The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How can you have Comcast at a speed like that? I got Charter and my download is like 15 times faster than yours and I got the standard package.
3809383519.png

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How can you have Comcast at a speed like that?
It's not always that low. I think the router is fukked up. I gotta talk to somebody. Or people downstairs are downloading like crazy. Who knows. Either way, it's getting fixed or I'm outta here

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I'm talking to them on Monday about this. It's gotta get fixed. shyt is outrageously slow right now

you may have a problem that can be fixed.
i was a cable tech back in the day and we would often find water in the line, bad splitters, lines chewed up by squirrels, etc.
these problems were resolved after troubleshooting.

sometimes people lived too far out in the woods and the signal drop from the main line was too much.

they need to test the signal from every point.

start at the modem.
then go to the splitter.
then go to the main line which may be the telephone pole or an underground feed.

ask if your signal strength is 12db...that is the optimal...a little more or less is ok but if you get below or above by 2dbz it's no good.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
you may have a problem that can be fixed.
i was a cable tech back in the day and we would often find water in the line, bad splitters, lines chewed up by squirrels, etc.
these problems were resolved after troubleshooting.

sometimes people lived too far out in the woods and the signal drop from the main line was too much.

they need to test the signal from every point.

start at the modem.
then go to the splitter.
then go to the main line which may be the telephone pole or an underground feed.

ask if your signal strength is 12db...that is the optimal...a little more or less is ok but if you get below or above by 2dbz it's no good.
Thanks, breh

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
try plugging directly into the modem
That's the problem, I can't. It's downstairs and I'm upstairs. I had to buy a usb wifi shyt. It's supposed to be good (shyt cost $75). I'm gonna see if I can switch out the router with my old one and see if things change tomorrow. If not, I'm calling somebody

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
That's the problem, I can't. It's downstairs and I'm upstairs. I had to buy a usb wifi shyt. It's supposed to be good (shyt cost $75). I'm gonna see if I can switch out the router with my old one and see if things change tomorrow. If not, I'm calling somebody

your main internet source should always be direct line.

*rips off shirt*

i'm talking to you as a desktop pc user right now!
your PC needs to be connected directly to your modem.

if things like a refrigerator, boiler, pipes are in in between the line of sight from your wifi to your pc then you are gonna take a hit.
if all you have is drywall or wood then you are ok.

take a look at what is between your pc and your wifi.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
your main internet source should always be direct line.

*rips off shirt*

i'm talking to you as a desktop pc user right now!
your PC needs to be connected directly to your modem.

if things like a refrigerator, boiler, pipes are in in between the line of sight from your wifi to your pc then you are gonna take a hit.
if all you have is drywall or wood then you are ok.

take a look at what is between your pc and your wifi.
It's basically just a staircase and some walls. I can't plug the shyt in to the modem, it's just not a possibility. They're not gonna let me run an ethernet cord through the house

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
It's basically just a staircase and some walls. I can't plug the shyt in to the modem, it's just not a possibility. They're not gonna let me run an ethernet cord through the house

get you some coax, drill a hole where you can run the wire and set your modem up right next to your PC....like a boss.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
get you some coax, drill a hole where you can run the wire and set your modem up right next to your PC....like a boss.
wouldn't that be nice. Who knows what drastic measures I'm gonna have to come up with. That router is getting looked at first. Then I'll take it from there