The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I havent built (more like chose parts and assemble it like legos) a PC in 4 years and have been out of the hardware game for mad looong.

I just dont have the motivation to build my own, so I would like to buy a prebuilt.

I was thinking of purchasing off of Amazon but if there exist a site that caters "rigs" built for gaming could someone point me in the right direction.

I thought about upgrading my current hardware but Id rather make the switch to Intel.

I plan on using this purchase as a gaming platform since I really have no interest in consoles anymore.
Origin pcs are nice as hell, but very pricey

Alienware (dell) has some good options at more reasonable prices. The case is problematic and everybody always complains about overheating

Falcon nw is really for people with a lot of money to blow.

Cyber power pc has a ton of options (like everything you'd ever want), but I hear the build quality isn't great

Maingear has some good shyt too, but it can be pricey, and they like to under power their shyt.

If money is no limit, go Origin PC. You'll have a monster rig.

If money is a concern, go with cyber power pc.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
last year i had a problem with games freezing/crashing.
i trouble shot for a week before i finally decided to test the ram...turned out i had a bad ram stick.
i went from 16gb of ram down to 12.

last week i started experiencing the same problem.
my girl had the day off today and was playing Tomb Raider...she said "Orbital, the game was crashing allot."

so i took out one of the three remaining ram sticks and i've been gaming for over an hour no problem. got lucky and found the culprit on the first try.

i have Kingston Hyperx Red DDR3 1660 ram...i'm down to 8gb of ram now.

has anyone had a problem with ram going bad on them?
this shyt sucks.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
last year i had a problem with games freezing/crashing.
i trouble shot for a week before i finally decided to test the ram...turned out i had a bad ram stick.
i went from 16gb of ram down to 12.

last week i started experiencing the same problem.
my girl had the day off today and was playing Tomb Raider...she said "Orbital, the game was crashing allot."

so i took out one of the three remaining ram sticks and i've been gaming for over an hour no problem. got lucky and found the culprit on the first try.

i have Kingston Hyperx Red DDR3 1660 ram...i'm down to 8gb of ram now.

has anyone had a problem with ram going bad on them?
this shyt sucks.
Yes, that shyt does suck. I had that on my new rig. Errors and freezes all the time. I couldn't figure it out until I reseated the ram and ran memtest on it.

I think my new pny ram has a lifetime warranty or something absurd like that. You might have one too

8 gigs of ram is cutting it close though now, but you'll probably be all good

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
I dont know if this is blasphemous in these parts but I went ahead and ordered a Lenovo Y50 *gasp*

I was already
contemplating getting something mobile anyways, and I still plan on upgrading my current desktop so its whatever but thanks for the opinions provided above. I just dont have that "PC Building Itch" yet.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Yes, that shyt does suck. I had that on my new rig. Errors and freezes all the time. I couldn't figure it out until I reseated the ram and ran memtest on it.

I think my new pny ram has a lifetime warranty or something absurd like that. You might have one too

8 gigs of ram is cutting it close though now, but you'll probably be all good

said to myself "fukk it"...reset all of my ram sticks and now i'm running fine.

all 16gb are running fine while gaming so far.
i did get a weird message when i booted up though...something about "overclock failed".
strange because i have never overclocked my system.

i went into my bios and then just started up normal, now i'm just seeing how it goes.

strange.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
said to myself "fukk it"...reset all of my ram sticks and now i'm running fine.

all 16gb are running fine while gaming so far.
i did get a weird message when i booted up though...something about "overclock failed".
strange because i have never overclocked my system.

i went into my bios and then just started up normal, now i'm just seeing how it goes.

strange.
Some OC automatically. What board do you have?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
it's so strange, is it possible that by simply resetting the ram that it works again?

i've had this 4gb stick chilling in my man cave for the past year just so i could give it the :scusthov: face whenever i wanted.
then i thought i had another clown ass ram stick...:snoop:

then i say fukk it and throw them all back in and everything is lovely. :wtf:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
it's so strange, is it possible that by simply resetting the ram that it works again?

i've had this 4gb stick chilling in my man cave for the past year just so i could give it the :scusthov: face whenever i wanted.
then i thought i had another clown ass ram stick...:snoop:

then i say fukk it and throw them all back in and everything is lovely. :wtf:
It might not be lovely. Run memtest86+ on it overnight

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Whew :whew:

Just got done playing with x99 shyt. Got dat 5960x clocked to 4.5 ghz easy with only 1.3v. Cache clocked to 4.2 ghz w/ 1.25v. Ran aida64 stability for over an hour and temps were steadily in the high 60's considering I was only using a single 140mm rad for this hot ass cpu:skip:.

Wish I could run prime95, but it's not recommended with haswell e. Only thing that irks me is that I got 3000mhz g.skill ddr4 kit, and I can't run on those clocks cuz the cpu strap automatically changes to 125:stopitslime:. So I got it at 2666. Hopefully Intel fixes that shyt cuz I ain't fukking with a different strap.

This Asus deluxe motherboard performs just as well as it looks.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So I just got done building a PC for my brother and holy shyt is the case he chose terrible.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/383014/Commander_MS-I_Snow_ATX_Mid-Tower_Case

The shyt came with a boatload of screws and only two mounting screws and it seems like there was already some sort of screw screwed into the case except it didn't have a hole for a screw to get screwed into. The power supply area had some mesh plastic obstructing the PSU from sitting flush on the bottom of the case which made things annoying. Such a crappy case.

I also returned my 3GB Radeon HD 7970 for a Sapphire 3GB R9 280. I only paid a $5 difference.

Last edited: