The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
crysis_bf4.jpg.jpg

There's so much CPU power on tap with the 5960X that we could run Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 simultaneously - one game running on a GTX 780 Ti, while the other ran on the Radeon R9 290X. Performance is actually degraded a bit as we're running in windowed mode on both in order to keep things manageable. We're using FRAPS and BF4's in-built frame-rate tools to monitor performance - click on the image for a higher resolution view.
@Ciggavelli
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-intel-core-i7-5960x-review
:wow:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
for full disclosure, here's a screenshot with the settings I play with, but with vsync and 'film grain' off

Sk0G6Jp.jpg

now I'm gonna turn off the option to show my OSD in screenshots and enjoy my game

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
what are you accusing me of? the game has a 'film grain' setting. maybe dude turned it off

you're just criticizing the game and it's engine. it's a game that came out yesterday, so I think that qualifies it as a good example

uh, do you know what it means to downsample? downsampling from 1440p to 1080p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p. and I don't turn down settings in when I play this game. I did that for the sake of showing a single card could do 1440p and 120+fps

No...I have no idea what you are talking about...the downsampling I am aware of is when you have a monitor of one resolution...say 1080p...and then you set the resolution in the game higher than that...say 1440p..so that when it is "downsampled" to 1080p...it makes the card try to display the extra pixels on a display that does not have the extra pixels...which some say makes the game look more "smooth" (which I don't agree with)

From your post it looks like you are doing just the opposite...you are posting screenshots comparing the FPS of 1440p monitors...so I assume you have one...but you seem to be telling me that you are downsampling to a lower resolution than 1440p...and that just doesn't make any sense at all...

And no, if you are talking about FPS, any game with dark shadows and simple repetitive shapes, specifically squares and rectangles...is NOT a good example...it's the absolute worst example...screenshots like that are not pushing that card at all...like I said...if i was being selective I got games I can get over a 1000 FPS on in 4k...but would that be an accurate representation of what the framerate would really be like on real gameplay on any game?

I am not sure what the word is one would use to try and trick a 1440p monitor into displaying an image as if it was in 1080p...but i know that word is not downsampling...downsampling is the exact opposite of that...trying to trick a 1080p monitor to display an image as if it was a 1440p monitor...

look at what you typed
"downsampling from 1440p to 1080p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p"
:dahellwhat::yeah ok::mindblown:

Did you mean "downsampling from 1080p to 1440p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p"? Because it absolutely IS NOT...not even close...you would be missing over 1 million pixels...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
No...I have no idea what you are talking about...the downsampling I am aware of is when you have a monitor of one resolution...say 1080p...and then you set the resolution in the game higher than that...say 1440p..so that when it is "downsampled" to 1080p...it makes the card try to display the extra pixels on a display that does not have the extra pixels...which some say makes the game look more "smooth" (which I don't agree with)

From your post it looks like you are doing just the opposite...you are posting screenshots comparing the FPS of 1440p monitors...so I assume you have one...but you seem to be telling me that you are downsampling to a lower resolution than 1440p...and that just doesn't make any sense at all...

And no, if you are talking about FPS, any game with dark shadows and simple repetitive shapes, specifically squares and rectangles...is NOT a good example...it's the absolute worst example...screenshots like that are not pushing that card at all...like I said...if i was being selective I got games I can get over a 1000 FPS on in 4k...but would that be an accurate representation of what the framerate would really be like on real gameplay on any game?

I am not sure what the word is one would use to try and trick a 1440p monitor into displaying an image as if it was in 1080p...but i know that word is not downsampling...downsampling is the exact opposite of that...trying to trick a 1080p monitor to display an image as if it was a 1440p monitor...

look at what you typed
"downsampling from 1440p to 1080p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p"

Did you mean "downsampling from 1080p to 1440p is exactly the same as rendering native 1440p"? Because it absolutely IS NOT...not even close...you would be missing over 1 million pixels...
he doesn't have a 1440p monitor, just a 1080p one. So he's doing the first thing you mentioned

He was trying to be slick with the screenshots to disprove a point I was making. Glad you called him out on it as well.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

look at what you typed

you don't understand what downsampling is. read up on it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

What is downsampling

Downsampling, also called OGSSAA : Ordered Grid SuperSampling AntiAliasing, is in this case the concept of rendering the game at a much higher, custom made, resolution than your monitor is capable of displaying and subsequently having the GPU rescale the image ( as in downsample ) to that of your monitor's native resolution to which the end result is a "cleaner", sharper and less aliased image.

Performance

What kind of performance to expect? Roughly speaking your performance will be 1/N, where N is supersample value or "how many times more pixels you're rendering".

Example : When downsampling from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080, which is technically 4XSSAA, you're rendering 4 times as many pixels at 3840x2160 as you are at 1920x1080, so you'll be getting 1/4th performace. E.g, if you have 120 fps at 1920x1080 you'll get 30 fps at 3840x2160 in game X ( barring vram limitations, other bottle necks and everything in between ).

personally I prefer SGSSAA, as it does a better job of actually removing all the aliasing, but it usually only works with dx9 games

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
he doesn't have a 1440p monitor, just a 1080p one. So he's doing the first thing you mentioned

He was trying to be slick with the screenshots to disprove a point I was making. Glad you called him out on it as well.
I was trying to be slick about what?

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
cats coming at me sideways... doom and gloom... accusations...

have yall ever tried marijuana? :ld:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I was trying to be slick about what?
conveniently turning down settings at 1440p (without telling anybody until called on it) in a non-demanding game to prove that you can game in 1440p at 120fps.

If we go by those standards, I can game in 4K no problem with high fps. I'll just put everything at low.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
conveniently turning down settings at 1440p (without telling anybody until called on it) in a non-demanding game to prove that you can game in 1440p at 120fps.

If we go by those standards, I can game in 4K no problem with high fps. I'll just put everything at low.
turning down settings was part of my point. I changed shadows from 'ultra' to 'high', SSAO instead of HDAO, and FXAA instead of SMAA T2x. and yeah, I did that to achieve a certain framerate

I choose that game because it's what I'm playing right now, and I happen to be playing it at 1440p because I have some performance overhead (and it has bad aliasing even with SMAA T2x :why: )

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
you don't understand what downsampling is. read up on it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509076

personally I prefer SGSSAA, as it does a better job of actually removing all the aliasing, but it usually only works with dx9 games

Is this for real...:dahellwhat:

I explained it to you exactly what it is:dahellwhat:

and then you posted a link that says the following

Downsampling, also called OGSSAA : Ordered Grid SuperSampling AntiAliasing, is in this case the concept of rendering the game at a much higher, custom made, resolution than your monitor is capable of displaying and subsequently having the GPU rescale the image ( as in downsample ) to that of your monitor's native resolution to which the end result is a "cleaner", sharper and less aliased image.

This is exactly what I said:dahellwhat:

Because originally you said

This is the exact opposite of the explanation that I gave and that your article gave

I see that the article puts the higher resolution number in front of the smaller resolution number...which doesn't make sense...every other article I've seen about downsampling puts the smaller resolution number in front of the larger resolution number...

And...so are you telling me this is what you are doing:dahellwhat:...you are out here trying to convince people that they don't need a powerful card to run games in 1440p...because you are downsampling 1440p...on a 1080p monitor:dahellwhat:

And then you come back and say it is the same at native 1440P?:dahellwhat: What?:dahellwhat: 1440P has over a million extra pixels breh :dahellwhat: that's not even close to being 1440p...all you are doing is making your 1080p image look smoother:dahellwhat:

So do you have a 1440p monitor or not? If not, then why are you trying to make some case about what you need for 1440p when you yourself don't have a monitor that doesn't support it? If you do have a 1440p monitor...why did you bring up downsampling at all...?

I KNEW there was something fishy about your first pic...that shyt did not even look CLOSE to native 1440p...

So that is how far off downsampling from 1440p to true native 1440p is...to the point that I can just look at a still screenshot and have doubts that it is really 1440p...and end up being right about it:yeah ok: