The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
That game is fun as hell. I loved it. Can't wait for Unity

The controls, could...um....be better though and stealth with a pirate ship is annoying, but other than that the game is :wow:
performance is a little spotty. shyt seem to 'judder/stutter' when you move around quick. watching my cpu usage, it maxes out one core, while the others are ~30%. oh well, crappy ubisoft port, but it seems fun other than that

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
performance is a little spotty. shyt seem to 'judder/stutter' when you move around quick. watching my cpu usage, it maxes out one core, while the others are ~30%. oh well, crappy ubisoft port, but it seems fun other than that
Yup it only maxes out one core on my shyt too. It's very poorly optimized. It doesn't use all my GPUs either unless everything is at max, but I'll still be below 60fps. It makes no sense. I can run it on ultra with txaa and physx pretty good now though (in the 40s)

You know ubisoft though. This is their MO

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Yup it only maxes out one core on my shyt too. It's very poorly optimized. It doesn't use all my GPU either unless everything is at max, but I'll still be below 60fps. It makes no sense. I can run it on ultra with txaa and physx pretty good now though (in the 40s)

You know ubisoft though. This is their MO
yep, I saw it was gonna be like that regardless, so I just turned everything up. might as well at least look good if the performance is gonna be crappy :yeshrug:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
All this talk about black flag has got me worried about unity and far cry 4 now :lupe:

I've been real concerned with "next gen" games since watch dogs.

I really want those games on pc so I can play in 3 monitors, but will they be broken or horribly optimized? :lupe:

I don't wanna have to be a peasant playing on a console :sadcam:

If my gpus can't handle another ubisoft game I'm gonna be FURIOUS.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:lolbron:

for gaming :skip:
An 8 core 16 thread processor is so far away from the mainstream that game developers likely won't program for it. You'll constantly see people with processors that cost damn near 1/3 the cost of that one get the same performance you do on games. the first Quad core processors came out in 2006 it wasn't until basically 2011 that a quad core processor became the recommended spec for many main stream games. that's a 4-5 year window. the mainstream processors of 2011 were likely way faster than the top of the line quad core of 2006.

the guy that bought the quad core in 2006 for gaming wasted his money and never really saw the benefit to having one and the guy in 2011 that buys some mainstream processor gets a better one at a way cheaper price. in the PC world unless you require it you never should be the guy buying the extreme processor. that's beyond a waste of money. by the time your processor becomes a necessity processors that cost $200-$300 will be faster than yours and you will have seen no benefit to spending $1000 on yours to be ahead of the times.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
All this CPU talk. I bought an i7 4790k. Quad core 4.0 GHz (4.4 turbo), 8 MB cache. Cost me $340.

How would y'all rate that purchase? I'm not familiar with PC hardware trends. Will it still be top tier in 5-6 years?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
All this CPU talk. I bought an i7 4790k. Quad core 4.0 GHz (4.4 turbo), 8 MB cache. Cost me $340.

How would y'all rate that purchase? I'm not familiar with PC hardware trends. Will it still be top tier in 5-6 years?
5 years is too long in PC years. It'll still be a useable PC in 5 years but it'll be outdated pretty bad in comparison to what's out.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
NOTHING will be top tier in 5-6 years.

Solid purchase

i agree.

i apply the same logic when i buy graphics cards.
i get a new one every 2 years.
my previous card was a gtx 560TI, the one i have now is a gtx760...the next one i get will probably be a year from now and will be a $250-$300 card.

it will be good enough to run 90% of my games on ultra...the rest i will scale back a bit and still enjoy.
fukk dropping thousands of dollars so that i can max out games just for the sake of maxing them out.

now take into consideration that the games you are playing are not even designed to take advantage of the hardware you just bought.

slow your row breh...but enjoy your new gear.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
All this talk about black flag has got me worried about unity and far cry 4 now :lupe:

I've been real concerned with "next gen" games since watch dogs.

I really want those games on pc so I can play in 3 monitors, but will they be broken or horribly optimized? :lupe:

I don't wanna have to be a peasant playing on a console :sadcam:

If my gpus can't handle another ubisoft game I'm gonna be FURIOUS.

watch dogs is a bad example...because the devs took the easy way out and just tried to load everything in vram...so if you got a card with 3GB or under of vram...doesn't matter how powerful it is, it won't run the game well...

I got SLI'd GTX 780's 3GB...will blow through any game on ultra settings...higher than 1080 p resolution...no less than a 100 fps per second on everything except for Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 (another horribly optimized Ubisoft game)

popped in a singular gtx 780 6 GB card...can run it on ultra at 48 - 58 fps with only the occasional stutter while driving...

If you really want to use games to judge cards, you shouldn't use ubisoft...they are terrible at optimizing games, always have been

I would say wait to see what GTA V on PC does...it is another massive open world game...by all accounts Rockstar is putting some real effort into making sure it is optimized...I am going to use it as a sort of benchmark to find out if ubisoft was just lazy (which i am pretty sure of) or if loading everything into vram is the way to go for open world games coming out in the future (if so...yikes for anybody trying to play the witcher 3 on ultra)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
watch dogs is a bad example...because the devs took the easy way out and just tried to load everything in vram...so if you got a card with 3GB or under of vram...doesn't matter how powerful it is, it won't run the game well...

I got SLI'd GTX 780's 3GB...will blow through any game on ultra settings...higher than 1080 p resolution...no less than a 100 fps per second on everything except for Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 (another horribly optimized Ubisoft game)

popped in a singular gtx 780 6 GB card...can run it on ultra at 48 - 58 fps with only the occasional stutter while driving...

If you really want to use games to judge cards, you shouldn't use ubisoft...they are terrible at optimizing games, always have been

I would say wait to see what GTA V on PC does...it is another massive open world game...by all accounts Rockstar is putting some real effort into making sure it is optimized...I am going to use it as a sort of benchmark to find out if ubisoft was just lazy (which i am pretty sure of) or if loading everything into vram is the way to go for open world games coming out in the future (if so...yikes for anybody trying to play the witcher 3 on ultra)

Yeah, I hate this ubisoft shyt (but I really wanna play Unity and Far Cry 4). I have sli'd 780ti's so I was shocked at how bad Watch Dogs performed. I really hope loading everything into vram is not the wave of the future, or I'm gonna have to sell my cards and get 6gb ones or some shyt.

But you're right, other non-ubi games run fine. Even at super high resolutions.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Yeah, I hate this ubisoft shyt (but I really wanna play Unity and Far Cry 4). I have sli'd 780ti's so I was shocked at how bad Watch Dogs performed. I really hope loading everything into vram is not the wave of the future, or I'm gonna have to sell my cards and get 6gb ones or some shyt.

But you're right, other non-ubi games run fine. Even at super high resolutions.

Yeah I've resigned myself to if GTA V does the same thing...I'm just going to bite the bullet, and about two weeks before the witcher 3 comes out I will either cop the 780 ti's 6 GB cards, if they are available by then, or just cop two 6 GB titan black cards...already set aside 2 G's for the worst case scenario...

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yeah I've resigned myself to if GTA V does the same thing...I'm just going to bite the bullet, and about two weeks before the witcher 3 comes out I will either cop the 780 ti's 6 GB cards, if they are available by then, or just cop two 6 GB titan black cards...already set aside 2 G's for the worst case scenario...
Yeah, I was hoping for the 900 series before I upgraded. If GTA V does the same thing for me, I guess I'll just have to take the loss, sell the 780tis and get the (hopefully) 4gb 880/880tis or 6gb cards. I really hope that's not the case though :sadcam: I thought I'd be future proof for at least a year more with these GPUs.

fukking lazy devs and their unoptimized games. :smh: I feel like we gotta have like 4x the horsepower we really need to game at ultra with these ubisoft games.

If Witcher 3 is like this :to: