The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

PNW

Rookie
Daps
my case can accommodate multiple motherboard sizes, i would imagine that there is some sort of standard that motherboard manufacturers adhere to.
btw, there are studs that should come with your mobo that keep the back of it from touching the case so that it does not short out...easy mistake to make when you are just starting out.

i see, i'm just curious to how to external ports are able to be exposed if the case is fully enclosed, like the back of the computer. Ok i'll keep that in mind, make sense but probably once I do more research hahaa

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
i see, i'm just curious to how to external ports are able to be exposed if the case is fully enclosed, like the back of the computer. Ok i'll keep that in mind, make sense but probably once I do more research hahaa

fohape.jpg

• Dap
Reactions: PNW

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
We out here hacking into onedrive (skydrive) now? :wtf: :to:

Who knows what was stolen. I got tons of personal shyt on there. Motherfukkers. It was a good password too. shyt

Come on Microsoft...:stopitslime:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
thanks. Also do I buy a case compatible with specific motherboards, I'm wondering if there is a certain order i should be following when picking out specs
there's two (popular) motherboard sizes: ATX and micro-ATX. micro-ATX is obviously smaller, and the drawback is it will have less pci slots. generally a larger case will support both sizes. but smaller "form factor" cases usually only support micro-ATX

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
there's two (popular) motherboard sizes: ATX and micro-ATX. micro-ATX is obviously smaller, and the drawback is it will have less pci slots. generally a larger case will support both sizes. but smaller "form factor" cases usually only support micro-ATX

i am by no means an Alpha PC head but i do consider myself t be significantly above most PC gamers...that being said, having a good case is very important.
the guts of my rig are nice but i want to upgrade them and my case will allow me to do so for years to come.

if you are serious about that PC life get a good case that will accommodate what you want to do.

if money is a problem, hold off on the GPU...hold off on the games...hold off on the gaming mouse...

that case is gonna be the base of your rig.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
thanks. Also do I buy a case compatible with specific motherboards, I'm wondering if there is a certain order i should be following when picking out specs
I'm no expert.. I just built my rig this week :laugh: but I will share my input for my research.

Go for ATX... Look for a case that is mid sized with plenty of fans and cable management. Then you can rank them further by if want cool LED lights and form factors. Most mid sized cases generally come with plenty of drive slots and removable back plates (this is how external motherboard ports are accessed in the back). If the case has front USB and audio ports that is a plus as well.

I think the best order to picking out your parts is:
1) Motherboard - honestly, you want to save up to get a really good quality motherboard. This guy facilitates everything so don't skimp on it. Can be a pain to upgrade... good quality ones are available for under $150. Asus is pretty awesome...

2) CPU - another component that you want to get the best possible when starting out. Today you can run any game on a higher end i5...CPU can be overclocked to improve performance. A bit easier to upgrade then the motherboard, but if you get the motherboard and CPU that you want at the start then the rest of the parts can be upgraded easily later down the road.

3) Everything else. You can fill the rest out with budget components. I would recommend going ahead and getting a 8 GB ram stick instead of a two 4 GB kit so you're not using up your slots and wasting money later. Also would say get a solid power supply from a reputable company (look at reviews). Those seem to be common things that go bad when people get cheap ones from unknowns.

Lastly, I used this site for a lot of my research, as all of their recommended components had such good reviews and I didn't want to take too many risks with my first build with no help

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm no expert.. I just built my rig this week :laugh: but I will share my input for my research.

Go for ATX... Look for a case that is mid sized with plenty of fans and cable management. Then you can rank them further by if want cool LED lights and form factors. Most mid sized cases generally come with plenty of drive slots and removable back plates (this is how external motherboard ports are accessed in the back). If the case has front USB and audio ports that is a plus as well.

I think the best order to picking out your parts is:
1) Motherboard - honestly, you want to save up to get a really good quality motherboard. This guy facilitates everything so don't skimp on it. Can be a pain to upgrade... good quality ones are available for under $150. Asus is pretty awesome...

2) CPU - another component that you want to get the best possible when starting out. Today you can run any game on a higher end i5...CPU can be overclocked to improve performance. A bit easier to upgrade then the motherboard, but if you get the motherboard and CPU that you want at the start then the rest of the parts can be upgraded easily later down the road.

3) Everything else. You can fill the rest out with budget components. I would recommend going ahead and getting a 8 GB ram stick instead of a two 4 GB kit so you're not using up your slots and wasting money later. Also would say get a solid power supply from a reputable company (look at reviews). Those seem to be common things that go bad when people get cheap ones from unknowns.

Lastly, I used this site for a lot of my research, as all of their recommended components had such good reviews and I didn't want to take too many risks with my first build with no help
For the average consumer Mini ITX is fine. Get a Prodigy and that's a good enough case. If you aren't gonna SLI then you'll never need the extra PCI slots. The Prodigy can fit almost any reasonable cooler especially if you don't include an optical drive but in most cases even if you do. The Mini ITX gives you the option to build a really small form factor PC that tucks away conveniently. Many people get ATX mobos and underutilize them. One graphics card. 8GBs of RAM and nothing in the PCI slots so in truth they never needed ATX.

As for a CPU its probably better to get the top end i5.

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
For the average consumer Mini ITX is fine. Get a Prodigy and that's a good enough case. If you aren't gonna SLI then you'll never need the extra PCI slots. The Prodigy can fit almost any reasonable cooler especially if you don't include an optical drive but in most cases even if you do. The Mini ITX gives you the option to build a really small form factor PC that tucks away conveniently. Many people get ATX mobos and underutilize them. One graphics card. 8GBs of RAM and nothing in the PCI slots so in truth they never needed ATX.

As for a CPU its probably better to get the top end i5.
How would the mini work with cooling and fans? Would all of that be able to fit in a smaller case?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
How would the mini work with cooling and fans? Would all of that be able to fit in a smaller case?
I have 3 fans in the prodigy case and this cooler.

Cooling isn't an issue but even in Mini ITX builds you can put in one of those all-in-one water cooler systems. The only problem is a Prodigy case really isn't all that small but its still smaller than a mid or full sized tower.