestly think its going to be a much bigger change given a few decades. If you think about it, there's very little a human can do that a computer can't do better. There will need to be a complete overhaul of modern society. Why get a degree if an AI can still do the job better than you?

Once AI reaches a certain level there's no reason to allow a human to control something an AI could do better. And we'll allow this because its just better. If society adapts to this it could be fantastic, if it adapts too late there's going to be all kinds of problems.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I honestly think its going to be a much bigger change given a few decades. If you think about it, there's very little a human can do that a computer can't do better. There will need to be a complete overhaul of modern society. Why get a degree if an AI can still do the job better than you?

Once AI reaches a certain level there's no reason to allow a human to control something an AI could do better. And we'll allow this because its just better. If society adapts to this it could be fantastic, if it adapts too late there's going to be all kinds of problems.

Oh, I think it's going to be bleak for quite some time. I used to think civilization would be fine because computers can't be creative, but now they're even trying to automate creativity. In enough time, there won't be a need to create or produce on large enough scale that warrants having a job/career/industry.

Until humanity learns to operate without monetary compensation it will only get progressively worse for decades. That interim is going to be a fukked up time period.

ShaDynasty

Daps
Oh, I think it's going to be bleak for quite some time. I used to think civilization would be fine because computers can't be creative, but now they're even trying to automate creativity. In enough time, there won't be a need to create or produce on large enough scale that warrants having a job/career/industry.

Until humanity learns to operate without monetary compensation it will only get progressively worse for decades. That interim is going to be a fukked up time period.

Some people advocate for universal basic income, a standardized living salary for everybody but I think most politicians will catch on to this idea too late.

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Some people advocate for universal basic income, a standardized living salary for everybody but I think most politicians will catch on to this idea too late.

UBI will never replace a typical 50k-60k a year job. Just like social security will never replace a 90% pension making 7k a month.

No one will have the purchasing power to buy the stuff they automate. So it kind of defeats the purpose.

ShaDynasty

Daps
UBI will never replace a typical 50k-60k a year job. Just like social security will never replace a 90% pension making 7k a month.

No one will have the purchasing power to buy the stuff they automate. So it kind of defeats the purpose.

Yes, but society is already headed in this direction even with those problems approaching.

In the interim there could be an even greater disparity between the haves and have nots. You'll either have an executive high powered job or nothing.

Also I think its likely that money as we know it will cease to exist. Its a matter of timescales, and it won't happen overnight but theres no reason to expect that things won't change. If artificial intelligence can actually do a better job at human things, people won't need a 60k job to live an amazing life.

That sounds idealistic, and it is. We could very easily be heading into a dystopia this century.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection

Andrew Yang's platform is interesting but I think he is about 15 years too early.

The thing about automation is, I think prices will drop tremendously. I don't think UBI will cover everything, but I think it will cover the necessities and maybe some leisure activity. A 60k a year job no, but maybe it will be like 25k a year. And with, in my mind prices dropping, 25k will cover rent, utilities and food. Then you will have these sporadic gigs that cover leisure or self improvement.

These corporations and subsequent price drops won't so much be in place to maximize profits, but to maximize power/market share and to ensure that power never changes hands.

I think the major problem that automation brings is lack of social mobility IE neo feudalism, and ultimately I think a tremendous depression epidemic will emerge developing from a lack of purpose and hope in life. I don't think there will be widespread violence and unrest, because at the very least the population will have shallow entertainment opportunity like virtual reality and the like.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
This opens up space for housing
giphy.gif

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Services is what this country is about going forward.

Supply Chain/Logistics is booming. Better learn to drive a forklift. :francis:

Those jobs aren't going anywhere.
Might want to talk to study about this. They were almost fully automated 5 years ago. These jobs will die too. Customer services already being automated too. Going to a warehouse model is NOT good for job creation in the long it medium term

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Honestly, there's a going to be massive increases in crime as people with more free time and idle hands will come to resent their loss of purpose.

Cyber crime will explode.
And con artists will be everywhere.

I think Yang touched on this a little with Truck drivers.

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker

Yeah. Met with our quality engineer the other day she was cute so I looked her up on LinkedIn. She has her Bachelors degree in Engineering and not too long ago got her Masters in Business Administration and some business certs I can’t remember but what I’m saying is you have to be well rounded these days.