Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

5-on-5: Who's No. 1? Overrated?

1. Who else besides Andrew Wiggins could be the No. 1 overall pick?

Ford: If Wiggins can't live up to the hype, I think there are three players who could easily justify being taken that high. The most obvious choice is Julius Randle. The Kentucky phenom has all of the tools to be an elite NBA big man. Dante Exum and Marcus Smart also could snag the top spot if the team that wins the lottery is in desperate need of a point guard.
Jeff Goodman: Why Julius Randle could be No. 1, not Andrew Wiggins. Read

Biancardi: Randle. He has the unique combination of power, size and explosion to go with his skill to score and tenacity on the glass. In a power forward's body, Randle possesses scoring ability not only in the paint but also at the elbows. Reports out of Lexington has Randle making 3-point shots comfortably during workouts.
Goodman: Indeed, it's no lock Wiggins will be taken with the first pick. Two other freshmen have a chance -- Randle and Duke's skilled forward, Jabari Parker.
Elhassan: It would have to take a set of extraordinary circumstances for Wiggins to fall past the first pick, but if he did, I think Parker would be the best bet to supplant him. Like Wiggins, Parker also is the son of a former NBA player, and he brings excellent feel, basketball IQ and skill to the table. The concerns for Parker will be his position (he's a tweener) and improving his body.
Pelton: I think both Randle and Exum could be in the mix. While Wiggins has far more hype, the recent track record of No. 1 prep prospects (Harrison Barnes, Shabazz Muhammad, even Andre Drummond to an extent) in college is decidedly mixed, and Wiggins still needs to prove his ability against NCAA competition.
2. Did Marcus Smart make the right decision to return to school?

Ford: Sure he did. He understood the risks. But he wanted to improve his game and believed another season at Oklahoma State would give him more chances to hone his point guard skills. He might slip a few spots in the draft because of his decision (NBA scouts often pick you apart in Year 2), but as David Thorpe is always reminding us, it's the second contract that matters in the NBA, not the first one.
Biancardi: Emotionally, it was the right decision because his heart and mind were still in the college game and he felt a need to accomplish more. Financially, there is a question because he might have been a top-3 pick in the 2013 draft. Some guys just want to get drafted and collect a paycheck; Smart wants to be ready for the NBA. He made the right choice for him based on his values.
Goodman: Absolutely. He won't go as high in 2014 as he would have in 2013, but he'll be far more prepared to come in and be a starting NBA point guard. He still needs another year to work on his decision-making and could also use the season to become a better perimeter shooter.
Elhassan: I've always been an advocate of players entering the draft early if they have a good chance of going first round; there's nothing to gain from playing another year in college (for free) and much to lose (overexposure, injury, etc.). In Smart's case, it's extremely difficult to argue that he'd go higher this year (in a stacked draft) than he would have last year.
Pelton: If we define the "right choice" as trying to get drafted as early as possible, then no. He would have had an excellent chance of going No. 2 overall to Orlando in 2013, and I think it's unlikely he goes in the top three this year. But there's more to the right choice than that, and if Smart wanted another year in college before turning pro, I can't blame him.
3. If Dante Exum plays in college, does it affect his draft status?

Ford: His draft stock is so high right now, Exum takes a huge risk by playing in college -- especially if he decides to join a team midseason. Right now, after his stellar play for Team Canada in the under-19s, he looks like a lock as a top-5 pick. But if he struggled in college, his ranking could just as easily plummet.
Biancardi: After watching him play and work out at the Nike Hoop Summit, I see a player who possesses all of the attributes of an NBA 2 or 3 featuring a 6-foot-9 wingspan. He is playing his high school basketball in Australia and will be finished in December, so he could arrive on a college campus shortly thereafter. But I think there are too many question marks along with a learning curve to play on a new team, and with a new coach. It could expose some of those unknowns.
Goodman: Sometimes less exposure is better, and that's the case right now with Exum. His draft stock has soared this past offseason and going to college could help, but it's more likely that it would hurt his draft status, because it's hard to rise from where he is, and far easier to drop.
Elhassan: Playing collegiately would likely be a low reward-high risk scenario. If he plays well against the similar athleticism of domestic competition, he can move only marginally higher. If he doesn't play well, his stock drops. Skipping college keeps up the allure, much like it did for Enes Kanter in 2011.
Pelton: There's probably not much downside because of the circumstances. He'd be joining a team midseason and trying to learn both the American game and the NCAA on the fly, so it would be easy to explain if he struggled. If he played well anyways, he could boost his stock.
4. Who could rise significantly in the ranks?

Ford: I will be watching two Kansas freshmen closely -- Joel Embiid and Wayne Selden. Scouts went crazy for Selden this summer. If he shoots well and plays with some discipline, he could move into the top 10. Embiid? He looked really raw this summer, but he's the only legit center in our top 10. If he's playing well in March -- Rick Pitino might be right -- he has the talent to be the No. 2 pick in the draft.
Biancardi: Watching Jerami Grant since high school, I've seen a guy who has added something to his game and changed his body. At Syracuse he improved his inside scoring and at the high post while remaining a consistent rebounder. Length, athletic ability and improving skill along with good genes will have him rise in the draft. His dad, Harvey, was the 12th pick in the NBA draft in 1988 and his uncle, Horace, was the 10th picked in 1987.
Goodman: I'm going with a few guys here: Semaj Christon of Xavier is one of the best point guards in the country; Duke's Rodney Hood is a long and skilled wing who transferred from Mississippi State; and Missouri's Jordan Clarkson is a scoring point guard who transferred from Tulsa.
Elhassan: Doug McDermott. He's been one of the premier scorers in college basketball and performed well in the Team USA minicamp this past July. Undoubtedly, some will focus on all of the things he can't do while glossing over things he does very well, like shooting from the perimeter. As the late Cotton Fitzsimmons used to say, "You can never have too many shooters." McDermott's stroke will find him gainful employment.
Pelton: Eric Moreland. Moreland, who plays at Oregon State, isn't currently in Chad's top 60, putting him outside the second round (if everyone declares). He's got first-round talent as a rebounder and shot-blocker, and a solid season could get him to that point. However, Moreland has to stay out of trouble after getting suspended by the school indefinitely during the summer.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
5. Who is the most overrated player right now?

Ford: Mitch McGary. He turned a stellar NCAA tournament showing into some serious draft buzz. But without Trey Burke setting him up for easy dunks and with teams now focusing their defenses on stopping McGary, can he repeat his March Madness performance?
Biancardi: Alex Poythress. He arrived at Kentucky with a college-ready body. He was rated No. 13 by our ESPN Recruiting Nation staff out of high school. But he struggled in his first season, was inconsistent in practice and often disappeared during games. He will be teamed with better players this season, which will help. A breakout season is needed in order to match his reputation.
Goodman: Jarnell Stokes. He's somewhat undersized, not overly skilled and isn't overly athletic. Personally, there's no way I'm taking Stokes in the first round of the draft.
Elhassan: I hate to say it, but Wiggins. Don't get me wrong -- he's by far the most talented prospect in the draft, and as I said earlier, a mortal lock to go No. 1. But sometimes he's spoken of as a franchise savior, the best prospect since LeBron James. I'm not sure he's ready to step in and be awesome immediately, and I think the James comparison shortchanges players like Dwight Howard, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose and Kyrie Irving.
Pelton: James Michael McAdoo, North Carolina. The fact that McAdoo is still even in consideration for the first round is testament to the power of potential, because he hasn't even yet proven he can be effective at the NCAA level, let alone in the NBA.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Rookie Review: Star Lotulelei By Kevin WeidlIn last April’s draft, Dave Gettleman selected Utah DT Star Lotulelei with the No. 14 overall pick as his first draft choice as a the Carolina Panthers' general manager. I saw this as one of the better value picks in the entire 2013 draft. Gettleman showed excellent patience to sit back and allow Lotulelei -- we had him in our top five with our final rankings of the 2013 class -- to fall to them in addition to filling a pressing need.

Last February at the NFL combine, doctors found a heart condition that prevented Lotulelei from working out in Indianapolis. He was later cleared, but this condition likely played a role, along with some concerns scouts had with his inconsistencies in terms of effort throughout various game tapes, in his fall to the middle of the first round.

The Panthers have received a strong early return for Lotulelei. He has started all three games while registering nine tackles and a sack and has made his presence felt on the interior. Lotulelei has been stout defending the run and has created disruption in the backfield while also showing impressive range.

At 6-foot-2 and 315 pounds, Lotulelei’s best trait at Utah was defending the run and showed flashes of dominance in this area on tape. He possessed the ability to anchor as a one- or two-gap defender. Lotulelei also displayed heavy hands and raw power both in his lower and upper body and rarely gave ground at the line of scrimmage.

Lotlulelei did not have ideal production as a pass rusher throughout his career at Utah. However, he did register a career high five sacks as a senior after notching just two during his first two seasons with the Utes. Lotulelei still needs to work on maintaining quality pad level off the ball as a pass-rusher, but he continues to develop in this area. He has displayed the ability to collapse the pocket with a bull rush while also showing quick hands to win in combat. He has also shown flashes of being able to disrupt the passer, which included him notching his first career sack against the Giants on Sunday. Lotulelei also has raw strength to go with his above-average agility. What Lotulelei showed on tape is what warranted comparisons to another interior lineman: Baltimore Ravens DT Haloti Ngata.

Ngata was bigger and was about 25 pounds heavier coming out than Lotulelei. He also had exceptional athleticism. I have had several conversations with Ngata’s former coach at Oregon Mike Bellotti, who has said pound-for-pound Ngata was the best athlete he’s ever coached.

Lotulelei does not have the same type of athleticism, versatility and has a long way to go to even be considered in the same conversation as the Ngata, the two-time first-team All-Pro. However, they shared a lot of similarities coming out of school, which included Ngata following a similar path in 2006 where he remained on the board until the 12th overall pick.

In the 2013 draft, Gettleman, a former New York Giants pro scouting executive, attempted to load up the Panthers' defensive line with the selection of Lotulelei in the first round and DT Kawann Short from Purdue in the second round. Carolina already had one of the better pair of book ends in the NFL in Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson. By adding Lotulelei and Short, Gettleman appears to have bolstered the interior not only to defend the run but also by generating an interior pass rush. Gettleman clearly has a vision of developing a disruptive front four that can cripple an offense which was the type of defense that was the baseline for both Super Bowl runs by his former organization.

After three games, the Panthers now have 10 sacks with seven coming against the Giants. The Panthers also held the Giants to just 150 total yards in a 38-0 win on Sunday. Carolina looks to be developing one of the best young front sevens in the NFL. While he wasn’t a Gettleman selection, MLB Luke Kuechly was a home run for the Panthers’ first-round selection in 2012. Last season, Kuechly led the league in tackles (164), while earning defensive rookie of the year honors. Adding Lotulelei up front frees up space for Kuechly to use his elite instincts to make plays. Kuechly appears to be on pace for multiple All-Pro selections if he remains healthy.

Despite the trashing of the Giants in Week 3, the Panthers have yet to win consistently. They must improve on offense particularly along the offensive line and they need to find playmakers at receiver. And Gettleman will eventually need to make a decision if Cam Newton is the future, as the QB's contract expires after the 2014 season. Carolina also needs to add talent and depth in the secondary.

While the Panthers still have holes to fill, one thing that can’t be denied is that their defensive front is playing at as high of a level than any other team in the league. With Lotulelei, the Panthers have appeared to have found their anchor on the interior and have a front line that should cause problems for opposing offenses for years to come.

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!
:pachaha: Thought maybe you guys might wanna get a laugh in now before the season starts.

@cfountain @OTC @Loose @DaFilthyLucre

dcpuo4.jpg

tumblr_m8ajo36Dxi1r1nisw.gif

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Yo @Skooby can you do me a solid and gimme some info on the Cowboys and/or Miami Hurricanes football?

Thanks in advance and you the man homie!

How good is Dallas' run game?

The Cowboys were able to bull over the St. Louis Rams in a surprising 31-7 rout Sunday, behind a huge statistical game from running back DeMarco Murray, who rushed for 175 yards on 26 carries. It notched a second win for the Cowboys to put them alone in first place in the NFC East, and with assumed front-runners Washington and New York both starting the season 0-3, it presumably puts them in the driver's seat in the division.

"The offensive line did a great job," Murray told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Murray is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome: This was a decent, not excellent, job by the line. But after so many games with 10-15 carries and 50 yards, even competent blocking begins to look great.

The reality is that Murray is a good back -- it's the dysfunctional Dallas offensive line that has consistently short-circuited his on-field value.

Even though he had a nice output, Murray's big day actually did not rate very highly by Football Outsiders' DVOA statistic. (DVOA is Football Outsiders' defense-adjusted value over average metric, explained here.) Calculating the value of all the runs, Dallas notched just a 1.0 percent DVOA as a run offense. Some of this is because DVOA slightly limits the effects of big plays, such as Murray's 36- and 41-yard runs, which aren't necessarily seen as predictive for future performance. In addition, Murray fumbled once, lost yardage on three carries and had runs of zero and 1 yard in goal-to-go situations. Murray was a boom-or-bust back Sunday, and the fact the Cowboys maintained a huge early lead allowed them to milk clock and pad Murray's numbers late in the game.

Rather than a breakout game that seems to herald the beginning of a dominant rushing attack, this is more likely to be like Murray's 253-yard game (coincidentally, also against the Rams) in 2011. Stop me if you've heard this before, but most of the value in that game came from runs of 91 and 43 yards. We thought it was an impressive game, but by DVOA and DYAR, it rated behind a pair of running backs who were more effective that week despite less gaudy traditional yardage totals. It also came in a 34-7 rout, in which Dallas had clock to kill.

According to Football Outsiders' game charting, Murray broke a tackle on 13.2 percent of his touches in 2012, a rate that put him seventh among all running backs with over 100 carries. His explosion and speed have never really been in question, and he forced St. Louis defenders into some tough angles Sunday, broke a few tackles and got some adequate blocking for a change. That doesn't change the fact that the Dallas offensive line was abysmal in the run game against the Giants and Chiefs the first two weeks of the season.

While we haven't put in opponent adjustments to our numbers yet, as not enough data has come in, those two games graded out with DVOA ratings of minus-40.6 percent and minus-21.1 percent. As our offensive line guru Ben Muth pointed out after the Week 1 game against the Giants, the Cowboys offensive personnel doesn't seem to be a good fit for running the zone stretch plays that Bill Callahan prefers. The Cowboys have spent most of their time in sets with two tight ends, which follows the offseason blueprint after they spent a second-round pick on San Diego State tight end Gavin Escobar. The problem is that neither Escobar nor James Hanna is a good blocker at the point of attack, and if they are spending the lion's share of the time on the field blocking and not creating exploitable mismatches against linebackers or safeties, they aren't actually helping on the ground.

There is some reason to expect improvement as the season goes on for the offensive line. Rookie first-rounder Travis Frederick was probably a reach, but he's still a good football player who will improve as the season goes on. Doug Free can't possibly be as bad as he was in 2012, and he was very good in Sunday's game, showing a lot of mobility to the second level. While the guard play is likely going to stay uninspiring and uneven, as Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau have little track record of NFL success, the Cowboys could wind up with plus players at the edges and up the middle with Free, Frederick and Tyron Smith.

Reasonable outside observers can view an optimistic future for Dallas after a few games. Their defense, under new management with Monte Kiffin and getting Bruce Carter and Sean Lee on the field at the same time, looks to be improved. In fact, it looks to be the only defense in the division that can manage to avoid getting torched on a regular basis. With plenty of questions surrounding the preseason favorites, there is every reason to believe the Cowboys can win the division and get back to the playoffs for the first time since 2009.

But barring an unexpected improvement from a lot of unheralded blockers up front, any run game success they have along the way will likely continue to be purely incidental. It will come in the games where the Cowboys get off to a big early lead, Murray breaks a few tackles and creates some big gains out of them and gets a few more fourth-quarter carries than usual while the clock ticks down to a guaranteed win -- games like last Sunday.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Yo @Skooby can you do me a solid and gimme some info on the Cowboys and/or Miami Hurricanes football?

Miami #10

Best bets to go undefeated

333.gif

1. Alabama Crimson Tide

No. 1 overall FEI rating
52.4 percent likelihood to win out

Alabama has at least a 90 percent win likelihood in eight of its remaining 10 games. It projects to be a solid favorite in the other two games, as well, home dates against Ole Miss and LSU. The Texas A&M game exposed defensive weaknesses in the secondary, but the Crimson Tide won't face an attack quite as potent as the Aggies the rest of the regular season. Alabama is giving up 2.0 points per opponent non-garbage drive, the worst rate of the Saban era, but our projections expect that number to fall in the coming weeks.

2459.gif

2. Northern Illinois Huskies

No. 44 overall FEI rating
29.1 percent likelihood to win out

The Huskies haven't been particularly dominant early this season, winning games against Iowa and Idaho by a combined 13 points. But they won't have to be dominant to win out against a schedule ranked 116th according to FEI. The highest-ranked Northern Illinois opponent remaining on the schedule is No. 66 Toledo. There are six opponents in the bottom 40 of our rankings and an FCS foe on the slate. Northern Illinois ranks 11th nationally in turnover margin (plus-1.5 per game), a factor in both of their victories to date.

97.gif

3. Louisville Cardinals

No. 7 overall FEI rating
28.4 percent likelihood to win out

Louisville also has a light remaining schedule (102nd nationally), and the Cardinals have been more efficient than projected in the first few weeks. Against FBS opponents, Louisville ranks No. 6 nationally in net points per non-garbage drive, scoring 3.6 points per possession and holding opponents to only 0.7 points per possession. The best opponent left on the schedule, according to our data, is Central Florida, which will play at Louisville. The Cardinals may need to focus on field position as an area to improve. They have started 37 percent of their non-garbage drives from inside their own 20-yard line, a higher percentage than all but three other FBS teams.

2483.gif

4. Oregon Ducks

No. 2 overall FEI rating
17.4 percent likelihood to win out

The Ducks have been very impressive early this season, averaging 61.5 points per game and 59.0 points per game against FBS opponents. The offense hasn't missed a beat under new head coach Mark Helfrich, ranking sixth in available yards (71.7 percent), fourth in explosive drives (33.3 percent) and fifth in points per drive (4.3). The Oregon defense is also ranked fifth in limiting opponent points per drive (0.8). The reason Oregon doesn't rank higher in our projected likelihood to run the table is that three future Ducks opponents have also looked good early on, and Oregon must travel to Washington, Stanford and Arizona. Our projection model gives Oregon a 74.8 percent chance of losing at least one of those three.

2116.gif

5. UCF Knights

No. 13 overall FEI rating
14.5 percent likelihood to win out

No Top 25-ranked team has improved its projection more than Central Florida over the first few weeks, according to FEI. UCF has jumped 33 ranking spots from the preseason, replacing Cincinnati as the most likely contender standing in the way of Louisville and an undefeated season. The Knights don't have many obstacles left in their way, either (80th-ranked strength of schedule), and their offense is playing very efficiently. Central Florida ranks No. 6 overall in offensive efficiency, averaging at least 10 yards per play on 27 percent of its drives.

52.gif

6. Florida State Seminoles

No. 7 overall FEI rating
12.4 percent likelihood to win out

The Seminoles have outscored their two FBS opponents by a total score of 103-20, impressive wins and an impressive debut for first-year starting quarterback Jameis Winston. Winston leads the nation in completion percentage (88.9 percent) and ranks second nationally in passer rating. Florida State ranks only behind Baylor in explosive drive percentage, earning at least 10 yards per play on 47 percent of its offensive non-garbage possessions. The big obstacles to an undefeated campaign include road trips to Clemson and Florida, plus a home game against Miami. Our projection model gives the Seminoles only a 16.6 percent chance of winning all three games.

228.gif

7. Clemson Tigers

No. 10 overall FEI rating
12.1 percent likelihood to win out

A 38-35 victory over Georgia on the opening weekend is the best win of the season so far, according to our FEI ratings, and Clemson projects to cruise through the next few games before is next-biggest challenge against Florida State on Oct. 19. That game and a season-ending date with South Carolina are the only other games on the Tigers' schedule that don't project to at least a 75 percent win likelihood. Clemson's first road test is Thursday against NC State. Both teams were powered by turnover value generated in their first FBS wins.

278.gif

8. Fresno State Bulldogs

No. 46 overall FEI rating
11.3 percent likelihood to win out

The Bulldogs have played only one FBS opponent to date because of the postponement of the Colorado game, which had been scheduled for Saturday. Fresno State edged out Rutgers by a single point in overtime and hasn't dramatically improved its FEI projection. But Fresno State's top conference competition has fallen back, and the Bulldogs will have their chance to take control of the Mountain West standings against Boise State at home on Friday night. With a victory, Fresno State may be in cruise control the rest of the year. The Bulldogs project to have single-game win likelihoods of at least 60 percent in all of their remaining games.

194.gif

9. Ohio State Buckeyes

No. 9 overall FEI rating
8.6 percent likelihood to win out

The Buckeyes have been strong early this season but haven't improved their overall undefeated win likelihood due to improved projections for Michigan and Northwestern. The Buckeyes have scored at least 37 points in all three FBS games, and their special-teams play has generated value in all three games. That's a good sign since one of Ohio State's issues last season was special teams, which cost them value in seven of their last nine games. The other great sign is that the Buckeyes' offense hasn't missed a beat despite an unexpected quarterback change after Braxton Miller was injured in Week 2. Ohio State ranks 19th nationally in available yards earned.

2390.gif

10. Miami Hurricanes

No. 16 overall FEI rating
8.1 percent likelihood to win out

Miami is off to a solid start with wins over Florida Atlantic and Florida, and the Hurricanes have been led by their defense out the gate. They Canes rank fourth overall in defensive efficiency, generating 26.5 points of scoring value from that side of the ball in terms of field position and allowing fewer than one point per opponent drive. The toughest games on the remaining schedule are road trips to North Carolina and Florida State, and our projection model gives the Hurricanes a 78 percent chance of losing one or both of those games.

A handful of other undefeated teams that are ranked highly in FEI play too many tough opponents down the stretch to be candidates to run the table. But teams like Stanford (7.6 percent), Oklahoma (6.8 percent), LSU (3.6 percent), Michigan (2.2 percent) and others could improve their standing dramatically with one more big victory.

Teams that have already suffered a loss, like Georgia, could also factor into the BCS championship run, but the Bulldogs have only a 6.2 percent chance of winning out the rest of the season.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Recruiting news:

Decision coming soon for Berrios
Four-star receiver Braxton Berrios (Raleigh, N.C./Leesville Road) will announce his decision at noon on Oct. 12 at a ceremony at his high school. The 5-foot-9, 181-pound Berrios ranks as the nation’s No. 55 receiver and No. 14 player in North Carolina. He is slated to graduate early and has already taken visits to Oregon, Miami and most recently to South Carolina. He'll take what is expected to be a final visit to Tennessee on Oct. 4 for the Vols' game against Georgia.

Biggest offers: Clemson took advantage of its win at NC State by extending an offer in the state of North Carolina to Nyheim Hines (Garner, N.C./Garner). Hines is a two-way player with good speed at 5-8, 178 pounds. Florida State went to Texas to offer ESPN Junior 300 safety Justin Dunning (Whitehouse, Texas/Whitehouse). Assistant coach Tim Brewster will lead that recruitment for the Seminoles. Miami offered a junior defensive end from Georgia in Russell Ude (Atlanta/Westminster School). At 6-3 and 251 pounds, Ude also has offers from Boston College, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, North Carolina State, TCU and Vanderbilt.

DT Thomas Holley (Brooklyn, N.Y./Abraham Lincoln)
A former basketball player, Holley picked up a football for the first time his junior season and quickly became a national recruit. He has taken several unofficial visits with schools such as Florida, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State previously hosting Holley. He plans to take several official visits, if not all five. It’s hard to predict a leader for the No. 8 defensive tackle as he genuinely seems open to a large contingent of schools. Syracuse is a sleeper after Holley’s summer visit to the campus, but the likelihood he signs with the Orange is small.

Miami
WR Johnnie Dixon (Palm Beach, Fla./Dwyer)
5-foot-11, 197 pounds
ESPN 300 rank: No. 42
Dixon's recruitment saw Florida take an early lead but then slip. Alabama, N.C. State, Ohio State and Arkansas are in it, but if there is one team to benefit from Dixon, it is the local Hurricanes. Dixon would be an immediate impact guy at receiver and yet another top prospect from South Florida who chose to stay in Miami.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

2013 draftees who've helped, hurt stock
One of the good things about the draft rules set in place by the new collective bargaining agreement is the mid-July signing deadline, which means players have to be in your system by the middle of July. In other words, it essentially guarantees that your top picks will be making their professional debuts that summer -- assuming that the prospect isn't injured. Every "traditional" first-round pick got a taste of pro ball this summer, and only three of the top 39 selections (Ryne Stanek, Sean Manaea, and Aaron Judge) didn’t get some semblance of minor league time.

And while the sample size isn't huge, we have seen several players see their prospect stock rise -- and fall -- over the summer. Here’s a look at a few prospects in the 2013 draft class who have seen their status improve in the eyes of scouts and execs, and a few that may have more work to do than initially thought.

Stock up
pit.gif
Austin Meadows, OF | Pittsburgh Pirates (No. 9 overall pick)

Meadows was one of the more divisive prospects heading into the draft, with some scouts believing the Georgia prep outfielder was a future middle-of-the-order center fielder and some questioning whether or not the natural ability would ever translate on the diamond.

Based on what teams saw this summer, it appears Meadows is much closer to the former.

Meadows, who stands 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, dominated the rookie-level Gulf Coast League this summer, posting a .918 OPS and 21 extra-base hits in his 189 plate appearances, including five homers. Those numbers earned him a promotion to Jamestown, Pittsburgh’s short-season Class A club, and Meadows continued to rake, going 9-for-17 with two homers and five walks to boot.

"There’s a lot to like," an NL scout said. "He’s got a 60 [on the 20-80 scouting scale] hit tool and 60 power, maybe more, and he can run and the arm isn’t terrible. My only question is if he can stay at center field because of his size. Either way, I think the Pirates got a star with the 9th pick, and that’s impressive.”

col.gif
Jonathan Gray, RHP | Colorado Rockies (No. 3 overall pick)

The Oklahoma flamethrower surprisingly fell to the Rockies with the third pick in the draft after the Cubs selected Kris Bryant with the No. 2 selection. And while Bryant has put up insane numbers of his own (a 1.078 OPS and nine homers in 36 professional games), Gray has put up his own impressive stat line in a league that is incredibly tough for pitchers.

After four appearances for Grand Junction in the rookie-level Pioneer League, Gray was promoted to Modesto; Colorado’s high Class A club in the California League. The former Sooner was lights out in his five appearances, posting a 0.75 ERA with 36 strikeouts in his 24 innings pitched. This is all the more impressive considered the environments that Gray was pitching in.The desert air and less-than-friendly pitching confines are often so difficult to pitch in that clubs will have prospects skip the California League all together.

"The (Modesto) park isn’t as bad as some of the other ones in the league, but it’s still a tough place, and very tough league, to pitch in," an AL Central scout said. "There really isn't anything to dislike about Gray. His heater is an out pitch, his slider is an out pitch. Would it be nice if the change was better? Yes, but as long as it can keep hitters just a little off balance, Gray is a future ace without question."

phi.gif
J.P. Crawford, SS | Philadelphia Phillies (No. 16 overall pick)

This Southern California high school product was considered the best of one of the weaker shortstop classes the draft has seen in quite some time, and he’s impressed both at the plate and with the glove.

After posting an .443 on-base percentage and 12 extra-base hits for Philadelphia's GCL team, Crawford was promoted to low Class A Lakewood. And while the offensive numbers weren’t great -- a .526 OPS in 60 plate appearances -- the left-handed hitting shortstop continued to impress on defense, committing just one error and showing more range and speed than many scouts anticipated over the spring.

"He's a better athlete than I thought, but what’s really wowed me are his instincts," an NL West scout said. "He makes plays to his left and right and, despite having average speed, he seems to get into position to make the plays necessary. I’ve heard some say there’s not a ton of upside, but I don’t think that’s fair. An everyday shortstop who can put up above-average offensive numbers has upside to me."

Work to do

chw.gif
Tim Anderson, SS | Chicago White Sox (No. 17 overall pick)

Anderson exploded onto the prospect scene with a strong spring at East Mississippi CC, but because of his lack of pedigree no one expected him to be a fast mover. That said, scouts were not thrilled with what they saw in his pro debut.

He posted a .714 OPS for low-A Kannapolis and struck out 78 times in 301 plate appearances, while walking just 23 times. And while he showed off the speed on the bases (24 steals in 28 attempts), he also showed there’s a lot of work to be done with the glove as well, committing 19 errors in just 63 games.

"There’s no denying his athleticism, but I have real questions about whether or not they will translate to the baseball field," an NL Central scout said. “Errors may not be the best way of judging a defender’s ability, but you don’t like seeing kids of his age not making routine plays, either. If they don’t rush him he’s got a chance to be a decent shortstop, but I’d have him repeat A-ball, for sure."

sea.gif
Austin Wilson, OF | Seattle Mariners (No. 49 overall pick)

There’s no denying Wilson’s talent, but there’s no denying that without major adjustments to his swing and approach, he’ll be another in a long line of failed Stanford prospects.

Wilson needed a red-hot last couple of weeks to get his OPS over .700, and his overall line of .241/.319/.414 for the Everett Aquasox of the short-season Class A Northwest League was less than inspiring. The right-handed hitting outfielder walked just 17 times in 226 plate appearances, and his overall on-base percentage is inflated by being hit by six pitches in just 56 games.

"Of all the prospects I saw, he was the most disappointing," an AL East scout said. "I loved him in high school and I thought that he was really coming on strong towards the end of his year at Stanford. I thought he was a steal for Seattle, but based on what I saw this summer, I don’t think you can classify him as anything close to that. The swing is a mess and right-handers with a quality breaking ball will eat him alive right now”

stl.gif
Oscar Mercado, SS | St. Louis Cardinals (No. 57 overall pick)

There was more than one club who thought Mercado was the best shortstop prospect in the class -- college or prep -- but the Cardinals’ second round pick looked lost at the plate and at times in the field as well.

A Tampa prep product, Mercado had just 10 extra-base hits in 42 games for the Cards' GCL team, and his overall line of .209/.290/.327 was among the worst in the league this year. Mercado was better with the glove, but still committed 15 errors in just 33 games in the field and didn’t show the range or athleticism of a player who is considered a lock to stick at shortstop.

"I just don’t think he’s ever going to be able to hit," an AL scout said. "The swing has no chance of ever leading to power numbers, and he doesn’t possess good enough bat speed to hit for a high average. I think he’s fine defensively, but at the very best I think you’re looking at a utility infielder. I don’t think that’s the goal for a second-round pick."

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Ten things to know about 2016 ESPN 25
The Class of 2016 is led by the super-talented trio of C Thon Maker, SF Josh Jackson and PF Harry Giles, giving this group an opportunity to be versatile and deep at a variety of positions.

Here are 10 things to know about the ESPN 25 Class of 2016, a small number of prospects who possess big-time potential.

1. Serious upside
The Class of 2016 first and foremost could be better than the Classes of 2014 and 2015. The early report card is tremendous not only for the top 25, but from reports coming in from around the country about players who have yet to be evaluated and added to the rankings when they are extended to 60 then 100. The overall talent and depth and the number of potential NBA players could be the difference.

2. Hitting the lottery
There is a minimum of two potential NBA lottery picks -- Maker and Giles -- currently at the top of the Class of 2016. Maker, at 7 feet, has great length, touch and skill for his size. Think a young Kevin Garnett. Giles is a long, athletic, active finisher, and he handles well for his size. He has range out to 17 feet, rebounds, defends and is still growing. He’s in the process of rehabbing a knee injury, but expect him to return better than ever and not miss a beat. Think the combination of forwards Dontae Cunningham/J.J. Hickson/John Henson and a small version of Chris Webber. We have seen flashes of them all in Giles, who has off-the-charts upside.

3. Seventh wonder
Seventh Woods is an elite athlete. He's as athletic, quick and explosive as anyone we have seen to date in the 2016 class. He excels in transition, where he is a highlight waiting to happen with his above-the-rim acrobatics. He attacks the rim and has the body control of a ballerina in the air that allows him to finish plays in heavy traffic. Woods is working to develop his skill and feel for the point guard position, but his God-given talent is simply special.

4. Position diversity
This Class of 2016 top 25 has some excellent talent and potential NBA players at every position 1 through 5. There are true point guards who can score (such as De'Aaron Fox) and pass (Jalen Fisher). Scorers and shooters have emerged such as V.J. King, Malik Monk, Terrance Furguson, Tyus Battle and Josh Langford. There are versatile forwards with great size such as Josh Jackson, Dedric Lawson, Jayson Tatum, Justin Jackson, Mario Kegler and Braxton Blackwell. There are true power forwards such as Harry Giles and even a few with college-ready bodies such as Edrice Adebayo and Deron Davis, and centers with size, length, versatility and tremendous upside in Maker and Caleb Swanigan.

5. Built tough
Small forward Josh Jackson could be the toughest and most competitive player we have seen to date in the 2016 class. He competes at a high level on both ends. Jackson is long and athletic and not afraid to do the dirty work.

6. Block party
Power forward Juwan Durham is long with fast developing skill. He is the best shot-blocker we have seen to date in the class.

7. Geographic diversity
The ESPN 25 Class of 2016 represents 19 states. Tennessee has the most players on the list with three, followed by two each from Virginia, Texas and North Carolina.

8. Winging it
The strength of the ESPN 25 Class of 2016 is the wing position. The size, skill, versatility, production and pro potential is very much present at shooting guard and small forward.

9. Not on point
There are some terrific point guards and combination guards in the class, but the number of them is small, which makes the position the weakness of the 2016 ESPN 25. We will be on the lookout for high-level point guards and combination guards who can excel on and off the ball.

10. Super scorer
Scoring machine Langford is riding great momentum that dates to the high school season, when he proved he was without a doubt the best 2016 player in Alabama. Also, Langford was a late NBPA Top 100 Camp invitee who did more than hold his own against the best players in the Class of 2014. Langford is one who could continue climbing up the rankings as time goes on.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The nation's top division is ...

Another week of college football in the books, and another reshuffling of the national and conference rankings. While Georgia moved up after prevailing in its shootout over LSU, Oklahoma State dropped after being upended by West Virginia, and Notre Dame completely fell out of the Top 25 following a loss to Oklahoma.

Injuries also played a role in Week 5, as USC WR Marqise Lee, Oregon RB De'Anthony Thomas and South Carolina QB Connor Shaw all made early exits. Which injury from last week -- or one of the many from earlier in the season -- will have the biggest impact?

In this week's "No Huddle," Insider's panel of experts debates that question and more, including which division reigns supreme, the best coaching choice for USC, which QB's stock has made the biggest leap and which Week 6 favorite should be on upset alert.

1. Which division is the best in college football?

Travis Haney: It's still the SEC West, because it has three top-10 teams (who have lost only to other top-10 teams). However, the Pac-12 North is really, really close. I believe in Washington, but not to the point that I would say it's equal to the third team from the SEC West, either LSU or Texas A&M. LSU is a bit better than expected -- Alabama had better be ready for its Nov. 9 matchup versus the Tigers -- and that helps the perception of the division and league.

Kevin Weidl: The Pac-12 North has closed the gap with the SEC West, especially near the top with the emergence of Washington. However, I believe the SEC West has more depth when I look at the divisions from top to bottom. Alabama continues to set the pace, finding various ways to win, and LSU and Texas A&M have blemishes that are hard to criticize. In addition, Auburn, Ole Miss and Arkansas all appear to be ahead of schedule thanks to solid coaching at the top.

KC Joyner: Other divisions can come close to equaling the SEC West in terms of upper-tier teams, but none are as stacked from top to bottom. Let's put it this way -- Mississippi State, a team that went 8-5 last year and has viable bowl aspirations, is the last-place club in this division.

Kevin Carter: The best conference in college football is the SEC, and the top division is the SEC West. I say this because it is the only division in college football that possess teams in the middle to lower tier that are capable of upsetting the division's top teams. The Pac-12 North is strong this year, because of teams ranked in the top five nationally (Oregon and Stanford). But it doesn't possess the strength in its middle to lower ranks to compete with the likes of the SEC.

2. Which QB's stock (college or pro) has risen the most this season?

Haney: Florida State's Jameis Winston, because he was starting at zero. We thought he might be pretty good, but we didn't know. The kid is really impressive. Leading his team back from two scores down on the road against Boston College -- that's meaningful. Arm strength. Escapability. Decision-making. He is really sharp for a first-year starter, and is this year's version of Marcus Mariota or Johnny Manziel. Even as a redshirt freshman, it isn't too early to talk about Winston's draft prospects. It's just a year away.

Weidl: It's hard to argue that there is a prospect, let alone a quarterback, that has improved more than LSU's Zach Mettenberger. I was in Athens this past weekend and despite the loss I was impressed with the senior's poise on the road. He consistently delivered clutch throws in high-pressure situations throughout the contest. Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron deserves a lot of credit as he has Mettenberger playing with a lot of confidence and maximizing his big-time physical skill set.

Joyner: Mettenberger. Getting NFL-caliber training can make all the difference between a dime-a-dozen talent and someone who is ready to take the step to the pros. Cam Cameron has given Mettenberger that caliber of training and it is showing up in every phase of his game. It's a big part of why ESPN Stats & Information currently has Mettenberger graded with an 87.6 Total QBR mark that ranks eighth nationally and is slightly higher than Johnny Manziel's mark (86.1).

Carter: Mettenberger has quickly risen on many NFL teams' draft boards. His size (6-foot-5, 235 pounds), arm strength and ability to make any throw in any NFL offense make him a valued commodity. However, size and ability don't make players. That comes from coaching and the ability to learn and adjust. Offensive coordinator Cam Cameron has brought a poise and confidence to Mettenberger that now make LSU a legitimate threat to challenge Alabama in the SEC West.

3. Who's the best coaching choice for USC?

Haney: I know Jack Del Rio is being mentioned, but Chris Petersen and Kevin Sumlin would be my first two calls. I think you want a college guy who fully understands the recruiting aspect and everything else that goes into the job. Both Petersen and Sumlin could quickly alter the script, given USC's resources and recruiting turf. If Petersen is ever going to leave Boise, this might be the opportunity; I have heard that he has long been intrigued by L.A. and that program. Sumlin has a great job, but he'd be a great fit. (Plus, he has Hollywood swag.)

Weidl: Jeff Fisher would be an ideal fit. Obviously his ties to the program, having played there, are a big factor. However, similar to Bill O'Brien at Penn State, Fisher's NFL experience, knowledge and ability to prepare his players for the next level will be very appealing from a recruiting standpoint.

Joyner: The big problem for the Trojans under Lane Kiffin is that Kiffin and his staff were so enamored with showcasing their collective play-calling expertise that they forgot to let the players' talents win games for them. Chris Petersen is every bit as creative as Kiffin in putting together game plans, and he has shown an ability to alter his approach to suit his players' skills. As a result, he can get the most out of the significant talent USC can bring to campus.

Carter: The best coaching choice for USC, in a perfect world, is Jeff Fisher. Although he is currently the head coach for the St. Louis Rams, and has been in the NFL for more than 20 years, his coaching style and approach to the game would be a much-needed change for the Trojans. Fisher is an excellent manager of personalities, which is the key to getting players to buy in to what you're selling as a coach. In my 14 years of professional football, Fisher had the healthiest approach to running a team. He treats you like a man, never lies, and his playing experience for both USC and in the NFL make him the perfect fix for an ailing Trojan program.