The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
I thought it was good :yeshrug:

However, maybe its the fact that its more a collage of "great scenes" thrown together to make a movie. The flow wasnt there, but it was solid.

It should have been great so thats why it gets hate.

But then again doesnt that sum up Will Smith's career?

This was probably his most challenging role.....and even that was scaled back. Ali WAS viewed as a BAD GUY by cac media. However, he was able to pull it off with a flair like no other. He was real and didnt give a fukk what anyone thought.

Will Smith passed on The Matrix. He passed on Django Unchained (now we can argue about whether the character was the "lead" or if it just fit the spaghetti western narrative another time)

Think back to all of Will's movies. What was a "great film"

Hancock? I was hyped as hell for this movie..... "A black superhero who dont give a fukk?" Ultimately it was a letdown.

I Am Legend? I thought Will did a a damn good job acting. But again....the movie should have been much better.

Pursuit of Happyness? Solid, but too lifetimeish for me. It was the 80s Reagan era and the shyt was just too light hearted.

I, Robot? Average at best

and so on and and so on.

He's got talent. He's just too comfortable as an actor though. He and his team want to make movies that bring in the most cash instead of having the most playback.

I aint knocking him cause he's getting paid. But Will should be doing more as an actor.
agreed 100 %

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Spin it anyway u wanna spin it to make yourself feel better. Men can walk into his house and fukk his wife lol
nikka said make me feel like, like I'm involved with them....

I'm just pointing out the details. Watching your woman being fukked by another man is some borderline homo shyt.. Acting like you both single and living your lives is infinitely better

the cool

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
shoulda let coogler direct ali. he did a great job with creed

pretty sure coogler was 8 when the movie came out and he would of made a better movie

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Re-Watching it right now.

There is some Great stuff in this movie. MIchael Mann totally nailed the craft of it. I think Spike would have made a more memorable movie. With Spike there is a feeling that he does sort of lose his way in his films sometimes.

I get Will Smith being a little gun shy thinking about it. Coming off of Girl 6, He Got Game, Summer of Sam, Bamboozled (at the time) all those movies had pacing issues and sort of went left for a while being coming back. Still love He Got Game although it could have been simpler (prostitute wasnt even needed). However, with 25th Hour that following year it was still Spike at the peak of his powers.

Mann nailed the technical aspects...just didnt have the flair or spirit for Ali. I feel like this would have great as a mini-series.

I think Ryan Coogler would be perfect for making an Ali movie today. He could blend what Mann brought to the table and what Spike would have brought as well.

Probably good to get a lesser known actor for Ali.

Edit: Spike would have got Denzel back for Ali if he did it tho right (back in 2001)?

Last edited: