The Orville - Star Trek Satire Comedy From Seth MacFarlane And Jon Favreau

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
This episode was hitting. Even aside from the trans allegories, it was probably the most emotional episode of The Orville yet. When Topa asks Isaac about his suicide attempt. :mjcry:

They finally got Klyden's bytch ass the fukk outta here. :blessed: And he got hoed twice when he tried to put his hands on Kelly and Isaac. :mjlol: The actor is apparently getting death threats tho. :francis:

This definitely validates the "About a Girl" episode from season one. A lot of LGBTQ people were pissed when that episode first aired, but the vision they were going for is clear now. I was so sick of the goddamn Moclans by the end of season two but this was by far the best episode centered around them, followed by the episode where they went to the planet full of female Moclans. I was actually surprised they didn't really reference that one.

The black admiral chewing Ed and Kelly out. :mjlol: That is the one issue I have with this episode. The crew of the Orville was way too mean when she ordered them not to perform the surgery when her reasons were totally valid. The Krill alliance just blew up in their faces, and they were really willing to risk doing the same with the Moclans in the middle of the Kaylon war? :wtf:

And it's a little too convenient that the Moclans decided to stay in the Union, and if they were really upset about a Kaylon doing the surgery why didn't they demand Isaac off of the Orville? This just speaks to the larger problem I've had with them keeping him on the ship.

All that said, I can buy that Ed knew the Moclans wouldn't defect considering how many times the Orville has pissed them off and they haven't done it yet.

I finally upgraded to Hulu without ads, so the pacing this episode didn't bother me for once. :wow:
Kelly(Adrienne palicki) was very feral white woman, damn shame she didn't get to be Wonder Woman.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
Halfway through this, I was actually kind of mad...since this seemed to be nothing more than a rehash of the latest season of Picard, which was kind of a mess.

But by the end they really won me over with their moral dilemma, as well as their actually "realistic-ish" time dilation solution to the problem of forward time travel :salute:.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I think it’s going to either come back to bite then in the ass, or help them, if they created an alternate time line.

Yeah, I think they just created a new (potentially hostile) timeline.
That kid will grow up and remember what happened, and probably lead to a parallel universe with reverse engineered future technology.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Yeah, I think they just created a new (potentially hostile) timeline.
That kid will grow up and remember what happened, and probably lead to a parallel universe with reverse engineered future technology.
Not so much the kid. Gordon is doofus, but smart. And now he’s a smart doofus, with a family, who was threatened by his two best friends. He’s also acclimated to life in the 21st century. He also knows that the element to power star ships is just below the surface. He can jump start things before humans are morally ready. You heard what Ed told him. “So like everyone else in this time you think you can do whatever you want to do?” We’re can get The Orville version of Star Trek’s mirror universe.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
:lupe: on how this will come back into the season.

but great ep...i love time travel.

At first I thought they would've just left him and not go back to 2015 and this was them writing him off the show

now that they told him at the end, that's probably gonna lead to some shyt...I don't believe gordon when he told them they did the right thing and 2025 him was selfish.

this shyt gonna be in the back of his mind...he's always the third wheel/single guy...having a family was something that meant a lot to him, past, present, future.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I forgot all about that Leighton Meester episode. Might have to rewatch it because I didn't remember what happened in it. This season really isn't new viewer friendly because every episode has built off a storyline from a previous episode (sometimes multiple episodes).

John about to smash Talla. :ohhh:

Called it. :mjlol:. I wonder if that's going anywhere beyond this. They never showed any real attraction to each other until the Krill episode from two weeks ago. Seems odd they'd throw this in if it was just a one-time fling.

I'm surprised Ed and Kelly told Gordon what happened in the 2025 timeline, and I don't know that I buy him being like, ":ohhh:. I can't believe I actually acted like that. :picard:" Ed's whole logic for bringing him back (aside from Gordon massively violating Union protocol) was that the distress signal from 2015 proved that Gordon wanted to come back. By that same logic if Gordon were willing to go crazy to protect his family in 2025 it's obviously because part of him wants one some day. I would have bought it more if Gordon had said something to the effect of, "You did the right thing, but I hope I find something like that in our time."

There was a Covid reference, so I assume we're at the episodes that were shot after the pandemic forced them into hiatus. It also looked like Adrienne Palecki had some lip fillers in this episode. Her face was looking :huhldup: in some shots.

Charly was in love with that girl on her old ship. :ohhh: That makes way more sense now. I knew she wasn't that mad over her 'best friend.' :stopitslime:

People on Reddit have been kinda harsh on this season because they feel it's lacking the humor of the first two seasons, but this was low key one of the funniest episodes of the show:
  • Everybody in engineering hearing John and Talla's sexual tension. :mjlol:
  • Ed and Kelly not knowing who the Red Sox were and thinking they were talking about literal socks. :mjlol:
  • Human Isaac talking about how he hasn't inseminated Charly yet when they were pretending to be a couple :mjlol:
  • Jonny Knoxville and Jack McBrayer starring in some stupid sitcom :mjlol:
  • Bortus with that goofy smile when they try to take a selfie, :mjlol:
Honestly, this episode speaks to how much better the writing is this season. Outside of maybe the John and Talla stuff, all of the humor actually fit within the narrative they were telling in this episode, and it felt more natural to the characters and the situations. The first two seasons (especially season one), they would have to stop the show to tell jokes or add a sitcom element to the plot, like when Ed's parents called him on the bridge, or when Bortus decided not to go through with Topa's gender reassignment after watching Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. :shaq2:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
They did Gordon WRONG in this episode and I was surprised that Ed & Kelly actually told him and that he was cool with it. I get that technically you can’t “miss what you never had” but to be told that you married the woman of your dreams and had TWO kids with her and that was all just ripped away seems like a heavy blow for someone with Gordon’s personality.

Overall I loved the episode, the writing was PHENOMENAL and the acting was on point. I just think the very end fell a bit flat to me. 9/10 and probably the best episode of what has been a very strong season so far.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
They did Gordon WRONG in this episode and I was surprised that Ed & Kelly actually told him and that he was cool with it. I get that technically you can’t “miss what you never had” but to be told that you married the woman of your dreams and had TWO kids with her and that was all just ripped away seems like a heavy blow for someone with Gordon’s personality.

Overall I loved the episode, the writing was PHENOMENAL and the acting was on point. I just think the very end fell a bit flat to me. 9/10 and probably the best episode of what has been a very strong season so far.
You have to understand that he's a union officer, from a future where they take these things very seriously, and he swore an oath. It's not like he has memories of his alternate life so while he can ponder what he lost, it's not the same as if he actually had those memories. I don't believe there will be some issue in the future where he's mad at what happened because every indication is that this character would agree with the decision to bring him back, and would have done the same to someone else in that situation.