The Reason that "Ali" was a boring ass mess was becuz of Will Smith

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I thought Will did good in "Ali" the problem I have with the film is the script and Michael Mann. It should of been Spike Lee so we can get Ali's FULL life story. You know why "Ray" worked? We saw the Full Life from childhood on. They didn't show his childhood, they didn't show him starting to box for the 1st time. They just fast forward to him already boxing. Also why do we need to see "The Rumble in the Jungle" as the main focus of the film when we just got the documentary 4 years before that. So did Will do good? Yes. Did he embody Ali's swag? Sure. But there were other issues with the movie looking back that I felt they could of done a better job on. God I wish Spike got to Direct it with Will and the same cast. I like Michael Mann but not on this film.
Blame Will's dumb ass

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
Not really since when does America support Black Historical films? "Malcolm X" flopped, "Ray" didn't do that great either. "The Color Purple" with Speilberg behind it could gross 100 Million. "Amistad" and "Rosewood" both flopped. Ali did respectable numbers when you look at the box office for Black Historical Figures or Black historical films.
Nah it didn't

According to Box Office Mojo, the film ended its run with a gross of $48,169,610.

It's budget was $33 Million

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Nah it didn't

It's budget was $33 Million

That's a flop in hollywood standards bro. It didn't recoup it's budget. Spike had to borrow money to get it finished cuz the studio cut him off. Looking back Spike did an amazing job with such a low budget. Watching the film was so epic in scope, it looked like a 100 Million budget. It was a period piece too.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
That's a flop in hollywood standards bro. It didn't recoup it's budget. Spike had to borrow money to get it finished cuz the studio cut him off. Looking back Spike did an amazing job with such a low budget. Watching the film was so epic in scope, it looked like a 100 Million budget. It was a period piece too.
Oh I know all about him having to brrow money to fund the film

And lol @ Ali costing $100 million dollars. Wtf were they thinking smh

Spike did much better with much less

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Oh I know all about him having to brrow money to fund the film

And lol @ Ali costing $100 million dollars. Wtf were they thinking smh

Spike did much better with much less

Exactly, Spike did X with 33 Million. Imagine if he had 100 for Ali. Good Lord. I think the James Brown movie would been better with Spike too and that bombed bad. See Black Historical Figures gets NO respect @ the American Box Office.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
One thing to consider is 'Ali' came out just 2 years after 'The Insider', Mann usually takes 5 years between films….Personally Mann is my favorite director, I remember seeing 'Ali' in theaters, and I liked it, it's not my kind of movie, but I thought Mann did a great job, I just think his strength is not historical dramas, but crime thriller/dramas….

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
I thought will was excellent as Ali, but like its been stated before, the movie itself was a lil off....

now who would you have had play Ali if you chose spike over Will?