The Official Spike Lee "BlacKkKlansman’" Thread

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
THE KLAN HATES ITALIANS, SHIIT WAS OFF

This may be true but spike isn't looking thru the lense of ithe kkk for the most part..

Do The Riight Thing was heavily influenced by the 1980s Howard Beach incident where an Italiian mob beat a group of black men and murdered one of them. Spike hasnt forgotten any of that so it's not surprising to me that he included a "ethnic" looking new york italian in with the kkk....

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I am more mixed on this, than many of the reviews I read on here, and from the critics. I think the social/polticial commentary worked better than the movie itself, which I thought was so messy, uneven, lacking tension and realism. I get it, if this was Spike's Django, and I applaud everything he was going for, from his odes to blackploitattion movies, the 70's, political activism, the Black Panthers. The music was great, the costumes, even the setting at times was beautiful.

But, as a narrative? As a drama? The plot is kind of stumbling, and it rarely feels believable. I think John David Washington had a mixed performance, maybe it was the writing, or the cliches of the undercover genre, I was never quite sure what his character was motivated by, or got any sense of him as a person. I thought Adam Driver was miscast. Not believable. The other supporting roles were solid. The undertones of subversive and overt racism going back to the US inception was well done, as was the concluding shot, which says in a few seconds what we all know about this presidency.

The rest of it, I think if this was Spike Lee's intention, it worked. And I love and support it. I didn't like Django either, probably for many of the same reasons, but Spike has a sincerity and moral center I respect more than Tarentino. But, as a movie? The 1988 Tom Berenger thriller "Betrayed" has a more believable and suspenseful take on the lives of KKK and racist terrorism. And I say that seriously. Also, why not just have Adam Driver's character do the phone calls going forward? Seems needlessly risky.

Last edited:

young3000

Most wanted baby father
Daps
Reppin
where they cross-over and clap boards
Saw it today, so powerful....best movie I've seen all year :wow:
Whoever said there was no subtlety, I have to disagree. The scene where Ron is talking with his partner about the dirty cop and Ron asks why didn't doesn't anyone do something about the dirty cop.. they say to protect the family. Ron says something along the lines of that sounds like the people we are investigating :ohhh:

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
I saw this last night. I did like that it showed white women’s role in maintaining white supremacy.

Even towards the end when Felix’s wife was about to bomb the Black Student Union president’s house, and Ron Stallworth stopped her and tried to arrest her. When the other cops came on the scene, they pointed the gun at him, then she started screaming he was attacking her and tried to rape her.

Another thing about the David Duke character.

It showed the parallels to the “alt right” which is basically rebranded racism in a suit.

Very good flick. Spike definitely rebounded after Chiraq.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
I've seen people say this and I can attest to it.

EVERYBODY WAS DEAD QUIET.

shyt was EERIE.
Just saw this today and my theatre was quiet as fukk too. There was an old white couple sitting next to me and I heard the man let out a sigh when the flag was shown upside down but he didn't say anything.

Yes the David Duke White House scene they did everything but say Trumps name. Stuff like that doesn’t feel real because it’s done with a tone of arrogance and has no conviction behind the words. It’s like the people who claimed we were going to hell and they would leave the country if Trump was elected. It was all talk.

I ask people how many times do you want to see this same subject talked about over and over? I actually found similarities between the KKK and Black Power prep rallies in the movie. I don’t know if Spike even realizes what he did. Basically you have a bunch of broke rural whites who blame Blacks and Jews for their economic condition. The part that caught my eye was when the undercover cop was told he had to buy his Klan outfit and pay his dues (A money scheme similar to what the Nazis made their members do). In all the KKK meetings they focused on their “enemy”. Much of the same could be said of the Black Power rallies in the film. They talked about the enemy and nothing about economic empowerment.

I think it’s fine to celebrate civil rights leaders, but it seems the media and many “activists” now just wanting to recreate that era. Spike Lee, Oprah, etc have been around and rich since the late 80s early 90s but somehow they’re harping on the same topics. The acting in this movie was well done, but can we get a different perspective of the black experience? At least Get Out attacked things from the liberal White angle vs the generic rural poor white KKK.
How can it not feel real if it really happened? Not in the sense that the scene was a recreation of an actual conversation but that they've taken off their hoods and went into politics. We see examples of this all the time especially now with internet detectives finding shyt.

And there is absolutely no parallel between the Klan meetings and the BSU meetings. Racists discussing imagined slights and transgressions does not compare to BSU specifically mentioning racist cops and Patrice being pissed cause of the white cop pulling them over for no reason other than who they were and feeling her up. Other than Stoakley telling Ron to arm his himself for the revolution there was no talk of violence towards whites.

How exactly can we get a different perspective of the true story of a black man and his partner infiltrating the KKK?

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw it today, so powerful....best movie I've seen all year :wow:
Whoever said there was no subtlety, I have to disagree. The scene where Ron is talking with his partner about the dirty cop and Ron asks why didn't doesn't anyone do something about the dirty cop.. they say to protect the family. Ron says something along the lines of that sounds like the people we are investigating :ohhh:

Best movie of the year so far. The way he tied the past with the present. :banderas:

It’s not even hyperbole when I say it up there with Malcolm X.

Powerful.

Spin

All Star
Daps
Just saw this today and my theatre was quiet as fukk too. There was an old white couple sitting next to me and I heard the man let out a sigh when the flag was shown upside down but he didn't say anything.

How can it not feel real if it really happened? Not in the sense that the scene was a recreation of an actual conversation but that they've taken off their hoods and went into politics. We see examples of this all the time especially now with internet detectives finding shyt.

And there is absolutely no parallel between the Klan meetings and the BSU meetings. Racists discussing imagined slights and transgressions does not compare to BSU specifically mentioning racist cops and Patrice being pissed cause of the white cop pulling them over for no reason other than who they were and feeling her up. Other than Stoakley telling Ron to arm his himself for the revolution there was no talk of violence towards whites.

How exactly can we get a different perspective of the true story of a black man and his partner infiltrating the KKK?

Was the movie entertaining? Yes. Did the actors do a good job? Yes. Was the movie a political statement? Yes. That's where I draw the line. The movie clearly loosely used the guys story to create a movie with an agenda. There was no Patrice in real life and "Flip" wasn't Jewish. Spike Lee had the nerve to diss Tyler Perry in the past yet Tyler Perry actually owns his own production and development company. It's one thing to push the same racist KKK story over and over, but to use it as a scare tactic for votes in 2018 is disingenuous at best.

Hell this brother put up his own money in the 70's and made an infiltration movie

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My movie theater isn't showing this film. :(. Man... It's a chain cinemark theater too... It's kind of fukked up. Ugh... Gonna have to start boycotting this place now.
I was surprised my theater had it being that it is in the mall and area pretty much owned by Trump's biggest fanboy, Jerry Falwell jr