Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Dominique Wilkins

Georgia Dawg
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA

Here's their take on all 10 prospects, ranked in order of likely draft position, followed by prospect notes on UCLA, Ohio State and North Carolina.

1. Karl-Anthony Towns | F/C | Fr. | Draft range: 1-5

Towns is the consensus No. 1 UK player on the board despite the fact he hasn't necessarily had a breakout season offensively. Against UCLA he posted 10 rebounds and two blocks in 20 minutes of play. However, he scored just four points on 2-for-5 shooting. Towns is a more skilled offensive player than he's shown at Kentucky. He's been especially quiet lately on offense, scoring just two points against North Carolina and six points versus Columbia.

Some of that is on the Harrison twins, Andrew and Aaron. They both tend to dominate the ball and Towns doesn't get nearly as many touches as he deserves. And some of it is on Towns not being as aggressive as he could be when he does get the ball. Defensively, he's been great as both a rebounder and a shot-blocker. While most NBA scouts and GMs prefer Duke's Jahlil Okafor over Towns right now for the top pick, there are some who believe Towns has bigger upside and could end up surpassing Okafor on draft night.

"You put Towns on any other team in college basketball, maybe with the exception of Duke, and everyone is talking about him as a legitimate Player of the Year candidate," said one GM. "His stats, or lack thereof, aren't an issue of talent, it's an issue of so much talent on the floor that he can take a back seat."

2. Willie Cauley-Stein | C | Jr. | Draft range: 5-10

Cauley-Stein's draft stock has made a huge jump over the past few weeks. We've always known he's a freaky athlete and a defensive monster. When he and Towns are on the floor together, it's almost impossible for teams to score in the paint. But this season Cauley-Stein has shown more aggressiveness offensively and overall he's played with more fire. His ability to run the floor for a player his size is elite. Against UCLA on Saturday he had eight points, five rebounds, four blocks and two steals. A few scouts believe he could end up going as high as No. 5 in the draft. The majority, however, think that his lack of offensive polish, his age and his unusual personality may cause him to land in the 8-10 range. Either way, it's looking like he's a top-10 pick.

"He has the potential to be an elite NBA defender," said an NBA scout. "I don't think we're expecting a lot of offense from him, but I could see him having a career like Tyson Chandler. I actually think he's a better shot-blocker than Tyson. He's not a gym rat and that's going to turn off some NBA guys because they'll wonder if he'll put in the work. But there's so much to work with there. I love him."

3. Trey Lyles | F | Fr. | Draft range: 15-25

Lyles isn't a dynamic athlete like Towns or Cauley-Stein, nor does he have elite length. But he's the most offensively skilled big man on Kentucky. He has a high basketball IQ, can shoot and post up. He rarely makes a bad play. Lyles had nine points, four rebounds and two assists versus UCLA. His lack of incredible athleticism means his stock is a little lower than that of Towns or Cauley-Stein. Some scouts have him ranked just outside the lottery. Others have him ranked as a late first-rounder. One scout who was particularly high on Lyles compared him to a young Juwan Howard.

"When you see him on the floor with Towns and Cauley-Stein playing small forward, you forget that he's 6-foot-9 or 6-foot-10. He looks like a wing out there running around," one GM chuckled. "He'll be a power forward in the NBA and I think that will help his draft stock. As long as he doesn't have to guard NBA wings, I think he'll be very good."

4. Dakari Johnson | C | So. | Draft range: 20-30

Johnson also had a strong game against UCLA. While he only scored four points, he tallied five rebounds, six assists and four blocks. He's not quite the defender that Cauley-Stein or Towns are, so four blocks was a surprise. He has power and knows how to carve out space in the paint. While pro teams don't think he's a star, many of them see him as an ideal backup center in the NBA.

"He plays hard, he competes, he can score a little and he can rebound," one GM said. "I'm not sure there's any one thing he does great, but he doesn't have a lot of weaknesses either. I know we could use him right now. He'd get 20 minutes a night on my team. You can't have enough bigs."

5. Devin Booker | SG | Fr. | Draft range: 25-35

Booker is the best shooter on the Wildcats and, when he's on, he's the guy who makes their offense sizzle. He was on fire against UCLA. He led all scorers with 19 points and went 5-for-6 from beyond the arc. Booker is shooting 46 percent from behind the arc this season. While Booker is neither a high-flying athlete nor a lock-down defender, his ability to shoot the basketball has scouts very interested.

"When you look around at the draft, there just aren't any wings who can really shoot the ball," one NBA scout said. "You've got R.J. Hunter and who else really? Booker isn't just a good shooter, he's a great one and there's always room on a NBA team for a great shooter. I'd be shocked if someone didn't snag him in the 20s."

6. Tyler Ulis | PG | Fr. | Draft range: 30-45

Ulis doesn't look the part of a NBA prospect. He's just 5-9, severely undersized for an NBA point guard. But that doesn't stop NBA scouts and GMs from loving him. Ulis is a pass-first PG with expert court vision. He can also shoot the ball from deep and is a pesky defender. Every single scout and GM I spoke with believed that if John Calipari handed over the full-time PG role to Ulis, the Wildcats would be even better. Against UCLA Ulis had seven points, seven rebounds, six assists and just one turnover.

"He might be my favorite point guard in the country," one GM said. "I'd love to see him on the floor with Cauley-Stein and Towns more often. I just think Kentucky's offense runs so much better when he's out there. As scary as they are right now, how much scarier would they be if Ulis was playing 30 or 35 minutes? Few guards see and play the game the way he does. I know he's little and that does limit what he can do in the NBA, but once the second round hit, I'd grab early. I just think he brings everything else that you look for in a point guard to the table."

7. Marcus Lee | PF | So. | Draft range: 30-45

Lee is a crazy athlete but he's clearly a step behind the rest when it comes to production (he had five points and six rebounds against UCLA). Regardless, scouts love his length and explosive leaping ability. He's a work-in-progress player who probably needs to stay in school another year to develop more of an offensive game. But he has the raw tools to play in the NBA someday.

"Every time he's on the floor my eyes go directly to him," said a scout. "He makes more mistakes than the rest of the group and, developmentally, I think he's the weakest player in their 10. But he's got some physical tools and energy that you can't teach and I think that makes him a NBA player, maybe even a first-rounder if he's willing to wait another year."

8. Andrew Harrison | G | So. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Harrison had a team-high eight assists on Saturday and hit a couple of big 3s. He's been steady and good at times. Also, he's cut down on his turnovers this season, which is a major plus. But it's clear that scouts and GMs continue to question whether either Andrew or his brother Aaron have a place in the NBA. Many scouts are skeptical that Andrew has the speed, quickness or unselfishness to play point guard in the pros. While Andrew dished out eight assists against the Bruins, there were times when he clearly missed open teammates and tried too hard to look for his own shot. Scouts also point to his hideous 29 percent shooting from behind the arc and 38 percent overall field-goal mark, and wonder why he's shooting at all.

"Look at the way he looks off guys who are open," one NBA GM said during one sequence in the second half. "I'd love to see how long that would last in a (NBA) summer league game. He hasn't proven he should ever be the guy on this team taking the shot."

9. Aaron Harrison | SG | So. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Aaron was the second-leading scorer on Saturday with 15 points. He was 3-for-8 from beyond the arc and got the team rolling coming out of the gate. When Harrison is hitting 3s, he looks like a potential first-round pick or second-rounder. When he isn't, there's very little else that he brings, from a NBA standpoint, to the table. So far this season, he's shooting just 27 percent from behind the arc, and, like his brother, just 38 percent overall. Those are awful numbers for a player whose main calling card is supposed to be shooting.

"If he was a more consistent shooter, I could see it," one NBA scout said. "But he's not. He's streaky and he doesn't have anything else to his game that really screams NBA to me. I think both of the twins are still living off an inflated reputation coming out of high school and a few good games in the NCAA tournament last year. Neither one is on our Big Board right now. I think they claw to get on a summer league team as undrafted rookies."

10. Alex Poythress | F | Jr. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Poythress tore his ACL on Dec. 12 and is out for the season. He graduates in April, which puts him in a very interesting position: Does he go to the NBA right now, when his draft stock is at an all-time low, or does he return for his senior season at Kentucky and try to prove to scouts that he's more than just a versatile, athletic defender?

"I feel awful for the kid," one scout said. "He's as good of an athlete as you'll ever see and Cal has gotten him to play so hard. He still can't create his own shot and that's what concerns everyone. I don't think he's ready for the NBA, but I'd understand if he came out. He could continue to develop in the D-League."

Other Notes from Saturday

UCLA's prospects

Scouts love seeing top prospects go against Kentucky. Rockets GM Daryl Morey tweeted during Saturday's game that "One nice thing when U R watching Kentucky, U get 2see how players on the other team would do against an NBA team #UKvsUCLA."

The main attraction on the other side of the court on Saturday was UCLA freshman forward Kevon Looney. Looney is ranked No. 5 on our BigBoard and has the type of length, athleticism and motor to hang with the Kentucky players. It was a pretty rough outing for Looney. He struggled mightily to finish inside against Cauley-Stein and Towns, and while he's normally a beast on the offensive boards, he wasn't quite as dominant as he normally is. He finished the game with nine points, nine rebounds and two blocks but shot just 4-for-14 from the floor. Nevertheless, it wasn't all bad for Looney. He was the one player on UCLA who didn't seem to back down from Kentucky. He kept attacking the entire game, made some athletic plays on the defensive end and showed NBA scouts why they loved him in the first place.

"I think we saw a couple of things," one NBA scout said after the game. "One, we saw he's going to struggle coming out of the gate playing in the NBA. Kentucky took away a lot of things he likes to do. Like most rookies, it's going to be a big adjustment. Second, I think you saw the talent and the character he has. He fought the whole game. He kept coming at the them and he missed a few shots that really just rimmed out. If he was 7-for-14 from the floor with 15 points and nine boards, we'd be saying he actually played well versus UK. I think he's going very, very high."

The rest of UCLA's squad was awful. Norman Powell, a senior, was just 1-for-13 from the field and looked completely lost. Big man Tony Parker was completely overwhelmed by the UK front line and went just 1-for-10 from the field. Redshirt Freshman Isaac Hamilton had 14 points on 6-for-14 shooting but took too many bad shots in the first half. All of UCLA's players looked completely outmatched against Kentucky. That could be especially devastating for Powell, as coming into the game some scouts saw him as a potential first-rounder.

Prospects from Ohio State-North Carolina

Ohio State freshman D'Angelo Russell had one of his toughest outings on Saturday against North Carolina. Russell's jump shot wasn't falling and he didn't really take over the game the way scouts expect him to. He ended with just 11 points on 4-for-17 shooting, though he did have eight rebounds, five assists and three steals. Still, there seemed to be consensus in the gym that he's a lottery pick. Not everyone sees him as a point guard, but about 75 percent of scouts I spoke with think that's the position he'll ultimately play in the pros.

"He's so smooth," one NBA scout said. "He's got the chance to be a special player. You love big point guards who can shoot it, get to the rim, see the floor and know how to balance all of that. I wish he was a little quicker or more explosive. He might have some issues defensively. But offensively he could be really good in our league."

North Carolina got its best win of the season on Saturday. The team doesn't have any lottery prospects right now despite being loaded with former McDonald's All-Americans. Freshman wing Justin Jackson draws the most interest. He had 11 points on Saturday to go along with four rebounds and five assists. He needs to add strength and show scouts he can shoot from 3, but his mid-range game is special.

Brice Johnson had the best game of the group for North Carolina, going 8-for-10 from the field and grabbing nine rebounds. However, scouts still see him as a bubble first-rounder.

Scouts seem to be cooling dramatically on Marcus Paige, openly questioning whether the team runs better when Joel Berry is running the point. J.P. Tokoto intrigued a number of scouts with athleticism and ability to see the floor. "He's the best passer on North Carolina," one GM said. "I just wish he had a jump shot or a handle. He's got an unusual game. Great athlete, great passer, not much else. Not sure where he fits."

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

Part 2

6. Tyler Ulis | PG | Fr. | Draft range: 30-45

Ulis doesn't look the part of a NBA prospect. He's just 5-9, severely undersized for an NBA point guard. But that doesn't stop NBA scouts and GMs from loving him. Ulis is a pass-first PG with expert court vision. He can also shoot the ball from deep and is a pesky defender. Every single scout and GM I spoke with believed that if John Calipari handed over the full-time PG role to Ulis, the Wildcats would be even better. Against UCLA Ulis had seven points, seven rebounds, six assists and just one turnover.

"He might be my favorite point guard in the country," one GM said. "I'd love to see him on the floor with Cauley-Stein and Towns more often. I just think Kentucky's offense runs so much better when he's out there. As scary as they are right now, how much scarier would they be if Ulis was playing 30 or 35 minutes? Few guards see and play the game the way he does. I know he's little and that does limit what he can do in the NBA, but once the second round hit, I'd grab early. I just think he brings everything else that you look for in a point guard to the table."

7. Marcus Lee | PF | So. | Draft range: 30-45

Lee is a crazy athlete but he's clearly a step behind the rest when it comes to production (he had five points and six rebounds against UCLA). Regardless, scouts love his length and explosive leaping ability. He's a work-in-progress player who probably needs to stay in school another year to develop more of an offensive game. But he has the raw tools to play in the NBA someday.

"Every time he's on the floor my eyes go directly to him," said a scout. "He makes more mistakes than the rest of the group and, developmentally, I think he's the weakest player in their 10. But he's got some physical tools and energy that you can't teach and I think that makes him a NBA player, maybe even a first-rounder if he's willing to wait another year."

8. Andrew Harrison | G | So. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Harrison had a team-high eight assists on Saturday and hit a couple of big 3s. He's been steady and good at times. Also, he's cut down on his turnovers this season, which is a major plus. But it's clear that scouts and GMs continue to question whether either Andrew or his brother Aaron have a place in the NBA. Many scouts are skeptical that Andrew has the speed, quickness or unselfishness to play point guard in the pros. While Andrew dished out eight assists against the Bruins, there were times when he clearly missed open teammates and tried too hard to look for his own shot. Scouts also point to his hideous 29 percent shooting from behind the arc and 38 percent overall field-goal mark, and wonder why he's shooting at all.

"Look at the way he looks off guys who are open," one NBA GM said during one sequence in the second half. "I'd love to see how long that would last in a (NBA) summer league game. He hasn't proven he should ever be the guy on this team taking the shot."

9. Aaron Harrison | SG | So. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Aaron was the second-leading scorer on Saturday with 15 points. He was 3-for-8 from beyond the arc and got the team rolling coming out of the gate. When Harrison is hitting 3s, he looks like a potential first-round pick or second-rounder. When he isn't, there's very little else that he brings, from a NBA standpoint, to the table. So far this season, he's shooting just 27 percent from behind the arc, and, like his brother, just 38 percent overall. Those are awful numbers for a player whose main calling card is supposed to be shooting.

"If he was a more consistent shooter, I could see it," one NBA scout said. "But he's not. He's streaky and he doesn't have anything else to his game that really screams NBA to me. I think both of the twins are still living off an inflated reputation coming out of high school and a few good games in the NCAA tournament last year. Neither one is on our Big Board right now. I think they claw to get on a summer league team as undrafted rookies."

10. Alex Poythress | F | Jr. | Draft range: 45 to undrafted

Poythress tore his ACL on Dec. 12 and is out for the season. He graduates in April, which puts him in a very interesting position: Does he go to the NBA right now, when his draft stock is at an all-time low, or does he return for his senior season at Kentucky and try to prove to scouts that he's more than just a versatile, athletic defender?

"I feel awful for the kid," one scout said. "He's as good of an athlete as you'll ever see and Cal has gotten him to play so hard. He still can't create his own shot and that's what concerns everyone. I don't think he's ready for the NBA, but I'd understand if he came out. He could continue to develop in the D-League."

Other Notes from Saturday

UCLA's prospects

Scouts love seeing top prospects go against Kentucky. Rockets GM Daryl Morey tweeted during Saturday's game that "One nice thing when U R watching Kentucky, U get 2see how players on the other team would do against an NBA team #UKvsUCLA."

The main attraction on the other side of the court on Saturday was UCLA freshman forward Kevon Looney. Looney is ranked No. 5 on our BigBoard and has the type of length, athleticism and motor to hang with the Kentucky players. It was a pretty rough outing for Looney. He struggled mightily to finish inside against Cauley-Stein and Towns, and while he's normally a beast on the offensive boards, he wasn't quite as dominant as he normally is. He finished the game with nine points, nine rebounds and two blocks but shot just 4-for-14 from the floor. Nevertheless, it wasn't all bad for Looney. He was the one player on UCLA who didn't seem to back down from Kentucky. He kept attacking the entire game, made some athletic plays on the defensive end and showed NBA scouts why they loved him in the first place.

"I think we saw a couple of things," one NBA scout said after the game. "One, we saw he's going to struggle coming out of the gate playing in the NBA. Kentucky took away a lot of things he likes to do. Like most rookies, it's going to be a big adjustment. Second, I think you saw the talent and the character he has. He fought the whole game. He kept coming at the them and he missed a few shots that really just rimmed out. If he was 7-for-14 from the floor with 15 points and nine boards, we'd be saying he actually played well versus UK. I think he's going very, very high."

The rest of UCLA's squad was awful. Norman Powell, a senior, was just 1-for-13 from the field and looked completely lost. Big man Tony Parker was completely overwhelmed by the UK front line and went just 1-for-10 from the field. Redshirt Freshman Isaac Hamilton had 14 points on 6-for-14 shooting but took too many bad shots in the first half. All of UCLA's players looked completely outmatched against Kentucky. That could be especially devastating for Powell, as coming into the game some scouts saw him as a potential first-rounder.

Prospects from Ohio State-North Carolina

Ohio State freshman D'Angelo Russell had one of his toughest outings on Saturday against North Carolina. Russell's jump shot wasn't falling and he didn't really take over the game the way scouts expect him to. He ended with just 11 points on 4-for-17 shooting, though he did have eight rebounds, five assists and three steals. Still, there seemed to be consensus in the gym that he's a lottery pick. Not everyone sees him as a point guard, but about 75 percent of scouts I spoke with think that's the position he'll ultimately play in the pros.

"He's so smooth," one NBA scout said. "He's got the chance to be a special player. You love big point guards who can shoot it, get to the rim, see the floor and know how to balance all of that. I wish he was a little quicker or more explosive. He might have some issues defensively. But offensively he could be really good in our league."

North Carolina got its best win of the season on Saturday. The team doesn't have any lottery prospects right now despite being loaded with former McDonald's All-Americans. Freshman wing Justin Jackson draws the most interest. He had 11 points on Saturday to go along with four rebounds and five assists. He needs to add strength and show scouts he can shoot from 3, but his mid-range game is special.

Brice Johnson had the best game of the group for North Carolina, going 8-for-10 from the field and grabbing nine rebounds. However, scouts still see him as a bubble first-rounder.

Scouts seem to be cooling dramatically on Marcus Paige, openly questioning whether the team runs better when Joel Berry is running the point. J.P. Tokoto intrigued a number of scouts with athleticism and ability to see the floor. "He's the best passer on North Carolina," one GM said. "I just wish he had a jump shot or a handle. He's got an unusual game. Great athlete, great passer, not much else. Not sure where he fits."

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

Chad Ford ESPN Insider
The top three picks haven't changed much since the start of the season, but there's plenty of movement in the eyes of general managers and NBA executives.

No one's stock is rising quite as much as Ohio State guard D'Angelo Russell and Kentucky big man Willie Cauley-Stein, while a pair of Kansas freshmen have NBA folks confused and questioning whether they are legitimate lottery picks and even one-and-done guys.

Here's my Mock Draft 2.0:
Jahlil Okafor
COLLEGE: Duke
CLASS: Frosh
HT: 6-11
WT: 275
POS: C
Analysis: Sure, we all know that Sixers general manager Sam Hinkie already has a pair of big men in Nerlens Noel and Joel Embiid. However, Hinkie will collect as many assets as he can, and then look to pull the trigger on a few deals to put together a team that can be competitive. Hinkie won't pass on Okafor if he doesn't wind up trading the pick. Okafor, Embiid and Noel could be a heck of a frontline rotation even if Hinkie decided to retain all three of them.

PLAYER CARD
Emmanuel Mudiay
COLLEGE: China
HT: 6-5
WT: 196
POS: PG
Analysis: The Knicks just need the best available player, and Mudiay has an incredibly high ceiling. He's a big, strong and athletic point guard who was impressive (albeit against far less athletic point guards) in China before suffering an ankle injury. Phil Jackson and Derek Fisher need an upgrade at the point, with Jose Calderon and Shane Larkin currently splitting the minutes. Mudiay has the potential to become a star.

PLAYER CARD
Karl-Anthony Towns
COLLEGE: Kentucky
WT: 250
Analysis: Stan Van Gundy will make the call here, and with the likely departure of Greg Monroe, and after waiving Josh Smith, he'll need another front-line guy. Towns has a chance to be special. He's incredibly talented and versatile, but it'll take time for him to develop at the next level.

PLAYER CARD
Kristaps Porzingis
COLLEGE: Latvia
WT: 220
POS: PF
Analysis: He's a legit 7-footer who can shoot the 3, and while he's not physically strong yet, he's not afraid. Porzingis is extremely skilled, and is exactly what the Wolves could use along their front line after losing Kevin Love.

PLAYER CARD
Justise Winslow
HT: 6-6
WT: 222
POS: SF
Analysis: Utah has a couple of quality big men with Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter. They have an emerging star in Gordon Hayward, and couple of young guards who were drafted high in Trey Burke and Dante Exum. Winslow gives them a high-energy, defense-minded wing with size and a developing offensive game.

PLAYER CARD
Stanley Johnson
COLLEGE: Arizona
HT: 6-7
WT: 237
Analysis: The Hornets have a franchise-caliber point guard in Kemba Walker and no shortage of big men with Al Jefferson and young guys Cody Zeller and Noah Vonleh. They need a big-time wing, and Johnson brings a physical toughness to the game in addition to scoring prowess. Johnson still needs to work on his perimeter shot, but he's a guy who can do just about everything else on the floor.

PLAYER CARD
Willie Cauley-Stein
CLASS: Jr
HT: 7-0
WT: 240
Analysis: This was originally the Lakers' pick (dating back to the Steve Nash deal), which goes to the Suns if it's between No. 6 and No. 30. Phoenix has no shortage of guards, and could use a defensive presence in the paint. Right now they are starting Miles Plumlee, and WCS -- while not much further along with Plumlee -- would make a huge difference on the defensive end. Cauley-Stein would also be effective playing the up-tempo Suns' style due to his mobility and athleticism.

PLAYER CARD
D'Angelo Russell
COLLEGE: Ohio State
WT: 176
POS: SG
Analysis: The Pacers will get Paul George back, but the question is whether big man Roy Hibbert elects to return or go elsewhere. This is a tough call, whether to go big with someone such as Willie Cauley-Stein or try and address the point guard/scoring issues. Russell would take some of the pressure off George Hill, can score in a variety of ways and also has a nice feel for the game.

PLAYER CARD
Myles Turner
COLLEGE: Texas
WT: 240
Analysis: The skilled, 6-foot-11 freshman has been productive coming off the bench thus far for the Longhorns, and while he's not a tremendous athlete, he's a guy who can step out and make shots from the perimeter and also score in the post. The Magic have their backcourt of the future with Victor Oladipo and Elfrid Payton, and could use some help up front.

PLAYER CARD
Mario Hezonja
COLLEGE: Croatia
WT: 200
Analysis: The long and athletic Croatian wing plays for FC Barcelona in the ACB League, and can really shoot the ball. Hezonja can score from all three levels, which is something the Celtics desperately need from that spot.

PLAYER CARD
Kevon Looney
COLLEGE: UCLA
HT: 6-10
WT: 210
Analysis: Looney is somewhat in-between positions, more of a skilled power forward than a small forward right now. He's a tremendous rebounder who has shown the ability to make shots. The Nuggets do have Kenneth Faried, but these two would be interesting alongside one another and could play together.

PLAYER CARD
Kelly Oubre
COLLEGE: Kansas
WT: 204
Analysis: Oubre's stock has dropped a bit, but look for his minutes and production to increase. NBA guys still understand he has a high ceiling. The Nuggets could use a young, athletic wing who in time could turn into a star.

PLAYER CARD
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
COLLEGE: Arizona
CLASS: Soph
Analysis: There's no way OKC ends up picking this high as long as Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook remain healthy. Serge Ibaka is a great third guy, and Steven Adams has emerged as a nice low-post presence. The question is whether they can keep Reggie Jackson. These guys need a well-rounded forward who can defend and score a bit.

PLAYER CARD
Sam Dekker
COLLEGE: Wisconsin
HT: 6-9
WT: 230
Analysis: Suns GM Ryan McDonough would be thrilled to add a guy like Dekker, who does a little bit of everything. The Suns are going with Marcus Morris right now, but Dekker -- who has struggled early this season with an ankle injury -- has a chance to be an upgrade over Morris.

PLAYER CARD
Chris McCullough
COLLEGE: Syracuse
HT: 6-9
Analysis: This pick comes courtesy of Sacramento if it's anywhere from 11 to 30. McCullough is a bit of a roll of the dice, but he's got the length and upside that NBA guys salivate over. He's erratic with his effort at times, but he's worth the risk for a Chicago team that doesn't need much beyond good health.

PLAYER CARD
Caris LeVert
COLLEGE: Michigan
WT: 185
Analysis: This pick comes from Miami if it's from 11 to 30. The Sixers need quality wings, and the best ones on the board are Caris Levert, Sam Dekker, R.J. Hunter and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. A guy who can shoot it from behind the arc is important for the Sixers, and that's why they go with Levert (who can do more than just shoot).

PLAYER CARD
Montrezl Harrell
COLLEGE: Louisville
WT: 243
Analysis: The Bucks will be without Jabari Parker for the rest of the season, so look for them to move up on the draft board. Regardless, these guys need someone who can be a physical presence on the glass, and someone who brings a toughness to the team. Harrell plays with high energy and will rebound. While he's not overly skilled, he's improved in that area.

PLAYER CARD
Tyus Jones
HT: 6-1
WT: 170
Analysis: The Pelicans will send this pick to the Rockets if it's between 4 and 19. The Rockets could use an upgrade at the point, and Tyus Jones is a pass-first floor leader who could be lethal with James Harden and Dwight Howard.

PLAYER CARD
Frank Kaminsky
COLLEGE: Wisconsin
CLASS: Sr
WT: 234
Analysis: The Wisconsin senior big man is ideal for the Spurs' system. He can step out and shoot it as a 7-footer, he has an extremely high IQ and is a high-character guy. I'm not sure he slides this far, but if he does, the Spurs won't pass.

PLAYER CARD
Cliff Alexander
COLLEGE: Kansas
HT: 6-8
WT: 251
Analysis: The Bulls don't necessarily need Alexander with Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson, but it would be tough to pass on the local product if he slips down this far. He's a pure power guy who could give the Bulls a tough power forward coming off the bench.

PLAYER CARD
Terry Rozier
COLLEGE: Louisville
HT: 6-2
WT: 190
Analysis: The Cavs need someone who can defend, and Rozier can certainly do that. The question is whether he's a point or an off-guard. He's actually a true combo guard, but again, the key for Cleveland is to get someone in who can play strong defense.

PLAYER CARD
Jakob Poeltl
COLLEGE: Utah
WT: 230
Analysis: This one came from the Clippers for Doc Rivers. Poeltl is a hard-playing, mobile true 7-footer who runs the floor well and also rebounds well outside of his area. He needs to improve his low-post game, but Poeltl has been the one freshman who has come out of nowhere.

PLAYER CARD
Trey Lyles
WT: 235
Analysis: The Mavs have guys who can score -- Dirk Nowitzki, Monta Ellis and Chandler Parsons. Now they have a point guard in Rajon Rondo. Go for the best player available; in this case, that's the ultra-skilled Lyles.

PLAYER CARD
Tyrone Wallace
COLLEGE: California
Analysis: The Lakers (who get this pick via Houston) will get Julius Randle back next season, and have Kobe Bryant and Nick Young. They need a high-end point guard, and the 6-foot-5 Wallace is moving up the draft boards. His weakness has been shooting, but he's making shots this season while doing everything else for the Bears. He's got some Michael Carter-Williams to his game.

PLAYER CARD
Chris Walker
COLLEGE: Florida
Analysis: The backcourt is young and talented, with John Wall and Bradley Beal, but the Wizards could use another live body up front. Walker is raw and still needs to figure some things out, but he's long, athletic and was blessed with so much natural ability.

PLAYER CARD
Jerian Grant
COLLEGE: Notre Dame
CLASS: Sr
Analysis: The Nets need just about everything. Kevin Garnett is on his way out, Deron Williams isn't getting any younger (and could be traded) and Brook Lopez has been prone to injury. Grant thought about declaring last season after being suspended for the second semester due to academics, but decided to return. It was a good choice; he's having a heck of a season. He's playing primarily off the ball, and can create offense for himself and others.

PLAYER CARD
Devin Booker
WT: 195
The NBA folks are starting to talk about Booker -- who is Kentucky's best pure perimeter shooter. He certainly benefits from getting open looks, but he's been making them -- and has size to go along with the ability to make shots from beyond the arc. The Grizzlies could use a knockdown shooter -- even though Courtney Lee has been doing the job well thus far.

PLAYER CARD
R.J. Hunter
COLLEGE: Georgia St
Analysis: The Raptors could use a lights-out shooter. They have Kyle Lowry running the team, ultra-athletic DeMar DeRozan and plenty of other nice pieces with Terrence Ross, Lou Williams and Jonas Valanciunas. Hunter is a 2-guard who can really stroke it from deep.

PLAYER CARD
Dakari Johnson
WT: 255
Analysis: The Blazers have a nice young core, led by LaMarcus Aldridge and Damian Lillard. Robin Lopez has done a quality job in the post rebounding and scoring when necessary, and Johnson could be a quality backup.

PLAYER CARD
Bobby Portis
COLLEGE: Arkansas
WT: 231
Analysis: The Warriors have their perimeter set for a while with Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, but the injuries to Andrew Bogut and David Lee have made it a priority to add another frontcourt guy. Portis has made strides over the past season in his offense and intensity.

PLAYER CARD
Traded picks:

1. The Wolves will send their pick to the Suns if it falls between 13-30.
2. The Kings will send their first-round pick to the Bulls if it falls somewhere between 11-30.
3. The Lakers will send their first-round pick to the Suns if it falls somewhere between 6-30.
4. The Pelicans will send their pick to the Rockets if it falls somewhere between 4-19.
5. The Hawks have the right to swap first-round picks with the Nets.
6. The Grizzlies will send their first-round pick to the Cavs if it falls somewhere between 6-14.
7. The Heat will send their first-round pick to the Sixers (via the Cavs) if it falls somewhere between 11-30.
8. The Rockets will send their first-round pick to the Lakers if it falls somewhere between 15-30.
9. The Clippers will send their first-round pick to the Celtics.
10. The Bulls can swap first-round picks with the Cavs if the Cavs' pick falls between 15-30.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Pro Bowl snubs, reaches

Each year, the Pro Bowl announcements cause quite a stir as deserving players are overlooked, while name recognition propels others to get selected for the NFL's all-star game. It's always nice to see some players get their due, as many first-time selections battle through years of "snubs" before breaking through.

While the voting is often marred by preconceived opinions and highlight-driven analysis, Pro Football Focus takes an every-snap approach to sort through player performance.

Here's a look at the biggest mistakes the Pro Bowl voters made this season, including six deserving players who didn't make it and six selections who were less than worthy.

Snubs

Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans Saints

The idea that Brees is on the decline has been overstated. He's very much the same player he's been in recent years, but the talent on both sides of the ball in New Orleans has been lacking this season, resulting in an inconsistent season for the Saints.

As with most quarterbacks, Brees has carried the burden of the Saints' struggles. And while he's had some struggles in two of his last three games, he's still been excellent for the majority of the season. If there's one complaint, he's put the ball in harm's way a bit more than usual, forcing some throws into coverage and often throwing at inopportune times. His plus-31.6 overall grade ranks second among quarterbacks, and his play-by-play grading is a great indicator of his consistency. Brees has the lowest percentage of negatively graded throws on the season, so he's far from declining and still very much one of the league's best quarterbacks.

Andrew Whitworth, OT, Cincinnati Bengals

The offensive line may be most susceptible to name-recognition selections. And while Whitworth may not have the necessary star power just yet, he's been one of the best tackles in the league for a few years now.

He currently is carrying the top grade among offensive tackles at PFF at plus-35.0, including a plus-21.1 pass-blocking grade. On 529 snaps in pass protection, Whitworth has yet to surrender a sack, and he's given up only one QB hit and eight hurries, good for a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.6 to lead all tackles. He tops off his all-around effort with a plus-12.0 grade as a run-blocker, good for third in the league. Whitworth has as good a case as any Pro Bowl snub.

Khalil Mack, OLB, Oakland Raiders

Just as offensive linemen usually get the nod due to reputation, edge rushers make a splash with sack totals -- and that's the only thing that Mack's resume is lacking. Sack totals are an overrated measure of a pass-rusher's impact, as they represent only a small percentage of plays and quickly pressuring the quarterback often is just as important as being the one to bring him down.

Mack has provided plenty of pressure this year, as he's complemented his four sacks with 10 QB hits, 40 hurries and three batted passes on his 455 rushes, good for a plus-9.6 pass-rush grade. Where Mack really stands out is in the running game, as he's already established himself as one of best, if not the best, edge defenders in the league. His plus-48 run-stopping grade dwarfs his nearest competition (Von Miller at plus-21.2), and only Miller's plus-34.7 mark in 2012 rivals Mack's in recent years. He has absolutely dominated tackles, tight ends and full backs in the run game this season, while providing above-average pressure. Mack should have been a lock for a Pro Bowl spot.

Dont'a Hightower, ILB, New England Patriots

Our top-graded inside linebacker this season, Hightower has posted an impressive plus-27.2 mark despite filling a variety of roles on the Patriots' defense. Whether lined up as an edge rusher or in the middle of the defense, Hightower has graded well in all areas, including a plus-12.0 against the run, plus-7.1 as a pass-rusher and plus-8.9 in coverage. On his 155 rushes, he has picked up eight sacks, nine QB hits and 17 hurries, and he has done so whether isolated as an edge rusher or blitzing through the middle.

Hightower's teammate, Jamie Collins, is another potential snub, as his plus-20.2 overall grade consists of similarly impressive all-around play. The Patriots' linebackers have been a key part of their defensive success this season.

DeAndre Levy, OLB, Detroit Lions

The Pro Bowl roster position requirements are quirky on the defensive side of the ball. Outside linebackers in a 3-4 scheme play completely different roles as outside linebackers in a 4-3. The 3-4 linebackers are essentially defensive ends, so they get the flashy sack totals and, subsequently, the Pro Bowl roster spots.

It's unfortunate for players like Levy, who has excelled in his role this season, particularly against the run (plus-18.8). He leads all 4-3 outside linebackers with a run-stop percentage of 14.5 percent, while his 32 stops in the passing game rank second among all linebackers. Levy has played all 1,004 of the Lions' defensive snaps this season, and his three-down ability has been a huge part of their defensive success.

Harrison Smith, FS, Minnesota Vikings

Safeties often are difficult to assess as a few big plays can skew perception, but Smith has been efficient in all phases this season, grading positively in coverage (plus-3.2), against the run (plus-9.5) and as a blitzer (plus-2.0).

He also has the requisite big plays, including five interceptions and three sacks, so his omission is a curious one. The Vikings' new defense has showcased his versatility, as he's lined up at free safety (422 snaps), strong safety (306 snaps) and in the slot (128 snaps) while making plays at each position.

Shouldn't have made it

Jahri Evans, OG, New Orleans Saints

A perfect example of a reputation pick, Evans is not having a good season, as his minus-6.7 overall grade is tied for 47th among guards. He has really struggled in pass protection, where his minus-17.9 grade is second-worst in the league, while his pass-blocking efficiency of 94.7 is sixth from the bottom. He has surrendered five sacks, seven QB hits and 33 hurries on his 699 pass-blocking snaps -- hardly Pro Bowl material.

He has managed to show well in the running game, as his plus-8.8 grade attests, but the pass-protection struggles are too much to overlook, especially with a number of better options at the position.

Ryan Clady, OT, Denver Broncos

Sticking with the offensive line name recognition theme, Clady gets the Pro Bowl nod despite a subpar season that has him grading at minus-4.2 overall and ranking 45th among offensive tackles. His pass-protection struggles are less pronounced than Evans', but he still has surrendered two sacks, seven QB hits and 21 hurries despite the aid of Peyton Manning's quick release from under center.

Throw in a minus-4.6 run-blocking grade and 2014 has not been Clady's best season. Clady makes the team off reputation alone, while Whitworth looks like an obvious better choice based on their bodies of work this season.

Patrick Peterson, CB, Arizona Cardinals

A high-profiled position like cornerback often comes with intense scrutiny, especially when players engage in Twitter wars, as Peterson has done with some of his peers. But when it comes to on-field production, Peterson just hasn't stacked up. While Peterson's physical ability is unquestioned, he still gives up a lot of plays in coverage, including eight touchdowns, tied for second most among cornerbacks. His minus-4.3 coverage grade ranks 76th at the position, and opposing quarterbacks have a 97.9 passer rating when throwing into his coverage.

In the past, the defense for Peterson has been his moving around to cover opposing top wide receivers. But that hasn't been the case this year, as he has played 70 percent of his snaps on the left side and only shadowed opposing receivers in a handful of games. No matter the measure, Peterson is behind a number of cornerbacks this season, especially if you compare his body of work to the other Pro Bowlers, particularly Darrelle Revis, Richard Sherman and Joe Haden, the cornerbacks to which he often is compared.

LeSean McCoy, RB, Philadelphia Eagles

What a difference a year makes, as McCoy falls from the top-graded PFF running back at plus-27.3 in 2013 to second-lowest at minus-10.2 this season. Injuries along the offensive line for the Eagles certainly played a part early in the season, but McCoy still has been running behind one of the better run-blocking units in the league.

He hasn't looked like himself for much of the season, often trying to do too much and failing to get to the second level, where he's one of the league's most dangerous open-field runners. Whether looking at his minus-2.1 run grade or his minus-7.3 mark in the passing game, the production simply isn't there this season to warrant a Pro Bowl selection.

Dontari Poe, NT, Kansas City Chiefs

It feels harsh putting Poe on this list, as three-down nose tackles are extremely hard to come by and Poe has been a workhorse the last two seasons. He led all defensive tackles with 1,004 snaps last year, and he once again leads with 903 this season. While his ability to stay on the field is valuable, there has been a steady decline in his play, particularly in recent weeks.

He is grading at minus-1.2 on the season, good for 39th among defensive tackles, but that number falls to minus-8.2 in games since Week 9. Perhaps the heavy workload is getting to him; he's grading at minus-5.5 against the run this year, as compared to a plus-9.7 mark a year ago.

T.J. Ward, SS, Denver Broncos

It hasn't been a bad season for Ward by any means, but there are simply some better options at safety this year. He has just about lived up to his reputation as one of the better run-stopping safeties in the league, grading at plus-3.1, but he's had his struggles in coverage at minus-7.2. Coverage has never been his strength, but he's generally been competent enough in that area in recent seasons.

The other knock on Ward's game is his tackling, where he has missed 18 on the season, fifth most in the league. He has missed one out of every 5.5 tackle attempts, ninth worst among qualifying safeties. Ward's selection isn't bad compared to some of the others on this list, but there are safeties more deserving of his spot.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Top 10 prospects by position
With the nonconference schedules behind them and conference play coming up, it's time to update our NBA prospect positional rankings heading into the new year. While the top remains fairly steady, there has been some major movement as we get further into the ranks.

The clearest trend so far this season? This is a terrific draft for big men, many of whom are potential lottery picks. Small forward is also a strong position this season. The real drop-off is in the backcourt. There are a couple of interesting point guard prospects but that's about it. If you are looking for perimeter help, this draft isn't for you.

Here's a rank of the top-10 prospects at each position, based on my conversations with dozens of NBA scouts and GMs. (Ranks that follow player listings correspond to their Top 100 position.)

Centers

1. Jahlil Okafor, Duke, Fr. (1)
2. Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky, Fr. (3)
3. Willie Cauley-Stein, Kentucky, Jr. (8)
4. Jakob Poeltl, Utah, Fr. (14)
5. Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin, Sr. (16)
6. Robert Upshaw, Washington, So. (29)
7. Dakari Johnson, Kentucky, So. (31)
8. Amida Brimah, UConn, So. (38)
9. Damian Jones, Vanderbilt, So. (39)
10. Kennedy Meeks, North Carolina, So. (59)

Other notable C prospects: Guillermo Hernangomez, Spain; Marko Arapovic, Croatia; Moussa Diagne, Senegal; Isaac Haas, Purdue; Ilimane Diop, France; Kaleb Tarczewski, Arizona; Yankuba Sima, Spain; A.J. Hammons, Purdue; Chinanu Onuaku, Louisville; Nikola Milutinov, Serbia; Josh Smith, Georgetown

We have nine centers ranked as potential first-rounders and five of them as potential lottery picks. That's extremely rare. This may be the best draft for centers we've seen in a decade.
Okafor and Towns are duking it out for the No. 1 pick. While Okafor looks like the better offensive talent, Towns has been a monster defensively and offers higher upside. Okafor is in the lead at the moment, but Towns is still very much in the conversation.

Cauley-Stein has taken another step toward guaranteeing a slot in the top 10. While he lacks offensive prowess, he's the most versatile defensive big man scouts have seen in a long time. He has the ability to guard all five positions on the floor.

Poeltl is another player whose defense is ahead of his offense right now. But every scout who has watched him play thinks he's he will be a starting big man in the NBA someday. Kaminsky is the other guy who has a chance to crack the lottery. He's different than any other big on this board. His ability to stretch the floor is special. He might end up being a stretch 4 in the NBA.
There's a bit of a scrum here from positions No. 6 through No. 9. Upshaw has been a fast riser on the board. He's big, athletic and he's putting up impressive numbers coming off the bench for Washington. He actually leads every center in PER. Questions about his off-court issues and motivation will rise come draft time, but if he continues playing like this all season, he's going to keep moving up the board.

Johnson gets a bit lost at Kentucky playing behind Towns and Cauley-Stein, but he has been very solid and projects as a nice backup big who could start on some NBA teams. Brimah is very raw and can struggle when facing legit bigs (as we saw against Duke) but clearly has NBA size and talent. Jones may be the most underrated of the group. He hasn't played against elite talent but he'll get a chance to prove himself against Kentucky on Jan. 20. Meeks ends the list. He's been highly efficient for the Tar Heels, but lacks ideal size or athleticism for the position.

Power forwards

1. Kristaps Porzingis, Latvia, 19 years old (4)
2. Kevon Looney, UCLA, Fr. (5)
3. Myles Turner, Texas, Fr. (7)
4. Montrezl Harrell, Louisville, Jr. (15)
5. Chris McCullough, Syracuse, Fr. (17)
6. Trey Lyles, Kentucky, Fr. (18)
7. Cliff Alexander, Kansas, Fr. (22)
8. Bobby Portis, Arkansas, So. (28)
9. Christian Wood, UNLV, So. (32)
10. Chris Walker, Florida, So. (33)

Other notable PF prospects: Egemen Guven, Turkey; Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga; Brice Johnson, North Carolina; Jarell Martin, LSU; Marcus Lee, Kentucky; Josh Scott, Colorado; Jordan Mickey, LSU; Alan Williams; UC-Santa Barbara; Rakeem Christmas, Syracuse; Chris Obekpa, St. John's; Rasmus Larsen, Denmark; Brandon Ashley, Arizona; Mike Tobey, Virginia; Mouhammadou Jaiteh, France

Similar to the centers, we have 10 power forwards ranked as potential first-round picks and another four that project as lottery picks. It's possible that 19 of the 30 players taken in the first round this year could be bigs. That's incredible and one of the reasons NBA GMs are getting more and more bullish about the draft.

Porzingis, Looney and Turner are all versatile, athletic bigs who can play and defend multiple positions on the floor. Porzingis seems to have the slight edge among scouts, but a few have Looney or Turner rated higher. All three have a chance to be special, though all three are still a work-in-progress.

Harrell is one of the most consistent players we've ever had on our Big Board. He's ranked somewhere in the 13 to 18 range ever since his freshman year. He brings energy, toughness and has improved every year. If he were two or three inches taller, he'd be much, much higher. But as the game versus Kentucky showed, he may have issues with length in the paint.

McCullough, Lyles and Alexander are the next group of freshmen. None of them are ready for the NBA, but all have tantalizing upside. They are all totally different. McCullough is the best shot blocker of the group and shows the ability to defend multiple positions. His offense has stagnated of late, but the real interest among scouts is his defensive potential. Lyles is the most offensively skilled of the group, and maybe of the entire board. But his lack of elite athleticism limits his ceiling a bit. Alexander has the body of an NBA veteran and plays hard, but developmentally he's got a long way to go. All three could end up going in the back end of the lottery based on potential or could slide into the late first round.

Wood, Portis and Walker are all sophomores. Portis has steadily improved on a solid freshman season but lacks the wow factor of Wood or Walker; he's a well-rounded power forward who does many things well, but doesn't excel at any one thing. Wood is having a breakout season for UNLV. His athleticism and ability to rebound and block shots has vaulted him from outside the Top 100 in July into a possible first-round pick. However, he's a major project for whoever drafts him. Walker is still primarily living off his rep coming out of high school. He's an elite athlete who hasn't found his game yet. He's probably better off going back to school for another year, but should he declare, someone could take a flier on him in the late first round.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Small forwards

1. Justise Winslow, Duke, Fr. (6)
2. Kelly Oubre, Kansas, Fr. (9)
3. Mario Hezonja, Croatia, 19 years old(10)
4. Stanley Johnson, Arizona, Fr. (11)
5. Caris LeVert, Michigan, Jr. (19)
6. Sam Dekker, Wisconsin, Jr. (25)
7. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Arizona, So. (26)
8. Justin Anderson, Virginia, Jr., (27)
9. Justin Jackson, North Carolina, Fr., (37)
10. Troy Williams, Indiana, So. (42)

Other notable SF prospects: Jake Layman, Maryland; Branden Dawson, Michigan State; Alex Poythress, Kentucky; Nedim Buza, Bosnia; J.P. Tokoto, North Carolina; Jonathan Holmes, Texas; Daniel Hamilton, UConn; Theo Pinson, North Carolina; Devin Robinson, Florida; Georges Niang, Iowa State; Malik Pope, San Diego State; Danuel House, Texas A&M; Le'Bryan Nash, Oklahoma State; Winston Shepard, San Diego State

This is another strong group from Nos. 1 through 10. Winslow, Oubre, Hezonja and Johnson are really in a scrum to see who goes first among them. Every NBA front office appears to have a different opinion. Winslow has the most votes right now but it's by a thin margin. Johnson has quickly taken over as the alpha dog at Arizona. Hezonja is finally getting meaningful minutes for FC Barcelona and proving that he's worth the hype we've given him the last few years. Oubre started the season in Bill Self's dog house but is now in the starting five and over the past three games he's been the best player on the floor for KU. He could easily end up as the first wing off the board.

There's also a scrum for the next wings off the board between LeVert, Dekker, Hollis-Jefferson and Anderson. LeVert is the best passer of the group, Dekker has grit and toughness scouts love, Hollis-Jefferson is the best defender and Anderson does a little bit of everything and is currently having the best season of the group. Again, scouts are pretty split on who is the best prospect. This order will likely fluctuate as we get into conference play.

Jackson was ranked higher at the beginning of the season and has a lot of potential, but he may be a year away. He's struggled to break out for the Tar Heels as a freshman. And keep a close eye on Williams. He's having a very solid sophomore year and Fran Frascilla's comp to him as a young Paul George isn't crazy. He can't shoot, which is an issue, but he's a crazy athlete. If he can dominate in Big Ten play and start showing more range on his jumper, he can move up another 15 to 20 spots.

Shooting guards

1. R.J. Hunter, Georgia State, Jr. (13)
2. Devin Booker, Kentucky, Fr. (35)
3. Ron Baker, Wichita State, Jr. (36)
4. Rashad Vaughn, UNLV, Fr. (40)
5. Marc Garcia, Spain, 18 yrs. (45)
6. Jabari Bird, Cal, So. (46)
7. Michael Qualls, Arkansas, So. (49)
8. James Blackmon Jr., Indiana, Fr. (50)
9. Norman Powell, UCLA, Sr. (52)
10. Buddy Hield, Oklahoma, Jr. (53)

Other notable SG prospects: Zak Irvin, Michigan; Wayne Selden, Kansas; E.C. Matthews, Rhode Island; Aaron Harrison, Kentucky; Michael Frazier II, Florida; Terran Petteway, Nebraska; Sindarius Thornwell, South Carolina; Treveon Graham, VCU; Isaiah Whitehead, Seton Hall; Marcus Foster, Kansas State; Kellen Dunham, Butler; Dezmine Wells, Maryland; Levi Randolph, Alabama, Wayne Blackshear, Louisville; Tyler Haws, BYU; Joseph Young, Oregon; Anthony Brown, Stanford

This position is a mess. There just aren't a lot of players who are screaming "NBA starter" here. It's quite possible that just one shooting guard could go in the first round. Teams are desperate for shooting and that is the one thing in common with the top three players on the list. Hunter draws comps to a young Klay Thompson, though he's struggled with his jumper this season as defenses key in on him (he's shooting just 31 percent from 3-point range). Booker is the best shooter on UK and may be the best shooter in the draft. Baker has been also playing really well this season, though scouts worry he'll be limited defensively when having to guard NBA 2s.

Vaughn may be the best pure scorer of the group, but he lacks the jump shot and shot selection to really move up in the rankings. Bird has been battling injuries all season. Qualls is quietly having a breakout sophomore campaign and could end up sneaking into the first round if he can keep shooting the basketball well. He and Powell are the most athletic of this group. Blackmon Jr. has been shooting the lights out for Indiana, but he lacks size and athleticism for his position.

Powell got off to a great start to the season before hitting a horrific shooting slump the last three games. His play against Kentucky really hurt his draft stock. Hield was thought of as a potential first-rounder before the season but has lacked the efficiency so far to crack the top 30.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Point guards

1. Emmanuel Mudiay, China, 19 years old (2)
2. D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State, Fr. (12)
3. Tyrone Wallace, Cal, Jr. (20)
4. Delon Wright, Utah, Sr. (21)
5. Tyus Jones, Duke, Fr. (23)
6. Terry Rozier, Louisville, So. (24)
7. Jerian Grant, Notre Dame, Sr. (30)
8. Isaiah Taylor, Texas, So. (47)
9. Tyler Ulis, Kentucky, Fr. (48)
10. Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame, So. (52)

Other notable PG prospects: Melo Trimble, Maryland; Marcus Paige, North Carolina; Cedi Osman, Macedonia; Andrew Harrison, Kentucky; Gary Payton II, Oregon State; Kenan Sipahi, Kosovo, Kenneth Smith, Louisiana Tech; Anthony Barber, NC State; Nigel Williams-Goss, Washington; Keifer Sykes, Green Bay; Quinn Cook, Duke; Juwan Staten, West Virginia; Guillem Vives, Spain; Yogi Ferrell, Indiana; Fred VanVleet, Wichita State; Kasey Hill, Florida; Shannon Scott, Ohio State; Kyle Collinsworth, BYU; Nate Mason, Minnesota

Mudiay is, far and away, the best point guard prospect of the group. He hasn't played for more than a month in China (first because of an ankle injury and then because his team brought in veteran Will Bynum to take his spot) and word is he may pull a Dante Exum and just spend the rest of the season training and prepping for the draft. It won't matter. His draft stock is pretty set as a top-five pick.

Russell plays shooting guard for Ohio State but I recently changed him to point guard after virtually every scout I spoke with said they are evaluating him as a point guard at the next level. He's been one of the most consistent freshmen in the country and, at 6-foot-5 with deep range on his jumper, could be a very intriguing prospect.

Wallace is the player who is charging up the boards. He's big, athletic and shooting the lights out while running Cal's offense. After two pretty pedestrian years at Cal, I'm not sure there's been a more improved player. Scouts are wondering if he'll revert back to the mean once he gets into Pac 12 play. I doubt it, as he looks like the real deal.

Jones, Ulis and Jackson are the only pure point guards the list. Both lack great size for their position. While scouts prefer Jones because he has three inches on Ulis, Ulis is coming on strong. His toughness and shooting ability may allow him to overcome his lack of height.

Jackson has been sharing point guard duties with Grant, but he's having an excellent season in his own right. He's a pure point guard with great quickness and athleticism. And he's been shooting the lights out this season. He's a major sleeper to watch.

Rozier was ranked higher after a strong performance in the summer. He's been good for Louisville but hasn't shown much in the way of point guard skills, which scares scouts. He's pretty undersized to play the 2 in the NBA.

Both Wright and Grant are 22-year-old seniors who have to overcome the NBA age bias against them. Both are having years worthy of Player of the Year honors. Both have NBA size and athleticism. They are just "old" in terms of being NBA prospects. It will be interesting to see how that ultimately affects their draft stock as you can argue that they are having the two best seasons of anyone on this list.

Lastly, Taylor has been battling injuries all season but shows a nice blend of scoring and passing at the point guard position.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
10 most overrated, underrated so far

OK, it’s time to play the overrated-underrated game with the current season, and we didn’t just limit it to teams or players. We’ve also included a couple of coaches in the underrated category as well as one player’s ego. Overrated? We’ve got leagues, teams, coaches, players and even a recruiting class.

Underrated

1. Tony Bennett, Virginia Cavaliers

The 45-year-old is as low-key as it gets, the furthest thing from a self-promoter. Remember, this is a guy who took Washington State to a pair of NCAA tournament berths -- including a Sweet 16 appearance -- in his three seasons in Pullman. It took him a little while to get acclimated in Charlottesville, but he swept the ACC regular-season and tournament titles last season and has the unbeaten Cavs as the No. 3 team in the land right now.

2. Melo Trimble, Maryland Terrapins

Somehow, Maryland’s freshman point guard gets lost among the other elite frosh. Yet he’s probably just as important -- if not more so -- to his team’s success as any of them. Trimble has been the Terps' savior of sorts after Seth Allen and Roddy Peters both left College Park this past offseason. Trimble leads the team in scoring and has gotten to the free throw line an amazing 121 times in his first 15 games -- for a Terps team that is 14-1.

3. Quinn Cook’s ego, Duke Blue Devils

He’s completely bought into his role playing off the ball after being the full-time point guard the past couple of years -- and not only is he thriving, but Duke also has been terrific. The 6-foot-2 senior is averaging career-highs in scoring (14.5) and he has been far more efficient shooting the ball than at any point in his career. However, the biggest factor has been his willingness to play off the ball and allow Tyus Jones to run the team without causing any internal issues.

4. Larry Krystkowiak, Utah Utes

He’s completely rebuilt the Utah program, and he’s done it with evaluation and development. He took Delon Wright out of the junior college ranks, got Jakob Poeltl from overseas and also took in-state standout Jordan Loveridge. Larry K doesn’t get the respect nationally, but he’s got the Utes back on the map after the program was 6-25 in his first season.

5. Monte Morris, Iowa State Cyclones

Iowa State’s sophomore point guard had an amazing 134 assists and just 28 turnovers as a freshman a year ago, which led the nation with a 4.79-1 assist-turnover ratio. There was no way Morris could duplicate that kind of assist-turnover ratio, but he has done it with an even better 5.7-1 ratio (63 assists, 11 turnovers), which ranks No. 1 in the country again.

6. Jerian Grant, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Notre Dame’s senior combo guard does everything for the Irish and is arguably the best backcourt player in the country on a team that is ranked in the top 15. Grant leads Notre Dame in scoring (17.9) and assists (6.2) and has an incredible 93 assists to just 24 turnovers.

7. Nonconference scheduling

It can eat you up (i.e. Florida) or it can set you up, as is the case for VCU. The Rams have lost three games in the nonleague slate (home to Virginia, neutral vs. Villanova and at Old Dominion), but they are in great shape entering A-10 play because they have 10 wins and none have come against a team below 200 in the RPI and just one of their victories came against a team below 200 in KenPom. VCU is currently ranked fifth in the country in the RPI and 14th in KenPom.

8. Players

Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Jim Boeheim are locks for the Hall of Fame. John Beilein is one of the best in the game. While we put so much on the coaches because they are the face of their respective programs, it’s all about the players and it comes down to recruiting and attrition. Michigan State, Florida, Syracuse and Michigan are all struggling right now because they don't have enough talent, plain and simple.

9. Pure point guards

They are seemingly headed for extinction because kids want to be Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose nowadays, but I'd much rather have someone who looks to get his teammates easy shots before looking at getting his own -- guys such as Tyus Jones (Duke), Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga), T.J. McConnell (Arizona), Fred VanVleet (Wichita State), Tyler Ulis (Kentucky) and Kenneth "Speedy" Smith (Louisiana Tech).

10. Old Dominion

Jeff Jones’ Monarchs are one of the few mid-major teams that have put themselves in position to earn an at-large berth depending, of course, on what they do in C-USA play. However, ODU has wins over VCU, LSU and Georgia State and the Monarchs opened the league with a road victory over Charlotte. Trey Freeman is the only one on the team averaging in double-figures, but this team defends and has experience: All five of the team’s top scorers are in at least their third season of college.

Overrated

1. Ohio State Buckeyes

I know the Buckeyes took care of Illinois, but I’m still not a believer in this team going deep in the tournament. They don’t have enough offensive weapons around freshman D’Angelo Russell, and the zone defense hasn’t been overly effective -- at least not against quality opponents. Ohio State has beaten just two top-100 teams -- Illinois and Marquette -- ands both of those wins came in Columbus.

2. Big East

There were minimal expectations entering the season, but now everyone is touting the league as one of the elite after a strong nonleague performance. However, I’m still not buying that it’s one of the top three leagues in the country. I just don’t see anyone in the league with the potential to go deep in the tournament besides Villanova.

3. Fred VanVleet's All-American candidacy

Listen, I’m a HUGE fan of Wichita State’s point guard. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a very good player. But there are plenty who put him as a preseason first-team All-American. He’s just not that. VanVleet has more on his shoulders this season with Cleanthony Early in the NBA and he’s struggling, shooting just 38 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3-point range.

4. Andy Enfield, USC Trojans

When he made that Sweet 16 run at Florida Gulf Coast, there were some (yes, I’m looking at my former co-worker Gary Parrish) ready to put him in the Hall of Fame. OK, so I’m exaggerating a bit, but people were gushing over Enfield. I know he took over a rebuilding gig, but USC has talent and the Trojans have been brutal in Year 2 of the Enfield regime. They are 8-6 this season and Enfield’s Pac-12 mark thus far is a dreadful 2-18.

5. St. John’s Red Storm

I’m not quite sure how Steve Lavin’s Red Storm rose all the way up to No. 15 in the AP rankings last week with its two best wins coming at Syracuse and at home against Minnesota. I have maintained I don’t trust them, and that was clear this past week with losses to Seton Hall and Butler (at home). The team plays with too little discipline for me. They will be up and down all season.

6. Andrew Harrison

I know Kentucky fans aren’t going to love this one, but Harrison has not lived up to the hype he was given coming out of high school -- and his stock continues to dip in the minds of NBA folks. Harrison is shooting 37 percent from the field, 32 percent from beyond the arc and remains erratic with his decision-making. Yes, I am well aware of what Kentucky did in the NCAA tournament with him running the team, and also what the Cats have done this season. However, Andrew Harrison isn’t the primary reason for the team’s success. He’s a good, solid player, but not the star that people built him up to be.

7. Yelling and screaming at kids

I know it’s ingrained in the coaching culture for so many, but I'll give you a few examples of successful coaches who rarely use obscenities when coaching players: Tony Bennett, Fred Hoiberg, John Beilein and former Butler coach Brad Stevens. I'm not saying that’s the way it has to be done, but it can be done effectively in this manner.

8. Contract extensions

Some are legit, but there are many that mean absolutely nothing and are just for show and so that coaches are able to recruit. If you have a year or two left on your contract, other coaching staffs will use it against you in recruiting. It’s truly all about the buyout -- how much it will actually cost the school to make a move with that particular coach. For example, Indiana’s Tom Crean is under contract through 2020 and has a current buyout of $12 million that drops to $7.5 million on July 1.

9. Mountain West

San Diego State is considered the elite team in the league, and the Aztecs just lost to Fresno State. New Mexico is not what it has been, and now Lobos point guard Cullen Neal is done for the season because of injury. UNLV has plenty of talent, but has been incredibly erratic. I’m not sold on Colorado State (which lost to the Lobos) and Boise State just lost arguably its top player for the rest of the season. This could wind up being a two-bid league.

10. Florida’s recruiting class in 2013

Chris Walker and Kasey Hill were both considered top-10 players in the class, but neither has produced like it thus far. Hill is averaging 7.7 points and 4.4 assists in 30-plus minutes while the 6-10 Walker is putting up 6.4 points and 4.1 rebounds in 16 minutes per contest. The bigger issue? Florida has struggled thus far and is just 7-6 entering SEC play.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Tony Romo's real playoff legacy

Win as a team, lose as Tony Romo. That could have been the Dallas Cowboys' playoff mantra over the past decade. Romo was not an innocent bystander during those years, of course, but if he's going to get the bulk of the blame for excruciating postseason defeats, he deserves some of the praise for leading the winning fourth-quarter drive against the Detroit Lions in the wild-card round Sunday.

As fate would have it, shoddy officiating overshadowed this defining sequence for Romo, but even if the Cowboys had lost -- especially if they had lost -- the opportunity was ripe for taking a closer look at Romo's postseason legacy.

Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh planted the seed a night earlier when he declared his quarterback, Joe Flacco, to be the best in the league. It was a coach's postgame hyperbole after Flacco delivered his fifth consecutive stellar postseason performance dating to the Ravens' championship run following the 2012 season.

When you spread a few games across multiple Januaries and then try to form them into career legacies, key details tend to fall by the wayside. Romo was ineffective through most of the Cowboys' victory Sunday, but for the fifth time in five career playoff games, he was facing a defense that was among the NFL's toughest that season on opposing quarterbacks. The reverse has been true for Flacco during his current sensational five-game playoff run.

The point is that the quality of the opposition tends to be overlooked in the postseason, and that important context tells us something about Romo's chances to bring down the Packers this weekend. That is where we kick off my look at 10 takeaways from the wild-card round.

1. It's no wonder Romo's production has fallen off during the postseason.

The Cowboys closed out the regular season with a dominating performance against an historically bad Washington Redskins defense. That Washington defense ranked 288th out of 288 teams since 2006 in Total QBR allowed (75.8), surrendering 35 touchdown passes with only seven interceptions. Imagine the jolt Romo and his teammates must have felt transitioning to face a Detroit defense that ranked fourth in QBR allowed this season and 88th since 2006 (73rd percentile).

This has been the unwritten story of Romo's postseason career. As the chart below shows, every defense Romo has faced in the playoffs ranked between the 71st and 96th percentile in QBR allowed out of all 288 defenses since the 2006 season. For example, the Lions' defense held its regular-season opponents to a 44.0 QBR score on the 100-point scale (50 is average). That ranked in the 72.8 percentile for all defenses since 2006. A strong finish for Romo against the Lions pumped up his QBR score from 12.8 through three quarters to 34.7 for the game (that was lower than I would have expected, but in taking a closer look, the six sacks he took were damaging).

Romo previously exceeded expectations for the way he performed in the playoffs against the 2009 Philadelphia Eagles and 2007 New York Giants. Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Jeff Garcia were worse than Romo when facing that 2007 Giants team in the postseason.

Defenses Tony Romo Has Faced In Playoffs, 2006-14
Defense QBR allowed Percentile since 2006 Romo QBR
'14 Lions 44.0 72.8 34.7 (W)
'09 Vikings 43.0 74.9 17.1 (L)
'09 Eagles 34.0 95.1 73.6 (W)
'07 Giants 36.1 90.9 55.3 (L)
'06 Seahawks 44.4 71.1 50.0 (L)
All 40.0 N/A 46.7

Postseason life might not get much easier against Green Bay in the divisional round. The Packers' defense held opposing quarterbacks to a 45.5 QBR score in 2014. That ranked sixth in the NFL this season and in the 67.9 percentile for all defenses since 2006. However, some of the best quarterbacks the Packers faced put up good numbers against them. Brady, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson combined for 11 touchdown passes with one interception and a cumulative 86.3 QBR score against Green Bay during the regular season. Those quarterbacks went just 2-2 in those games, however, and both opponent victories were away from Lambeau Field.

Romo has not been a great postseason performer, obviously, but quarterbacks can't pick their opponents for the postseason. If they could, they wouldn't pick the opponents Romo has had to face.

2. It's no wonder Joe Flacco's production in the postseason has spiked recently.

Flacco has 13 touchdown passes with no interceptions during his current five-game playoff winning streak. That is outstanding no matter the opposition, but it could be misleading to think Flacco has suddenly figured out how to dominate when it counts. How you play can be a function of whom you play.

Flacco has played eight postseason games against defenses that ranked in the 53rd percentile or worse in QBR allowed since 2006. His six other playoff games were against defenses that ranked in the 61st percentile or better. His numbers against the lesser defenses are outstanding: 12 TDs, three INTs, a 100.2 passer rating and 74.8 QBR score. His numbers against the better defenses were not as good: nine TDs, five picks, a 77.2 passer rating and 39.6 QBR score.

Did Flacco change on his own, or is it more likely his production changed based on the defenses he was facing? Note that the Ravens managed to go 4-2 in the games against teams with tougher defenses largely because their own defense played exceptionally well overall against those opponents, compensating for offensive shortcomings. We can see that in the final two rows of the chart below.

The Pittsburgh defense Flacco solved Saturday in the wild-card round ranked in the 16.7 percentile for QBR allowed since 2006. The New England defense he'll face in the divisional round ranks in the 47.7 percentile.

Flacco did fare well in playoff games against the 2012 Denver Broncos (99.0 percentile), 2008 Tennessee Titans (94.4 percentile) and 2010 Kansas City Chiefs (86.4 percentile). I was a little surprised to learn that the 2012 San Francisco defense Flacco beat in the Super Bowl ranked down in the 53rd percentile, but then I discovered that Wilson, Eli Manning, Christian Ponder and Sam Bradford combined for nine TDs with just one INT in six games against the 49ers that season. Those QBs were 4-1-1 in those games.

Flacco In Career Playoff Games
QBR defense quality 0-50 percentile 60-100 percentile
W-L 6-2 4-2
Comp.-Att. 115-192 110-210
Pct. 59.9 52.4
Yards 1,563 1,368
Yards/att. 8.1 6.5
TD-INT 12-3 9-5
Passer rating 100.2 77.2
Sacked 10 18
Total QBR 74.8 39.6
Team OFF EPA/game +5.0 -2.7
Team DEF EPA/game -0.9 +11.9
3. A rough weekend for officiating should help promote change.

The NFL sure looks bad after referee Peter Morelli and crew waved off a critical penalty for pass interference against the Cowboys. The Lions' win probability dropped from 78 percent with the flag to 66 percent without it, a huge change with 8:25 remaining in the fourth quarter. Morelli offered no explanation during the game. His postgame comments to pool reporter Todd Archer of ESPN.com were unsatisfying. As colleague Kevin Seifert pointed out, there were as many as four fouls on this play, and the three most obvious ones were against the Cowboys.

Anyone who saw NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino and other revelers leaving the Cowboys' party bus and heading into a Los Angeles nightclub in August could ask whether the league might have done a solid for Jerry Jones, one of its most influential owners. That is impossible to know, but what happened Sunday looked more like incompetence than a sinister plot to enable Dallas at Detroit's expense. As Morelli explained to Archer after the game, head linesman Jerry Bergman overruled back judge Lee Dyer on this particular call because Bergman thought the contact was minimal.

My own take is that Blandino has been pushing the officials' union to bring new blood into the officiating ranks, and that these types of controversies should empower those efforts in the future. This specific play also could lead to the expansion of instant replay to cover pass interference.

When Blandino speaks Monday, as he has promised to do, I hope he explains why Bergman's opinion prevailed. Bergman also was the head linesman who controversially ruled that Giants receiver Victor Cruz was down before fumbling at a critical juncture of a 2010 game against Arizona.

Who are these officials? How do we know they are accountable? Bergman comes from a family of NFL officials, which is another subject for the league to address if Blandino is serious about overhauling the ranks. Multiple sets of brothers and father-son combinations have officiated in the NFL, which could open the league to questions about what role nepotism might play. The league once reprimanded Bergman's father for soliciting autographs from Brett Favre before a 1995 game against Tampa Bay.

The appearance of impropriety can be as damaging as impropriety itself, whether you're an official soliciting autographs or an officiating executive exiting a team's party bus.

4. My long-shot pick for the Super Bowl hasn't died quite yet.

Seahawks over Patriots was my preseason Super Bowl pick, and the odds for that happening have only improved, but when Bill Simmons asked me for long-shot Super Bowl teams during his podcast last week, the Cowboys and Ravens were the ones I singled out. Dallas has a winning formula with its powerful offensive line, capable veteran quarterback, dynamic wide receiver, versatile tight end and workhorse running back. The Ravens have a brilliant scheme that turned Justin Forsett into a 1,200-yard rusher, they have a streaky veteran quarterback and they have multiple elite pass-rushers.

5. Mind-boggling numbers for Super Bowl-winning QBs aren't as mind-boggling as they seemed at first.

Per Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press, Lions coach Jim Caldwell noted before the playoffs that the past five Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks combined for 40 TD passes with three INTs during their teams' playoff games. That seemed like an astounding ratio, but winning quarterbacks tend to put up impressive numbers. The four winners from the wild-card round combined for seven TDs with one INT. Since 2009, winning playoff quarterbacks have combined for 108 TDs with 24 INTs in 55 games.

6. Perhaps Sean McDermott should be joining fellow defensive coordinators Todd Bowles, Dan Quinn and Teryl Austin on the interview circuit.

McDermott has been the Panthers' defensive coordinator since 2011 and he has interviewed for coaching jobs in past offseasons. His star took a hit this season when Carolina lost top pass-rusher Greg Hardy and its secondary struggled following an offseason of personnel upheaval.

Scouts and coaches who have seen Carolina late in the season have seen a secondary that has become more disciplined and effective. That is one reason the Panthers allowed just 11.8 points per game over the final four regular-season games, second only to Seattle's 8.3-point average over that span.

Even when the Panthers were struggling on defense early in the season, they hit people with bad intentions, such as when Charles Johnson smacked Seattle's Wilson following a scramble. That type of play intensified late in the season. The film has shown defensive players taken to the ground with cut blocks rallying to their feet almost instantly. Mainstays such as Johnson, Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis aren't the only ones rallying. Lesser-known players such as Tre Boston, Dwan Edwards, Kony Ealy and Colin Jones are making effort plays. It reflects well on the players and on the coaches, specifically McDermott.

"These guys play their asses off on defense," one of the coaches familiar with Carolina said. "They are being coached. You could really see it against New Orleans, like they wanted it more."