The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:dead:

I keep a clean desktop. only the left monitor gets used with a nice straight line. I put the Recycling Bin on the right screen to keep the monitor on, because windows 8.1 is too aggressive with it's power saving options and is too stupid to realize I want to have all 3 monitors on at all times, even if no content is on screen :dead:

Nvidia surround is definitely better in Win7. But those little things like skydrive and performance increases in some games make me stay with win 8.1. Now, if I have to do a fresh install or the next nvidia driver makes my system go crazy again and I can't use my work around, it's straight back to win7
I used to be about that 3 monitor life. I set up my middle monitor to play my games and my left and right screens showing work + things I read.

Right screen would automatically refresh pages on slickdeals and other things I liked to flip + mTurk + Wordpress installations. I made like 15K profit off the touchpad deals because of that.

Left side was SOHH and other BS I checked regularly.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

chill...i have no idea how to even start it.

i do know that my bios allows me to do it within it but other than that i have no idea.

do i just up the voltage on my CPU?
do i have to adjust other things to compensate?

i have an Asus P8Z77-V LX Mobo and an i5 3570k CPU.

any advice would be appreciated.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
chill...i have no idea how to even start it.

i do know that my bios allows me to do it within it but other than that i have no idea.

do i just up the voltage on my CPU?
do i have to adjust other things to compensate?

i have an Asus P8Z77-V LX Mobo and an i5 3570k CPU.

any advice would be appreciated.
First of all what kind of case and cooling are you working with?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
First of all what kind of case and cooling are you working with?

this is my case:
6dtkba.jpg

HAF 392 Advanced.

my cooling is stock on the CPU.
not counting the CPU fan, i have 5 fans in the case.
the case is built to support liquid cooling.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
this is my case:
http://i58.tinypic.com/6dtkba.jpg

HAF 392 Advanced.

my cooling is stock on the CPU.
not counting the CPU fan, i have 5 fans in the case.
the case is built to support liquid cooling.
I would upgrade that stock cooler :patrice:

You can overclock, but I would go in small steps.

Linus overclocked your exact same chip. Follow his guide

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
what do you guys use to monitor CPU temps in real time?
i'm thinking about OCing my i5 3570k :lupe:

i'd like to see my temps while i'm gaming.
dual monitors with an extended desktop and real temp on the second screen. I have that same processor and overclocked it to 4.3 Ghz no sweat. ran Prime95 mixed blend for a couple of hours and it didn't go past 65c.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
what do you guys use to monitor CPU temps in real time?
i'm thinking about OCing my i5 3570k :lupe:

i'd like to see my temps while i'm gaming.
if you get MSI Afterburner (instead of EVGA Precision) you can display your core temps in your On Screen Display. it also works with 64 bit games

but honesty you should just be worrying about the temps when you're stress-testing with Prime 95. it will never get that hot while gaming. and that's not a full-screen application, so you can use Hardware Monitor, or whatever, to watch your temps

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I used to be about that 3 monitor life. I set up my middle monitor to play my games and my left and right screens showing work + things I read.

Right screen would automatically refresh pages on slickdeals and other things I liked to flip + mTurk + Wordpress installations. I made like 15K profit off the touchpad deals because of that.

Left side was SOHH and other BS I checked regularly.
I've been an OG 3 monitor gamer since it's inception with the 5870. 3 monitor gaming is the biggest advancement in gaming in like a decade. Nobody knows just how good it is until they try it. It's a totally new way to play games and is so immersive. The Rift may make it obsolete in the future, but we'll see.

I can't stress how good 3 monitor gaming is. It's a bit of a hassle, with changing .inis, using memory hacks, etc., but the WSGF and Hayden in particular, have drastically made it a lot easier to work with.

Too bad it costs so much, cuz you need two high-end cards to run games on high/ultra. But it's the price you pay. I think it's well worth it. It's what makes PC gaming better than console gaming in my eyes. I really hate it when I have to use one monitor, like forreal. I'll hack shyt around in old games like Baldur's Gate 2, just to get it to run in 3 monitors. Once you game in 3 monitors, you can't go back.

I'm just waiting like 2 -5 years when I can game in 3 x 1440p or 3 x 4K. shyt will be unbelieveable. But like I said Oculus may make that unnecessary. The future will be very interesting for pc gaming for sure.