The Official Los Angeles (County) Discussion Thread

L0Qutus

All Star
Daps
Yo..I have always wanted to know this.

How exactly does gentrification happen? Like is it a conscious and deliberate action With some real estate heavy heads getting together ob some deliberate and malicious way and saying "this is the neighborhood that were taking over now"..

Or is it more of a snowball effect where one real estate developer or company buys a piece of property and the others peep it and say "you know what, perhaps we should get there too in order to stay on competition"?
Urban Renewal starts with Negro Removal

It's a pattern. It often starts with gays and hipsters. Gays are often the first to move into areas targeted for gentrification.

Daps
Urban Renewal starts with Negro Removal

It's a pattern. It often starts with gays and hipsters. Gays are often the first to move into areas targeted for gentrification.
I guess the question would be why that is.

Is it because they are often an ostracized group so they build their own communities and it's often in places like the inner city where it's cheap to live?

I've never experienced gentrification but it's such an interesting thing to me.

Vice Queen

aka Joe Henny
Supporter
Daps
I live in Watts, I haven't seen any white folk yet. Lynwood still has white people living there although a lot of them have been in the neighborhood for decades.

Mexicans and Salvadorians are really coming here in droves. Blacks are moving out to Lancaster and Palmdale, because houses are cheap.

Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw P's Coat Hangers
I stay in Baldwin Hills...

There's still a vast black majority, but if I stopped through theven Crenshaw Mall, there's around 2-3 different groups of white folks shopping, mainly in the Walmart...

The majority of them with non-American accents. Mainly Australian and Welsh. The occasional Brit.

I assume they go to school at USC and live closer to my neck of the woods to avoid the dorm crowds.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
rent is more affordable in those areas, and black people dont be fukkin with cacs in the hood. white folks be feeling safe as shyt. college students and young professional white folk come thur early. set up shop

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
The only reason to buy property in these areas are to sell it to white people and help gentrify the area. If black people move back to compton, they'll just decrease the value of the homes again or increase them so they cant move back in at all, which is already happening.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
USC is surrounded by the hood on all fronts, except to north where the staple center / downtown LA are.

The craziest thing is seeing a bunch of young white kids walking through the hood at night :smh: :mindblown:

But USC has so much security around that campus it's not even funny...

this is how the university of chicago campus is. to the north of it is hyde park, which is a really nice area. but to the south is woodlawn, which still got some elements in it, and to the west is washington park, which is sketchy as well. and a lot of the students live in both of those areas cuz it's cheaper. but they got campus police out the ass around that school cuz EVERYONE know how much money that school has and how much power they wield due to that.