Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Why Wiggins would go No. 1 in 2013

Kentucky's Nerlens Noel has been atop our Big Board all year, and he might be the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

However, he's not the best amateur basketball player in the United States.

That honor goes to Canadian Andrew Wiggins, who announced Tuesday he will play college ball at Kansas this fall.

I spent Monday talking to a number of NBA general managers and scouts about Wiggins' NBA potential. Here's the lowdown:

Q: Would Wiggins really be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft?

Every GM and scout in the league with whom I've spoken believes Wiggins would be the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft if he were eligible. Every one.

"Noel is a really good NBA prospect," said one GM whose team will be in the draft lottery. "He's just not a franchise-changing player. Wiggins is one of the three or four best prospects in the last decade. He has the ability to completely turn around a franchise. All 30 teams would take him with the No. 1 pick if they could."

Q: Well, sure, he'd be No. 1 in this draft. The 2013 NBA draft is one of the weakest in memory, right?

"No," the same GM said. "In every draft since 2007. [Greg] Oden would've went ahead of him. If Kevin Durant couldn't beat him out, no one could. But Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie Irving, Anthony Davis? Wiggins goes ahead of all of them. I'm not saying he'll be better than all of them. I'm just saying knowing what we know about them when they were in the draft and knowing what we know about Wiggins, he'd beat out all of those guys."

Q: Is any player really worth that much hype? What makes Wiggins so special?

Our own Myron Medcalf did a nice job Monday of breaking down why Wiggins is worth the wait.

"[Wiggins is] a lethal combination of crazy athleticism and skill," one NBA scout said. "There just aren't a lot of holes in his game right now. Whenever he's on the court, even the untrained eye can pick him out immediately and say, 'That guy is special.' Maybe not LeBron James special. But close to that."

Q: Typically, NBA teams salivate over centers and point guards. Isn't Wiggins a wing?

True, but have you seen the state of NBA wings lately?

Said another NBA GM: "There are so few extraordinary wings in the NBA right now. Kobe [Bryant] is getting old. Dwyane Wade is getting old. You've got LeBron James. You got James Harden. Paul George is starting to work his way up there. Who else is really elite? This kid can be in that group. He's that good -- LeBron, Kobe, D-Wade good -- and so many teams need someone like him."

Q: Can you give me a good NBA comp for Wiggins? Who does his game most resemble?

Scouts hate this question. So do I, but I think I have a good idea. While we hear a lot of Kobe and LeBron comparisons, I don't think either is right. He doesn't have the body and floor vision of LeBron. And while Wiggins' skill set is similar to Kobe's, he doesn't have Kobe's killer instinct.

I've been saying this all year, but to me Wiggins is the next Tracy McGrady -- a huge 6-foot-8 2-guard who can do everything and do it almost effortlessly. Size, length, elite athleticism, scoring inside and out, ballhandling -- Wiggins has all of that. And like McGrady, he can occasionally coast through games.

Q: Will Wiggins be the No. 1 pick in 2014?

He is No. 1 on my 2014 Top 100, and it should stay that way.

Wiggins' decision to play at Kansas should help him in his quest to be 2014's No. 1 pick. Bill Self is a terrific coach who has had a lot of success prepping players for the NBA. With incoming freshman big man Joel Embiid and swingman Wayne Selden, along with sophomores Naadir Tharpe, Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor, the Jayhawks should be a dangerous team. If Wiggins can lead them deep into the NCAA tournament, his status as the top pick will be secured.

The competition is stiff. The 2014 class is loaded. Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, Marcus Smart and Andrew Harrison all could give Wiggins a run for his money. But as good as they are, Wiggins is the best prospect we've seen in a number of years.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Grizzlies, Heat NBA Finals bound?

And our NBA Finals matchup is set:

"Grit and Grind" versus "Pace and Space."

Wait, the Memphis Grizzlies and the Miami Heat aren't locked into the championship round yet?

Not quite, but it sure feels we're headed that way, doesn't it?

If this postseason has taught us anything, it's that we shouldn't let ourselves be prisoners of the moment. That thing we like to call momentum? Yeah, it's a fickle and fleeting beast.

Remember when the Lakers were widely picked as dark horses after a strong push into the playoffs? How'd that work out? They were swept. And one minute, the Thunder look like Heat-threatening juggernauts; the next, Russell Westbrook suffers a Lateral meniscus tear and is out for the season. Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson look virtually unguardable and then suddenly, they appear demonstrably vulnerable.

Did we forget about the Spurs last season? They looked like they were going to steamroll their way into the Finals after sweeping both the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Clippers in the first two rounds and then going up 2-0 against the Thunder in the Western Conference finals. They won 10 straight games, and could do no wrong. Yeah, momentum didn't matter so much after all.

The lesson: These things can change fast.

But even so, the Grizzlies and the Heat look like the favorites to meet in the Finals after wrapping up their respective series in five games. We might not figure out their conference final foes for a while as the San Antonio Spurs are trying to win a Game 6 clincher on the road at Golden State, while the Indiana Pacers are trying to wrap up their series in Game 5 in New York.

How do the Grizzlies and Heat get there? What stands in their way? Let's break it down.

How the Grizzlies get to the Finals

Remember when Memphis' offense was doomed without Rudy Gay? Well, the Grizzlies just faced two top-10 defenses and destroyed them both en route to the franchise's first-ever Western Conference finals. That's the real story here for the Grizzlies. They have scored an above-average 104.4 points per 100 possessions in the playoffs, up from their regular-season offensive efficiency of 101.7 and 100.4 before sending Gay to Toronto. It's not a grind anymore.

When most people thought the Grizzlies offense would crumble without their top scorer, the opposite has happened: It has gotten better, much better. This was a classic case of addition by subtraction when the Grizzlies swapped out an inefficient, high-volume scorer and redistributed those valuable touches to healthier options in Mike Conley, Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. In basketball, efficiency is and will always be king.

They can always lean on their grit-and-grind defense as long as Gasol and Tony Allen are on the team, but they'll need their offense to continue its upward trajectory in the next series -- especially in crunch time. The Grizzlies have gone 5-2 in playoff games that have entered "clutch situation" territory, defined as the final five minutes with the score within five points. No one has fared better so far in the playoffs during late-and-close situations thus far.

The Grizz don't seem to miss Gay's shot creation at all down the stretch. While people were quick to hail the Denver Nuggets as "proof" that superstar-less teams can't win in the playoffs, the Grizzlies are blowing up that theory as we speak. In 30 minutes of crunch time this postseason, the Grizzlies have shared the rock, with Gasol having taken 11 field goal attempts, Conley nine and Randolph six, per NBA.com's stats tool.

For comparison, Kevin Durant alone almost shot more than them combined (24 field goal attempts) in 39 minutes of crunch time this postseason. And which team crumbled down the stretch? The Grizzlies have gotten here by playing selfless, team-first basketball and they'll need to continue playing that way against the Spurs or the Warriors. The pressure will be greater than ever.

How the Heat get to the Finals

Contrary to popular belief, this won't be easy. Yes, the Heat are winners of 45 of their past 48 games (which, as I'm typing it, doesn't even seem possible). Yes, they crushed the feisty Chicago Bulls by 73 points in four games after dropping Game 1. Yes, their recent dominance makes it seem as though they're destined to repeat as champions.

But it's hard to imagine an easier road up to this point for the Heat. The Milwaukee Bucks entered the postseason as a broken, fragmented group that lost 13 of their final 17 games of the regular season. The Bulls were practically fielding a JV team with Derrick Rose, Luol Deng and Kirk Hinrich sitting out the series and Joakim Noah hobbled by plantar fasciitis.

So, should we be surprised that the Heat have gone 8-1 so far in the playoffs? Put it this way: I'd be stunned if they went 8-1 or better here on out. Most of that skepticism is derived from the Indiana Pacers -- the Heat's most likely Eastern finals opponent -- being a healthier, stingier version of the Chicago Bulls that exhausted LeBron James and the Heat. (Look at the Heat's postgame comments about needing 24 hours to recover. They were spent.)

It has been well documented that the Heat have had their regular-season issues with the Pacers, losing two of their three games against coach Frank Vogel's crew. And just like this current Knicks series, Paul George was at the center of it all, guarding LeBron and causing him to have as many turnovers as assists (14) in three games against the Pacers this season. If LeBron thought Jimmy Butler was a tough defender, add about three inches of height and a stronger, more athletic frame.

Rest assured, the Pacers are better than they were a season ago, when they took a Chris Bosh-less Heat squad to six games. The defense has been worlds better (No. 1 in the league) and despite a recession in offense, their point differential, which research shows as a stronger indicator of quality than record, has improved overall since last season.

The bottom line is that whether the Heat face the Knicks or Pacers, they'll need James and a limited Dwyane Wade to both raise their game. Both of their postseason player efficiency ratings have dipped from the regular season (minus 4.3 points and minus 6.4 points, respectively). The Heat are the safer bet to reach the Finals than the Grizzlies, but just ask the Oklahoma City Thunder about how fragile championship aspirations can be.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Predicting Pacers-Heat East finals

Having won eight of their first nine games in the 2013 postseason, the Miami Heat will see the level of competition ramp up quickly against the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals. Not only did the Pacers win the season series 2-1, they proved their defensive mettle in upsetting the New York Knicks 4-2 to reach the conference finals. Now, a confident squad hopes to surprise the Heat -- and everyone outside Indiana.

When Miami has the ball

After six games of watching Carmelo Anthony & Co. run into Roy Hibbert in the paint, the Pacers' defensive strategy is no longer a secret. More than any other team in the NBA, Indiana has built its defense around the "Mathketball" philosophy of taking away the two most efficient types of shots -- attempts at the rim and 3-pointers, which happen to be staples of the Heat's offense.

During the three regular-season meetings, Miami attempted 29.8 percent of its shots in the restricted area around the rim, as compared to 33.3 percent of shot attempts against all opponents, per NBA.com/Stats. The Heat's 3-point attempts were also down from 28.4 percent of their shots overall to just 22.6 percent against the Pacers.

After two frustrating losses in Indiana, Miami adjusted for the third and final meeting at home. The Heat relied heavily on long 2-point jumpers, making 13 of 23 shots from this range. Chris Bosh led the charge by making nine of his 11 long 2s, taking advantage of Hibbert's reluctance to defend him on the perimeter. The ability of Bosh -- who missed nearly the entire series against the Pacers last season after straining his abdominal during Game 1 -- to stretch the floor will be key to the Miami offense.

Part of the reason Bosh is so important is that Indiana has the kind of athletes on the wing necessary to match up with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Having helped contain Anthony, Paul George will now be tested by James, who averaged just 21.0 points against the Pacers in the regular season -- his lowest average against any Eastern Conference foe. When James does beat George, he'll find Hibbert and the Indiana help defense waiting for him in the paint.

Lance Stephenson will defend Wade, who had more success against the Pacers by getting to the free throw line 7.3 times per game. Wade attempted six free throws in the entire series against the Chicago Bulls as he battled a knee contusion, so his ability to draw fouls will be worth watching in this series.

When Indiana has the ball

Don't be surprised if David West is Indiana's first option on offense in this series. West is an ideal matchup against the Heat's smallball lineup because he is athletic enough to defend on the perimeter and can punish the smaller Shane Battier in the post on offense. West averaged 22.7 points versus Miami, his second-best average against East opponents, and was particularly efficient when Udonis Haslem was on the bench (which usually translates into smallball), scoring 31 points in 44 minutes on 68.8 percent shooting, per NBA.com/Stats.

No matter who the Heat have on the floor, the Pacers will also have a size advantage in the middle with the 7-foot-2 Hibbert. Though Hibbert wasn't much of a scoring threat against the Heat (he averaged 9.7 points on 38.2 percent shooting), he had 13 offensive rebounds in three games. West added eight as Indiana rebounded a third of its missed shots and averaged 16.7 second-chance points per game. Those easy putbacks will be crucial to the Pacers avoiding the scoring droughts they are prone to.

The matchup between George and James should be equally entertaining when Indiana is on offense. George has emerged as the Pacers' go-to guy, and he averaged 18.0 points against Miami. However, James was able to limit his efficiency. George shot 31.8 percent from 3-point range and made half of his 2-pointers. James' presence might make George more effective as a distributor, a role he's embraced in the postseason.

Stephenson, who came up big in Game 6 to help eliminate New York, is a wild card and the biggest difference in the Indiana lineup from last season, when his biggest contribution was making the choke sign at James from the bench. The Pacers will also have to get some production from their second unit, a trouble spot all season. Tyler Hansbrough's activity could create opportunities on the offensive glass.

Prediction

This series is unlikely to be a walkover for the Heat. Believe it or not, my projection model suggests it's actually closer on paper than the Western Conference finals because Indiana won the season series. In many ways, the Pacers are a healthier, more talented version of the Bulls, the team that stole Game 1 from Miami and played a hard-fought five-game series.

Of course, the head-to-head matchup was favorable to Indiana for a couple of reasons. Two of the three games were played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, and the Heat had not yet picked up Chris Andersen -- a difference-maker over the second half of the season -- for the first meeting. The third game, a 14-point Miami home win, might be more telling.

The Heat's tweaks on offense in that game were a preview of how Erik Spoelstra & Co. will adjust to the Pacers' defense in this series. Indiana can execute better on defense than it did, but it's impossible to take everything away from an offense as good as Miami's.

Unless Wade's knee worsens significantly, it's tough to see the Pacers pulling the upset. But Indiana should be able to take a couple of games and make the Heat work to get back to the NBA Finals.

Projection: Miami in 6.

Miami wins 69.6 percent of the time.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
FreedS[ohh]lave;4340614 said:

Top 25 prospects update

Although it's the height of Rule 4 draft season, I typically reorder my top 25 pro prospects as we approach the end of May each year. This year there isn't as much chaos as there usually is near the top of the rankings, as just one top-10 prospect from this winter is currently in the majors.

We had two late but significant promotions that removed players from consideration for this list -- Jurickson Profar (Texas) and Kevin Gausman (Baltimore). Profar was the top prospect on my offseason list and would have remained so if he were still in the minors right now. Gausman would have moved up significantly from the offseason into the back of the top 10, as he was one of the top pitching prospects in the minors alongside Taijuan Walker and Archie Bradley.

1. Oscar Taveras, OF | St. Louis Cardinals (age 20)
Current level: Triple-A (Memphis)
Preseason ranking: 2

Taveras hasn't had a huge start in Triple-A this year, hitting for average but not power with a poor walk rate, although he won't turn 21 until mid-June, and the raw hit and power tools are beyond any doubt. Whenever the Cardinals have an opening in their outfield, he's ready, as soon as he gets over a recent ankle injury that has had him on the shelf for a couple of weeks.

2. Byron Buxton, CF | Minnesota Twins (age 19)
Current level: Low Class A (Cedar Rapids)
Preseason ranking: 22

Buxton was the top prospect on my board in last year's amateur draft, and his huge April (.392 BA/.510 OBP/.584 SLG) seemed to justify that ranking in striking fashion. His May hasn't been as torrid, but the raw ability that made him such a commodity out of high school -- 80-grade speed on the 20-80 scouting scale, a very quick bat, a plus arm, the potential for plus-plus defense in center -- is accompanied by more present baseball skill than I realized last spring. He's already 19, so a late-season promotion to high-A wouldn't be too aggressive if he continues to rake.

3. Xander Bogaerts, SS | Boston Red Sox (age 20)
Current level: Double-A (Portland)
Preseason ranking: 5

Still just 20 years old, Bogaerts has been playing solid shortstop for Portland with a solid walk rate but isn't yet generating the power expected from his explosive swing. I have little doubt that will come in time and still believe he has a better-than-even chance to stay at short.

4. Christian Yelich, OF | Miami Marlins (age 21)
Current level: Double-A (Jacksonville)
Preseason ranking: 6

A foot injury started his season late, but after a slow couple of weeks, Yelich has returned to mashing, hitting .284/.356/.636 since the start of May with patience and a high contact rate, as well as solid defense in center. He has one of the best swings in the minors and could see the big leagues this summer given what's (not) ahead of him in Miami.

5. Francisco Lindor, SS | Cleveland Indians (age 19)
Current level: High Class A (Carolina)
Preseason ranking: 7

Lindor doesn't quite have the star potential of the guys above him, but he's going to be a very good big leaguer for a very long time. He will play this entire season at age 19 and ranks in the top 10 in the high-A Carolina League in OBP, while providing plus defense at short and value on the bases. He probably won't have the power to end up a superstar, but he could be an Elvis Andrus-type player who's extremely valuable without ever becoming an MVP contender.

6. Miguel Sano, 3B | Minnesota Twins (age 20)
Current level: High Class A (Fort Myers)
Preseason ranking: 11

There are so few guys in the minors who project to hit 30 to 35 homers a year -- without some huge caveat such as, "He might strike out 200 times a year" -- that Sano ends up in the top 10 here despite questions about his position (he's still hanging in there at third base) and ultimate size. I don't think he'll be in the majors before late 2014, at the earliest, but the probability of his becoming an above-average big league regular is very high now.

7. Wil Myers, RF | Tampa Bay Rays (age 22)
Current level: Triple-A (Durham)
Preseason ranking: 4

Myers has had one of the worst starts of any player on this list, striking out nearly a third of the time while hitting for very little power, something I discussed in April when I saw Durham play. He's actually been worse since that series, maintaining that low contact rate with declining results when he does put the ball in play.

8. Taijuan Walker, RHP | Seattle Mariners (age 20)
Current level: Double-A (Jackson)
Preseason ranking: 9

Walker is repeating Double-A after last year's two-level jump to avoid the hitter-friendly Cal League, and the results have been just adequate so far, although everything that has made Walker a top prospect for two-plus years is intact -- the big fastball, the incredible athleticism, the easy delivery.

He's added a spike curveball this year, a move that makes no sense to me given that he already had a good curveball and that Mike Mussina is the only major league starter I know of who could command a spike. I'd like to see Walker go back to fastball-curveball-change and focus on commanding what he's got.

9. Archie Bradley, RHP | Arizona Diamondbacks (age 20)
Current level: Double-A (Mobile)
Preseason ranking: 29

Bradley always had ace-quality stuff, with a fastball up to 98 mph and a curveball from hell, but his control troubles last year appear to be behind him. He has walked just more than 10 percent of hitters this year after walking more than 14 percent of them last year. Diamondbacks fans should be gritty -- I mean, giddy -- over the prospect of a rotation with Bradley, Pat Corbin, Tyler Skaggs, Wade Miley and Daniel Hudson by Opening Day of 2015.

10. Addison Russell, SS | Oakland Athletics (age 19)
Current level: High Class A (Stockton)
Preseason ranking: 10

A minor back injury led to a slow start for Russell, whom the A's promoted aggressively to high-A at age 19 this spring, but he's starting to return to form now, showing solid plate discipline and the ability to square up better quality pitching. He projects as an impact bat at shortstop, where impact bats are hard to come by.

11. Dylan Bundy, RHP | Baltimore Orioles (age 20)
Current level: Has not played (injury)
Preseason ranking: 3

Bundy was in the top three in all of baseball coming into this spring, but the uncertainty around his elbow injury decreases his value, at least for the time being. I've heard that Buck Showalter wanted Bundy to improve his time to the plate, which could have caused Bundy to alter his mechanics and hurt himself, but the injury could just as easily be the result of overuse in high school.

The latest on Bundy is that he is set to resume throwing in a couple of weeks after receiving a platelet-rich plasma injection to deal with soreness in his right forearm.

12. Gerrit Cole, RHP | Pittsburgh Pirates (age 22)
Current level: Triple-A (Indianapolis)
Preseason ranking: 8

You know, Gerrit, it's time we talk about what it means to have "plus stuff." It doesn't mean you light up the radar gun. It doesn't mean you buckle scouts' knees with your slider. It means every now and then you need to miss a bat. So maybe do that a little more and walk guys a little less, and we'll see you in the big leagues.

13. Aaron Sanchez, RHP | Toronto Blue Jays (age 20)
Current level: High Class A (Dunedin)
Preseason ranking: 19

He's on the shelf right now with a minor muscle pull, but Sanchez's plus stuff, including a fastball up to 99 mph with minimal effort, is producing better results already than it did last year, a step forward similar to Archie Bradley's, where the performance is catching up to the scouting reports.

14. Jameson Taillon, RHP | Pittsburgh Pirates (age 21)
Current level: Double-A (Altoona)
Preseason ranking: 20

If you want to argue that Taillon is better than Cole, I won't strongly dispute it. Cole has more weapons and does it a little easier, but Taillon is very physical and will show two plus pitches of his own, with just a year's difference between the two.

15. Zack Wheeler, RHP | New York Mets (age 22)
Current level: Triple-A (Las Vegas)
Preseason ranking: 15

Wheeler missed one start in May with a sore clavicle but returned last week to throw five innings at Iowa and isn't expected to have further problems. He has top-of-the-rotation stuff, and after a few wild outings early in the year, including one in which he walked six guys, he has walked just five in his past four outings.

16. Gary Sanchez, C | New York Yankees (age 20)
Current level: High Class A (Tampa)
Preseason ranking: 18

Although there's still some question of whether he will remain a catcher long term, I think he's going to stay there, as he's enough of an athlete to become an adequate backstop in time -- and his bat will be MVP-caliber for that position.

17. Anthony Rendon, 3B | Washington Nationals (age 22)
Current level: Double-A (Harrisburg)
Preseason ranking: 17

Rendon didn't embarrass himself in 25 at-bats in Washington last month and continues to hit well with an outstanding approach in Double-A. I still don't get why the Nationals are taking a guy who's had three traumatic ankle injuries and experimenting with him at second base, and if they leave him at third, he can take over when Ryan Zimmerman has to move off the position.

18. Mike Zunino, C | Seattle Mariners (age 22)
Current level: Triple-A (Tacoma)
Preseason ranking: N/A

The third overall pick in last June's draft, Zunino, like Myers, has struggled to start the season, although in his defense he's the only position player from his draft class who's in Triple-A right now. I thought he might be up by late June, but Labor Day seems like a more realistic target now.

19. Carlos Correa, SS | Houston Astros (age 18)
Current level: Low Class A (Quad Cities)
Preseason ranking: 24

Correa was the No. 1 pick last June, one spot ahead of Buxton. If you're an Astros fan dismayed to see Buxton's crazy start in low-A, bear in mind that Correa is nine months younger than Buxton and performing extremely well (.274/.402/.400) for someone so young and who has yet to grow into his frame and tap into his power potential.

20. Kyle Zimmer, RHP | Kansas City Royals (age 21)
Current level: High Class A (Wilmington)
Preseason ranking: 27

Zimmer looked dominant earlier in the season but has slowed a little to where he's looking just very good. It's a tiny sample, but seeing that he's allowed six homers already in nine starts isn't great, since he pitches in a big ballpark and his stuff is good enough that A-ball hitters shouldn't square him up like that.

21. Jorge Soler, OF | Chicago Cubs (age 21)
Current level: High Class A (Daytona)
Preseason ranking: 42

The power is already showing up thanks to Soler's tremendous bat speed, and he's drawn more walks (18 in 173 PAs) than I would have guessed given how long he had gone without facing live pitching before last summer. He's been only fair in right field and his arm has looked average, both disappointments relative to what I saw from him last year.

22. Gregory Polanco, OF | Pittsburgh Pirates (age 21)
Current level: High Class A (Bradenton)
Preseason ranking: 55

Scouts seem mixed on whether he'll stay in center or not, but even if he doesn't, he brings a lot of skills to the table offensively and would be very good in a corner. If he does stay in center, he has some star potential because of his bat.

23. Garin Cecchini, 3B | Boston Red Sox (age 22)
Current level: High Class A (Salem)
Preseason ranking: Unranked

Cecchini is a high-IQ player with a good feel for hitting but no plus tools who just missed my preseason top 100 and now looks like he clearly should have made it, hitting .365/.475/.615 and translating that ability to hit into above-average power production. There's absolutely some randomness/sample-size stuff at work here, but the early reports from scouts are glowing -- it's hard not to write up a player positively when he goes 8-for-10 in a three-game series.

24. Michael Wacha, RHP | St. Louis Cardinals (age 21)
Current level: Triple-A (Memphis)
Preseason ranking: Unranked

Multiple scouts have told me they've seen an above-average breaking ball from Wacha this year, which was the main concern about him coming out of Texas A&M last June. (That said, I still don't get why he fell to the 19th pick.) There are rumors he will be called up to start for St. Louis on Thursday, but even if he has to wait, he could step into the Cardinals' rotation this summer and be a league-average starter as soon as next year.

25. Taylor Guerrieri, RHP | Tampa Bay Rays (Age 20)
Current level: Low Class A (Bowling Green)
Preseason ranking: 47

The Rays have handled him very gently, but Guerrieri is flashing ace stuff -- fastball up to 97 mph, a hammer breaking ball -- while showing very good control for a 20-year-old in his first full season of pro ball. He has been facing 18-to-21 hitters in most starts but has yet to walk more than two guys in any outing. He's also killing worms like it's a mission, with a groundout/air out rate above 3.5.

Also considered: Robert Stephenson, RHP (Cincinnati Reds); Yasiel Puig, OF (Los Angeles Dodgers); Billy Hamilton, CF (Cincinnati Reds); Tyler Skaggs, LHP (Arizona Diamondbacks); Corey Seager, IF (Los Angeles Dodgers).

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Are the Heat the best team ever?

After two nail-biters in the Eastern Conference finals, the Miami Heat blew out the Indiana Pacers 114-96 in Game 3, thanks to LeBron James pummeling Paul George in the post and Udonis Haslem forgetting how to miss a jump shot.

Because of a little phenomenon I like to call the "Permanence of the Last Game," we tend to believe the latest game portends the rest of the season. After a Game 2 loss, the sky was falling in Miami. After a Game 3 rout and ahead of Game 4 on Tuesday, the Heat have us thinking about their place in NBA history.

But really, how does this Heat squad look when we line it up against the all-time greats?

So far, it ranks right up there with the very best.

To recap: The Heat are a preposterous 47-4 since early February. Like round numbers? No team has ever been better in a 50-game stretch than the Heat; only the 1966-67 Philadelphia 76ers and the 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks have matched it.

The 50 or so sample of games is not entirely arbitrary, because midseason steal Chris Andersen joined the team right around that time. In fact, the Heat are 49-5 when Andersen has played this season. How good is that record? It's a 74-win pace in a standard 82-game season.

That's right, better than the juggernaut Chicago Bulls team that went 72-10 in the 1995-96 regular season.

There's more: After Sunday's win in Indiana, the Heat became the first team in NBA history to win five consecutive postseason road games by double digits. They've won 23 of their past 24 road games dating back to the regular season. What's even crazier is that this team hasn't lost consecutive games in almost five months, not since the Jan. 8 and Jan. 10 losses to Indiana and Portland.

For perspective, five months ago Rudy Gay was still playing for the Memphis Grizzlies, and the Los Angeles Lakers had only reset their season four times at that point.

With all of this in mind, it makes plenty of sense that people are wondering if this Heat team has a chance to be the best team ever. But right now, is it on track to be better than the 1995-96 Bulls?

Not quite.

To anchor our discussion, we'll need a handy guide to walk us through NBA history. Luckily, we have one courtesy of Per Diem founder John Hollinger, who joined the Grizzlies' front office in December. A few years ago, he devised a system to rank the best Finals teams since the NBA-ABA merger. Using criteria that awards points based on regular-season and postseason performance (measured by average point margin and win-loss records), Hollinger rated 70 NBA finalists dating back to the merger. For all of the gory details about the system, check the sidebar.

So, what were the best teams? Hollinger's system ranked the top three like so:

(Note: The figures in parentheses are regular-season record, postseason record, average score margin in regular season, and average score margin in postseason.)

1. 1995-96 Chicago Bulls: 327.9 points. (72-10, 15-3, plus-12.2, plus-10.6)
2. 1986-87 Los Angeles Lakers: 301.5 points. (65-17, 15-3, plus-9.3, plus-11.4)
3. 1985-86 Boston Celtics: 301.1 points. (67-15, 15-3, plus-9.4, plus-10.3)

This more or less conforms to the conventional wisdom. As you can see, the 1995-96 Bulls squad ranks far and away the best team since the merger, and that jives pretty well with how we remember the squad that steamrolled through the league.

But where does this Heat team fit in with all of that?

Let's dive in.

Where do the Heat currently rank?

The Heat have been so dominant this season that even without playing another game, they'd rank in the top 20 among this group of Finals teams. The Heat already check in with 242 points, which is good for 17th, just above the 1999-2000 Lakers and behind the 2006-07 Spurs.

Erik Spoelstra's crew has reached that point total because it won 66 games in the regular season and has lost only two postseason games so far, which is important because the Hollinger formula docks teams for every postseason loss on the ledger. That 1999-2000 Lakers team lost eight games en route to its title, including two in the first round to the Sacramento Kings.

What's also key for this Heat team is its postseason average point margin. So far, it's beating teams by an average of 11.7 points -- and if that holds, it would be even better than the top-ranked 1995-96 Bulls (plus-10.6 points). It's a stroke of poetry that the 2012-13 Heat handed the Bulls their worst postseason loss in franchise history in Game 2 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.

What would it take for the 2012-13 Heat to beat the 1995-96 Bulls?

A miracle, pretty much. That is, under this system.

Using the formula, we find that the Heat need about another 85 points to get to the 1995-96 Bulls' mark of 327.9 points. In order to reach that bar, the Heat would need to win every game from here on out by an average of 31.3 points. Yeah, 31.3 points. The Heat have beaten a team only twice this season by at least that amount (the Bulls on May 8, and the Bobcats on March 24).

So even if the Heat slam the Pacers by 40 points in each of the next two games and trample the Spurs in four games by an average of 25 points, it still wouldn't put the Heat ahead of the 1995-96 Bulls team in this system. Why the enormous gap? Each win in the regular season is worth two points in Hollinger's system, so the Bulls' 72-10 record weighs heavily against this Heat team, which started a good, but not great 29-14 this season.

Should we penalize the Heat for their relatively sluggish start to the season? Under this system, how a team finishes the regular season is just as important as how it starts, but it's understandable if you think otherwise (especially if you're a Heat fan).

Where do the 2012-13 Heat end up at their current pace?

The next two weeks will decide if the Heat can enter the "best ever" conversation. So far, so good. If the Heat win the rest of the playoffs with their average scoring margin this postseason (plus-11.7 points), they'll finish with a 298.5 point total, which puts them just a hair behind the top three teams (the 1986-87 Lakers and the 1985-86 Celtics finished with 301.5 points and 301.1 points, respectively).

Even if the Heat lose a game and their average point margin drops to 10 points, their spot in the top five would be secured. If they need seven games to finish off the Pacers and the Spurs, they'd be virtually guaranteed to rank among the top eight.

What would it take to place second to the 1995-96 Bulls? The Heat would have to win by 14 points on average the rest of the way -- which is not unthinkable, especially if Dwyane Wade continues to get healthier. But the Pacers (and potentially the Spurs) won't make it easy for the Heat. Speaking of the Pacers and the Spurs ...

What about the Pacers and the Spurs?

Despite the chatter these days, the Heat haven't raised the 2013 Larry O'Brien Trophy yet. The only team that has punched a ticket to the Finals, the Spurs, could be the last one standing. If they swept the Finals at their current winning margin of 10.1 points, where would that get them?

Eighth, with 267.7 points. Who would they displace in the eighth spot? The 1998-99 Spurs (267.1 points). Calling it the best Spurs team ever would not be a stretch. However, if the Spurs win the title in seven games, it's more likely that they finish right around the 2007 champion Spurs, which finished 16th overall. That Spurs squad swept James' Cavaliers after finishing an identical 58-24 during the regular season and posting a 16-4 postseason record (oddly, they won by just 4.0 points on average).

Of course, we can't forget about the Pacers. Under a fairly reasonable assumption that they'd need seven games to stave off the Heat and the Spurs while maintaining their average score margin (plus-1.1), the Pacers would check in at 163.1 points. Would that make them the worst champion on the board? Actually, no. The 1977-78 Washington Bullets finished with 162.6 points. The Pacers would just squeeze by.

Ultimately, the Heat are still the favorite to win the championship if you look at the Vegas odds and our ESPN Forecast. They could carve out a spot in the "best ever" conversation in the next few weeks. But as the best ever? That title is probably safe with the 1995-96 Bulls.

Rocket Scientist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
High IQ
Predicting Pacers-Heat East finals

Having won eight of their first nine games in the 2013 postseason, the Miami Heat will see the level of competition ramp up quickly against the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals. Not only did the Pacers win the season series 2-1, they proved their defensive mettle in upsetting the New York Knicks 4-2 to reach the conference finals. Now, a confident squad hopes to surprise the Heat -- and everyone outside Indiana.

When Miami has the ball

After six games of watching Carmelo Anthony & Co. run into Roy Hibbert in the paint, the Pacers' defensive strategy is no longer a secret. More than any other team in the NBA, Indiana has built its defense around the "Mathketball" philosophy of taking away the two most efficient types of shots -- attempts at the rim and 3-pointers, which happen to be staples of the Heat's offense.

During the three regular-season meetings, Miami attempted 29.8 percent of its shots in the restricted area around the rim, as compared to 33.3 percent of shot attempts against all opponents, per NBA.com/Stats. The Heat's 3-point attempts were also down from 28.4 percent of their shots overall to just 22.6 percent against the Pacers.

After two frustrating losses in Indiana, Miami adjusted for the third and final meeting at home. The Heat relied heavily on long 2-point jumpers, making 13 of 23 shots from this range. Chris Bosh led the charge by making nine of his 11 long 2s, taking advantage of Hibbert's reluctance to defend him on the perimeter. The ability of Bosh -- who missed nearly the entire series against the Pacers last season after straining his abdominal during Game 1 -- to stretch the floor will be key to the Miami offense.

Part of the reason Bosh is so important is that Indiana has the kind of athletes on the wing necessary to match up with LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Having helped contain Anthony, Paul George will now be tested by James, who averaged just 21.0 points against the Pacers in the regular season -- his lowest average against any Eastern Conference foe. When James does beat George, he'll find Hibbert and the Indiana help defense waiting for him in the paint.

Lance Stephenson will defend Wade, who had more success against the Pacers by getting to the free throw line 7.3 times per game. Wade attempted six free throws in the entire series against the Chicago Bulls as he battled a knee contusion, so his ability to draw fouls will be worth watching in this series.

When Indiana has the ball

Don't be surprised if David West is Indiana's first option on offense in this series. West is an ideal matchup against the Heat's smallball lineup because he is athletic enough to defend on the perimeter and can punish the smaller Shane Battier in the post on offense. West averaged 22.7 points versus Miami, his second-best average against East opponents, and was particularly efficient when Udonis Haslem was on the bench (which usually translates into smallball), scoring 31 points in 44 minutes on 68.8 percent shooting, per NBA.com/Stats.

No matter who the Heat have on the floor, the Pacers will also have a size advantage in the middle with the 7-foot-2 Hibbert. Though Hibbert wasn't much of a scoring threat against the Heat (he averaged 9.7 points on 38.2 percent shooting), he had 13 offensive rebounds in three games. West added eight as Indiana rebounded a third of its missed shots and averaged 16.7 second-chance points per game. Those easy putbacks will be crucial to the Pacers avoiding the scoring droughts they are prone to.

The matchup between George and James should be equally entertaining when Indiana is on offense. George has emerged as the Pacers' go-to guy, and he averaged 18.0 points against Miami. However, James was able to limit his efficiency. George shot 31.8 percent from 3-point range and made half of his 2-pointers. James' presence might make George more effective as a distributor, a role he's embraced in the postseason.

Stephenson, who came up big in Game 6 to help eliminate New York, is a wild card and the biggest difference in the Indiana lineup from last season, when his biggest contribution was making the choke sign at James from the bench. The Pacers will also have to get some production from their second unit, a trouble spot all season. Tyler Hansbrough's activity could create opportunities on the offensive glass.

Prediction

This series is unlikely to be a walkover for the Heat. Believe it or not, my projection model suggests it's actually closer on paper than the Western Conference finals because Indiana won the season series. In many ways, the Pacers are a healthier, more talented version of the Bulls, the team that stole Game 1 from Miami and played a hard-fought five-game series.

Of course, the head-to-head matchup was favorable to Indiana for a couple of reasons. Two of the three games were played at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, and the Heat had not yet picked up Chris Andersen -- a difference-maker over the second half of the season -- for the first meeting. The third game, a 14-point Miami home win, might be more telling.

The Heat's tweaks on offense in that game were a preview of how Erik Spoelstra & Co. will adjust to the Pacers' defense in this series. Indiana can execute better on defense than it did, but it's impossible to take everything away from an offense as good as Miami's.

Unless Wade's knee worsens significantly, it's tough to see the Pacers pulling the upset. But Indiana should be able to take a couple of games and make the Heat work to get back to the NBA Finals.

Projection: Miami in 6.

Miami wins 69.6 percent of the time.

:ohhh: scary accurate