The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

2gunsup

Satsui No Hado
Daps
Reppin
Popozudas
So I reseated the heatsync and the results are the same. its this chip. runs way too hot. It won't really overclock past 4.5 ghz and when stress tested there temps rapidly got up to 90c on 2 of the cores. even if it didn't crash those temps are too much for me. maybe if i go with a watercooler i could do better but whatever I'll probably just run with the stock and at most a 4.2 overclock.

You won't be getting much out of Haswell with a $30 dollar heatsink. You may want to try an AIO water cooling unit if need be. What thermal paste are you using?

Dudes at tomshardware were saying as long as your not breaking 72c you good on a haswell chip...

So I'm good at 4.0 for my gaming needs...I won't go any higher than that, like I said earlier I never had any intent to OC otherwise I would of copped a better cooling system...

That's pretty conservative for max temps. I'd say about 90c is ok being that the tjmax / throttling point for these chips is 105c. Also, the temps you get from stress test are pretty unrealistic for regular use, especially for gaming. You'll never see those temps unless stress testing. You should be able to do 4.2-4.4 pretty easy with your chip if temps are OK.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
you guys have been nerding it up lately. Is anyone playing anything besides prime95 and fraps? :beli:

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
Anyone else get invited to the Evolve alpha?

I did.

Yup. Game is piff when people actually work as a squad. Only played as Trapper, so I take point, drop arena ASAP, then fall back behind assault and between support and drop harpoon traps. Medic should always be in the back. Think they have a sniper anyways. Once you slow down enemy, have at it.

Learned the hard way not to drop arena in caves/smaller areas with no topography and shyt. Fire breathing in small area with arena up=instant death. Try to fight with the monster in outside areas where you can jetpack and shoot down after he runs through harpoon traps.

Daisy sniffed out the monster real quick and we dealt with him in like 3 minutes :krs:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
what do you guys use to monitor CPU temps in real time?
i'm thinking about OCing my i5 3570k :lupe:

i'd like to see my temps while i'm gaming.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
You won't be getting much out of Haswell with a $30 dollar heatsink. You may want to try an AIO water cooling unit if need be. What thermal paste are you using?

That's pretty conservative for max temps. I'd say about 90c is ok being that the tjmax / throttling point for these chips is 105c. Also, the temps you get from stress test are pretty unrealistic for regular use, especially for gaming. You'll never see those temps unless stress testing. You should be able to do 4.2-4.4 pretty easy with your chip if temps are OK.
Yea I'm not coming close to that 90c I got in prime95...

They said over 72c you're fukking with the chips lifespan though...I'm not tryna kill my shyt too soon breh...

4.0 is good enough for me for now...need to get me a better cooling system but I'll do that when I upgrade to an i7...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Dudes at tomshardware were saying as long as your not breaking 72c you good on a haswell chip...

So I'm good at 4.0 for my gaming needs...I won't go any higher than that, like I said earlier I never had any intent to OC otherwise I would of copped a better cooling system...
those guys probably have water cooled systems or closed loop ones. If you're on air cooling then taking a Haswell past 4.3-4.4 Ghz is gonna likely push temps closer to the high 80s to almost 90c. the processor will actually throttle itself if it gets too hot and lower its own temps by lowering the voltage / clock speed. its not like you'll burn it up.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Arctic Silver 5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...45&cm_re=Noctua_NH-D15-_-35-608-045-_-Product
That's the cooler I wanted but it won't fit in my case with both fans on it and the Blu-Ray burner. Once the optical drive is forced out i'd probably go with this anyway. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181060

I can't believe how easy an Ivy Bridge overclocks in comparison. I put my 3570k to 4.4 ghz on an air cooler that was no more than $35 and it's barely cracking 60c while at 4.2 ghz the Haswell is over 80c on a full load.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The Wolf Among Us :wow:

I just ripped a guy's arm off for fukking with me in a bar. And I'm supposed to be the sheriff :gladbron:

(Good use of my overclocked CPU and dual graphics cards too.....:mjlol: some other sarcasm smiley that we need)

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA

This is the correct response with proper max temps. Long as your not hitting 90c you are safe as said these chips run hot, if you are at 72c with a OC you are really playing it safe at max load with Corsair H100 my 4770k spiked at 85c at 4.4ghz luck of the draw one core ran a bit hot and I could not push my cpu pass that.

2ihwmye.jpg

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
what do you guys use to monitor CPU temps in real time?
i'm thinking about OCing my i5 3570k :lupe:

i'd like to see my temps while i'm gaming.

Windows 7 used to have a computer temp clock you could put on your desktop

I cant find it on windows 8 though :beli:

other than that HWmonitor