The Queen's Gambit (Limited Series)(Netflix) - Anya Taylor-Joy the Gawdess

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
lsbfcn79x8w51.jpg

8l4hyo79x8w51.jpg

03lb9q79x8w51.jpg

body-image3.jpg
They looked swagged tf out dawg. Some of the very few cacs that can kill it fashionwise.

Daps
Despite ATJ's efforts, I couldn't help but feel a detachment where I didn't really care for her character, which made it less of an emotional journey, and more of a re-run of the same act, over and over, strumming the same chords. There were no breaking points for Beth's addiction, childhood trauma, sexuality, and the existence of her genius in solitude, which it needed to have in order to balance out the ennui of the chess runs.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Am I the only one made uncomfortable by the magical negro trope (Jolene)?

Still a decent show otherwise.
They tried to give Jolene a sucess story and a life and personality of her own but they still fell a bit short. If Queen's Gambit gets a second season, it would be cool if they expand on her story more or even make her the focus of the season.

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Was Mr. Wheatley moving weight or something? fukk was his job?
There's a subtle scene in the 2nd episode where Beth's looking out her window and you can see his car drive past even though he's supposed to be out of town. He never went anywhere :mjlol:

The job was just an excuse to live his second life, he didn't love his wife anymore and even admitted he never wanted to adopt Beth.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
There's a subtle scene in the 2nd episode where Beth's looking out her window and you can see his car drive past even though he's supposed to be out of town. He never went anywhere :mjlol:

The job was just an excuse to live his second life, he didn't love his wife anymore and even admitted he never wanted to adopt Beth.
Nah, there's a bit more to it than that. I think it's the scene when Beth calls him after Alma dies and he's in some dark motel room. Next to him on a table (out of focus) there's a baseball bat. He seemed to be in some kind of trouble, which is why he initially didn't care about the house until much later (when he probably needed to pay up).

My issue is mainly that it's kept so incredibly vague and matters so little it just feels like a plot device to use him only when necessary throughout the series and have him conveniently away when not needed.

Kind of the same way Jolene returns just to fix everything for Beth.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Nah, there's a bit more to it than that. I think it's the scene when Beth calls him after Alma dies and he's in some dark motel room. Next to him on a table (out of focus) there's a baseball bat. He seemed to be in some kind of trouble, which is why he initially didn't care about the house until much later (when he probably needed to pay up).

My issue is mainly that it's kept so incredibly vague and matters so little it just feels like a plot device to use him only when necessary throughout the series and have him conveniently away when not needed.

Kind of the same way Jolene returns just to fix everything for Beth.

I agree there has to be more to it than that, plus someone was informing Mrs Wheatley about him being "detained", I tried searching to see if it was discussed by the writers etc.. but haven't found anything yet. You are likely right, it was intentionally vague as a plot device. Also agree that Jolene should have played a bigger part throughout the whole series or she never should have reappeared after Beth left the orphanage.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Great show. I've had trouble explaining to people exactly why it's good, but it is good. ATJ is obviously the thing that sells the show, plus dope cinematography and the addiction-obsession story is relatable.

I still have 2 eps left.