Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

The deepest Kentucky team in years

My summer began with the LeBron James Skills Academy and didn’t truly end until I landed in Charleston (for a planned vacation with my wife) to the news that Cougars coach Doug Wojcik had been fired.

Along the way, there were countless AAU contests in several locations, and there were drills and games involving some of the top college players in the country. A few days also were spent at the NBA Summer League and, on TV, seeing a glimpse of a new, loaded Kentucky Wildcats team playing down in the Bahamas.

Here are my 10 college basketball takeaways from the summer, starting with that scary Kentucky team.

1. I’ve watched a decent portion of Kentucky’s games down in the Bahamas -- which were aired on ESPNU -- and this Wildcats team is the deepest I’ve seen in the past decade. It’s not just ordinary depth, either -- it’s quality, insane depth. Marcus Lee, who showed glimpses of what he could do in the NCAA tourney last year, may not find his way into the rotation. Derek Willis, who could start for at least 250 teams around the nation, is the seventh big man on the depth chart. Seventh! These guys are currently without two of their top frontline guys due to injury -- junior Willie Cauley-Stein and skilled freshman forward Trey Lyles -- and they still look deep and overwhelming.

I know the competition in two of the three games has been fairly lackluster, but the fact remains that this team doesn’t lack for much (other than a true small forward) and the difference-maker with this group is diminutive freshman point guard Tyler Ulis. Andrew Harrison was erratic with his floor game and did not set up his teammates for easy baskets nearly as often as Ulis, who also will be a pest on the defensive end due to his speed, quickness and toughness.

2. Sam Dekker will make a significant jump this season. He told me recently he's grown an inch and a half over the past year. How's that for an improvement in your career trajectory? Still, a growth spurt isn't the only reason I'm bullish on Dekker this fall. He seems to have gained a ton of confidence as well. The Badgers forward hasn’t always played as though he knew he was the best player on the court, but after a stellar showing at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Las Vegas -- in which he also fared well going up against James himself -- Dekker shouldn’t be lacking for confidence this season. Look for him to establish himself as the go-to guy (as much as can be the case in Bo Ryan’s offense) with the game on the line.

Wisconsin only lost Ben Brust from a team that fell to Kentucky on a last-second shot in the national semifinals a year ago. The Wildcats should be better this season with a new and improved Dekker playing alongside a veteran group that includes senior starters Frank Kaminsky, Josh Gasser and Traevon Jackson.

3. Iowa State Cyclones forward Georges Niang will become the most likable player in college basketball for fans, media and even among coaches. Even coaching staffs of Big 12 foes rave about him -- both his on-court skills and his intangibles. Niang has reshaped his body, even after suffering a broken foot that shelved him in the NCAA tournament, and now looks like a player capable of carrying a Big 12 team deep into the postseason. Niang is admittedly not the most athletic guy, but he knew with the departure of Melvin Ejim and DeAndre Kane, he would need more quickness and explosiveness to go along with his "old man game." As such, he plays with intelligence, passion and gets the most out of his natural ability.

4. Look for Oregon State to be relevant sooner rather than later. New coach Wayne Tinkle and assistant Stevie Thompson (the former Syracuse high-flier) both have sons that are legitimate top-100 players, and both fared well out in Vegas at the LeBron James Skills Academy. Tres Tinkle is a 6-foot-7½ skilled wing while Stevie Thompson Jr. is a 6-3½ skilled guard who isn't quite as athletic as his old man, but still an above-average athlete. If the two coaches can convince their kids to play for them in Corvallis, the Beavers will start to build a strong, youthful foundation.

5. Doug McDermott is the ideal fit for the Chicago Bulls -- and he’ll be more than just a spot-up shooter. Sure, he’s not the most athletic guy in the NBA. But he’s so cerebral and has such a wide array of offensive moves that he’ll be able to score in more avenues that people think. He certainly looked the part in the summer league in Vegas, with many feeling as though he was the best player in the 10-day event. McDermott can knock down shots, but he’ll do more -- especially with guys like Derrick Rose, Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol on the court at the same time.

6. The July period continues to lose its luster. Sure, the Nike EYBL and the Adidas Gauntlet have improved the quality of the play to some degree. Kids now have something at stake beyond just getting their numbers and racking up scholarship offers. However, there’s no sizzle anymore. Part of it left when Sonny Vaccaro retired. He was a master salesman who somehow promoted the hell out of matchups such as Sebastian Telfair vs. Darius Washington Jr. Now, there is no one to set up and promote big-time matchups. The other factor is that the talent is spread out and splintered throughout too many events.

7. Nike is still Goliath, but Under Armour has caught -- and even surpassed -- Adidas on the grassroots circuit in terms of talent. Many coaches reiterated what I saw in July, which was that the talent for Adidas was as underwhelming as it has been in a while. Under Armour has built up its stable quickly, and while it won't ever challenge Nike, it looks as though it's primed to move and remain in the No. 2 spot behind the shoe giant. Coaches were raving about the Under Armour event down in Atlanta.

8. This fairly new recruiting schedule in which there are three consecutive sessions that begin on Wednesday at 5 p.m. and end Sunday at 5 p.m. needs to be tweaked. The NCAA should alter it to a pair of four-day sessions and then add in a couple of weekends in May and June to go along with the one in April. The third and final weekend in July is virtually useless, as the kids and coaches are all worn out. Spacing it out would allow the kids to get excited about each period, and also make it easier for the coaches from a travel standpoint.

9. Charleston is one of the best vacation spots in the country -- even if you land and find out that the head coach in town has been fired. Seriously, though, it has tremendous restaurants (I gained about 10 pounds in five days and was able to convince myself that banana pudding is a side and not a dessert), great music, quality shopping (at least that's what my wife and her credit cards tell me) and the ocean water is about 10 degrees warmer than it is in the Northeast.

Notes on up-and-coming talent

10. The Class of 2016 is the best I’ve seen in a while -- even better than the Class of 2013, which included Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle. It’s so loaded at the top that ultra-skilled 6-9 power forward Harry Giles may be only the fifth-best player in the country, behind Thon Maker, Josh Jackson, Jayson Tatum and Malik Monk. All of these guys have incredible upside to be stars in college and the NBA.

Maker is a skilled and versatile 7-footer, Jackson is a long and athletic wing, Tatum is a long, skilled, smart and versatile wing and Monk is a 6-4 2-guard who can get to the basket virtually whenever he wants. Giles is still working his way back to 100 percent after missing all of last season because of a major knee injury. As mediocre as the top of the Class of 2015 is, that’s how special the elite players in the Class of 2016 have a chance to be. Memo to NBA general managers: Start negotiating trades for first-round picks in 2017 draft now.

11. The disparity between the No. 1 player and the No. 25 player in the Class of 2015 is as minimal as I've seen in a decade, meaning there should be more parity next season in college basketball when this class arrives on campus(es). I’m a big fan of Ben Simmons (my pick for the No. 1 player) and his versatile and unselfish game, but there’s just not as much of difference as is normally the case between the talented Aussie and, say, players such as Luke Kennard or Isaiah Briscoe.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Ranking NBA's top backcourts

It's the dog days of summer, a time for reflection of what transpired and conjecture of what will occur in the NBA. It's also a time for proclamations both wild and inane, whether it's James Harden declaring that he's the best player in the NBA, or Stephen Curry opining that he and Klay Thompson would make the best duo in the '90s arcade game NBA Jam.

So without further ado, we're going to combine the premise of both statements and rank the best backcourts in the NBA.

i
1. Los Angeles Clippers (Chris Paul and J.J. Redikk)

Congrats, Steve Ballmer, that $2 billion price tag comes with some cool features, namely the most well-rounded backcourt in the NBA. Once again, Chris Paul ranks as Bradford Doolittle's top point guard in the NBA, but in case you've been living under a rock, he's this generation's model of how to play point: excellent distributor, controller of game tempo, terrific penetration and finishing skills, deadly pull-up game, outstanding vision, elite IQ, vicious on-ball defense, clutch-time heroics, etc.

His counterpart, Redikk, is no star in the conventional sense, but his elite shooting from all areas of the floor, undervalued ability to run secondary pick-and-roll and either score or distribute, and underrated defensive proficiency (particularly within team schemes) make him the perfect complement to Paul.

i
2. Golden State Warriors (Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson)

Think of the Warriors as a poor man's version of the Clippers' backcourt: Curry, while a much superior individual scoring talent (he might be the best shooter in the history of the NBA when it's all said and done), lacks Paul's ability to mitigate risk while chasing reward; in other words, Curry's passing vision is often let down by his passing inaccuracy, leading to an above-average turnover rate. Furthermore, his individual defense leaves a lot to be desired even though he's expressed a desire recently to take on a larger role on that end of the floor. (It always amuses me when players directly or indirectly blame their defensive deficiency on the demands of the former coach of the team.)

Meanwhile, Thompson has developed into one of the premier catch-and-shoot threats in the league, and his size gives you some versatility offensively as far as different play situations he can be utilized in, but he's not really capable of creating off the dribble beyond a beat or two. Defensively, he's got an ability to focus in and use his length and anticipation to guard 1s, 2s, and 3s in one-on-one situations and active off-ball plays (i.e. locking and trailing off screens), but he has a penchant for losing his man if he's not the primary option.

i
3. Washington Wizards (John Wall and Bradley Beal)

The Wizards' backcourt has the highest ceiling on this list; if it fulfills its full potential, it'll be the best backcourt in the league. As of today, however, it remains an unfinished product. Wall took large strides last year: He played 82 games for the first time in his career and vastly improved his 3-point shot from terrible (27 percent in 2012-13) to respectable (35 percent in 2013-14). He's also continued to perform well on the defensive end, where his size, length and top-shelf athleticism afford him all the tools to guard a variety of players. However, he's still learning how to play at different speeds, and his shot selection leaves a lot to be desired (he took more long 2s than any other type of field goal attempt and shot a miserable 37 percent from that range).

Beal has the potential to be the best shooting guard in the NBA: He's an excellent 3-point shooter, can create off the dribble and can be a tremendous on-ball defender at times. Still, he suffers from the same curious affliction that ails Wall that leads him to awful shot selection: Despite being a better-than 40 percent 3-point shooter, he took more long 2s than any other FGA type and shot a worse raw percentage: 37.

Because of their collective youth (Wall is 23 and Beal is 21), the Wizards' backcourt have a longer career arc to follow and have the most to gain via development.

i
4. Phoenix Suns (Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe)

The unconventional union of two point guards in a starting backcourt was met with skepticism last summer; much of that perception is colored by the influence of football, where a team with two starting-caliber quarterbacks is labeled a "controversy." For the Suns, the marriage worked splendidly (in the time both Dragic and Bledsoe were healthy) for several reasons:

• Both players had had extensive time prior to 2013-14 playing off-ball alongside another point guard: Dragic with Steve Nash in Phoenix and then Kyle Lowry in Houston, and Bledsoe with Paul in Los Angeles and Wall at Kentucky. That prior experience made playing alongside each other a lot more natural.

• Both players are above-average defenders who, because of their previous time playing off-ball, were accustomed to guarding larger players (shooting guards) for stints.

• The simplicity of the Suns' playbook allowed each player to not overthink positioning when off ball.

The brevity of their time together (they appeared in just 38 games together) takes them down some in these rankings, but the bigger demerit is the impending issues of the upcoming season. Bledsoe remains unsigned and at this point appears to be headed to a deal that is not to his liking (whether it's the Suns' four-year, $48 million deal or the qualifying offer). Combined with the offseason addition of Isaiah Thomas (another starting-caliber point guard) and the loss of Channing Frye (whose gravity as a shooter provided much of the spacing needed for the two-PG dribble drive offense), and it's very likely the Suns will not recapture the magic of last season.

i
5. Chicago Bulls (Derrick Rose and Jimmy Butler)

I can't wait for the hate mail on this one. "How could you put the Bulls so low? Why do you hate Chicago?" Rest easy, Bulls fans, I have nothing but love for the city of Chicago. However, despite the rave reviews with Team USA, I retain a certain amount of skepticism as it pertains to Rose. After missing the better part of two years with serious knee injuries, it's only fair to evaluate him with some reservations. He'll have to show he's still capable of physically (and mentally) bouncing back from the setbacks, shaking off the rust of inactivity, and re-assimilating himself into a Bulls offense that looked extremely stagnant in the short time Rose was healthy last season, as teammates were often caught ballwatching when Rose had the ball.

Assuming the most optimistic results of Rose's comeback, the Bulls' backcourt still is somewhat weighed down by Butler, who is a fine player and a perfect complement for Rose as an oversized guard-forward and elite defender. Although Butler's the best defensive talent on this list, he's the worst offensive talent by far. After a solid 2012-13, Butler withered somewhat under the stress of having to assume a larger role on the offensive end, and his shooting efficiency suffered tremendously. The hope is that a Bulls roster that is restocked with offensive talent can reduce Butler's offensive burden back to a level he's comfortable with.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Projecting top 10 SFs for 2014-15

When it comes to classifying players by position, the guys who present the most trouble are the elite players such as Kevin Durant, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony.

What position does James play anyway? The past two seasons, he has spent the bulk of his time playing power forward in Miami, just as Carmelo has done in New York. Now, James and Anthony have slimmed down considerably to gear up for their respective new environments. James is headed back to Cleveland, where he joins a roster with plenty of traditional big men, while Anthony is prepping for his role in New York's new triangle offense. The guys you're used to defining as small forwards are indeed classified as small forwards, while we await the next evolutionary turn in NBA lineup usage.

Below we continue our NBA positional ranking according to forecast WARP, with the projected top 10 small forwards for the 2014-15 NBA season. (An explanation of the statistic can be found at the bottom of the page.)

James

1. LeBron James, Cleveland Cavaliers
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 20.0 | Win%: 75 percent

It takes more than one season to usurp the King. Last season, Durant led the NBA in WARP ahead of -- gasp -- James, who had finished first in each of the five previous seasons. James might have finished in the No. 2 slot, but it was the 10th straight season he has finished first or second. That, simply put, is amazing. His scoring efficiency and volume were right on target, but his rebounding, steals and blocks were all down. This shift was reflected in RPM, where he was as lofty as ever on offense (plus-8.7, his highest with the Heat), but dipped below average on defense (minus-0.8). It's the type of "off season" almost any player in history would kill to have.

Durant

2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 17.1 | Win%: 69 percent

After leading the league in WARP for the first time and ending James' reign as league MVP, there is but one box left unchecked on Durant's résumé: an NBA title. During the regular season, Durant was as good as ever, posting the best winning percentage and WARP of his career on the strength of ever-sharpening passing skills. Consider this: Durant's assist rate was exactly the same in each of his first three seasons, at 3.2 percent. It has been on the climb since, and last season was double his 2012-13 rate (6.4 percent). He did this while cutting his turnover rate from the previous two seasons. Durant is one of the most valuable players in the game, and he's just entering his prime.

Anthony
3. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 10.4 | Win%: 59 percent

It can't be written often enough that Anthony has gotten a whole lot better as a Knick. Indeed, he's never been better, and is now a top-10 player by the numbers, not just reputation. Last season's 14.2 WARP was 3.2 more than he's had in any of his 10 other NBA seasons, and ninth in the league. His RPM (plus-3.8) was also a career best, so his impact shined through to the team level. Now, at the age of 30, Anthony will be playing in a system that might enhance his efficiency even more, and could heighten his profile as a passer as well.

Hayward
4. Gordon Hayward, Utah Jazz
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 10.3 | Win%: 59 percent

Not every young player gets a chance to see what it's like to become the focus of his team's offense, but that's what happened for Hayward last season. His career-best WARP was based more on volume than efficiency. As the Jazz improve, you'd expect Hayward's usage rate to ebb a little, but even if it doesn't, his 3-point percentage should be better than last season's 30.4 mark, and that in itself will boost his profile. His abilities were recognized by a restricted free agent market that paid him well over the summer.

Batum
5. Nicolas Batum, Portland Trail Blazers
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 9.6 | Win%: 57 percent

Maybe it has something to do with being French, but consider Batum, Joakim Noah and Boris Diaw. All three provide immense value to their respective teams, and all three do it with a full-fledged skill set that does not feature a prolific scoring arsenal. Batum had an 8.7 WARP (29th in the league), even though his usage rate (16.5 percent) fell to its lowest level since his rookie season. His true shooting percentage ballooned thanks to the increased selectivity, and he was never better as a passer or rebounder. He's just entering his prime, and there is time to work out the rough edges.

Antetokounmpo
6. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks

Projected 2014-15 WARP: 8.8 | Win%: 58 percent

The system sees Antetokounmpo as a likely contender for the league's most improved player, a statistical observation that one could also have made by watching how his game blossomed over the summer. The chief aspect of his profile that stands out is his positive offensive RPM, which combined with his 3-point shooting, burgeoning floor game, size and tender age mark him as a standout prospect. Can he really go from replacement level to 8.8 WARP? The best players make the leap at a young age. This could be the time for Antetokounmpo.

Iguodala
7. Andre Iguodala, Golden State Warriors

Projected 2014-15 WARP: 8.62 | Win%: 58 percent

Iguodala actually had the worst season of his career in his first one with the Warriors, though that might have been by design. Iguodala's projection in this methodology (8.6 WARP) is much rosier than he looks by our usual WARP formula (3.5). Iguodala's offensive role shrunk considerably in Golden State, but it was all in service of winning. His plus-6.7 RPM was one of the league's best, and his defensive RPM of plus-4.6 marked him as a true superstar on that end. RPM was made to recognize the talents of players like Iguodala.

Leonard
8. Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio Spurs

Projected 2014-15 WARP: 8.59 | Win%: 59 percent

Leonard continued to grow across the board last season by hitting new highs in volume and efficiency, while providing an elite-level contribution at the defensive end. His WARP (8.4) put him in the 93rd percentile, and you still get the feeling he's capable of so much more. Gregg Popovich has said Leonard will be the new face of the Spurs, and who can doubt him? Leonard was a standout performer in the regular season, raised his game during the playoffs and was a big reason San Antonio won another championship. And when the regular season ended, he was still not yet 23. Wow.

Parsons
9. Chandler Parsons, Dallas Mavericks
Projected 2014-15 WARP: 6.9 | Win%: 53 percent

Parsons has been a very good player during the first three seasons of his professional career, but his WARP over that period slots him in the 83rd percentile of all players. No shame in that, but it's not at the level to justify the dollars he got on the restricted market this summer from Dallas. He seems like an ideal role player, but he's now getting paid to be more than that. However, if Parsons can be deployed in a way to provide All-Star production, Rick Carlisle will figure it out.

Gay
10. Rudy Gay, Sacramento Kings

Projected 2014-15 WARP: 6.7 | Win%: 53 percent

There was a stark difference between Gay as a Grizzly (good), and Gay as a Raptor (bad). As a King, Gay settled into more of a middle ground, and he was an effective player on both ends of the court for Sacramento. On a high-functioning team, Gay probably wouldn't have a usage rate over 27 percent, but if he continues to attack the basket like he did last year, he'll be a talent the Kings can work with.

Next five: Trevor Ariza, DeMarre Carroll, Draymond Green, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Danilo Gallinari

Carroll was quietly one of the league's most improved players. Kidd-Gilchrist is still young, raw and far short of his ceiling, but he's already providing positive value on the defensive end.

Also notable: Luol Deng, Kyle Korver, Paul Pierce, Paul George

George's injury takes him out of the rankings, but his projected winning percentage (.605) would slot him third, behind Durant and in front of Anthony.

Rankings methodology
The annual offseason position rankings offer a snapshot of the top players in the league by base position, according to the forecast quantity and quality of performance for the coming season. Players are ranked by wins above replacement player (WARP), an estimate of the number of wins a player adds to a team's bottom line above what would be expected of any easily acquired talent from outside the NBA. Players are measured for usage and efficiency on both ends of the floor, and these ratings are converted to an individual winning percentage. From there, WARP is calculated based on the player's winning percentage and forecast playing time for the coming season. Playing-time projections are based on recent seasons, health and role on the player's current team. Players are assigned a position according to where they appeared most often in their most recent NBA season, though subjective adjustments have been made for some players based on anticipated usage in 2014-15.

The underlying methodology of calculating the player efficiencies used in these rankings has changed since last year and now relies on real plus-minus methodology, with adjustments. Each player's offensive and defensive RPM is converted to efficiency ratings for each end of the floor. Those ratings are then evaluated for "direct" and "indirect" impact. Direct impact is composed of points scored and possessions used, as calculated from traditional box scores. Indirect impact uses RPM to evaluate how a player affects the possessions finished by his teammates while he's on the floor. RPM has been split in this manner for a couple of reasons. First, indirect impact has a higher season-to-season correlation and is less affected by player aging patterns. Also, splitting direct impact and indirect impact is useful for projecting how players will perform in new environments and in calculating team projections. For first-year NBA players, their SCHOENE projection is used as their WARP projection in these rankings.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Under Armour Elite 24: Exciting matchups

NEW YORK -- The Under Armour Elite 24 game is loaded with ESPN Recruiting Nation ranked players from the classes of 2015, 2016 and 2017 and can be seen at 7 p.m. ET Saturday on ESPNU live from Pier 2 of Brooklyn Bridge Park. Let's take a look at five matchups that we are most excited to see.

POINT GUARDS

ESPN 100 No. 62 Jawun Evans 6-foot, 180 (Dallas, Texas/Justin F. Kimball) vs. ESPN 60 No. 9 Dennis Smith Jr. 6-1, 173 (Fayetteville, N.C./Trinity Christian School): In this all-important lead guard matchup, it will exciting to see who will run their team, push the ball and set the tone. Evans -- a great finisher for his size -- has blinding speed and quickness and can get teammates involved. Smith beats defenders off the bounce with ease and is a playmaker for himself or teammates. He is a highlight finisher on the break who can simply put the defense on its heels and create help situations all over the offensive end of the floor.

SHOOTING GUARDS

ESPN 100 No. 16 Antonio Blakeney 6-4, 170 (Orlando, Fla./Oakridge) vs. ESPN 100 No. 3 Malik Newman 6-3, 175 (Jackson, Miss./Callaway): Blakeney and Newman are high-level jump shooters who play with great offensive confidence. Newman can also help run the show at the point. It will be interesting to see who gets off to the better start scoring and who steps up and competes the best on the defensive end. Expect deep jumpers, pull-ups, floaters and above-the-rim finishes from these two scoring machines, who should go right at each other from the tip.

SMALL FORWARDS

ESPN 100 No. 8 Jaylen Brown 6-7, 220 (Alpharetta, Ga./Wheeler) vs. ESPN 60 No. 2 Josh Jackson 6-6, 184 (Southfield, Mich./Prolific Prep): This matchup features tremendous athleticism. Brown is always in attack mode off the bounce, where he is a powerful finisher and a quick-first-step slasher. He is a master of drawing fouls as he welcomes contact at the rim. Jackson is a rim attacker as well who excels on the break and is an excellent offensive rebounder and tip-dunk threat. It will be fun to watch these two tough and physical wings bang bodies as they try to gain the upper hand. Also, expect a huge momentum-changing dunk from one if not both of these tremendously talented players to give their team a quick boost.

POWER FORWARDS

ESPN 100 No. 1 Ivan Rabb 6-11, 210 (Oakland, Calif./Bishop O'Dowd) vs. ESPN 60 No. 5 Harry Giles 6-9, 215 (Winston-Salem, N.C./Wesleyan Christian Academy): These two have great motors, tremendous athleticism and fast evolving skill. Both attack the glass on both ends of the floor. Rabb's ability to run the floor, finish, block shots and defend on a consistent basis is special. Giles, who is coming along nicely after major knee surgery, is a tip-dunk threat on the offensive glass, and he can finish on the break or in the lane with excellent touch. It will be fun to watch these two hybrid forwards push each other on both ends of the floor while making jaw-dropping plays.

CENTERS

ESPN 100 No. 6 Stephen Zimmerman 7-0, 230 (Las Vegas, Nev./Bishop Gorman) vs. ESPN 60 No. 1 Thon Maker 7-0, 210 (Martinsville, Va./Carlisle): It doesn't get much better than watching two very skilled 7-footers face off. Both run the floor extremely well and can finish with flare. Pick-and-pop situations are strengths for both. Zimmerman can score with his back to the basket or facing up with great touch, and he can rebound well in his area. Maker also has the ability to score in a variety of ways with his ability to handle the ball extremely well for his size. Maker also is excellent at making plays along the baseline where he has the touch and body control of a wing player. Both shoot the open three without hesitation and with good accuracy. It will be a treat to watch these two young talents with size display such great offensive versatility.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Big 12 preseason recruiting report card

Currently, 119 athletes in the 2015 class have announced their verbal commitments to play college football in the Big 12. Of those players, 23 are ESPN 300 athletes -- and there’s still plenty of time for the conference to land more of the nation’s best.

i
Look for an uptick in conference recruiting as the fall approaches, but here’s an analysis on how Big 12 teams are looking as of now for the Class of 2015.

Who’s trending up: Even with a new coach who’s yet to win a conference game, Texas is doing an outstanding job with the 2015 class. The Longhorns have seven ESPN 300 commits and 14 total commits total. QB Zach Gentry and DB DeShon Elliott lead Texas’ recruiting class.

Who’s trending down: It’s hard to believe that Baylor, the defending Big 12 champion, has had only one pledge since the first day of summer. Don’t expect the Bears to be down for long; look for Baylor to benefit from having a high-octane offense, a rising defense and an enthusiastic coaching staff.

Biggest remaining targets:

Baylor: CB Kendall Sheffield (No. 9 in ESPN 300)

Iowa State: DB Antoine Albert

Kansas: RB Tyreik Gray (No. 229)

Kansas State: RB Marquise Doherty

Oklahoma: LB Anthony Wheeler (No. 82)

Oklahoma State: WR Carlos Strickland (No. 151)

TCU: CB Jalen Campbell

Texas: LB Malik Jefferson (No. 39)

Texas Tech: WR Tyron Johnson (No. 24)

West Virginia: CB Jordan Whitehead (No. 138)

Three teams that must improve their class and why: Keep an eye on Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State. With nine commits, Kansas State is tied with Texas Tech for fewest pledges in the conference. Unlike Texas Tech, Kansas State doesn’t have an ESPN 300 commit (Texas Tech has three). A positive: The Wildcats’ three top commits -- OTs Scott Frantz and Evan Applegate and QB Alex Delton -- are in-state athletes. Iowa State has 10 commits, but no ESPN 300 athletes so far. RB Devine Ozigbo is a player to watch, but Paul Rhoads and his staff are hoping for more talent. Kansas has the most commits of the three schools at 13, but the Jayhawks are still looking for that marquee name to use to attract other big-name athletes. Wide receiver Kevin Thomas is Kansas’ top commit, but the program still is looking to land its first four-star athlete of this class.

Three teams that can gain the most this fall. Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Texas each could end the fall with positive stories for their own respective reasons. Oklahoma, still buzzing from its Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama, is expected by many to win the Big 12 championship. Winning, as most coaches know, assists in recruiting for the immediate future and for classes to come. As for Texas Tech, Kliff Kingsbury and his staff have one of the program’s best classes ever, top to bottom, and a strong 2014 season could add a few more big names. Can you imagine ESPN 300 QB commit Jarrett Stidham throwing to an ESPN 300 receiver considering the Red Raiders in Tyron Johnson? For Texas, it’s cut and dried: Win games, take the heat off Charlie Strong and see if his program can outrecruit in-state rivals Texas A&M and Baylor. A strong 2014 season would help pull top players and keep Texas’ recruiting reputation sturdy.

One big prediction: Oklahoma State will have a similar recruiting finish to its in-state rival. It seems each year, Oklahoma State starts slow and finishes strong in recruiting. The Cowboys currently have 10 commits, including RB Ronald Jones II, QB John Kolar and CB Jaylon Lane, all ESPN 300 athletes. Don’t be surprised if that number rockets toward the end of the recruiting season after Mike Gundy’s squad showcases its high-scoring offense.