The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just stick it out for a lil while..maybe cop the 980s around Feb or March..they should more than likely be out by May or June...
If my system can remain stable that long. If I can't fix these crashes, then I dunno what I'm gonna do.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:why: a thumb drive? man my mobo just has a software feature that updates it. I feel for you breh:wow:

As for the testing, I've never done it but this is straight off the A+ course, you could use a POST tester. I just found this it has a PSU tester and a POST tester

The other thing that I suggest is to check out the Event Viewer in windows. When your computer freezes it'll log it and MAYBE that can help you pinpoint where it is. I wish I could be way more specific and helpful but you're dealing with 100s of parts the best I can do is look at things from a different angle for you. Keep posting what happens I'm on all the time and I like figuring this stuff out.
What should I look for in windows event viewer? I've actually never used that before. I'm gonna run ACU till it crashes (as it crashes the quickest with that shyt). I'll go into event viewer right after that and see what it says (if anything)

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
What should I look for in windows event viewer? I've actually never used that before. I'm gonna run ACU till it crashes (as it crashes the quickest with that shyt). I'll go into event viewer right after that and see what it says (if anything)
:deadmanny:

It should have a red error symbol or maybe Yellow i forget. Just look for things that would match up to what's running.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:deadmanny:

It should have a red error symbol or maybe Yellow i forget. Just look for things that would match up to what's running.
I was just looking at windows event viewer and looking at my last crash. It just says Kernel-power event ID 41 Task Category 63. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Is there somewhere else I should be looking. That shyt didn't seem too helpful.

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
I was just looking at windows event viewer and looking at my last crash. It just says Kernel-power event ID 41 Task Category 63. "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. The error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

yeah that really isn''t helpful. I'm looking around on the Internet and some people say it could be a PSU issue.

you're not overclocking right? That would cause voltage issues.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
yeah that really isn''t helpful. I'm looking around on the Internet and some people say it could be a PSU issue.

you're not overclocking right? That would cause voltage issues.
Yeah my cpu is overclocked. I took the overclock off and still got crashes though, so I don't think that's it

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Your system crashes to a BSOD when it freezes playing games??

If it does,make sure windows is configured to dump a log of the BSOD when that happens. You can analyze the dump file with a program called Bluescreenview.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Your system crashes to a BSOD when it freezes playing games??

If it does,make sure windows is configured to dump a log of the BSOD when that happens. You can analyze the dump file with a program called Bluescreenview.
It only bsod once. Every single other time it just freezes

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Yeah my cpu is overclocked. I took the overclock off and still got crashes though, so I don't think that's it
I'm sorry man I'm out of ideas other than there is probably a physical problem. The PSU tester could help, it may not. You could try starting the computer up with different pieces unplugged, I had a problem where my front panel USB ports were shorting out my motherboard.

Obviously you want to try everything before dropping some money on a new PSU. Or you could buy one, try it and then return it if it doesn't fix the problem.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I'm sorry man I'm out of ideas other than there is probably a physical problem. The PSU tester could help, it may not. You could try starting the computer up with different pieces unplugged, I had a problem where my front panel USB ports were shorting out my motherboard.

Obviously you want to try everything before dropping some money on a new PSU. Or you could buy one, try it and then return it if it doesn't fix the problem.
Yeah, I'm gonna flash the bios right now I think. If that doesn't work maybe I'll get a new PSU. I currently have a 1200w gold thermaltake. I shoulda went corsair, but I figured with gold it would be good. @2gunsup warned me that it was a shytty PSU, but it got good user reviews and only cost $200 something. I dunno if it's the problem or not. A new PSU is still cheaper than other components though. I can throw $300 down on a good one if I need to

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Yeah, I'm gonna flash the bios right now I think. If that doesn't work maybe I'll get a new PSU. I currently have a 1200w gold theraltake. I shoulda went corsair, but I figured with gold it would be good. @2gunsup warned me that it was a shytty PSU, but it gets good user reviews. I dunno if it's the problem or not. A new PSU is still cheaper than other components though. I can throw $300 down on a good one if I need to
1200W? What video card are you using?