The Official Spike Lee "BlacKkKlansman’" Thread

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did they change the story line from the original?

How u got a white dude with a totally different voice supposed to pass as the black dude who white voice is nothing like his

Because it is BASED from a true story. Emphasis on based.

Basically this is a FICTIONAL STORY based from true events. I think a lot of people get that confused. With that all said, and to also address why there was an Italian being part of the Klan, I think it was implied heavily that the Klan were desperate in recruits. I mean they had a FREAKING AD in the newspaper! So many of them were just in denial and accept you as who you claim to be. Which is why they dismissed the difference voices of the same person, or the coincidence of the address is the same as the real Stallworth, or the fact you can LOOK and see that's a Jew based on his features, especially the Jewish nose, all of it is force denial. They were pretty much letting anybody in. They didn't remotely bother to do a background check on Stallworth. Just a phone call and that was that. Only one person was able to see through it, but ironically didn't think about Italian person who told him who is really who.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why did they change the story line from the original?
To make it more cinematic
How u got a white dude with a totally different voice supposed to pass as the black dude who white voice is nothing like his
This is taken from the real story. He said he had allergies

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Because it is BASED from a true story. Emphasis on based.

Basically this is a FICTIONAL STORY based from true events. I think a lot of people get that confused. With that all said, and to also address why there was an Italian being part of the Klan, I think it was implied heavily that the Klan were desperate in recruits. I mean they had a FREAKING AD in the newspaper! So many of them were just in denial and accept you as who you claim to be. Which is why they dismissed the difference voices of the same person, or the coincidence of the address is the same as the real Stallworth, or the fact you can LOOK and see that's a Jew based on his features, especially the Jewish nose, all of it is force denial. They were pretty much letting anybody in. They didn't remotely bother to do a background check on Stallworth. Just a phone call and that was that. Only one person was able to see through it, but ironically didn't think about Italian person who told him who is really who.
Brah u typed all that for nothin

The whole point was
The plot from the og movie makes way more sense than this new movie

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Saw it today, so powerful....best movie I've seen all year :wow:
Whoever said there was no subtlety, I have to disagree. The scene where Ron is talking with his partner about the dirty cop and Ron asks why didn't doesn't anyone do something about the dirty cop.. they say to protect the family. Ron says something along the lines of that sounds like the people we are investigating :ohhh:

That's very unsubtle.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Brah u typed all that for nothin

The whole point was
The plot from the og movie makes way more sense than this new movie

Those are two different movies. Theone from the 60's also had a WHITE person portraying as a light skinned black man who is pretending to be part of the Klan.... which really sounds more absurd when you really think about that.

This current film is based on actual events that happened in Colorado Springs in the late 70's. It may seem crazy, even Spike Lee when Jordan Peele presented to him didn't think it was real initially. But for the most part, a black man did indeed fooled the klan and became a member. The real Stallworth still has his membership card.

Jards

All Star
Daps
Saw it last night. Great movie. :wow:

Might go see it again this weekend. :ehh:

No way. Nothing about this movie is that level of subtly. Y'all looking for something that's not there.

Yea this was the one area I felt they bumbled. I was ok with Felix not recognizing Black Ron when he showed up to the security detail since they think all blacks look alike, but he recognized Patrice immediately with just a 5 second look having only seen her in a black/white newspaper prior to that. Then I was like, maybe it's just the dark glasses Black Ron had on that threw him off. But then there was no "ahh ha" moment where he realized he was the same black cop. He just mentioned to the I-talian after he mentions he knew White Ron was really a cop.
He recognised him - he put the pieces together when the Italian told him Flip was a cop. When the Italian IDed Flip he said “that’s Ron Stallworth” because he recognised him from the House.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Watched it last night.

It wasnt a great movie. I thought the actors were great, especially Topher Grace and John David Washington.

Was enjoyable, but I never connected emotionally to anyone. It was only the last montage with current events that it hit home to me, but it shouldn't have.

I think this movie was less preachy than what Spike had done the last few 20 years, so that was good, but it was missing something.

As for the Boots Riley controversy. I need to see more information about Ron Stallworth. What group did he infiltrate and destroy?

Saying that anything that makes the KKK look bad is a good look, and this film was that.

KingJay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly bouls, Trust the Process
Film was DOPE
And the ending :wow:
I didn't know how beautiful Laura Harrier is :ohlawd:
Wife that up in a minute :lawd:
I haven't seen many movies this year, but I left the theater really thinking this was my movie of the year so far, then I remembered Black Panther dropped this year :banderas: what a time to be alive brehs :blessed:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Don't care and am glad when I talians a$$holes like tarantino and Martin Scorsese put blackfolks in a bad light in most their movies.

Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.
Describe how Tarantino puts black folks in bad light, please. Any black leads in his films have strong leads.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Watched it last night.

It wasnt a great movie. I thought the actors were great, especially Topher Grace and John David Washington.

Was enjoyable, but I never connected emotionally to anyone. It was only the last montage with current events that it hit home to me, but it shouldn't have.

I think this movie was less preachy than what Spike had done the last few 20 years, so that was good, but it was missing something.

As for the Boots Riley controversy. I need to see more information about Ron Stallworth. What group did he infiltrate and destroy?

Saying that anything that makes the KKK look bad is a good look, and this film was that.
I second this and I’m a Spike Lee stan.