The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Forgot to post this last wk, but it might be my low as a PC "enthusiast" :snoop:

So I got a 4k60 monitor, and a 1080/144hz monitor. I haven't gamed much on the 1080p monitor since I got the 4k a few yrs back, because I wanted the graphics and 60 frames was enough for me. With the transition to WFH, I've been having my work on the 4k monitor since it's bigger, and put the games on the 1080p monitor. I forgot how great high framerates were so I start messing with settings again, and realized ever since the jump to windows 10, I never went and changed the Windows settings for the monitor from 60hz :wow: damn near 5 yrs. Just moving the mouse feels so smooth :russ:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Damn this is turning into a headache:

1. Purchased Disco Elysium for $40 to try PC gaming since I heard the game was good.
  2. Realized the integrated graphics card in my PC is outdated and the framerate/graphics suck as a result
  3. Bought a Nvidia Graphics Card online
  4. Received Graphics Card and it wouldn't fit. Now realize what a Low Profile Graphics Card is, and that I need to get one of those instead
  5. Order a Low Profile Graphics Card
  6. Decide to instead sign up for GeForce Now to skip the Graphic Card issues virtually
  7. GeForce now has the exact same issues (main character's head not loading for example so it is just an empty suit interacting with the world smh)
  8. Waiting patiently for my Low Profile Graphic Card to arrive.
Now I see why I stuck to consoles as a kid lol

To be fair, that's just bad decision making and information gathering on your behalf. A Ryzen build would have you straight for decades to come, the most expensive part being the video card.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
To be fair, that's just bad decision making and information gathering on your behalf. A Ryzen build would have you straight for decades to come, the most expensive part being the video card.
Hindsight is 2020.

I think the fact that my desktop was made in 2012 means that there aren't a lot of relevant tutorials out there. I get that it seems like a boneheaded move for a seasoned computer person, but outside of upgrading my memory a few years back, I know nothing about computer internals. I recently bought a game and the graphics were trash and to resolve that for as cheap as possible, I had to teach myself about:
  • What setup I currently have
    • What is an integrated video card
  • What setup I currently need
    • What are the different video card makes and models
    • The difference between a regular video card and a low profile video card
    • Different form factors and why my seemingly large desktop is still classified as a SFF
    • What is a PSU
      • Finding out what is my desktop's PSU
      • Learning how I can destroy my desktop if I choose the wrong video card and overload my PSU
    • What is overclocking and how it related to my video card. (not at all since I'm not a gamer like that but I had learn about it first)
Having to learn all of these things isn't above me but it turned into an ever-expanding decision-tree for something that seemed as simple as clicking a component into my desktop.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Hindsight is 2020.

I think the fact that my desktop was made in 2012 means that there aren't a lot of relevant tutorials out there. I get that it seems like a boneheaded move for a seasoned computer person, but outside of upgrading my memory a few years back, I know nothing about computer internals. I recently bought a game and the graphics were trash and to resolve that for as cheap as possible, I had to teach myself about:
  • What setup I currently have
    • What is an integrated video card
  • What setup I currently need
    • What are the different video card makes and models
    • The difference between a regular video card and a low profile video card
    • Different form factors and why my seemingly large desktop is still classified as a SFF
    • What is a PSU
      • Finding out what is my desktop's PSU
      • Learning how I can destroy my desktop if I choose the wrong video card and overload my PSU
    • What is overclocking and how it related to my video card. (not at all since I'm not a gamer like that but I had learn about it first)
Having to learn all of these things isn't above me but it turned into an ever-expanding decision-tree for something that seemed as simple as clicking a component into my desktop.

Relatable. And when you upgrade that CPU, make sure the one you purchase matches your mobo's socket type :ufdup:

Saint1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CA
Damn this is turning into a headache:

1. Purchased Disco Elysium for $40 to try PC gaming since I heard the game was good.
  2. Realized the integrated graphics card in my PC is outdated and the framerate/graphics suck as a result
  3. Bought a Nvidia Graphics Card online
  4. Received Graphics Card and it wouldn't fit. Now realize what a Low Profile Graphics Card is, and that I need to get one of those instead
  5. Order a Low Profile Graphics Card
  6. Decide to instead sign up for GeForce Now to skip the Graphic Card issues virtually
  7. GeForce now has the exact same issues (main character's head not loading for example so it is just an empty suit interacting with the world smh)
  8. Waiting patiently for my Low Profile Graphic Card to arrive.
Now I see why I stuck to consoles as a kid lol
It's just growing pains. you defiantly won't make that mistake next time.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
I just can't for the life of me enjoy playing in ultrawide, every game fitted for it beside racing - I'd rather play with a controller + large display.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware
I want to cop an external hard drive for my music (I’m a DJ). Any recommendations? don’t care if USB-C or not

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
So im back. Been browsing online the past weekend to buy a laptop and seeing the specs and asking price had me :hhh:

Its been literally over 2 years since I sold my pc and have been in the know of cpu hardware.

Ordered a ryzen 9 3900x cpu, asus crosshair 8 hero mobo, 32gb g.skill 3200 ddr4. Still got my case, psu, 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd from last build.

First time ever owning a amd cpu. Gonna wait until that stimilus check to cop a rx 5700 xt. fukk intel and nvidia.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
So im back. Been browsing online the past weekend to buy a laptop and seeing the specs and asking price had me :hhh:

Its been literally over 2 years since I sold my pc and have been in the know of cpu hardware.

Ordered a ryzen 9 3900x cpu, asus crosshair 8 hero mobo, 32gb g.skill 3200 ddr4. Still got my case, psu, 500gb ssd and 2tb hdd from last build.

First time ever owning a amd cpu. Gonna wait until that stimilus check to cop a rx 5700 xt. fukk intel and nvidia.
Seeing you post here for the first time in forever got me :dwillhuh:

Seeing you say fukk Intel and nvidia also has got me :dwillhuh:

I remember back in the day when you had the first 8 core intel processor (or something like that) and three 780s. :whew:

My how times have changed :patrice: