Essential The Official Football (Soccer) Thread - We are SO back, the Premier League returns!

Olu Dara

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Supporter
Daps
00000000000BADDFD9-8A15-436A-BBB2-E74B2B6CE945-131-00000001EBC34138_zps8285f5a6.jpg

:russ:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Actually just checked, the last time three different NBA teams won titles in successive years is 81-83 when it went Celtics-Lakers-Sixers.
The irony is the one time the NBA had parity, in the 1970s, it was the lowest period for the league.

NBA fans don't cares about parity, we just want to see great players and great teams.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But I thought American sports was supposed to be über-competitive with all its communist ways? :dwillhuh:

Aren't the Thunder a good example of a small team becoming good with smart management?

With the NBA, you gotta be be lucky, to draft that right players at the right time. Great example are the Spurs, any other year, they don't get Duncan. Without him, they are pretty much just a really good team, but no chance of winning a ship.

For teams like my Bullets, you basically gotta have 3/4 good drafts in a row. Where you can get one bonafide superstar player, a great 2nd tier star, and some good solid role players players, then some good free agent acquisitions. Then hopefully a good coach.

And lastly, hope you can keep them.

KOTK

Pro
Daps
Yeah good point. Although on the other hand every sport has marquee teams that will always be there or thereabouts. Doesn't stop other teams from making smart decisions and scouting properly. Bit of a cop-out to think otherwise tbh. Some of the contracts given out are just ludicrous.
It's all smart decisions and scouting properly, other than the three times that centres wanted to go to the Lakers. Obviously luck comes into it, like getting Jordan second, drug bans for the 80s Rockets, Palace brwal bans for the Pistons, and Wade being a fukking cheat. Tbf it's also easy for teams to be overlooked for being in the top 5-6, when there's no defining league structure or european reward like with the prem. The idea anyone could criticise the NBA like football leagues is absurd.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
The irony is the one time the NBA had parity, in the 1970s, it was the lowest period for the league.

NBA fans don't cares about parity, we just want to see great players and great teams.

Yep. It's the superstar sport. There's a reason people gave zero fukks about that Spurs/Pistons series. Although, saying that, NBA fans got a bad rep for ignoring that series.

There was one close game out of 7 when Robert Horry blacked out in Game 5. That's the sort of shyt that happens when two good "teams" face each other. Timmy is a GOAT candidate and all but thank basedgod for these new fukkery Spurs.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Yeah good point. Although on the other hand every sport has marquee teams that will always be there or thereabouts. Doesn't stop other teams from making smart decisions and scouting properly. Bit of a cop-out to think otherwise tbh. Some of the contracts given out are just ludicrous.
It's a huge copout

It is harder to win in a smaller market because you cannot sign superstar talent in the free agent market, but if you build your team strong enough that player is not going to leave.

I remember Chris Webber talking about there being no soul food restaurants in Sacramento during his free agent year, but he signed a max contract with them because they could pay the most and they had a legit shot at winning a title.

The only big market perennial contender is the Lakers.
Yeah, this is true altho they too a break in the 1990s after Magic caught the monster.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Bullets/Wizards fans, as a Knick fan I have lived a decade in your world of inept front offices and playoff hopes ending in the first month. I understand your struggle :to:

But fukk you nikkas we made it :blessed:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Yep. It's the superstar sport. There's a reason people gave zero fukks about that Spurs/Pistons series. Although, saying that, NBA fans got a bad rep for ignoring that series.

There was one close game out of 7 when Robert Horry blacked out in Game 5. That's the sort of shyt that happens when two good "teams" face each other. Timmy is a GOAT candidate and all but thank basedgod for these new fukkery Spurs.

Maybe Im getting old but I remember all but 2 of those games being close.

The Spurs being labelled as boring is one of the saddest narratives in American sports. Shaq's Lakers were more boring to me than the Spurs.

SCORCH

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's all smart decisions and scouting properly, other than the three times that centres wanted to go to the Lakers. Obviously luck comes into it, like getting Jordan second, drug bans for the 80s Rockets, Palace brwal bans for the Pistons, and Wade being a fukking cheat. Tbf it's also easy for teams to be overlooked for being in the top 5-6, when there's no defining league structure or european reward like with the prem. The idea anyone could criticise the NBA like football leagues is absurd.

God I'd be sooooo facking pissed if this kind of shyt happened in football.

Imagine missing out on an Oscar and ending up with a bum like Cleverly. I'd kill myself :wow:

KOTK

Pro
Daps
@SCORCH Mata to Gervinho
Bullets/Wizards fans, as a Knick fan I have lived a decade in your world of inept front offices and playoff hopes ending in the first month. I understand your struggle :to:

But fukk you nikkas we made it :blessed:
:whoo: jumping the gun a bit

Last edited by a moderator: