Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
LeBron James-Dwyane Wade not working - Heat Index Blog - ESPN

Can I get this Skoob so I can make some semblance of what I saw last nite :beli:

LeBron James-Dwyane Wade not working

If you were to design a co-pilot for LeBron James on the court, would it look anything like this version of Dwyane Wade?

That’s the question that keeps popping in my head as I watch a tentative James shy away from a packed paint in the Finals. Much of that unassertiveness could be attributed to James and whatever mental obstacles stand in his way from being the unmovable force that destroyed the league in the regular season.

But I’m not buying that the root of the problem is in James’ head.

Sure, the Spurs are playing off James when he has the ball, but if you watch the tape, something else becomes obvious:

The Spurs are completely ignoring Wade. And it’s killing the Heat’s spacing.

More often than not, when James controlled the ball on the perimeter, the man guarding Wade (usually Danny Green) would camp out in the paint and throw one more body in James’ way. Initially, the Heat were able to take advantage of the Spurs’ cheating by having Wade cut to the basket. But that synergy disappeared quickly.

What’s become painfully obvious the past few weeks is that the James-Wade partnership is not working. That doesn’t mean it can’t turn itself around in Game 4. But Wade’s compromised state has made him a liability on offense.

Wade is not a threat whatsoever from downtown, which was always the case, but he used to make his defender pay by blowing by him with a devastating first step. With a bruised right knee, that explosiveness has been defused, and it’s signaling to the Spurs that they can play off Wade without consequence.

In Game 3, the Heat were minus-30 with James and Wade on the court together and a not-so-abysmal minus-6 when they were apart. This is a growing trend. The Heat can’t seem to get anything going with James and Wade together.

For the postseason, the Heat have outscored opponents by a mere 3.3 points per 100 possessions with James and Wade on the court together, according to NBA.com. But when James is playing without Wade? That number skyrockets to 21.8 points per 100 possessions. Remember that 33-5 run in Game 2? James was leading a unit without Wade. That’s not a random blip.

It’s all about spacing. Beneath all the armchair psychology that will inevitably arise after Game 3, what’s really plaguing the Heat is that they have absolutely no spacing. Erik Spoelstra built an offense predicated on “pace-and-space” during the lockout, and it’s worked brilliantly when Wade has been healthy. But that’s not the case anymore. The Heat aren’t running, and they’re not able to afford each other the requisite real estate to operate.

Much of that has to do with Wade’s limited state. You can see it on film and in the numbers. According to NBA.com’s stats, just 37.8 percent of James’ field goal attempts occur in the restricted area when he’s playing next to Wade. But when Wade leaves the court, that portion soars to 44.9 percent. Want more evidence? James’ free throw attempts almost double from 5.5 per 36 minutes when Wade’s on the floor to 8.9 per 36 minutes when Wade’s on the bench. Prefer to use player efficiency rating? James has a 31.2 PER with Wade on the bench this postseason, but it plummets to 25.1 when he’s alongside Wade. James regular-season PER? 31.6, or just about the same as when Wade’s out of the picture.

James better without Wade

Here are James’ numbers with and without Wade on the court this postseason.

Stat w/ Wade w/o Wade
%FGA at rim 37.8 44.9
FTA/36 5.5 8.9
PTS/36 19.5 26.5
PER 25.1 31.2

In other words, James shifts into attack mode when Wade is gone.

That’s likely a product of two things: 1) the Spurs can’t clog the paint as well when Wade is replaced by an all-time shooter like Ray Allen; and 2) James doesn’t have to worry about locking Wade out of the offense if he’s not on the court. That second factor is especially important after Wade complained about touches after Game 6 of the Indiana series.

Because of this dysfunctional relationship, it makes sense to consider whether Wade is better suited to come off the bench. Such a move would allow James to put pressure on a Spurs defense that is hell-bent on keeping the reigning MVP isolated out on the perimeter. The Spurs haven’t had nearly the same success when James works without Wade. It’s an extremely tiny sample size, but in the Finals, the Heat are scoring 139.1 points per 100 possessions in the 31 minutes when James runs the offense without Wade. That’s the juggernaut Heat we’re used to seeing.

James deserves much of the blame for not aggressively attacking the rim, but it’s not simply a matter of mental fragility. He has shown he can penetrate into the paint and lead the Heat offense. Just not when a hurt Wade gets in his way.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
LeBron James-Dwyane Wade not working

If you were to design a co-pilot for LeBron James on the court, would it look anything like this version of Dwyane Wade?

That’s the question that keeps popping in my head as I watch a tentative James shy away from a packed paint in the Finals. Much of that unassertiveness could be attributed to James and whatever mental obstacles stand in his way from being the unmovable force that destroyed the league in the regular season.

But I’m not buying that the root of the problem is in James’ head.

Sure, the Spurs are playing off James when he has the ball, but if you watch the tape, something else becomes obvious:

The Spurs are completely ignoring Wade. And it’s killing the Heat’s spacing.

More often than not, when James controlled the ball on the perimeter, the man guarding Wade (usually Danny Green) would camp out in the paint and throw one more body in James’ way. Initially, the Heat were able to take advantage of the Spurs’ cheating by having Wade cut to the basket. But that synergy disappeared quickly.

What’s become painfully obvious the past few weeks is that the James-Wade partnership is not working. That doesn’t mean it can’t turn itself around in Game 4. But Wade’s compromised state has made him a liability on offense.

Wade is not a threat whatsoever from downtown, which was always the case, but he used to make his defender pay by blowing by him with a devastating first step. With a bruised right knee, that explosiveness has been defused, and it’s signaling to the Spurs that they can play off Wade without consequence.

In Game 3, the Heat were minus-30 with James and Wade on the court together and a not-so-abysmal minus-6 when they were apart. This is a growing trend. The Heat can’t seem to get anything going with James and Wade together.

For the postseason, the Heat have outscored opponents by a mere 3.3 points per 100 possessions with James and Wade on the court together, according to NBA.com. But when James is playing without Wade? That number skyrockets to 21.8 points per 100 possessions. Remember that 33-5 run in Game 2? James was leading a unit without Wade. That’s not a random blip.

It’s all about spacing. Beneath all the armchair psychology that will inevitably arise after Game 3, what’s really plaguing the Heat is that they have absolutely no spacing. Erik Spoelstra built an offense predicated on “pace-and-space” during the lockout, and it’s worked brilliantly when Wade has been healthy. But that’s not the case anymore. The Heat aren’t running, and they’re not able to afford each other the requisite real estate to operate.

Much of that has to do with Wade’s limited state. You can see it on film and in the numbers. According to NBA.com’s stats, just 37.8 percent of James’ field goal attempts occur in the restricted area when he’s playing next to Wade. But when Wade leaves the court, that portion soars to 44.9 percent. Want more evidence? James’ free throw attempts almost double from 5.5 per 36 minutes when Wade’s on the floor to 8.9 per 36 minutes when Wade’s on the bench. Prefer to use player efficiency rating? James has a 31.2 PER with Wade on the bench this postseason, but it plummets to 25.1 when he’s alongside Wade. James regular-season PER? 31.6, or just about the same as when Wade’s out of the picture.

James better without Wade

Here are James’ numbers with and without Wade on the court this postseason.

Stat w/ Wade w/o Wade
%FGA at rim 37.8 44.9
FTA/36 5.5 8.9
PTS/36 19.5 26.5
PER 25.1 31.2

In other words, James shifts into attack mode when Wade is gone.

That’s likely a product of two things: 1) the Spurs can’t clog the paint as well when Wade is replaced by an all-time shooter like Ray Allen; and 2) James doesn’t have to worry about locking Wade out of the offense if he’s not on the court. That second factor is especially important after Wade complained about touches after Game 6 of the Indiana series.

Because of this dysfunctional relationship, it makes sense to consider whether Wade is better suited to come off the bench. Such a move would allow James to put pressure on a Spurs defense that is hell-bent on keeping the reigning MVP isolated out on the perimeter. The Spurs haven’t had nearly the same success when James works without Wade. It’s an extremely tiny sample size, but in the Finals, the Heat are scoring 139.1 points per 100 possessions in the 31 minutes when James runs the offense without Wade. That’s the juggernaut Heat we’re used to seeing.

James deserves much of the blame for not aggressively attacking the rim, but it’s not simply a matter of mental fragility. He has shown he can penetrate into the paint and lead the Heat offense. Just not when a hurt Wade gets in his way.

fukkin Wade is always hurt. Its ridiculous how fragile this guy is..

Would this capri pants primadonna Wade even entertain comin off the bench though?

Thats the question.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Top shooting guard prospects

1. Will Victor Oladipo ever be an 18 PPG scorer in the NBA?

Ford: Yes. I hear some GMs arguing that he won't crack 10 PPG, and I understand why. Right now his offensive skills are very average and teams are thinking of drafting him primarily because of his defensive ability. But I think they are ignoring Oladipo's obvious upside. He is, arguably, the hardest worker in the draft.

He runs the floor well and gets steals that lead to breakaway dunks. He is a very good offensive rebounder and finisher in the paint. He showed significant improvement on both his jump shot and handle every season at Indiana. Assuming he retains that work ethic, I don't see any reason he can't move from solid to good to great on the offensive end.

His fundamentals are fine. He just needs time, and his defensive prowess will buy him minutes early until he develops. I don't think it will be in his first few years in the league, nor do I think he's the second coming of Dwyane Wade. But I do think Oladipo is going to be a good scorer in the NBA someday.

Bilas: Yes. I believe it is unlikely that Oladipo will be a primary scorer who will score 18 or more points per game consistently over a period of years, but I believe that he is capable of doing that over the course of at least one season during his career.

Given his improvement and his attitude, I am unwilling to put it past him. Oladipo is undersized, but he is such a great athlete with his length, explosiveness and open-court ability, and he is really efficient on offense. The comparisons of Oladipo with Dwyane Wade and Michael Jordan are a bit much, but Oladipo has a chance to be better as a pro than he was in college. Whether he scores 18 a game or not, Oladipo will not fail in the NBA. He will find a way.

2. Should Ben McLemore's lack of aggression be a major concern?

Ford: Yes. I know he's 20 and has played just one season of college ball. But I am more comfortable with a player changing his jump shot than having to change his personality. McLemore has all of the physical tools and skills to be an All-Star someday. His picture-perfect jump shot and elite athletic abilities make him a very attractive prospect.

But it's hard to ignore that McLemore, on many occasions, disappeared into the background. Some of that is his lack of a solid handle; he struggles to create his own shots. But most of it stems from his personality. He's humble and deferential and is just happy to be on a team. He's not an alpha dog, and I don't think that will change.

I hope I'm wrong, because if it does change he's going to be awesome and it couldn't happen to a nicer young man. If he doesn't change? He'll be a solid rotation player and still worthy of a top-10 pick in this draft.

Bilas: Yes. His lack of assertiveness is the only thing that can hold him back from being the best player in this draft. McLemore is the most talented player in this draft, and on pure talent alone he should be the top overall pick. He is going to be good no matter what.

But this question speaks to whether McLemore is going to be great and deliver on the promise of his talent. And as of now, he is not yet as mentally strong or tough as he needs to be if he's going to be an NBA All-Star. McLemore is too hard on himself and gets down too easily right now.

I believe that if he gets with the right team early, and he doesn't have to be "the man" right away, he can really blossom. But if he goes to a team that expects him to take over and deliver right away, it can go the other way and he'll be just a good NBA player.

3. Should Kentavious Caldwell-Pope be a top-10 pick?

Ford: Yes. He has virtually every attribute that you're looking for -- good size for his position, good athlete, can really shoot the basketball, defends his position and has a pretty high basketball IQ. Had Caldwell-Pope played on a team with more talent, I think he'd be mentioned in the same breath as McLemore and Oladipo.

To me, he's the perfect balance of the two. I know his numbers didn't always reflect this at Georgia, but when you count all of the late-in-the-shot-clock wild shots he had to take, it's not surprising his shooting percentage was a little low.

Bilas: Yes. KCP is a really talented shooter with good size, length, decent speed and the ability to consistently hit his jump shot. He has been well-coached, and he is very good using ball screens and shooting off the dribble or the catch.

Caldwell-Pope is not an elite athlete or a great individual defender, but his ability to do one thing -- shoot the ball -- at an elite level makes him worthy of a top-10 selection in this year's NBA draft. Given the talent level in this draft, you have to ask yourself this question: If you don't want to take KCP in the top 10, which prospect ahead of him are you more sure of?

4. Would you gamble a first-round pick on Ricardo Ledo?

Ford: Yes. There are very few upside players in this draft, so teams that want to swing for the fences aren't finding a lot of good pitches. Ledo could be that guy. He's got great size, is an elite shooter and really knows how to score the basketball. Had he been eligible to play for Providence this season, I think he would've cracked our top 10.

His off-the-court issues are a bit troubling, and it's tough to take a player who missed a critical year of development, but after the top 12 to 15 prospects, I don't think anyone left has a higher ceiling than Ledo.

Bilas: Yes. I would strongly consider it this year, because this is the kind of year in which taking a risk makes sense. Ledo is one of those "risk-reward" talents who presents question marks because you haven't really seen him play, only practice. He is a very talented scorer, and has a great knack for putting the ball through the net.

So he has talent, but he hasn't played in a real game beyond the high school level, so he is a bit of a mystery. Late in the first round, if there is nobody sitting there you feel compelled to take, Ledo is worth the risk. But if you do have a prospect sitting there that you think can be a valued contributor, I would take a pass on Ledo.

Top 10 shooting guards

Ford
1. Victor Oladipo, Indiana
2. Ben McLemore, Kansas
3. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia
4. Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State
5. Sergey Karasev, Russia
6. Reggie Bullock, North Carolina
7. Allen Crabbe, California
8. Ricardo Ledo, Providence
9. Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
10. Alex Abrines, Spain

Bilas
1. Ben McLemore, Kansas
2. Victor Oladipo, Indiana
3. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Georgia
4. Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State
5. Allen Crabbe, California
6. Sergey Karasev, Russia
7. Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
8. Reggie Bullock, North Carolina
9. Ricardo Ledo, Providence
10. Archie Goodwin, Kentucky

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
FreedS[ohh]lave;4527189 said:

5 things to know about the 2016 class

1. Giles is a generational talent
Having seen No. 1 prospect Harry Giles (Winston-Salem, N.C./Wesleyan Christian) since the fall of his freshman season, I’ve already been able to watch him in numerous settings. The basketball part with him is easy. He’s a combo forward in the making who is now 6-foot-9 and not even close to being done growing. Watch him once and you know he passes, handles, thinks, rebounds, converts -- really, does whatever you need -- at the highest level. Get to know him, and you understand that the talent meshes with humility, the desire to improve and the drive to achieve. It’s been a long, long time since I’ve had these early thoughts about a player, but to me, Giles has an opportunity to be one of the special talents of his generation.

2. Gotta love those wings
People are falling hard for the 2016 class already, and one of the big reasons is the proliferation of talented wing players. No. 3 rising sophomore Josh Jackson (Southfield, Mich./Consortium College Prep) is a college defender right now; picture a more offensively gifted Corey Brewer. No. 4 V.J. King (Akron, Ohio/St. Vincent-St. Mary) can score inside the arc and at the rim. If he adds a 3-point shot and a dose of athleticism, look out. No. 5 Jayson Tatum (St. Louis/Chaminade Prep) is merely a fawn in the woods at this point who is growing into his game and has a high hoops IQ. No. 6 Terrance Ferguson (Dallas/Prime Prep) made the USA Basketball U16 team because of his proficiency knocking down jumpers, though he’s capable of more. And as good as Ferguson is, fellow Texan De’Aaron Fox (Katy, Texas/Cypress Lakes), ranked No. 13 in the ESPN 25, may track him down in his own state. We can go on and on here, but I’ll leave it with just one more: No. 16 Braxton Blackwell (Nashville, Tenn./Christ Presbyterian) is listed as a power forward but he might be a replica of UCLA point forward Kyle Anderson when it’s all said and done.

3. Athletes making early impact
I’m not a big YouTube or mixtape guy. Having said that, do yourself a favor and Google the freshman year highlights of No. 14 Seventh Woods (Columbia, S.C./Hammond). Then call up No. 11 Malik Monk (Lepanto, Ark./East Poinsett County) highlights and compare the level of athleticism between the two. Woods is a top-five talent in this class; he’s just not polished yet. He owns Derrick Rose/Russell Westbrook athleticism, and I’m not exaggerating. Oh, and he’s only 14 years old. Monk, meanwhile, has a brother who played receiver at Arkansas, and Malik is even more athletic than Marcus. Finally, maybe you were watching “SportsCenter” one night last month and saw the highlight of the high school star who caught an alley-oop and did a 360 windmill. That play finished ahead of Roy Hibbert’s block at the rim in the Eastern Conference finals. The dunker? No. 24 rising sophomore Kwe Parker (Fayetteville, N.C./Trinity Christian).

4. So young it’s tough to call them underrated, but ...
You get the sense that even recruiting junkies aren’t in tune yet with Jackson and No. 2 prospect Thon Maker (Martinsville, Va./Carlisle School). We hear plenty about Giles and Woods and a few others, but these guys are elite prospects. Maker is a skilled, foreign-born big man who specializes in smiling, shot-blocking and shooting. Jackson, meanwhile, is funny, long and supremely gifted. There are also guys outside our top 25 who within a month’s time will rocket up the charts.

5. No time to rest
Among recruiting analysts, there’s a wave of positive emotion that’s rolling with the Class of 2016. Though always careful to anoint the next class as the “next best class,” this group is ridiculously talented. USA Basketball’s feeder team, the U16 squad, invited 20 members of the 2016 class to try out for the team, and the consensus was that they featured the most talent the program has had in one class in a long time. Here’s the point: Whether you’re Harry Giles, Parker or someone like No. 18-ranked aircraft carrier Caleb Swanigan (Fort Wayne, Ind./Homestead), this is not the year to coast and rest on your reputation.

10 things to know about the 2015 class

1. There’s a big man invasion
The Class of 2015 is serious about its size. A stroll around the country yields a variety of big men from different areas. No. 4 overall prospect Diamond Stone (Milwaukee/Dominican) is the top-rated true center, but others are lurking. The bottom line is there are a slew of big boys coming up the grassroots pipeline, including some elite-level prospects. To think that seven legitimate big men cracked the top 10 is remarkable. Two of note are No. 7 Stephen Zimmerman (Las Vegas/Bishop Gorman) and No. 5 Elijah Thomas (Rockwall, Texas/Prime Prep). They were highly regarded early on because of their size, but now Thomas is in shape and Zimmerman is developing his basketball ego. For their efforts, they’re both left fighting for a spot in the top five.

2. There’s something special about Newman
It would be difficult to go wrong with either No. 1 Ivan Rabb (Oakland/Bishop O’Dowd) or No. 2 Malik Newman (Jackson, Miss./Callaway) at the top of the 2015 class. Rabb retained his spot at the top of the class in our latest rankings, but after a dominant display of basketball and personal growth from Newman at the USA Basketball U16 tryouts, there’s no doubt he’ll have plenty to say about the No. 1 ranking in 2015 by the time all is said and done. Newman entered the spring as a volume scorer who got buckets. He went to the U16 tryouts and was the best shooter, one of the top playmakers and had an awakening with his personality. Watch him closely because he’s turning into a dominant, multifaceted player -- not just a scorer.

3. The race for the No. 1 spot has tiers
When you think about the elite of the 2015 class, there’s Newman and Rabb in a tier to themselves for the moment. Notice I said for the moment. In another tier I’d put No. 3 Ben Simmons (Melbourne, Australia/Montverde Academy) and No. 6 Skal Labissiere (Memphis, Tenn./Evangelical Christian), two players who are relatively new to the United States but have enormous ceilings. They should stay close enough in the rearview mirror of the two top dogs to make the race interesting the entire way through. Another tier consists of Stone, Zimmerman and Thomas. Want a wild card? I’ll offer up current No. 13-ranked Carlton Bragg (Cleveland/Villa Angela-St. Joseph). You watch Bragg and leave thinking that his overall game and ability could explode at any moment.

4. International wave crashes U.S. shores again
In the recent past, we’ve focused on Canada as an international hub for new recruits. But among the top 10 rising juniors, it’s Haiti, Canada and Mali that have been good to U.S. basketball. Labissiere is still just cracking his potential after coming to the States from Haiti, and Simmons only played four games this past season for national champ Montverde after arriving from Australia. Meanwhile, No. 10 prospect Cheick Diallo of Mali is an elite talent in the class already and fears no one. Canada’s pipeline isn’t running dry, but there’s competition from other parts of the world to fill U.S. schools with elite talent.

5. Depth trumps stars
Don’t get me wrong; there is star power in the 2015 class. However, my focus is on the depth. Around this time of year, I’d be uncomfortable kicking out a list of the 100 best rising juniors. But in looking at the numbers this week, the 2015 group seems to have some great depth. Now, a lot can happen before we eventually cross the finish line with this class. Remember how the Class of 2014 was weakened last fall when Andrew Wiggins, Noah Vonleh, Dakari Johnson and others moved up a year? Regardless, this 2015 group has a strong core of five to seven top dogs, and it’s also ahead of schedule on the depth chart. Plus, there’s a nice mix at the positions.

6. Injuries have hit this class hard
If you take stock of the 2015 group, you’ll immediately notice that some of the better players have been M.I.A. No. 31 recruit Mickey Mitchell (Plano, Texas/Prestonwood Christian) hasn’t played all spring and neither has No. 23 King McClure (Ovilla, Texas/Triple A Academy). Promising guard William Jackson (Athens, Ga./Athens Christian) is on the shelf as well. Once these guys resume playing, we’ll be able to evaluate three potential needle movers in the group.

7. “Beast” tops the list of best motors
When it comes to playing hard and with a purpose, No. 14 prospect Thomas Bryant (Rochester, N.Y./Bishop Kearney) stands out. The player nicknamed “Beast” is that guy you think eats his steaks extra rare and likes to run through you, not around you. Bryant is a unique kid who trucks along with a high motor. Elijah Thomas is another. Since he trimmed up his body, his motor has been revving high. Thomas is a good example for young players of what can happen and how your game can explode if you take conditioning seriously. Truth be told, making the motor list is easy and it’s up to the player. These two are setting the tone for their class.

8. If it’s scoring you want ...
We all realize how important putting the ball in the bucket is, and the 2015 crew has a handful of players who can do it better than the rest. Newman is the best combination of jump shooting, defense into offense and finishing at the rim. In his rearview mirror is No. 8 recruit Tyler Dorsey (Los Angeles/St. John Bosco), the biggest scorer in the West. On the East Coast, No. 21 prospect Isaiah Briscoe (Union, N.J./St. Benedict’s) can score. He’s a player with an unorthodox way about him who finishes with 25 points and leaves you scratching your head as to how he did it. One final name to end on: No. 36 recruit Allonzo Trier (Oklahoma City/NOAH Homeschool) carried a subpar Athletes First AAU team, and buckets are not a problem for him.

9. What about stretch 4-men?
The newest position in basketball, thanks to Dirk Nowitzki and Kevin Durant’s skill sets, is the hybrid 4-man. Well, 2015 has those players, too. Simmons is definitely a left-handed candidate to pop jumpers, while Zimmerman and Bragg have good mid-range touch. Earlier this month, we learned that No. 29 recruit Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake, Wis./Rice Lake) may look like a center, but he’s thinking jump shot in terms of his sweet spot. Other candidates for the stretch 4 are No. 49 Bennie Boatwright (Mission Hills, Calif./Bishop Alemany), No. 45 Trevor Manuel (Lansing, Mich./Sexton) and it wouldn’t surprise me if Rabb started knocking down jumpers consistently in the next year.

10. Are the commitments slowing down?
I wasn’t finished typing that header before I regretted it. Although only a single ESPN 60 prospect is committed, are the early pledges really slowing? This class may be the best group to experiment with. Here’s what’s driving the trend of waiting: Recruits are digging the extra few months of exposure they receive when they wait until the spring. However, just as quickly as the trend began with John Wall in 2009, it can reverse on a dime. If the class in front of this one turns out to be low-maintenance and decides early, this group may see it as a trend, and fewer will wait until the spring. For now, it’s too early to tell, but as a group, just one commitment in ESPN 60 is a touch slower than the year before. August is a popular month for rising juniors to decide, so we’ll see what late summer brings.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
FreedS[ohh]lave;4527189 said:

10 things to know about the 2014 class

1. Potential landscape-altering package deal
A relationship strengthened by their gold-medal runs with USA Basketball’s junior national teams forged what could be the biggest recruiting package deal in a long time. Center Jahlil Okafor (Chicago/Whitney Young), the No. 1 player in the ESPN 100, and point guard Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley), the No. 3 prospect, are close friends. Why wouldn’t a dominant center strike up a relationship with a Chris Paul knockoff at the point?

Someone -- namely Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan State, Ohio State or Baylor -- could hit the jackpot. Imagine one of those teams injecting the nation’s best big man and top point guard into the same lineup. We’re talking Final Four and national championship expectations. Here’s the kicker: Small forward Justise Winslow (Houston/St. John’s), the No. 15 recruit, just might join them. Will this package stay together or will the situation dissolve as each player goes his own way? That’s the biggest recruiting question of the year.

2. Turner could be the next big thing
Last season, Joel Embiid emerged as the big man who blew up, going from unranked to No. 6 overall in the final 2013 ESPN 100. This time around, all the markers for that spot belong to center Myles Turner (Euless, Texas/Trinity), who has gone from unranked to No. 10 in the 2014 ESPN 100. Turner, who wears size-21 sneakers, has the academics, athleticism, size and ability to score and block shots. Many teams have done advance work on him; others will fall in love come July.

3. The race for the top spot is far from over
To me, the top two players in the 2014 class entering the July evaluation period are Okafor and Jones. Think of Okafor as a big battleship capable of causing all sorts of havoc in the paint. He’s a monster and isn’t even healthy after battling injuries this spring. Then there’s Jones, who is the best pure point man in high school since Paul in 2003. Either one could earn the top spot. Then there’s up-and-coming center Cliff Alexander (Chicago/Curie), the No. 2 recruit. He is the least refined of the three but is the guy NBA scouts will undoubtedly salivate over. Going into July, it looks like a three-horse race.

4. Exum is an X factor
We’ve had our Canadian invasion the past few recruiting seasons, punctuated with Andrew Wiggins this year. Now it’s time for Australia. Rising junior big man Ben Simmons has moved all the way to No. 3 in the 2015 class now that the Melbourne native is at Montverde Academy (Fla.). Countryman Dante Exum, a 2014 shooting guard, isn’t ranked in the ESPN 100 because he doesn’t attend high school in the United States, but he’ll be one of the most highly recruited players in the 2014 class. Exum visited Indiana during the season. The Hoosiers did all kinds of early homework on him and scored points. LSU has an assistant who knows the family, and Georgetown is also in the mix. Will the list grow? Where will he be during the summer? Who will spend the time, money and resources to follow him around in July? Once these questions are answered and July passes, the picture will clear up.

5. Point guard crop looks solid
There have been some really shabby point guard crops in recent years, but the 2014 group seems to deepen with every event we attend. At the top you have Jones, Emmanuel Mudiay (Dallas/Prime Prep) and UNC-bound Joel Berry (Apopka, Fla./Lake Highland). Mudiay is No. 5 overall, while Berry is No. 14. Those three are unlikely to yield their spots or see a shakeup in the order. After that, it’s an issue of personal preference. By the time the final 2014 ESPN 100 rolls around next spring, there could be 25 point guards in the top 100.

6. Power forward is thin
As nice as the point position is, the power forward spot is equally on the thin side. After the top half-dozen guys, the position morphs into a free-for-all, take-your-pick scenario. There are some late bloomers like Mike Gilmore (Jacksonville, Fla./Episcopal) and Angel Delgado (Troy, N.Y./Redemption Christian) who need to be vetted. What we don’t have is a situation like last year where there were 12 guys for a handful of All-American slots. Of all the positions, this one needs to thicken up the most. No. 4 overall prospect Trey Lyles (Indianapolis/Arsenal Tech) is the standard-bearer at power forward in 2014, while No. 7 Chris McCullough (Bronx, N.Y./Brewster Academy) is a prospect and No. 9 Kevon Looney (Milwaukee/Hamilton) is a hard-playing, lengthy big man.

7. Six centers with great credentials
The centers save the day in terms of impact frontcourt players. Okafor, Alexander, Turner, No. 6 Karl Towns Jr. (Metuchen, N.J./St. Joseph), No. 19 Goodluck Okonoboh (Boston/Wilbraham & Monson) and No. 60 Elbert Robinson (Garland, Texas/Lakeview Centennial) garner mention. Their career arcs are higher than others at their position, and to have this many candidates at the highest level is akin to finding a real, live dinosaur in Delaware. The position is nearly extinct, but a few aircraft carriers remain and this is the year for colleges to add one to the fleet.

8. UNC, Ohio State will be pushed
Tar Heels and Buckeyes fans should be excited. The 2014 recruiting classes they’ve already assembled could stand as elite classes even if neither added another player. Each has three ESPN 100 prospects: UNC with Berry, No. 8 Justin Jackson (Tomball, Texas/Homeschool Christian Youth Association) and No. 13 Theo Pinson (Greensboro, N.C./Wesleyan Christian) and Ohio State with No. 21 Keita Bates-Diop (Bloomington, Ill./University), No. 23 D’Angelo Russell (Louisville, Ky./Montverde) and No. 29 Jae’Sean Tate (Pickerington, Ohio/Pickerington Central). However, we know they’re both still in the market for recruits and will add others. The question is who will push the current top two classes? Kentucky and Kansas -- surprise, right? -- are in the mix with a ton of the top-end talent. When the dust settles, they’ll be factors. So will Duke, as Mike Krzyzewski is involved with four top-10 talents. The Heels and Buckeyes will get pushed and shoved in line. Can they hold their spots?

9. Conference affiliation won’t matter
Realignment is difficult to follow. Even if you’re in the business, you need a reference sheet. Imagine being a recruit. Some unscientific research this spring yielded this conclusion: Recruits no longer care about conference affiliation. They’re making college decisions based on two factors. First, players want to know how and how fast the coach can get them to the NBA. Second, they want a strong relationship with the head coach. The elite players are considering development and the NBA, not conference affiliation. When is the last time you heard a top-25 prospect say the deciding factor was the league? It’s not happening.

10. How many players will wait until the spring?
The trend began in 2009 when the coaching change at Kentucky caused a ripple effect in recruiting. John Wall, Xavier Henry and DeMarcus Cousins were available in the spring, and their impact on recruiting was seismic. Recruits saw the best players in their class wait, receive attention from the media and then make highly publicized decisions. The top players are not afraid of waiting until the spring to make their decisions. Will the Class of 2014 continue the burgeoning trend or buck it and see the elite players commit and sign in the fall? That remains to be seen.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

*EWA: estimated wins added, which estimates wins a player has added to a team's postseason total above what a replacement player would have produced.

1. LeBRON JAMES, HEAT

GP MPG PPG RPG APG BPG SPG PER EWA*
20 41.1 25.1 8.3 6.5 0.9 1.6 27.98 7.2

LeBron has set extremely high standards for himself. He's almost always been the game's best player ever for his age. So when he melted down in the Finals two seasons ago, it was difficult to watch. But the way he has responded since then only helps explain how great a player he has become.

After the first few games against the Spurs, however, we were back to scratching our heads. In a word, LeBron was "pathetic" in Game 3. His ballhandling was poor, his shots were awkward and off balance, and his decision-making was confusing. The Spurs' ploy of guarding the rim and the paint, rather than the Heat players, left everyone but Mike Miller lost in space.

As the primary ball handler and leader of the team, the solution falls on LeBron's capable game. The talk of his legacy is silly. He has about a decade left of playing, so his career is not the issue at this point. What isn't silly is how he plays "today," and as Game 4 unfolded we were reminded, once again, that this is not the LeBron of two seasons ago. Hungry, focused, aggressive, even angry, LeBron showed us not just why he's the best player in the game but also why he's the game's best overall athlete. He dominated with his strength, speed, quickness and overall physical gifts that no player in the league can match.

Though the Spurs hung tough for much of the game, LeBron helped inspire his team to an overwhelming effort that finally broke down the Spurs. His attitude was the key, as it helped him overcome one of the lowest points of his career.

(Previous rank: No. 2 )

2. TONY PARKER, SPURS

18 36.1 20.9 3.6 7.2 0.2 1.1 22.33 3.7

Just as Dwyane Wade must deal with an injury that keeps him from knowing when he'll have "it" and when he won't, so too must Parker. When he's on, he's been the one guy who Miami simply cannot account for. He can drive past anyone the Heat put in front of him, and he is finishing over, under or around them, too. And when Miami floods his path with defenders, Parker is finding his shooters beautifully.

After halftime of Game 4, though, just as Wade has mellowed (probably due to pain) in previous games, Parker just did not have much to offer his team on offense, especially in the fourth quarter with the game on the line. He has not been asked to contribute much on defense, so when he's not able to attack and score he can't help his team much.

Getting the extra day of rest may be the biggest story of the weekend. A rested Parker can be the difference between the Spurs winning a ring or losing three straight Finals games.

(Previous rank: No. 1 )

3. ROY HIBBERT, PACERS

19 36.5 17.0 9.9 1.4 1.9 0.2 21.54 3.8

Both of these Finals teams are flying up and down the floor, with each game seeming like it was played faster than the previous one. Hibbert should take note. The West features teams that fly, and even slower-paced Memphis will likely increase its tempo next season under new coaching.

Hibbert might be the top half-court defender in the East, but he must make sure he can have the same impact in a fast-paced game. Those seeds need to be planted now, so that he is ready next spring.

(Previous rank: No. 4 )

4. DWYANE WADE, HEAT

19 35.1 15.1 4.4 4.7 0.9 1.9 18.86 2.8

Simply marvelous. Stunning. There are few things more incredible to watch than Wade playing the way he did in Game 4. He has been the Heat's best player in this series, but was never able to put together a full game until Thursday night.

Many media members have said that Miami's players should be offended by how little they are being guarded by the Spurs. Wade took that to heart, and then in the most pivotal contribution of Game 4, he allowed his anger to fester on the defensive end.

Wade's intensity on defense gave the already aggressive Miami team the edge it needed to bury the Spurs on offense. He was determined to make plays, and he did, perhaps a dozen great steals, deflections, lane clogs, rotations, etc. Erik Spoelstra elected to keep Wade in after his fourth foul, probably the single-best, in-game decision of the Finals.

Both LeBron and Wade inspired Chris Bosh to play Herculean inside, and it started with their passion on defense. Then, as he's done so often in the past, Wade took over on offense and destroyed the Spurs' game plan of just protecting the paint.

It was such an impressive effort that Spurs coach Gregg Popovich may rethink their defensive schemes, something they did not really do after their loss in Game 2. LeBron is the best player in basketball and has been the best player in this postseason, but Wade is one of the three guys in the running for the MVP of the Finals.

(Previous rank: No. 8 )

5. TIM DUNCAN, SPURS

15 34.5 17.9 9.5 2.3 1.8 0.8 20.74 2.4

Tony Parker and Dwyane Wade are fighting injuries. Tim Duncan is fighting age and elite athlete Chris Bosh. Yet he's been consistently very good to excellent almost every game of these playoffs.

Miami kicked its pace up a notch in Game 4, and though Duncan struggled some to keep pace, he still proved to be the Spurs' best offensive threat. Miami is extending its pressure aggressively, trying to force turnovers and contest deep perimeter shots, and Duncan is making the Heat pay with his scoring ability inside.

He's not the defensive presence he was against Memphis because Miami is attacking (at least in Game 4) off drives rather than mostly post-ups, so the Heat's momentum on those slashes mostly mitigates Duncan's length and positioning.

Game 5 sets up for a battle of the titans, with Parker, Wade and LeBron getting the hype. Duncan, though, is capable of a 20 and 15 game and can carry his team to that win.

(Previous rank: No. 3 )

6. PAUL GEORGE, PACERS

19 41.1 19.2 7.4 5.1 0.5 1.3 16.82 2.5

Interestingly, LeBron's failures against Dallas and now San Antonio can help inspire wing players like George. Young players can take losing too hard, and lose spirit to train harder in the process.

Many people remember Nick Anderson missing big free throws in the clutch moments of his only Finals appearance. He never recovered. George can take strength from much of his postseason play, and should be inspired by his team's ultimate failure to improve his game and come back next season even better prepared to be a difference-maker on offense. And, if he fails next season, too, the process still has to go on.

No matter what happens this week, the Pacers still have to deal with LeBron next season and the ones to follow. An improved George makes that task a little more manageable.

(Previous rank: No. 5 )

Last edited by a moderator:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
7. KAWHI LEONARD, SPURS

18 36.2 12.6 8.6 1.2 0.6 1.7 18.21 2.5

Can Leonard be Paul George? Yes, he can. Based on these playoffs, we see a guy bursting with offensive upside and dripping with all-league defensive chops. He's been a real problem for LeBron, poking at the ball, contesting shots with his arms and huge hands, and using his quickness to make James uncomfortable.

As Manu Ginobili's game flies south, Leonard's game grows. If he can make big strides in the next few games, he'll go a long way to being one of the game's best young wings not named Durant or George.

(Previous rank: N/R )

8. MARC GASOL, GRIZZLIES

15 40.6 17.2 8.5 3.2 2.2 0.9 19.53 2.7

With Lionel Hollins now officially not returning, the search is on for a new boss on the bench. There is no shortage of candidates, but Memphis has something few teams without a coach has: a franchise center.

So this job is uniquely interesting to coaches currently waiting for the "right" job to open. Gasol allows for any style of play: He can rebound and pass in a fast-paced game, anchor an elite defensive squad and shoot and pass from the perimeter. Gasol allows a coach to play four around one, screen-and-roll or any standard NBA offense.

The right coach, one who can either improve Gasol as a paint scorer or add a 3-point shot to his game, can help elevate the current Defensive Player of the Year to be an annual MVP candidate.

(Previous rank: No. 6 )

9. CHRIS BOSH, HEAT

20 32.4 12.7 7.2 1.5 1.6 1.0 17.48 2.2

There are few men on the planet who have the size, athleticism, skill and intelligence that Bosh has. Those talents were easier to see when he was featured nightly for the Raptors. His role in Miami does not give him as many opportunities to show his overall talent. Game 4 changed that, and possibly forever.

Bosh's role demonstrates ferocity inside alongside the ability to knock down perimeter jumpers most of the time, all while covering a ton of ground in half-court defensive coverage. He figured it out in time to help Miami stay alive in the series, and if he can find a way to play that way most nights, no one will ever talk about trading him again. Bosh was simply phenomenal in that game, and he's been very good at other times in the playoffs.

Dwyane Wade and LeBron James steal most of the attention, but rest assured, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich is talking to his team about accounting for Bosh on defense and when Miami has the ball. The Spurs can choose to let Bosh take midrange jumpers, but they can't allow him to get tough paint buckets. And when he is getting those buckets, Miami is a step closer to reaching its devastating potential.

(Previous rank: N/R )

10. STEPHEN CURRY, WARRIORS

12 41.4 23.4 3.8 8.1 0.2 1.7 20.74 2.4

Before it is said and done, it would be fair for Dwight Howard to think about Golden State. And that's because of Steph Curry as much as anything else. Howard needs to be surrounded by men who are both great shooters and willing passers who "see" the game.

Curry is the closest thing to Steve Nash in his prime, and a Curry-Howard pick-and-roll could be devastating. Then consider that David Lee is an excellent midrange jump shooter and Harrison Barnes can play the stretch-four position well.

Curry's ability to shoot and pass at elite levels makes everyone around him better because of the attention he draws when he has the ball. Howard draws similar attention, when he is "right", as he rolls to the rim. Those two men, with shooters on the wings or lifting up to the middle of the floor, can form the backbone of the league's best offense.

(Previous rank: No. 9 )

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Best Big Threes in modern history

The 2013 Finals is not just a championship. It's a battle of Big Threes, old and new.

Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili for the San Antonio Spurs versus LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh for the Miami Heat.

As the star trios have clashed for supremacy for the past five games, we got to thinking:

What's the best Big Three in modern history?

It's a juicy discussion that stretches throughout NBA history and across generations of fans, but there hasn't been a thorough, comprehensive breakdown of the greatest Big Threes in the sport. In 2010, when James announced he'd take his talents to South Beach, Per Diem founder John Hollinger tried his hand at the best Big Three seasons.

But we want to go bigger than that.

In this edition, we're not looking for just the best Big Three individual seasons. We want to put all their seasons together and see which trios have produced the most value over time as stars.

To do that, we first need to lay out the ground rules.

The methodology

If you don't want to peek under the hood, feel free to skip down to the rankings. But if you want to know "Why I Hate Your Favorite Team's Trio," then pay attention to the following and learn how the sausage got made.

For this study, I considered every potential star trio in the NBA since 1974. Why 1974? That's the first season that the NBA officially tracked turnovers. Using that as a starting point allows us to measure each player using the same rubric. Turnovers are a pretty big deal.

So wait. What qualifies as a star trio?

That's a great question with no simple answer. No two people will have the same definition, but we needed a logical framework to systematically tackle this project. Obviously, all three players have to be pretty good. After all, we're looking for a "Big Three," not the "Best Duo With A Scrub Third Wheel."

So how do we distinguish a scrub from a star? First, we'll need a tool to evaluate production. Luckily, we can grab fellow Per Diem maven Kevin Pelton's wins above replacement value metric (WARP), which is a handy all-in-one measure that estimates a player's worth above the guy on the end of the bench (for the nitty-gritty details, check out Pelton's explainer).

To qualify as a star trio in any given season, each of the three players must post at least a 5.0 WARP for that season. A five-win season is a pretty good mark for a player, which is right around what Dirk Nowitzki posted this season (5.6 WARP).

We can point to the 2000 Lakers as "Exhibit A" for why we need this qualification. No doubt Shaquille O'Neal (25.7 WARP) and Kobe Bryant (11.4 WARP) make the cut as members of a potential Big Three, but Robert Horry was closer to a solid role player than a star worthy of a "Big Three" moniker. And WARP agrees; Horry posted a 4.9 WARP that season, just shy of the Big Three cut. And honestly, we remember the 2000 Lakers as a historic one-two punch, not a Big Three, right?

Furthermore, to qualify for Big Three status, a player has to be in the top three on his own team in production. This seems pretty obvious, but it's a critical factor in some recent cases, such as the latest San Antonio Spurs.

We still label the Duncan-Parker-Ginobili trio as a Big Three, but these days that sticky name is mostly rooted in sentimentality, not reality. At this point in Ginobili's career, it's hard to justify that he's the third-best player on the Spurs considering the work that Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green (your new Finals series 3-point record-holder) have put in on both ends of the floor. Thus, the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker trio does not qualify the past two seasons.

Once we've isolated the Big Threes for each season since 1974, we sum up all of their qualified campaigns together -- both in the regular season and postseason -- to come up with a cumulative WARP figure. That number will measure each trio's longevity and sustained excellence.

One note about the cumulative WARP: We also wanted to reward trios for their postseason success. So we added a 25-WARP bonus for winning the title as a qualified Big Three and 10-WARP bonus if they lost in the Finals. Historically, Big Threes are somewhat defined by their ring count, but we didn't want it to be the be-all, end-all.

To avoid overvaluing Big Threes that just stayed together for a long time and didn't necessarily hit high levels of production, we also incorporated an average WARP in addition to the cumulative WARP score. We blended the two figures together (a straight 50-50 split) to arrive at a Composite WARP score.

Still with me?

Good. Because the rankings are below.

(No doubt you'll have questions about some missing trios. I'll address at the bottom.)

On to the list …

10. Shaquille O'Neal, Penny Hardaway, Nick Anderson | Orlando Magic

Composite WARP: 107.1 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1994-96)

Cumulative WARP: 160.7 | Average WARP: 53.6

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 1

Believe it or not, this is Shaq's only appearance in the top 10. Throughout his Lakers days, he never really had a consistent third wheel that was good enough to push him and Kobe Bryant into this exclusive club. And in Miami, it was more of the same. Ultimately, Shaq was usually a member of some amazing Big Twos, but not a Big Three.

But Orlando was the lone exception. As three young studs in the league who reached the Finals together, the trio of O'Neal-Hardaway-Anderson was ripe for long-term dominance, but that core was broken up due to Shaq's desire to play under the bright lights of Hollywood.

9. Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, James Worthy | L.A. Lakers

Composite WARP: 126.5 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1985-87)

Cumulative WARP: 189.7 | Average WARP: 63.2

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0

You might have expected this group to rank higher, but the peaks of each individual's career were staggered. At the height of their powers, this Lakers trio could have easily rivaled some of the all-time greats.

But Magic-Kareem-Worthy just barely cracked the top 10 because of Byron Scott's ascension in 1987-88 when he led the Lakers in scoring, which also coincided with Abdul-Jabbar's long-awaited decline from stardom. When the Lakers won the title in 1988 with Pat Riley on the sidelines, the Big Three had already morphed into more of a Big Four.

8. Clyde Drexler, Jerome Kersey, Terry Porter | Portland Trail Blazers

Composite WARP: 135.8 | Qualified seasons: 5 (1987-90, '92)

Cumulative WARP: 226.4 | Average WARP: 48.3

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2

Don't think of this Blazers trio as a Big Three? Think again. Clyde Drexler and two-time All-Star Terry Porter made up one of the best backcourts of the Jordan era, and Jerome Kersey was no slouch either. Most youngsters these days remember Kersey as the washed-up vet on the 1999 Spurs championship squad, but Kersey was a big-time rebounder and defender at small forward for the Blazers and helped push them to two Finals appearances.

If the rise of this Blazers' core hadn't run parallel with the "Bad Boy" Pistons and Jordan's Bulls, we probably would think of them much differently.

7. LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh | Miami Heat

Composite WARP: 145.3 | Qualified seasons: 3 (2011-13)

Cumulative WARP: 218.0 | Average WARP: 72.7

Championships as Big Three: 1 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2*

*2012-13 inclusive

We're giving them only the Finals bonus now, but wins in Games 6 and 7 over the Spurs would push the Heatles into the top five. LeBron-Wade-Bosh have been talked about as possibly the best Big Three of all time, but they'll need a few more years (and championships) to enter that conversation.

Right now, they rank second among trios that played just three seasons together (behind No. 5 on this list), but their all-time ranking could hinge on what happens this week. If they rally to win the Finals, they'll be on track to be the best ever. If they lose one of the next two games, it might portend an early breakup. If that's the case, the only superlative that this trio should receive is "most-hyped."

6. Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom | Los Angeles Lakers

Composite WARP: 147.9 | Qualified seasons: 4 (2008-11)

Cumulative WARP: 236.6 | Average WARP: 37.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 1

Most folks would see Andrew Bynum as the third wheel next to Kobe and Gasol, but Bynum's injury troubles early in his career made Odom the more valuable player during the Lakers' championship runs, according to WARP. Odom's recent demise shouldn't cloud what was an incredible run with the Lakers.

People forget that Odom was the starter for the 2008 Finals team and only moved to the bench to let Bynum start thereafter. With Bynum ailing in the 2009 Finals, Odom's double-doubles and floor spacing were huge against Dwight Howard and the Magic. If Manu Ginobili can be considered a Big Three member while coming off the bench, so should Odom.

5. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc | Chicago Bulls

Composite WARP: 154.1 | Qualified seasons: 3 (1996-98)

Cumulative WARP: 231.2 | Average WARP: 77.1

Championships as Big Three: 3 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0

The second-best Big Three of Jordan's Bulls. No need to rehash how dominant the Jordan-Pippen duo was during their reign, but Kukoc was often Jordan's second fiddle, especially in the 1998 Finals when Pippen dealt with back problems and Kukoc led the Bulls with 30 points in Game 5.

Some might argue that Dennis Rodman deserves the third spot over Kukoc here, but it's hard to capture Rodman's defensive presence in numbers, not to mention the fact that he was well past his prime. You could say that the Bulls don't repeat the three-peat in 1996-98 without Rodman, but the same could be true for Kukoc, who was the 1996 Sixth Man of the Year and the team's third-leading scorer during that time. Don't discount "The Waiter."

4. Karl Malone, John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek | Utah Jazz

Composite WARP: 189.2 | Qualified seasons: 6 (1994-99)

Cumulative WARP: 324.4 | Average WARP: 54.1

Championships as Big Three: 0 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2

If this trio played at any point in NBA history other than Michael Jordan's era, they'd probably be known as the model for Duncan-Parker-Ginobili. But of course, the general public tends to be blinded by the shiny rings the Jazz trio unfortunately never received. Their cumulative WARP of 324.4 ranked third in modern history.

A former All-Star and one of the premier shooters of his time, Hornacek probably doesn't garner the recognition that he deserves. The guy was a beacon of efficiency and nearly joined the 50-40-90 club in field goal percentage, free throw percentage and 3-point percentage, respectively, during his entire run with the Jazz. Easily the best Big Three to never win the title.

3. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili | San Antonio Spurs

Composite WARP: 193.0 | Qualified seasons: 7 (2004-09, '11)

Cumulative WARP: 337.8 | Average WARP: 48.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits Big Three: 0

Though this trio has been together for 11 seasons, they only qualified for seven of those because of Ginobili's slight decline as he entered his mid-30s. If you're willing to ignore that Ginobili hasn't been on the court very much the past few seasons and may not be one of the best three players on his own team anymore, you could make the argument that they belong at No. 1 on this list.

Still, this is an amazing run for the Spurs' triumvirate. Regardless of what happens in the next few days, we'll be talking about the Spurs' model for years to come. And it's all because of this trio's unassuming yet unrelenting dominance.

2. Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Horace Grant | Chicago Bulls

Composite WARP: 198.7 | Qualified seasons: 4 (1990-93)

Cumulative WARP score: 318.0 | Average WARP: 79.5

Championships as Big Three: 3 | Finals exits as Big Three: 0

No Big Three has posted a better average WARP than this squad. Though Grant may not have been as productive as Bosh is next to James and Wade, the power forward was certainly worthy of star status and was recognized as such when he was named to the 1994 All-Star squad.

What keeps this trio from nabbing the top spot is that they spent only four seasons together at an elite level before Jordan decided to go to Alabama and play minor league baseball. Had Jordan not gotten the itch to hit the diamond, this may have gone down as the best trio ever. But alas …

1. Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish | Boston Celtics

Composite WARP: 226.5 | Qualified seasons: 8 (1982-87, 1990-91)

Cumulative WARP: 402.7 | Average WARP: 50.3

Championships as Big Three: 2 | Finals exits as Big Three: 2

What do you get when three Hall of Famers play together for about a decade during their primes? The top spot on this list. Injuries to Larry Bird and Danny Ainge's rise interrupted this Celtics core's run of excellence in the 1980s. But eight seasons of elite Big Three status? No one else can claim that.

While Bird-McHale-Parish might not have touched the towering heights of the Heat's or the Bulls' trios, no one rivals these three C's in sustained brilliance. And as the league continues to discourage the assembly of superstars on the same team, we may never see anything like this group again.