The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Son...what do u actually want when it comes to PC gaming..write out a list...maybe I can offer some help from there..
I think it's clear. I want 5760x1080 ultra 45 fps+ on most games. That's why I need 2 cards.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Furmark 45 minute test resulted in no artifacts and a max temp on gpu 1 (which happens to be my bottom GPU for some reason) of 86. GPU 2 max temp of 66. It shoulda stopped at 83c I think, but 86 isn't bad. Can I even RMA this at all, or am I SOL? <sigh>

I have ASUS direct CUII OC cards with the fans on the bottom, that's why one GPU is a lot hotter than the other. I know, I know, I shoulda got reference cards. I fukked up. :snoop:

homiedontplaydat

Omniversal Guardian
Supporter
Daps
Breh, I just went through a 5 month process of replacing my broken board, video card, PSU and CPU. :mjcry:
I've been struggling since June to get all my shyt fixed :mjcry:
I don't even have a console, so that's 5 months without a single game :mjcry:
I finally get all my parts right last week :blessed: started it up and it went into an infinite Windows loop :mjcry:
I had to go out and buy a $100 external drive, then use Command Prompt to xcopy my entire C: drive over and reinstall Windows :mjcry:
After all this I log in and see my outdated Steam Library :patrice: I ended up playing Binary Domain until 4 in the morning :mjcry:
Be a PC gamer, brehs :mjcry:

:mjcry: Maybe the "peasants" are right, maybe this pc shyt just isn't worth it. :mjcry:

After I updated all my drivers now afterburner is fukked up :mjcry:

Be a PC gamer, brehs :mjcry:

:mjlol:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Well updating the drivers did nothing. Still freezing (at least in ACU). Goddamnit. I don't know what to do. I did a deep scan on my hard drives and no problems there. I updated every possible driver to the latest version. I have no idea what to do to fix my computer. shyt's just absurd. I spend thousands on this shyt and it just constantly breaks. I guess we'll see what happens next week with far cry 4 and dragon age (as I already bought those games), but if I get freezes with that shyt I think I'm calling it quits. I'm gonna take the loss. shyt's just not worth it anymore. If Frys can fix it great, if not, I'll just chalk it up to a poor purchasing decision. PC gaming isn't worth it if I have to constantly deal with this bullshyt.

As a plus, if my shyt doesn't get fixed, none of you will have to hear me bytch in this thread anymore :heh: (I will join the dark "peasant" side though :ufdup:)
It could be the power supply or the motherboard or heating issues.

When I installed my FX-8350 my games would freeze and be stuck in an audio loop. When I left the side panel open to get more cool air in there it didn't happen anymore. Bought a couple case fans and an EVO 212 now my shyt is quiet and runs cool.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It could be the power supply or the motherboard or heating issues.

When I installed my FX-8350 my games would freeze and be stuck in an audio loop. When I left the side panel open to get more cool air in there it didn't happen anymore. Bought a couple case fans and an EVO 212 now my shyt is quiet and runs cool.
It might be my motherboard. My temps are good now that I got the fans going at blast.

I think my psu is good. 1200w for everything, but how do I check to make sure it's okay? I can run fire strike and prime 95 on a loop for an hour (I've tried this) and it doesn't shut down (that's 100% cpu and 100% gpu, so the most power it would ever need). And when my shyt freezes, it doesn't shut down. It just freezes and I have to hard restart.

Matter of fact how do I test my motherboard? What can I do to make sure that's okay?

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
It might be my motherboard. My temps are good now that I got the fans going at blast.

I think my psu is good. 1200w for everything, but how do I check to make sure it's okay? I can run fire strike and prime 95 on a loop for an hour (I've tried this) and it doesn't shut down (that's 100% cpu and 100% gpu, so the most power it would ever need). And when my shyt freezes, it doesn't shut down. It just freezes and I have to hard restart.

Matter of fact how do I test my motherboard? What can I do to make sure that's okay?
That's weird, so it only freezes on games? No other apps or the OS? If I'm not mistaken artifacts mean that you're overclocking too high.

To test your PSU you need a PSU tester, which isn't too expensive and should be in your toolkit anyways. I have this one, it's kind of confusing but it works
Now that I think about it though I don't think it's your PSU. Maybe your RAM went bad? You can run full GPU and CPU but do stress tests involve RAM?

I'm not to certain on testing motherboards, but have you updated the bios? My computer froze on Saint's Row 3 and then was fixed by updating the BIOS

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
That's weird, so it only freezes on games? No other apps or the OS? If I'm not mistaken artifacts mean that you're overclocking too high.

To test your PSU you need a PSU tester, which isn't too expensive and should be in your toolkit anyways. I have this one, it's kind of confusing but it works
Now that I think about it though I don't think it's your PSU. Maybe your RAM went bad? You can run full GPU and CPU but do stress tests involve RAM?

I'm not to certain on testing motherboards, but have you updated the bios? My computer froze on Saint's Row 3 and then was fixed by updating the BIOS
I tested my ram last night with memtest86+ for 8 hours. No problems there.

I don't have artifacting, so no problems there either. And yeah, it only freezes on games.

I haven't updated my bios in a while. I guess I could try that. shyt is an enormous pain in the ass with asus though. I gotta go buy a specific thumb drive and update it through some flash back shyt. It's a fukking pain in the ass. I wish there was an easier way. But it's worth a try I guess. :manny:

But I gotta figure out this motherboard shyt. How do I test that?

Thanks for the help though breh

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA

I don't have artifacting, so no problems there either. And yeah, it only freezes on games.

I haven't updated my bios in a while. I guess I could try that. shyt is an enormous pain in the ass with asus though. I gotta go buy a specific thumb drive and update it through some flash back shyt. It's a fukking pain in the ass. I wish there was an easier way. But it's worth a try I guess. :manny:

:why: a thumb drive? man my mobo just has a software feature that updates it. I feel for you breh:wow:

As for the testing, I've never done it but this is straight off the A+ course, you could use a POST tester. I just found this it has a PSU tester and a POST tester

The other thing that I suggest is to check out the Event Viewer in windows. When your computer freezes it'll log it and MAYBE that can help you pinpoint where it is. I wish I could be way more specific and helpful but you're dealing with 100s of parts the best I can do is look at things from a different angle for you. Keep posting what happens I'm on all the time and I like figuring this stuff out.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:why: a thumb drive? man my mobo just has a software feature that updates it. I feel for you breh:wow:

As for the testing, I've never done it but this is straight off the A+ course, you could use a POST tester. I just found this it has a PSU tester and a POST tester

The other thing that I suggest is to check out the Event Viewer in windows. When your computer freezes it'll log it and MAYBE that can help you pinpoint where it is. I wish I could be way more specific and helpful but you're dealing with 100s of parts the best I can do is look at things from a different angle for you. Keep posting what happens I'm on all the time and I like figuring this stuff out.
I'm kinda scared to flash the bios. I was just reading up on it, and everybody is like "don't do it unless you absolutely need to. It could seriously fukk up your shyt :whoa:" I'm gonna rule out other options first, but it might be what I have to do.

I'm gonna run prime 95 and firestrike for an hour now to test that again. If my temps are good and it doesn't shut down, I'm gonna call the PSU good along with the GPU and CPU. Fair?

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Next step should be to try the reference 980s...get EVGA..they have a free upgrade system if u upgrade within 90 days...just make sure u cop em atleast close to a time when the higher gig versions drop...
Yeah, that's why I don't wanna buy now, but who knows when the 8gb 980s will drop :to:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

Damn son..my Mobo updates thru software...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Damn son..my Mobo updates thru software...
My is supposed to as well, but ASUS fukked that up. Nobody anywhere can get that to work. Nobody. I checked for hours one day. ASUS is supposed to make the best mobos, but they make it the hardest to update your bios. shyt's fukked up.