The retail apocalypse has officially descended on America

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You can do supermarket shopping online and it works well, that's not going to save retailers.

Very few people are going to shop for groceries online.... people who aren't mobile and people under the age of 26 maybe..... but people who actually cook will still go out and pick their produce/meats/vegetables

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Very few people are going to shop for groceries online.... people who aren't mobile and people under the age of 26 maybe..... but people who actually cook will still go out and pick their produce/meats/vegetables

Its just a matter of time, but its already happening to some degree. I can see retailers trying all sorts of wacky shyt to keep people coming over the next 10 years.

But there will probably be a way of literally picking out your own veg and meat through a camera in a warehouse by then.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I was just at the newest mall in San Diego, in La Jolla, one of the wealthier areas on the Southern Cali coast, yesterday, millions and millions invested in dining/shopping options, and it's active, day and night, whether people who are shopping or going out for drinks/dinner. I went to my spots, and had lunch at a new Dim Sum place, but what that says is rising inequality. The malls of my childhood, are closer to like a TGI Fridays, the lower/mid end of the economy, but a robust part, now it's not that way, and the high end is continuing, (look at Hudson Yards in NYC for further proof, I was there last month, you can drop $500 in 5 minutes in Niemans, and go have lunch at David Chang's new place in the same 100 feet or so), but the lower class places are dying, rapidly, and are replaced with probably new developments residential and commercial that those of that class can't afford, another former of gentrification. That segment of the economy is now who drives Lyft, Uber, etc etc all the gig economy to just hang on.

Last edited:

ShaDynasty

Daps
People are going to sell their own futures down the river for convenience.

It might not be that bad in the end, but you have to figure the next 20 years are going to be rough for anybody with a low skill job. New technology is at the very least going to completely change the way companies operate, if it doesn't kill them outright.

Companies like Uber are betting on being able to lay off all their drivers in the future and replace them with self driving cars. Its naive to think all companies aren't thinking like this. Meanwhile, societies all over the world are completely unprepared for the change and its potential danger...

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
It might not be that bad in the end, but you have to figure the next 20 years are going to be rough for anybody with a low skill job. New technology is at the very least going to completely change the way companies operate, if it doesn't kill them outright.

Companies like Uber are betting on being able to lay off all their drivers in the future and replace them with self driving cars. Its naive to think all companies aren't thinking like this. Meanwhile, societies all over the world are completely unprepared for the change and its potential danger...

I made a post in another thread echoing exactly what you said. Even used Uber as my example.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
I was just at the newest mall in San Diego, in La Jolla, one of the wealthier areas on the Southern Cali coast, yesterday, millions and millions invested in dining/shopping options, and it's active, day and night, whether people who are shopping or going out for drinks/dinner. I went to my spots, and had lunch at a new Dim Sum place, but what that says is rising inequality. The malls of my childhood, are closer to like a TGI Fridays, the lower/mid end of the economy, but a robust part, now it's not that way, and the high end is continuing, (look at Hudson Yards in NYC for further prove), but the lower class places are dying, rapidly, and are replaced with probably new developments residential and commercial that those of that class can't afford, another former of gentrification. That segment of the economy is now who drives Lyft, Uber, etc etc all the gig economy to just hang on.
I just read an article saying the rich are paying premium for human interaction. They want less gadgets and tech and more experiences with human beings. I definitely see the lower and middle class letting tech control their lives while the wealthy pay to still interact with each other and enjoy social environments/daily life.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Pretty sure I read that too, in NY Times, maybe 2 weeks ago, tech (for lack of a better word) started with the wealthy, and now has become a thing of the commons, which means it will be reversed again.

Never been too into "tech", though I have all the latest stuff I care about, Iphone, Airpods, Lyft and AirBnb are the only apps on my phone.

Regarding malls, it's like pushing out the common masses from even the malls, which were once safe havens. In Hudson Yards, there are a few spots where anyone can eat, or shop, but 90% are above the average persons price point, or even cultural awareness. Average man isn't looking to have dinner in Thomas Keller's new steakhouse, nor with a family of 4 can he afford it.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Stayed at my sister's spot for a couple weeks last year and all her neighbors were fat fukks.

I noticed Amazon flex drivers, Fed ex, ups, Uber eats, Postmates etc etc were pretty much the only cars going in and out of that subdivision.

ShaDynasty

Daps
I made a post in another thread echoing exactly what you said. Even used Uber as my example.

Some people know. We're in a really interesting but maybe scary era of human history. There's never going to be a point in our lives when things don't change dramatically from year to year.

Humans became so advanced because we had to use mind power to adapt to our changing environment. Now we're entering an age where we even have to adapt to our own humanity and artificial intelligence.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
Come 2025 the physical retail landscape is going to look like a ghosttown.

Seriously at some point some of these dead malls are going to have to be bulldozed they are really starting to serve no purpose anymore and that mixed usage stuff where they convert them into offices for businesses and community centers doesn't work as well as thought.