The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
2 or preferably 3 980s. Some may even say you need to get titan blacks for the 6b vram.

*waits for everybody to disagree with me*

I won't bother posting benchmarks, apparently they can't be trusted :mjlol:, but you can easily see why you need that many cards if you do some research

damn thats a shyt load of cards :lupe:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Alien: Isolation @1440p & 158fps on a single gtx 780

gjbB5al.jpg

:yeshrug:

Breh come on now don't be that PC dude...you literally found the darkest room you could...with every thing being rendered a simple square or rectangle...and then made a screenshot...

I can easily do the same with say...simcity...at 4k resolution...I could just build two roads, put some houses on them...let it sit for awhile and my frame-rate would end up in the thousands...since all i am rendering is two brown lines and 25 rectangles...

Your right corner is looking VERY blurry for this to be 1440 P as well...maybe the game is designed to make it look this way though...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
To be clear the 4K monitor was recommended over the 1440p one because it is the same price and is more future proof. 4K gaming is still very expensive when you factor in the cards.

It's the future though. 1440p is gonna get passed over, whether we like it or not :manny:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
To be clear the 4K monitor was recommended over the 1440p one because it is the same price and is more future proof. 4K gaming is still very expensive when you factor in the cards.

It's the future though. 1440p is gonna get passed over, whether we like it or not :manny:

u can 4k game on one monitor though right?

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
so basically we cant game with full 1440p HD on 1440p unless u rocking 2 gpu's? U know im new to this PC shyt so i need all the details when i upgrade my shyt this Feb.

Depends on what you mean by "can't game"...

All Ultra everything SSAA set to as high as it can be (which would be a very dumb thing to do)...no...you are going to have some games that you won't be able to get a consistent frame rate with just one card unless you are talking about something super high end ( titan type card)...and if you are going to say "I don't play on Ultra" I will ask "why are you worried about getting a better resolution then if you don't care about graphics?"

I'd wait until The Witcher 3 and GTA V come out before I decide on what cards to get...

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Breh come on now don't be that PC dude...you literally found the darkest room you could...with every thing being rendered a simple square or rectangle...and then made a screenshot...

I can easily do the same with say...simcity...at 4k resolution...I could just build two roads, put some houses on them...let it sit for awhile and my frame-rate would end up in the thousands...since all i am rendering is two brown lines and 25 rectangles...

Your right corner is looking VERY blurry for this to be 1440 P as well...maybe the game is designed to make it look this way though...

:krs:

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas

Until Microsoft fixes desktop scaling I wouldn't go 4K. :flabbynsick:

Looking at a 1440p and a 4K monitor side by side at 27, 28 inches, I can't tell the difference besides everything being microscopic on the 4K panel. 4K is indeed the future, with the better panels that will be out then. Only 4K panel I'd recommend for gaming is the Acer 4k Gsync one, but that then ties you to Nvidia hardware and its not besting the Rog Swift.

Depends on what you mean by "can't game"...

All Ultra everything SSAA set to as high as it can be (which would be a very dumb thing to do)...no...you are going to have some games that you won't be able to get a consistent frame rate with just one card unless you are talking about something super high end ( titan type card)...and if you are going to say "I don't play on Ultra" I will ask "why are you worried about getting a better resolution then if you don't care about graphics?"

I'd wait until The Witcher 3 and GTA V come out before I decide on what cards to get...

4K with SSAA on would probably just shut down a nikkas system. :pachaha:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Until Microsoft fixes desktop scaling I wouldn't go 4K. :flabbynsick:

Looking at a 1440p and a 4K monitor side by side at 27, 28 inches, I can't tell the difference besides everything being microscopic on the 4K panel. 4K is indeed the future, with the better panels that will be out then. Only 4K panel I'd recommend for gaming is the Acer 4k Gsync one, but that then ties you to Nvidia hardware and its not besting the Rog Swift.
Yeah that's the monitor I was referring to. Win 10 will probably fix that scaling shyt (one can hope).

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

:rudy: I took that screenshot there because it was by where I saved, and I thought the lighting looked nice. the whole game is dark. I also turned down settings to get the framerate up there, but that was part of my point. personally I play at 1440p (downsampled to 1080p) vsync'ed to 60fps

here's some more:

llX942w.jpg

JfyrGR3.jpg

shyt probably looks blurry because of the game's 'film grain' and the jpeg compression on top (1440p screenshots are too big for abload.de)

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
:rudy: I took that screenshot there because it was by where I saved, and I thought the lighting looked nice. the whole game is dark. I also turned down settings to get the framerate up there, but that was part of my point. personally I play at 1440p (downsampled to 1080p) vsync'ed to 60fps

here's some more:

llX942w.jpg

JfyrGR3.jpg

shyt probably looks blurry because of the game's 'film grain' and the jpeg compression on top (1440p screenshots are too big for abload.de)

But looking at random gameplay vids I don't see even a hint of "film grain":comeon:

The lighting looked nice in a dark corner with two lights that have no shadows :comeon:

You post 2 more screenshots of lighting...no shadows anywhere near the lights :comeon:

You going on and on about graphics and what cards can do at an above 1080p resolution only to tell us you down sampling to 1080p :comeon:

So I agree...that if everyone games at 1440p like you do...turning down graphical settings AND downsampling to 1080p...yeah...they can get by with one card for awhile...playing like this I don't even see why a person would go above a 680:comeon:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
But looking at random gameplay vids I don't see even a hint of "film grain":comeon:

what are you accusing me of? the game has a 'film grain' setting. maybe dude turned it off

The lighting looked nice in a dark corner with two lights that have no shadows :comeon:

You post 2 more screenshots of lighting...no shadows anywhere near the lights :comeon:

you're just criticizing the game and it's engine. it's a game that came out yesterday, so I think that qualifies it as a good example

You going on and on about graphics and what cards can do at an above 1080p resolution only to tell us you down sampling to 1080p :comeon:

So I agree...that if everyone games at 1440p like you do...turning down graphical settings AND downsampling to 1080p...yeah...they can get by with one card for awhile...playing like this I don't even see why a person would go above a 680:comeon:
uh, do you know what it means to downsample? downsampling from 1440p to 1080p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p. and I don't turn down settings in when I play this game. I did that for the sake of showing a single card could do 1440p and 120+fps