Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Elite 2017 prospects shine in NashvilleBy John Stovall

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- This past weekend I attended the Crossroads Elite 125 camp, which featured some of the better 2017 prospects in the country. The camp included a lot of drills for skill work and the prospects also played a few relatively competitive games.

Here’s a look at some of the best performances from the camp.

Best Prospect
Michael Porter (Columbia, Mo./Tolton)
2017, SF/SG, 6-5, 175

Porter is a smooth operator and is already a very skilled wing. He has a solid handle and is a good shooter to 20 feet. Porter can score some off the dribble and is a beast catching and shooting. His dad is an assistant women's coach at the University of Missouri, so he has great bloodlines. If he can become more assertive, Porter is a future stud.

Most Potential
Kris Wilkes (Indianapolis/North Central)
2017, SF, 6-6, 175

Wilkes is a skilled wing with great length and tremendous upside. He is growing by the minute and could top out taller than 6-foot-8. He is an impossible matchup at this point at the grade-school level and should be an immediate impact player at the varsity high school level as a freshman.

Best Wing
Paul Scruggs (Indianapolis/Southport)
2017, SG, 6-3, 175

Scruggs’ signature is his motor. He has good skills, but he generally has greater effort than his opponent. He is also a good natural scorer who finds ways to put the ball in the basket. Scruggs is an excellent competitor who is a consistent jump shot away from being unstoppable.

Best Big, Part 1
Isaiah Jasey (Killeen, Texas/Ellison)
2017, PF/C, 6-8, 200

Jasey was the surprise of the camp for me. He is a little raw but has great tools. He may not know what to do with them yet, but once he realizes his potential he could become a star. Jasey scored well on the low block and showed the ability to knock down some perimeter shots out to 17 feet. He has great upside.

Best Big, Part 2
Will Weems (Detroit/Western)
2017, PF, 6-6, 200

Weems is another raw big, but he is more skilled than Jasey. Weems has good length and is a solid athlete, and he should be the next big-time big fella out of Michigan. He can score on the low block and can also handle well enough to be able to drive against other bigs. Weems is a possible star in the making.

Best Point Guard
Tyler Mitchell (Kings Mills, Ohio/Kings)
2017, PG, 5-8, 160

Mitchell is a skilled and sometimes flashy point guard who can score and create. He seemed to have a solid basketball IQ, which is a prerequisite for a good point guard. Mitchell is very good in the open court and has the ability to knock down shots to 19 feet.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Burning questions: Central Division

1. Which Roy Hibbert will show up this season?

ind.gif

The Indiana Pacers showed just how effective Hibbert could be against the Miami Heat during the Eastern Conference finals. And it was no fluke. Hibbert actually played very well in the second half of last season. There's every reason to believe he can hurt the Heat again. He's a big reason why Miami took a chance on Greg Oden. Unfortunately for Indiana, the Spurs might have done Miami a favor: San Antonio forced the Heat to evolve on offense. They made this adjustment and eventually won their second title. So it's fair to expect that Miami will be better prepared for Indiana this postseason.

So why are all eyes on Hibbert this season? Because if Indiana can get a Game 7 at home in the playoffs, that could be the difference for them this campaign against Miami or Chicago. So if Hibbert maintains his dominant play for the entire season and perhaps amps it up in the postseason, he could give the Pacers the advantage they need to advance past the Heat.

2. Can the Chicago Bulls dramatically improve their 3-point shooting and help return Derrick Rose to greatness?

chi.gif

A "copycat" mentality permeates every sports league; coaches emulate what has been used successfully by other teams. The San Antonio Spurs elected not to guard anyone outside the paint for much of their title run against the Heat, to great effect. It is likely that if Rose is back to 100 percent, teams will take a similar approach to defending him. They will leave everyone open and clog the lane when Rose has the ball.

Why? The Bulls were a poor shooting team last year, but made some key additions this summer. Mike Dunleavy is a great shooter, and they drafted a terrific shooting stretch 4 in Erik Murphy, who might be able to crack the rotation early because of the team's need for shooting. Since his first season, Jimmy Butlerhas improved significantly as a deep shooter. However, Luol Deng dropped to a six-year low from 3-point range last season. Look, there's no question Tom Thibodeau's Bulls will be a great defensive team. But if they can finish in the top 10 or 15 in 3-point shooting percentage as well, they stand a good chance at finishing within the top two in the East in wins.

3. Is Andre Drummond a franchise center? Will we see him prove that this season?

det.gif

Yes, the Detroit Pistons made some big roster changes this year, especially acquiring Brandon Jennings and shipping off Brandon Knight. Yes, Greg Monroe teases All-Star talent and he could indeed grow into an elite power forward. But no, Monroe and Jennings do not have the kind of talent that can elevate a franchise to contending status. Drummond does.

Drummond's per-minute numbers last season suggest that he is capable of being a maximum-salary player. And history shows that once a player such as Drummond gets the minutes he requires, his numbers usually explode. If Detroit continues to develop him and push him into contention as the league's best young center, the future in Detroit looks brighter than it has in a decade. However, if Drummond falters, there will be questions hovering around general manager Joe Dumars the entire offseason -- if he makes it that far.

4. Can Brandon Knight and John Henson carry the Milwaukee Bucks beyond mediocrity?

mil.gif

The Bucks finished eighth in the East last year, so they made the playoffs. But what did that get them?

Sure, the Bucks added a few new guys who should be able to keep them in strong contention annually for the final few playoff spots. But getting stuck in a purgatory of mediocrity is a nightmare scenario for NBA franchises, especially ones that can never count on a monster free-agent class to change their fortunes. So there is pressure on Henson and Knight to develop into special players.

While Jennings, who the Bucks traded to the Pistons, was better than Knight last season, Knight has shown plenty of flashes and could develop into being a top-three player on a good team; remember, Knight is less than a year older than current rookies Victor Oladipo and Trey Burke, and is actually younger thanMichael Carter-Williams. If Henson can grow into a legit scoring option, he will help the Bucks' front line enormously. He already can pair with Larry Sanders, giving the Bucks two excellent rim-protectors and a chance to have a top-10 defense.

5. Which Cleveland Cavaliers young player, if any, will justify his draft position alongside Kyrie Irving?

cle.gif

Irving already has arrived as a star. Perhaps this year he'll be a superstar. For that to happen, though, he'll likely need at least one of his young teammates to prove Cleveland was justified in selecting them in the top five of the draft. Tristan Thompson, a likely double-double machine who showed plenty of All-Star potential in early 2013, is headed that way. He's a smoother jump shot and one free throw mechanic away from elite-level consideration. That's easier written than accomplished, though.

Is Dion Waiters more of a poor man's Monta Ellis, or can he become both productive and efficient as a true scorer? Maybe he'll just be a deep-shooting marksman, which would be less than what Cleveland hoped when they drafted him. If Anthony Bennett ends up being a scoring machine, however, things can still work out even if Waiters and Thompson end up as great role players (Waiters as a shooter and Thompson as a rebounder). Irving just needs one of them to join him on the "future stars" list.

Mackronus

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
My nikka, any way I can get some of that fantasy insider piff?

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/...ntasy-football-2013-insider-draft-cheat-sheet

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/...y-football-2013-player-preseason-value-swings

Blessings and daps to follow.
I feel like I'mma be hitting you up all season for these joints, long as you down. . .:sadcam: I ain't too proud to beg

Preseason value swings

"Coach wants to see you … and bring your playbook."

Those are the words no NFL player wants to hear this time of year. It means that you didn't make it -- your dreams didn't come true. All of the hard work, sacrifice and preparation wasn't good enough for you to make the team. It's devastating, and to this day it's hard to describe the emotions I have on the day that the final 53-man rosters are set and countless players are told that they aren't quite good enough.

In 2001, I knew it was coming. I was a camp arm -- recently said of Pryor. "That's what jumped out at me and probably jumped out at most people when they watch him play. He can run. He is a tremendous athlete, and he's got the ability to make plays. Right now we're looking for playmakers."

Not much was expected out of Pryor earlier this summer, yet look at what he has done with his opportunity throughout this preseason. He's taking first-team reps away from Matt Flynn, who has failed to impress (and may lose his starting job to a young running QB for a second straight preseason).

About those rushing yards. For the same reason that it's better to own Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson or Kaepernick over someone like Ben Roethlisberger, the rushing is the great equalizer. This preseason, Pryor has 83 yards rushing and a TD on 11 carries (7.5 YPC).

Pryor may end up being the only offense the Raiders have by the middle of the season, especially if Darren McFadden gets hurt again. That's huge upside for a guy you could probably get in the last round of a 14-team league draft (or grab off the waiver wire if your league has already drafted).

Reggie Bush, RB, Detroit Lions
Current ADP: 39.8

Back in 2010, Dexter McCluster came into the league and declared himself an OW, or "offensive weapon." This offseason, the Jacksonville Jaguars designated Denard Robinson the same way. But the truth is, with Percy Harvin likely out for the season, the closest thing to an OW that the NFL knows right now is Reggie Bush.

There is not another starting RB in the NFL who is likely to catch as many passes as Bush, as he has proved that he can be effective when split out into the slot. But Bush also had 227 rushing attempts a year ago in Miami and averaged 4.3 yards per carry. He won't get close to that number of attempts in Detroit, but he is the starting RB and should carry it around 180 times.

Factor in the receptions on top of that. Though he had only 35 a year ago, I don't see a scenario where that number doesn't double this season. In fact, I think he could catch 90 balls this year. That would give one of the most talented OWs in the league 270 touches.

To put that in perspective, Darren Sproles, Bush's replacement in New Orleans, is ranked ahead of Bush but had fewer than 125 touches a year ago (48 carries and 75 catches). With all of the attention that Calvin Johnson will get (dedicating a safety deep to his side), that will force defenses to stick a linebacker on Reggie, and there isn't one in the game who matches up well with Bush in pass coverage.

At the start of the preseason, there was some uncertainty about whether Bush would fit in well with his new team. Now? He's a borderline first-rounder for me in the PPR format, and a Top 15 back in standard scoring.

Anquan Boldin, WR, San Francisco 49ers
Current ADP: 81.4

Even though he is a former teammate and probably one of the toughest, smartest football players I have ever been around, I've been somewhat pessimistic on Anquan's fantasy value as he settles into the No. 1 receiver role in San Francisco. But I'm going to change my tune a bit here.

It's true that Anquan can no longer run like he used to. Watching him on film, you realize that he creates very little separation from the defender. That can't be disputed; there's evidence on tape.

But that doesn't mean he can't be productive. He's the definition of a savvy veteran receiver against man coverage who uses his body well -- he's strong through contact, extends to catch the ball away from his body, and he is still a very tough runner after the catch.

He's got an excellent feel for zones, and it's clear that Colin Kaepernick has a good read on his body language and has already started to trust and rely on him based on what I've seen this preseason.

He's failed to reach the 1,000-yard mark the past two seasons, but I think that this time around, because of how the Niners will feature him in the passing game, Anquan will be back over that number with well over 115 targets and at least 75 catches. Ranked outside the Top 30, I predict Anquan will easily be a Top 25 WR this season.

Ben Tate, RB, Houston Texans
Current ADP: 107.4

Expectations for Arian Foster continue to be high, and rightfully so. It has never been a timeshare for Foster and Tate in Houston -- more like a handful of touches sprinkled in for Tate whenever Foster needed a rest. This has created a situation where timeshare backs are going in front of Tate -- bothsides of the timeshare: Giovani Bernard and BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Ahmad Bradshaw (who we haven't yet seen in live action) and Vick Ballard. Even Shane Vereen is going in front of Tate.

To me, that is insane when you think about the upside. From what we have seen of Tate, he looks and plays like a starting RB. Take a look at the performance versus the Saints this preseason: 11 carries for 74 yards and a touchdown in limited work.

He's a very capable back in an offense that is outstanding at running the football, and stays committed to it. He is also backing up Foster, who has been dealing with an injury since the spring and has touched the ball a ton over the past two seasons, while also seeing his yards per carry rate drop.

There is already talk of lowering Foster's workload in an effort to keep him fresh for the postseason run. Don't be surprised if, as a backup, Tate's carries are closer to 100 and even much higher if he finds himself as a starter at some point.

It wasn't clear that Tate could be a great fantasy asset at the start of the preseason. But after what he's shown -- including that game against New Orleans -- it's reasonable to reach up two rounds to make sure to get him on your roster.

Terrelle Pryor, QB, Oakland Raiders
Current ADP: 170.0 (undrafted)

"When you see Terrelle in a game, he just looks faster than the other players on the field," Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson recently said of Pryor. "That's what jumped out at me and probably jumped out at most people when they watch him play. He can run. He is a tremendous athlete, and he's got the ability to make plays. Right now we're looking for playmakers."

Not much was expected out of Pryor earlier this summer, yet look at what he has done with his opportunity throughout this preseason. He's taking first-team reps away from Matt Flynn, who has failed to impress (and may lose his starting job to a young running QB for a second straight preseason).

About those rushing yards. For the same reason that it's better to own Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson or Kaepernick over someone like Ben Roethlisberger, the rushing is the great equalizer. This preseason, Pryor has 83 yards rushing and a TD on 11 carries (7.5 YPC).

Pryor may end up being the only offense the Raiders have by the middle of the season, especially if Darren McFadden gets hurt again. That's huge upside for a guy you could probably get in the last round of a 14-team league draft (or grab off the waiver wire if your league has already drafted).

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Top NFL players by position

The NFL is a win-now league, now more than ever. Coaches aren't given the time they used to get to rebuild a franchise. Results need to be quick and impressive for coaches to keep their jobs. Just look at the amount of turnover among head coaches -- this season, there are eight new head coaches leading their teams. It sounds simple, but while every NFL coach is qualified, the bottom line is you need talented players to win football games.

ESPN.com recently ran its #NFLRank project, ranking the top 100 players on both offense and defense. I liked the concept, so I decided to do it myself -- only I broke it down by position. Below is a ranking of the top three players in the NFL at every position, with a couple of exceptions. These are the players I'd want on my team if I were trying to win a Super Bowl this season. So while there are some young guys mixed in here, I was looking more for immediate output than potential.

Here are the best players in the NFL by position:

Offense

Quarterback

Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers: I think people have forgotten how mobile Rodgers is because he doesn't get put in the discussion of the new read-option QBs like Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson. But Rodgers has the athletic ability to make plays out of nothing, and has the most pure talent of any QB in the game right now. He also has tremendous accuracy and puts up amazing numbers, especially given the conditions in Green Bay.

Tom Brady, New England Patriots: He's had to play in different offenses throughout his career and he has done a tremendous job of adjusting. Without the ability to play with two tight ends, he'll reinvent himself again this season, throw 30 TDs and likely make a bunch of rookies look like world-beaters. So smart at the line of scrimmage, he makes everyone around him better.

Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos: He's a player who makes your team better as soon as he enters the locker room. Highly efficient, he never gets sacked and has seen everything a defense can throw at him. His arm strength should be improved this season, too.

Honorable mention: Drew Brees

Running back

Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Vikings: It's Peterson, and then everyone else at this position right now. He's the bell cow RB of the league and ran Minnesota into the playoffs last season with 2,097 yards and a remarkable 6.0 yards per carry. He has strength, power and speed -- the whole package. He sets the tempo for that team with how he competes.

Arian Foster, Houston Texans: He really does everything well. Foster can catch the ball out of the backfield, is perfect for the zone blocking scheme in Houston and has enough speed to make plays on the edge. Injuries are a concern, but they are for anyone at this position.

Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs: I expect him to have a big year in K.C. in Andy Reid's offense. He'll catch more passes, and Reid will look to get him in space, which is where he's at his best. Charles is a home run hitter in the backfield.

Honorable mention: LeSean McCoy

Wide receiver (outside)

Calvin Johnson, Detroit Lions: Height, speed, competitiveness, body control, he has it all. Megatron is impossible to cover one-on-one and set the single-season receiving record in 2012 when the Lions had no running game. But you would never know it because of his humility. He could be even better this year with Reggie Bush drawing attention in the backfield.

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys: He started to break out a little bit in the preseason already. I love his explosiveness coming out of breaks and the way he competes. He's got strong hands and outstanding body control. He's a recess guy -- when it's recess, he's always the first one out there. He loves playing football and if he can stay on the field, look out.

Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons: Jones is a terrific player, and has justified Atlanta's 2011 draft-day trade to move up and get him at No. 6 overall. Coming from an offense that was run-first at Alabama, I like the way that Jones blocks downfield. Another receiver who isn't a diva, Jones is supremely athletic and will only continue to get better in the years to come.

Honorable mentions: Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson

Slot receiver

Wes Welker, Broncos: A proven commodity at the position, he'll catch 100 balls this season in Denver with Manning. Very difficult to stop in the slot when given a two-way go.

Victor Cruz, New York Giants: He has burst onto the scene the past couple of years. What impresses me is his explosiveness and big-play ability. He can play outside too, but is better in the slot.

Randall Cobb, Packers: I saw him play at Kentucky and boy, he looked special. Entering only his third season, he has great recognition of coverages. And it doesn't hurt he's playing with the league's best QB. He's a guy who scares defenses.

Honorable mention: Percy Harvin

Tight end

Jimmy Graham, New Orleans Saints: He's still learning the nuances of the position, but can run every route and is a matchup nightmare in the red zone. He can go inside and outside the numbers, and the team does a great job of creating mismatches for him.

Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers: I think we'll see a lot more of Davis in Kaepernick's second season. You could see the chemistry between them in the playoffs. He's too fast for a safety or linebacker to cover, and I really like how he has improved his blocking. He can line up outside the numbers as well and even flex into the backfield.

Rob Gronkowski, Patriots: He's sitting at No. 3 for me, because he has been hurt. A very dynamic player, he can threaten the seam and has good body control and big hands. I love his length and the fact that he catches everything thrown to him, but he's got to stay on the field.

Honorable mention: Tony Gonzalez

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Offensive line

Joe Thomas, Cleveland Browns: He came in right away after being taken No. 3 overall in the 2007 draft and hasn't missed a game in his career. He's an outstanding football player with wonderful hands, balance and athleticism. Doesn't get the attention he should because he has been on some bad Cleveland teams.

Jahri Evans, Saints: A powerful guard, he also can play well in space. He can block the great 3-techniques in pass protection and moves people in the running game. He's one of the anchors of that line protecting Brees.

Ryan Clady, Broncos: Clady is a big reason Manning chose Denver. He's big, physical and you don't have to slide protection over to his side. He's even more valuable now because Manning isn't a mobile QB.

Honorable mentions: Duane Brown, Joe Staley

Defense

Defensive line

J.J. Watt, Texans: You can't say enough about Watt's ability to rush the passer, as shown by his 20.5 sacks this past season. What makes him so valuable is that Wade Phillips can move him around the line, and Watt's athleticism is off the charts. He has great instincts about when a QB is about to throw the ball, and has knocked down more balls than a lot of corners in the NFL.

Geno Atkins, Cincinnati Bengals: He's the best inside rusher of guys playing the 3-technique on almost every down. Nearly unblockable with one guy, he's always in the opposition's backfield. Cincinnati's defense is very good and he's the engine that makes it go.

Vince Wilfork, Patriots: I have to give Wilfork some love because he gets forgotten. He doesn't get enough credit for the job he does in New England, consistently being double-teamed and freeing up other guys to make plays. He's accountable, consistent and has been a pillar of that D for years.

Honorable mentions: Haloti Ngata, Kyle Williams, Justin Smith, Darnell Dockett

Pass-rushers

Von Miller, Broncos: His six-game suspension will hurt the Broncos early in the season, especially because they don't have Elvis Dumervil either, but when Miller is on the field he's a game-changer. He's a 20-sack guy. You can move him around, he's very sudden and has tremendous explosion off the line of scrimmage. He also takes really good angles to the QB.

Jared Allen, Vikings: Allen had only 12 sacks last season while suffering through a shoulder injury, but he's still a premier pass-rusher in this league. He's got a good motor, wonderful length, can play both the run and the pass effectively and is very aware of passing lanes. Look for him to have another big season in a contract year.

Aldon Smith, 49ers: Boy, I like this kid. He has a chance to be the next great pass-rusher and a special player. Smith is long, has great balance and a scary combination of speed and power. He needs to develop some counter moves, but he's still learning.

Honorable mentions: Cameron Wake, DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews

Linebackers

Patrick Willis, 49ers: The best inside linebacker in the game, Willis doesn't have many weaknesses. He can play the pass, is a monster in the running game and a superb tackler. You don't see too many people making him miss. He never comes off the field and anchors one the best defenses in the NFL.

Sean Lee, Cowboys: A complete middle linebacker, Lee can be a star if he stays healthy. He always seems to be around the football and I love the way he wraps up when tackling. He gets sideline to sideline very well.

Luke Kuechly, Carolina Panthers: One of the rare defensive players who can truly take over a game, look at what he did in Week 3 of the preseason against the Ravens: seven tackles, two passes defensed, an interception and some great hits. This kid has tremendous instincts, great eyes and can get off blocks. He rarely takes a false first step, either. He's a star in the making.

Honorable mentions: NaVorro Bowman, Terrell Suggs, Jerod Mayo

Cornerbacks

Darrelle Revis, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Health is obviously the biggest question right now for Revis, but if he's healthy there's no one better. He had an island in New York, so maybe he gets a cruise ship in Tampa? Revis can play both zone and man, but his strength is his length and his ability to get his hands on wideouts. Tampa's D should be much improved with him.

Richard Sherman, Seattle Seahawks: I like his length and his confidence. He's tough to beat once he gets his hands on you in press coverage. He has terrific competitive effort, though at times isn't the greatest technician. He's an elite corner and is never going to back down from a challenge.

Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals: Peterson is one of the best pure athletes in the NFL and a game-changer with the ball in his hands. He's got great ball skills as well and once he focuses a little more on technique, he's going to be unbelievably good.

Charles Tillman, Chicago Bears: Tillman is one of the toughest corners to play the game. His ability to produce turnovers, especially fumbles, is uncanny and he's strong in the run game. People underestimate his cover skills because he plays in that Tampa 2 shell in Chicago.

Honorable mentions: Casey Hayward, Joe Haden, Brandon Flowers, Antonio Cromartie

Safeties

Earl Thomas, Seahawks: Not the biggest guy at 5-foot-10, 202 pounds, but he makes a ton of plays. He has outstanding range, is tough and not afraid to tackle anyone. He takes a few too many chances, but is able to make up for it with his speed.

Eric Berry, Chiefs: I think he's in for a big year. Good in coverage, especially in zone, I like his awareness and ability to read plays. He also can play down in the box for what should be a strong Kansas City defense.

Jairus Byrd, Buffalo Bills: I love his ball skills and playmaking abilities on the back end in Buffalo. He had five INTs and four forced fumbles last season. Another safety on the smaller end (5-10, 203), Byrd can high-point the ball and displays very good anticipation. The Bills need to find a way to keep him around.

Honorable mention: Harrison Smith

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Is Michigan the Big Ten's best?

The discussion: Has Michigan become the favorite in the Big Ten?

Todd McShay: It's an interesting question, because my guess is that most people would say that there's a pretty big gap between Ohio State and Michigan. But after watching the tape of Michigan's win Saturday over Notre Dame, I don't think there's much of a gap at all, even though the Buckeyes still hold a slight edge in overall talent.

The biggest surprise to me is Wolverines QB Devin Gardner. The Fighting Irish defense has a lot of talent, and Gardner gave those guys fits all game long. The thing that makes Gardner so frustrating to play against is that he goes through all his progressions as a pocket passer, and will take what the defense gives him (he picked apart Notre Dame when it went to some soft zones), but if the defense does its job with pressure and/or coverage, then Gardner can tuck and run.

Buckeyes QB Braxton Miller is a more explosive athlete and has the ability to turn a 7-yard Gardner scramble into a 40-yard gain, but Gardner is still dangerous with his legs and is a more effective passer than Miller. He doesn't have the strongest arm but he has a good touch and his accuracy is improving.

Ohio State is more talented and deeper than Michigan at the running back and wide receiver positions, but the Wolverines have a pair of good players in RB Fitzgerald Toussaint (good lateral agility) and WR Jeremy Gallon. Gallon has a real knack for getting open and he and Gardner are on the same page -- he knows how to make his way back to Gardner when the QB scrambles. And he comes down with a lot of 50-50 balls.

The interior of Michigan's offensive line is young and needs to improve (especially when you compare it to OSU's experienced unit), but the tackles are a strength. LT Taylor Lewan's game isn't always pretty but he is nearly 100 percent effective in terms of executing his assignment.

There is a little more separation between these two teams on defense, as Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier and CB Bradley Roby are clearly the two most talented defenders across the two teams, but the Michigan defense plays well as a group and should continue to get better. In particular, DE Frank Clark and LBCameron Gordon look like playmakers.

Overall, Ohio State is a little bit deeper and has a little bit more talent, but when you consider the confidence Michigan is playing with as well as how favorable the Wolverines' remaining schedule is (they should be significant favorites in every game between now and November), I don't think it's a stretch to say that their chances of going into the Nov. 30 Ohio State-Michigan showdown undefeated are better than the Buckeyes.

That's not a knock on Ohio State -- which is still in the process of building up its talent level and will potentially have to deal with the knee injury Miller suffered on Saturday -- but more a reflection of a Michigan team that is both underrated in terms of its personnel and well-positioned to make a run. If you're a Michigan fan, you have to be fired up about this season.

Mel Kiper: I would call the Wolverines the co-favorites right now with Ohio State (plus one sleeper I'll write a little about later). But I also think Michigan has several advantages going forward.

1. Gardner will continue to get better
I went through the Michigan-Notre Dame game three times late Saturday night, and one thing that was really obvious the first time is Gardner's growth as a pocket passer. This is not a running quarterback; this is a passer who is capable of running both as a weapon and to extend plays. However, he's clearly a passer first. He has his feet tied to his eyes now, and you can see the work he put in with quarterback coach George Whitfield in the offseason is paying some dividends. But remember, he's still really green as a starter and is going to get a lot more comfortable going through his reads and mastering this offense. And it'll make Michigan better later this fall.

2. They'll get their best defender back
Michigan lost linebacker Jake Ryan in spring practice to a torn ACL, and it's hard to overstate what his presence will mean for the defense when he gets back, likely in October. Not only did he lead them in tackles in 2012 with 88, he also led them in tackles for loss with 16.5. Nobody else on the team had more than 9.0. So you're talking about a guy who will be a significant presence for them. It's pretty rare for a team to get that kind of talent infusion midway through a year.

3. The run game should improve
Last night, the running numbers looked a little better because of the scrambling of Gardner, but Toussaint had a hard time finding a seam. He averaged just 3.1 yards per carry on 22 tries. Notre Dame isn't easy to run against, for one. And two, the Wolverines, while stellar at tackle with Lewan on the left side andMichael Schofield at right, are really young at guard and center. Jack Miller and Graham Glasgow are redshirt sophomores, and Kyle Kalis, who looks like a future pro, is a redshirt freshman. As those guys gain experience, this offense should be even better.

So I'd certainly put the Wolverines next to Ohio State right now. But don't forget about the team in Evanston. Pat Fitzgerald's Northwestern squad could be really good, and both Ohio State and Michigan have to visit. One or both could fall in that game.

Rising prospect

Kiper: Dominique Easley, DE/DT, Florida Gators

I'm not sure exactly how he'll be used when he gets to the NFL, but Miami didn't have an answer for Easley on Saturday during Florida's loss. At 6-foot-2 and about 285 pounds, on the inside he either shoots gaps off the snap or uses his hands to quickly shed blockers and create penetration. When he lined up at defensive end, he can bull-rush the tackle right into the quarterback's lap. The coaches down there have told me this is a kid who doesn't just have a great motor on the field, he also loves to practice and work on his game. He's working his way into a first-round grade.

One more: Michigan WR Gallon had a great game, with eight catches for 184 yards and three touchdowns. Gallon isn't big, at about 5-foot-8 and under 190 pounds, but he has good hands, has a catch radius bigger than his frame would imply and is pretty dynamic after the catch. I can see him as a mid-round guy playing slot at the next level.

McShay: Mike Davis, RB, South Carolina Gamecocks
Davis is only a true sophomore, so he isn't eligible for the 2014 NFL draft, but I've been very impressed by him in his first two games. In Saturday's loss to Georgia he finished with 149 yards and a TD rushing on just 16 carries, adding four catches for 49 yards. He has very good acceleration, runs behind his pads and generates yards after contact. He is solid in pass protection, too.

Between Davis, Alabama's T.J. Yeldon and Georgia's Todd Gurley, the 2015 draft class of running backs has the potential to be loaded.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Almost famous

McShay: Timothy Flanders, RB, Sam Houston State Bearkats
Flanders ran for touchdowns of 11 and 68 yards in Sam Houston's 65-28 loss to Texas A&M on Saturday, adding a 33-yard TD catch to tie the Southland Conference record for career TDs (set by Central Arkansas' Brent Grimes). His 170-yard rushing total on 19 carries gave him the 26th 100-yard rushing game of his career.

We gave him a Day 3 grade based on preseason tape study. He lacks ideal top speed but has good vision, lateral agility and balance. He also has soft hands as a receiver.

Kiper: Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State Hornets
Remember him? Well, after getting himself kicked out of Georgia, Crowell is now at Alabama State, where the word is he's rededicated himself and hopes to get his football career back in order. On Saturday, he piled up 179 yards on just 18 carries, and looked like the guy who, at one time, we figured would be the lightning to Todd Gurley's thunder in the Georgia backfield. Crowell has made his mistakes, but a good year could have him back on the radar of NFL scouts, if he's not already. He's certainly got NFL-level talent.

A question for next week

Kiper: Will Jadeveon Clowney lift his game to another level?
I know most will want to know what I think will happen in Bama-A&M, but the big question for me is whether we'll see another level from Clowney than we have so far in 2013. I wouldn't say he's been disappointing -- he's still the No. 1 NFL prospect in college football right now -- but so far his one sack in the first two games came when he simply beat Georgia's left tackle with a slip inside. To me he still truly looks like he can't be blocked, because he's simply too quick for most tackles to get their hands on and take anywhere. But he hasn't been quite where I thought he'd be at this point, and I wonder if he's a little tentative because of worries about health. I don't blame him. He's a great player, I'm just wondering if he'll show us something more against Vanderbilt this week. He'll likely be facing a pretty good tackle prospect in Wesley Johnson.

McShay: Which top prospects will step up in Alabama-Texas A&M?
This is the obvious choice, as not only is it the clear-cut marquee game on the Week 3 college football schedule, there will be NFL prospects all over the field. For the Aggies, scouts will be paying close attention to OT Jake Matthews, WR Mike Evans and QB Johnny Manziel, while the Crimson Tide will be led by several prospects in our Top 32: OT Cyrus Kouandjio, LB C.J. Mosley, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and LB Adrian Hubbard. QB AJ McCarron needs to take advantage of the showcase opportunity and pick apart a vulnerable A&M defense.