The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The X99 will be outdated in 2017...and knowing how you spazz out by not having the bleeding edge tech. The Z97 is the smarter choice for you right now because what game is recommending DDR4 RAM at this point anyway?

Yeah, the CPU is crazy but the highest end processors reach a point of diminishing returns past a high end i5 :yeshrug:
it's true :ld:

I gotta few months to decide anyway. I was just bored today thinking about my new build. I expect AMD to come out with those 390xs soon. If they're as good as the rumors, I may be going back to AMD. Nvidia is pissing me off right now. Bullshyt sli driver support these past few months. Titan 2's though....so I dunno. It'll be a real interesting next few months. It's got me excited

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Serious question. X99 or Z97?

X99 has more cores and better ram, but that's pretty useless right now, but who knows with dx12.

Z97 has higher clock speeds and will be broadwell compatible and is obviously cheaper, but the new broadwell mobos will have new features we won't see on z97 even though it'll accept the chips.

I just don't know brehs. Broadwell isn't until 2016 now they're saying.

6 cores just seems so nice :ohlawd:, but the low clock speeds worry me. I can't guarantee I can overclock it to 4.0 or higher. I'm used to being at 4.5, I dunno if I can go back down to the 3s.

The only WIndows OS that will support DX12 is Windows 8 and anything after it...

I plan on going broadwell on my next system because of the new features

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
no, but I heard about something like that. and I heard it's malware that trades away all your steam items :whoa:

someone pm's me a link to a screen shot but it just took me to a blank page...i did not download or install anything.
i changed my password immediately just to be safe though.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
someone pm's me a link to a screen shot but it just took me to a blank page...i did not download or install anything.
i changed my password immediately just to be safe though.
here's what I heard about:

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/rogue-scr-file-links-circulating-in-steam-chat/

We mentioned rogue .scr files being passed around the Steam network (specifically, in chat) in September, and they seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

We’ve noticed a number of posts on both Steam forums [1], [2], [3], [4] and elsewhere talking about messages sending potential victims to bit.ly URLs. Typically, the scammers are sending fake Steam Marketplace trade offers, and the supposed “picture” of whatever virtual item they’re offering up is actually an .scr file which will run should the victim double click and execute it.

The Bit.ly URL displayed in the Tumblr post linked above currently has 2,000+ clicks – and that’s just one random example.

There’s sure to be a lot more clicking going on elsewhere. Users of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will find we detect the file offered up as Trojan.Inject (VirusTotal 33 / 54, Malwr analysis).

A search for .scr files on the Steam Community forums reveals quite a lot of fresh “I opened this .scr file and now I’m having a bad hair day” posts in the last few days, so please ensure you avoid any and all links sent via Steam chat which lead to .scr files.

Just because the name of the file says “IMG” at the start doesn’t mean it’s actually an image file. The extension in these cases is the giveaway, and users of Steam should ensure they’re not being set up for a harsh lesson in digital shenanigans.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
have they said that for sure?

Microsoft themselves have not but everyone who works with API's in any field have said microsoft will not be supporting it on anything before windows 8

Also Hudley over at AMD let it slip that they it won't be...then had to backtrack with the "oh he doesn't know he doesn't work at microsoft"...

"Unofficially" some of the dev's at my job have already been told that if they plan to use direct x 12 for anything then they need to be moving to a windows 8 machine if they don't have one already

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The only WIndows OS that will support DX12 is Windows 8 and anything after it...

I plan on going broadwell on my next system because of the new features
Yeah, I'm on 8.1 now. My new system will be too unless 10 is out by then.

I wish broadwell was coming out sooner.

It seems like z97 is the way to go though according to you and liquid. It is the smarter gaming choice

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
my girl just copped a new laptop...Toshiba, i5, 8gb ram, 500 gb hd...and windows 8.

christ...windows 8 is fukking retarded.
all this bullshyt pre-loaded onto the apps screen?
where the fukk is the Start button?

it's a fukking nightmare.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
my girl just copped a new laptop...Toshiba, i5, 8gb ram, 500 gb hd...and windows 8.

christ...windows 8 is fukking retarded.
all this bullshyt pre-loaded onto the apps screen?
where the fukk is the Start button?

it's a fukking nightmare.

auto-start to desktop mode and pin everything :win:

No need for a start button at all.