The Orville - Star Trek Satire Comedy From Seth MacFarlane And Jon Favreau

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm still getting used to the pacing, but the writing overall has been so much better this season.

They cut down on a lot of the one-liners and corny jokes. Ed and Kelly seem much more competent as leaders this season because they're actually taking things seriously. I rewatched some of the episode where LaMarr becomes Chief of Engineering and they both came off as really goofy and inexperienced. It made sense that Kelly had to convince an admiral to get Ed his post back then.

The few jokes they've actually been making this season actually land better because they come off as witty banter between established colleagues rather than typical Seth MacFarlane humor, like Gordon telling Bortus to get his summer body ready, or telling him to tell that girl she had a five-head. :mjlol:

Gordon getting jumped by some high schoolers. :mjlol: Ol' Katt Williams ass motherfukker.

This season so far also hasn't spent too much time on some of the weaker storylines from the first two seasons. We really didn't need two episodes in a row about Dr. Finn's love life, but I'm glad they haven't spent too much time on things like Ed and Kelly's marriage or the Moclans. I was so sick of the goddamn Moclans by the end of season two. :francis: And everything they were setting up with them was pretty much undermined by the Kaylon War anyway. Definitely don't need anymore episodes about them.

I've always praised this show for its special effects but I watched this episode on a TV with the motion smoothing turned on and :huhldup:. Some parts of this episode looked like an Asylum movie.

Depending on how this season goes, it might be the best one yet. :ehh: I think I might upgrade to Hulu without ads to see if that helps the pacing of the episodes any.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know there are a lot of TV shows out right now (this month in particular) but I really wish this show had more engagement. Season three is by far the best season of the show.

John about to smash Talla. :ohhh: I know LaMarr is the LaForge of this show, and while the actor is nowhere near the level of the legend LeVar Burton, I actually like John more than Georgi just for the act that John actually gets hoes. Geordi was an incel. :francis:

This episode was an analogue to the rise of Trumpism, but it still did it within the established continuity so it made perfect sense. :leon:

Ed having a half-krill daughter with Telaya. :ohhh: Usually I don't like when they start throwing kids into the mix, but it was pretty tragic how it ended, with Ed not knowing if he'll ever see her again, and Telaya being forced to keep her a secret and never see her either because her people see her as an abomination and it would go against the faux-populist message she ran on. :wow:

Some of the abortion commentary was really uncomfortable to watch in the wake of today's SCOTUS decision. :huhldup:
I was hoping this would be the end of all the Ed and Kelly teasing they did in the first two seasons, but it looks like it's actually starting up again. :francis:

And next week's episode is about the fukking Moclans, so that's two of my least favorite storylines on this show being brought back up again. :scusthov:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
damn...this week's epsiode....they filmed this months (if not a year or two ago) but holy shyt how relevant it is.

after yesterday's news, that entire part of the ep made me uneasy as hell

StackorStarve

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Reverse tranny episode.
I just read that the actress is Seth MacFarlane's girlfriend (or at least she was when they were filming). :dead:

Considering what happened to Seth's last girlfriend who was on this show, she may not be around much longer if the show gets renewed. :lupe:
It all makes sense now. I couldn’t figure out why ol girl was randomly fired.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
this last episode about the little moclin boy/girl, i get that it's ripped from current events but i don't think it was done well. First this is a whole ass alien species, they not human. One of the parents clearly objected to it, they used some silly ass loophole to perform a surgery on a child, they went completely against what the Union council decided, and they damn near started a war over this shyt. Who the fukk would really have risked all this in real life?

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This episode was hitting. Even aside from the trans allegories, it was probably the most emotional episode of The Orville yet. When Topa asks Isaac about his suicide attempt. :mjcry:

They finally got Klyden's bytch ass the fukk outta here. :blessed: And he got hoed twice when he tried to put his hands on Kelly and Isaac. :mjlol: The actor is apparently getting death threats tho. :francis:

This definitely validates the "About a Girl" episode from season one. A lot of LGBTQ people were pissed when that episode first aired, but the vision they were going for is clear now. I was so sick of the goddamn Moclans by the end of season two but this was by far the best episode centered around them, followed by the episode where they went to the planet full of female Moclans. I was actually surprised they didn't really reference that one.

The black admiral chewing Ed and Kelly out. :mjlol: That is the one issue I have with this episode. The crew of the Orville was way too mean when she ordered them not to perform the surgery when her reasons were totally valid. The Krill alliance just blew up in their faces, and they were really willing to risk doing the same with the Moclans in the middle of the Kaylon war? :wtf:

And it's a little too convenient that the Moclans decided to stay in the Union, and if they were really upset about a Kaylon doing the surgery why didn't they demand Isaac off of the Orville? This just speaks to the larger problem I've had with them keeping him on the ship.

All that said, I can buy that Ed knew the Moclans wouldn't defect considering how many times the Orville has pissed them off and they haven't done it yet.

I finally upgraded to Hulu without ads, so the pacing this episode didn't bother me for once. :wow:

Last edited: