The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I tried to watch this movie on Sat and couldn't sit through it. Ali was a lively, joyful person. Why did they play him as such a brooding character.

I personally loved the movie. As far as your post, in my opinion I think the joyous, charismatic icon you see on highlight reels and other old footage was there in he film. One of my favorite scenes in the movie is when he walked the streets of Harlem with Malcolm X and the relationship he had with fans was shown, the scenes showing his pre fight interactions with other boxers-Liston, Terrell, Foreman, his interviews with Cossell played by Voight, his court ship of women and how he was a natural around them. However the movie showed racism, the possibilities of him going to jail, going broke, the failings of several marriages, and those things show a different side of the man. A more realized, complete man is shown in my opinion

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Ali's passing has people really changing their views on the film and Will is finally getting true props for the role. People gave him props back then and he was nominated for an Oscar and Golden Globe but I don't think people really gave Will the true credit for how it was to convey such a Legendary figure. It's one of those things that because this is the official bio-pic and Ali has passed away it becomes the definitive movie of his career. "When we were Kings" actually won an Oscar and was an amazing documentary but Documentaries don't travel as far as Bio-pics. Will being an Iconic International Superstar will only help film's legacy. They said Home Video sales for the movie have increased dramatically and television is already lining up showtimes to play it. Will lost to Denzel for the Oscar because they owed Denzel just as Denzel lost Malcolm X to Pacino because they owed him. I still think this was Will's best shot at an Oscar but maybe they will get him back one just as they did for Denzel and Pacino. So though some of us has issues with the film just know now it will be considered a Classic because of Ali's Legendary Life.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Way too much disrespect thrown at both Spike and Mann in this thread. They're both great directors its just that Spike would've been a better fit for this particular film

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The irony:mjlol:

I personally dont think X is that great of a biopic,so im not that confident Spike wouldve blown it out of the water....Spike had his chance to show Malcolms relationship with Muhhamad Ali,instead he decided to show himself and denzel at the juke spot,and this stupid relationship Malcolm had with this white woman:pachaha:....left out some noteable people in Malcolms life....but bruh this was a dope scene

I had problems with Ali though,ill have to run it back too,X got worst to me over the years more than it bothered me when i first saw it.

I thought Alis wives got too much screentime too:comeon:

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Columbia bosses are reported to have been relieved by the decision, who worried that in Lee's hands the Ali project would be more racially charged and therefore less marketable. "They felt it would become a narrow, militant movie," admits an unnamed studio source. "They thought Mann could deliver a more mainstream movie."

:mjpls:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I personally dont think X is that great of a biopic,so im not that confident Spike wouldve blown it out of the water....Spike had his chance to show Malcolms relationship with Muhhamad Ali,instead he decided to show himself and denzel at the juke spot,and this stupid relationship Malcolm had with this white woman:pachaha:....left out some noteable people in Malcolms life....but bruh this was a dope scene

I had problems with Ali though,ill have to run it back too,X got worst to me over the years more than it bothered me when i first saw it.

I thought Alis wives got too much screentime too:comeon:

Agree to disagree bruh :yeshrug:

Buuut u may wanna read this lol

Columbia bosses are reported to have been relieved by the decision, who worried that in Lee's hands the Ali project would be more racially charged and therefore less marketable. "They felt it would become a narrow, militant movie," admits an unnamed studio source. "They thought Mann could deliver a more mainstream movie."

:mjpls:

The movie was completely sanitized

N711oir

All Star
Daps
Hollywood doesn't promote and actively blocks:whoa: any collective all "black" films or projects. Unless of course it's some big screen comedy to be laughed at:krs:.

:ohlawd: love spike films. But recently he's been disconnected from what made him great:yeshrug: I'm convinced a lot of them don't actually do the directing anymore just primarily in name only like ghost writing not just him along with some of the other accomplished directors.

Plus :francis: you know Hollywood would make sure a fictitious characters story is told better than a real champions

We also may be hiding the fact that will actually not that great of an actor :yeshrug:

He's Hollywood's tofu :russ:
He's been stripped of all character and soul they love him in the caucus mountains he's not intimidating:shaq:

He plays the same stale mentally vegetated role in every movie .

He explained in interview before how he picked films would do block buster action flick then do passion project riding the wave of action film. Now without those action films you're left with these uninspiring performances :francis:

Bootzilla

Direct from the chocolate milkyway
Daps
Reppin
Hampton va
Movies was :trash: to me felt like an indy movie and not in a good way. Will smith though he showed some signs but was so uncharismatic it felt like some little boy pretending to be muhammad ali.
But i think the stories of him c00ning are
:duck: