The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
i've got an i5 3570k Ivy Bridge.

i'm not into OCing anyway.
i don't want to deal with the frustration.
I got that CPU in the bedroom PC and it runs way cooler than my 4770k. it was idle at about 29c and my Haswell is 10-15c higher when idle. I don't know if i need to reseat this heatsync of if that's just the way Haswell chips are. My options are limited on a Prodigy case with a Blu-Ray burner in the case.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I got that CPU in the bedroom PC and it runs way cooler than my 4770k. it was idle at about 29c and my Haswell is 10-15c higher when idle. I don't know if i need to reseat this heatsync of if that's just the way Haswell chips are. My options are limited on a Prodigy case with a Blu-Ray burner in the case.

yeah, my i5 idles at 26-32c depending on the weather.

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA
Haswell chips run hotter then ivy bridge and don't for the most part overclock as high as them but they have better performance even at lower clock speeds, then their counter parts.

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA
If my voltages are randomly fluctuating on my psu (for the 3.3), I'm assuming I have a problem, or could it just be a random mobo read error?

They're within the margin of error, but I dunno why they fluctuate in the mobo all of the sudden

Edit: sometimes they are 3.312 sometimes 3.296. Earlier today i saw them going back and forth nonstop in my UEFI

Edit:

I'm convinced HWMonitor is the devil. I'm just sitting here looking at voltages and shyt. The more you learn, the more you have to pay attention to shyt :beli:

If anybody cares, voltage fluctuation is apparently normal as long as it is within the margins. :manny:

It should be:

For 3.3V, 3.125 to 3.465
For 5V, 4.75 to 5.25
For 12V, 11.4 to 12.6
That is completely normal your mobo will try not to apply the max voltage needed to keep your cpu stable, which at times will show some times your cpu will need a bit more. Long as your cpu is stable and not showing unsafe temps I wouldn't worry.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
That is completely normal your mobo will try not to apply the max voltage needed to keep your cpu stable, which at times will show some times your cpu will need a bit more. Long as your cpu is stable and not showing unsafe temps I wouldn't worry.

Thanks. I was just worried about the 3.3v rail fluctuating. I never noticed it before. I just did a ton of research and it appears that fluctuation is something you just deal with. I think I'm gonna stop monitoring it unless something crazy happens to my computer. As of right now everything is okay.

Notorious Jerry

Change&Hope Ambassador
Daps
Reppin
Chalmette,LA
At 4.3ghz my 4770k using Camtasia can render a 1080p video over 40mins in under about 6mins my ivy bridge set up clocked at 4.7ghz was much slower.

Ignore my piss poor shooting

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Haswell chips run hotter then ivy bridge and don't for the most part overclock as high as them but they have better performance even at lower clock speeds, then their counter parts.
I played Tomb Raider for about 40 minutes and the temps were in the 60-65 range and at times the highest core got to 74c that was with the settings at ultimate.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So I reseated the heatsync and the results are the same. its this chip. runs way too hot. It won't really overclock past 4.5 ghz and when stress tested there temps rapidly got up to 90c on 2 of the cores. even if it didn't crash those temps are too much for me. maybe if i go with a watercooler i could do better but whatever I'll probably just run with the stock and at most a 4.2 overclock.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Dudes at tomshardware were saying as long as your not breaking 72c you good on a haswell chip...

So I'm good at 4.0 for my gaming needs...I won't go any higher than that, like I said earlier I never had any intent to OC otherwise I would of copped a better cooling system...