Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Matur Maker makes his mark
By: Jonathan Givony

Thon Maker's brother, Matur Maker, had an outstanding weekend at Adidas Nations, leading Asia Pacific to the championship game where the team lost to Zion Williamson and a host of elite high school recruits. The South Sudan native, by way of Australia, averaged 26 points in 28 minutes per game through six contests, getting to the free throw line 14 times per game.

A year or two older than most of the high school players he matched up against, Maker's aggressiveness and hunger for scoring stood out in this setting. He was utilized frequently in isolation situations against opposing big men, changing speeds powerfully, getting low with his dribble and showing some real wiggle with the ball. Maker attacks the rim ferociously at every opportunity, not being afraid of contact. While not a high-flyer, he's quick off his feet and likes to throw his body around. He made some nice plays passing on the move, even if he also had some wild moments throwing the ball around carelessly, as his feel for the game is still a work in progress.

Standing 6-10, with a 7-2 wingspan, Maker has good size and length for a power forward, but has only added three pounds to his lanky 195-pound frame since April 2015, according to official measurements. His thin lower body is a concern projecting forward to the pro game, as he is very upright in his stance defensively and gets knocked off balance easily. We had the same concerns about his brother, though, and Thon has been able to overcome that quite nicely, having a strong rookie season in the NBA.

Besides his frame and defense, the biggest key to Maker's outlook might be the development of his outside shot. He hit just 5 of the 21 3-pointers he attempted in Houston, sporting a slow and low release with just average touch. However, he has always been a good shooter from the free throw line, so it's possible that he can continue to develop this part of his game.

Graduating high school this winter in Canada right before he turns 20 years old, Maker will apply for an NCAA waiver and attempt to take the college route, according to his guardian, Ed Smith. Should that not materialize, due to complications with his eligibility, one option could be to head to Serbia to play for prospect factory Mega Leks, with an eye toward entering the 2019 NBA draft. Maker has been training intensely with his brother, giving him access to an NBA coaching staff. That should speed up his growth considerably.

Makur Maker -- the youngest player on the Asia Pacific team -- also had a strong weekend, averaging 19 points and 13 rebounds per 40 minutes in 18 minutes per game. At 16 years old, Makur has a projectable frame that should fill out in time, with a more developed upper and lower body than his cousins, Thon and Matur, showed at the same age.

Makur has an intriguing skill level, capable of making face-up jumpers with a nice-looking stroke while handling the ball and finding the open man in transition. He does a nice job of covering ground defensively as well, especially on the pick-and-roll, where he can hedge out well past the 3-point line and recover in time to make a play at the rim. Makur is still working on improving his awareness-level and feel for the game, as he tends to play outside his comfort zone at times and can be a step-slow to react defensively.

Makur will play at GTA Prep in Toronto next year, according to his guardian, Smith, and is on the NCAA track, currently slated to graduate high school in 2020 after reclassifying.

Latin American clinic
One of the highlights of the weekend was watching the Latin America squad come together as a team and notch three wins over elite U.S. and Canadian prospects, finishing in third place.

Composed of players aged 17-19 from Brazil, Argentina, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, Uruguay and Puerto Rico -- and coached by former NCAA assistant Walter Roese -- the Latin America team played organized, disciplined and fundamentally sound basketball, putting on a clinic for the younger North Americans on the importance of sharing the ball, competing hard on defense, boxing out and other small details that make a difference at the highest levels.

The addition of such a diverse team is one of the things that makes Nations an essential event for NBA teams to scout. It would cost tens of thousands of dollars and be extremely time-consuming for scouts to travel all around South America watching these prospects, and the fact that they compete against the best U.S. high school players makes for an excellent evaluation setting. It also forces the Americans to operate at their highest intensity after a long summer of AAU basketball, as these international players come hungry to show themselves and don't take possessions off.

Yago Dos Santos, a 5-9 point guard fresh off winning rookie of the year honors in Brazil, was perhaps the most entertaining player at the camp. A jet with the ball, he punished lazy U.S. big man defenders with pull-up 3-pointers for not stepping out on the pick-and-roll, and also did a great job of finding the open man in drive-and-dish situations. He also hit a ridiculous 27 of 58 3-pointers in just six games in Houston, some of which came from NBA range.

His primary target for passes was chiseled Brazilian big man (of Nigerian descent) Michael Uchendu, who gave highly touted 2019 recruit Charles Bassey (also Nigerian) fits on the offensive glass by simply playing harder and being more physical. Uchendu averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds per game in six contests in Houston, although the fact that he was a year or two older and significantly more mature physically certainly contributed to that.

A third Brazilian, Gabriel Galvanini (who goes by Jau), was the team's Swiss Army knife, making timely 3s, finding the open man, guarding multiple positions, throwing his mature frame around in the paint, and rebounding at an excellent clip. If he can consistently guard perimeter players and develop a more reliable jump shot, he could emerge as an NBA prospect down the road thanks to his strong feel for the game.

Jonathan Salazar, a 6-5 bulldog of a combo forward from Panama who goes to high school in California, guarded everyone from point guards to big men, rebounded ferociously and made plays in the open floor using his athleticism and toughness. He will likely see his recruitment skyrocket after the way he shut down highly touted U.S. prospects at this event.

NBA Global Academy begins to reap fruit
One of the most ambitious ventures undertaken by the NBA in recent years is the Global Academies initiative. The NBA is actively scouting and recruiting elite-level talent around the world to join their six academies in China, India and Senegal, with the goal of giving emerging prospects a pathway to high-level education and professional basketball. The NBA Global Academy is headquartered in Canberra, Australia, at the renowned BA Centre of Excellence, where a handful of prospects from South America, Asia, India and Africa spent much of 2017.

Arguably their most promising talent at the moment is a big man from Cameroon, Jonathan Tchamwa Tchatchoua, who only started playing basketball in 2015. We first watched Tchamwa Tchatchoua in February at the NBA Basketball Without Borders Global Camp in New Orleans during All-Star Weekend. We were amazed to see the progress he made in just six months, as he completely reconstructed his shooting mechanics (making 3-pointers impressively in warmups and even one in-game), and showed better hands and much softer touch around the basket.

He mentioned that the goal at the NBA Academy is to take at least 4,000 shots per week, of which he tries to make at least 2,500. That hasn't translated fully to game settings yet, as his production was up and down at the event -- not entirely surprising considering he has barely played in any organized 5-on-5 contests in his short basketball career

JTT, as he's affectionately called, impressed nevertheless with his tremendous physical tools. He has a 7-2½ wingspan, tree trunks for legs and impressive athleticism, being quick off his feet, a menace running the floor in transition and powerful with his finishes thanks to his 38-inch vertical leap. He sets bruising screens, showed the ability to switch onto guards, contains big men in the post with his strength and is a monster on the glass. Best of all, his intangibles appear to be off the charts, as he immediately established himself as the team's translator, leader and hardest worker, asking the many coaches in attendance for extra instruction and the chance to get shots up before and after practices.

Graduating high school in December 2018 in Australia, JTT told us after a game that he's planning on going to college in 2019 (possibly in January), and his improved grades and English may even land him a scholarship with an elite-level academic school. He appears to be the perfect case study for the NBA Global Academy and its future.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NBA mock draft: Crowded race for the No. 1 pick in 2018

The 2018 NBA draft got an extra boost of star power with Marvin Bagley's reclassification on Monday. But Bagley is just one of seven players with a legitimate shot to be the next No. 1 pick.

Here's our debut 2018 mock draft, featuring picks for both rounds.

The ESPN Summer Forecast was used to project draft order.

1. Chicago Bulls
20504.jpg

Michael Porter
Missouri
Freshman
SF/PF

i

Porter's size, shot-creation skill and scoring instincts will make him a coveted prospect next June. He's a playmaker on both ends of the floor who is just starting to figure out how to put his talent to full use. NBA scouts will want to see him lead Missouri to the NCAA tournament while playing efficient basketball on both ends of the floor.

2. Boston Celtics (via Nets)
i

Marvin Bagley
Duke
Freshman
PF/C

i

Bagley is a fluid athlete with a natural feel for scoring, rebounding and blocking shots, which helps him post elite numbers at the high school and AAU level. He's a terror in the open court and very difficult for opposing big men to stay in front of in one-on-one situations, getting him to the free throw line at an excellent rate. NBA teams will want to see how easily he'll be able to make the transition to the intensity level of the college game and get a better gauge for his defense and outside shooting potential.

3. Atlanta Hawks
i

DeAndre Ayton
Arizona
Freshman
C

i

Ayton has elite physical tools, standing 7 feet tall with a 7-foot-5.5 wingspan and an excellent frame. He also is fairly skilled offensively, showing potential as a finisher and jump-shooter. NBA scouts question his motor and defensive awareness, things they'll be monitoring closely at Arizona.

4. Phoenix Suns
20505.jpg

Luka Doncic
Real Madrid
SG

i

Doncic posted historic numbers in the Euroleague, Spanish ACB for a 17-year old, thanks to an incredibly high basketball IQ and polished skill set that allows him to play both backcourt positions. He will now be asked to take his game to the next level, as he's finally NBA draft-eligible, which won't be an easy task. Scouts wonder if he's athletic enough to guard his position and create his own shot quite as seamlessly in the NBA as he does in Europe.

5. Sacramento Kings
20468.jpg

Robert Williams
Texas A&M
Sophomore
PF/C

i

Williams is a physical specimen with an NBA body, 7-foot-4 wingspan and tremendous athleticism. He has impressive potential as a rim-protector and pick-and-roll finisher but also shows some ability to pass the ball and even make perimeter jumpers. As a late bloomer, Williams' polish, feel for the game and consistent productivity are still catching up to his potential and tools.

6. Orlando Magic
20379.jpg

Miles Bridges
Michigan State
Sophomore
SF/PF

i

Bridges is arguably the best athlete in this draft and plays a coveted position as a two-way forward who can guard all over the floor. He converted 39 percent of his 3-pointers as a freshman and is making strides with his ball-handling and playmaking abilities as well. After passing up the chance to be a lottery pick in last year's draft, Bridges will be expected to show significant improvement while leading Michigan State on a deep NCAA tournament run.

7. New York Knicks
20509.jpg

Mohamed Bamba
Texas
Freshman
C

i

Bamba has a 7-foot-9 wingspan that would be the longest of any player currently in the NBA. He's a solid basketball player as well, with good hands, impressive timing as a shot-blocker and rebounder and more offensive ability than you might expect. Bamba doesn't always operate at maximum intensity, and there are some question marks about his toughness.

8. Indiana Pacers
20510.jpg

Collin Sexton
Alabama
Freshman
PG

i

Sexton is a scoring machine who produced a point per minute in both the Nike EYBL and FIBA competition with USA Basketball. He's an exceptional athlete with a 6-foot-7 wingspan and the type of aggressiveness and nasty streak you want to see in a lead guard. His decision-making, court vision and leadership skills need refinement and are the things NBA scouts will be monitoring at Alabama under head coach Avery Johnson.

9. Philadelphia 76ers (via Lakers)
20524.jpg

Jaren Jackson
Michigan State
Freshman
PF/C

i

A big man with elite physical tools in terms of size, frame, wingspan and athleticism, Jackson has budding skills with his ability to shoot 3-pointers, protect the rim and even create his own shot on occasion. He's still putting it all together on a consistent basis. His toughness and feel for the game are a work in progress.

10. Dallas Mavericks
20507.jpg

Wendell Carter
Duke
Freshman
PF/C

i

Carter is a physically mature big man with a 257-pound frame and a 7-foot-3 wingspan, which allows him to play the center position with ease. He's a polished player with excellent hands and touch around the basket who has relied heavily on his strength until this point in his career. Can he continue to score and rebound at a high rate against older players as well?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
11. Memphis Grizzlies
20508.jpg

Trevon Duval
Duke
Freshman
PG

i

The Duke freshman is a quick-twitch athlete with great size, a strong frame and a 6-foot-9.5 wingspan, allowing him to defend either guard position. He's explosive in transition and capable of playing at different speeds in the half court, though he's extremely limited as a shooter and needs to work on his decision-making skills as well.

12. Detroit Pistons
20491.jpg

Bruce Brown
Miami
Sophomore
SG

i

Brown is a hard-working combo guard with long arms and good athleticism, playing the game in attack mode on both ends of the floor. He's also a lockdown defender and a capable shooter, but does he score enough to project as a starter in the NBA? One knock on Brown: The sophomore is the same age (21) as some seniors.

13. New Orleans Pelicans
20531.jpg

Lonnie Walker
Miami
Freshman
SG

i

A long-armed shooting guard with a strong frame and impressive athleticism, Walker has strong 3-and-D attributes but has shown flashes of being able to do more. He needs to improve his ballhandling and shot creation. His assertiveness and effort also come and go at times.

14. Portland Trail Blazers
20527.jpg

Mitchell Robinson
College: TBD
Freshman
C

i

Robinson is a freakishly athletic 7-footer with a big wingspan and an impressive frame who plays quick off his feet with solid hands and touch. However, his on-court awareness and feel for the game are very underdeveloped. He left Western Kentucky after a handful of practices, and now his situation is in flux. Did NBA scouts see enough on the all-star circuit to draft him in the top 20?

15. Philadelphia 76ers
20442.jpg

Justin Jackson
Maryland
Sophomore
SF/PF

i

The Maryland sophomore is a versatile combo forward who can even play some small-ball center, thanks to his strong frame and 7-foot-3 wingspan. Jack has made steady improvement defensively and as a 3-point shooter, making him easy to project to today's NBA game. He needs to continue to improve his feel for the game and ball-handling ability.

16. Charlotte Hornets
r244357_130x180_smallmug.jpg

Dzanan Musa
Cedevita
SF

i

A precocious European wing with tremendous size and scoring instincts, Musa is already putting up big numbers at a very high level of competition. He's an aggressive player who can put up points from anywhere on the floor and plays with a level of confidence and swagger that will make his transition to the NBA game easier. He lacks length, negating his size to a certain degree and limiting his defensive potential. Plus, he's a just OK athlete who lets his emotions get the best of him at times.

17. Phoenix Suns (via Heat)

20525.jpg

Troy Brown
Oregon
Freshman
SG

i

Thanks to his strong frame and 6-foot-11 wingspan, Brown is a Swiss-army knife who can play anywhere from 1-4. He's a good passer, ball handler and defender with a competitive streak and good feel for the game. He lacks elite athleticism and is a very streaky shooter.

18. Utah Jazz
20463.jpg

Hamidou Diallo
Kentucky
Sophomore
SG

i

Diallo is an athletic shooting guard with a massive, 6-foot-11 wingspan who is highly explosive in the open court. He also brings significant potential defensively, though he's a very poor shooter and just a rudimentary ball-handler in the half court.

19. LA Clippers
20360.jpg

Mikal Bridges
Villanova
Junior
SF

i

Bridges is a prototypical 3-and-D wing with good size, a 7-foot-1 wingspan and an improving frame. He's a highly efficient player on both ends of the floor and a multipositional defender. However, his skill level is still a work in progress, in terms of shot creation and ability to shoot off the dribble.

20. Denver Nuggets
20411.jpg

Chimezie Metu
USC
Junior
Center

i

The USC junior is a mobile big man with a strong frame and high-level athleticism. He has shown flashes offensively both facing and with his back to the basket. His soft hands and touch help him knock down an occasional midrange jumper, though he doesn't always play hard enough, considering his projected role and that his defensive toughness and intensity come and go. He also doesn't rebound at a great clip. Metu has upside but will need to translate that into more consistent production this season.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
21. Brooklyn Nets (via Raptors)
20410.jpg

Rodions Kurucs
Barcelona
SF/PF

i

The big wing/combo forward has a nice frame and an intriguing skill set. He's a capable shooter with a fluid stroke off the catch. Kurucs can create his own shot from the perimeter and is a solid passer, but his defensive intensity wavers, and his jumper is prone to streakiness. Will he see enough minutes in the ACB this season to prove he's worth a first-round selection?

22. Milwaukee Bucks
i

Nick Richards
Kentucky
Freshman
C

i

A 7-footer with a tremendous frame and a 7-foot-4 wingspan, Richards is quick off his feet and fluid in the open floor. He shows flashes with his footwork and touch in the post and has timing as a shot-blocker. His motor runs hot and cold, though, and he isn't very polished on either end of the floor.

23. Atlanta Hawks (via Timberwolves)
20347.jpg

Shake Milton
SMU
Junior
PG

i

The big point guard has the size, length and frame to defend both backcourt positions with his 7-foot wingspan. He's a career 3-point shooter at the college level and very versatile with his ability to shoot, pass and guard, but he has somewhat of a vanilla approach to the game. His defensive intensity tends to waver.

24. Washington Wizards
20233.jpg

Grayson Allen
Duke
Senior
SG

i

Allen is a high-level shot maker coming off a down year at Duke, partially due to injuries and a variety distractions. He has deep range on his jumper and can make shots off the bounce from well beyond NBA range. The senior is a vertically explosive leaper but doesn't have much side-to-side wiggle and struggles to guard anyone, even at the college level, due to his poor size, length and lateral quickness.

25. Minnesota Timberwolves (via Thunder)
Isaac Bonga
Frankfurt
PG/SF

i

A 6-foot-9 point guard with a 7-foot wingspan and an excellent feel for the game, Bonga uses his size to see over the top of the defense and find teammates with creativity. He has great instincts and versatility defensively, perhaps his biggest value at the NBA level. He also plays hard and has toughness. However, he is limited by his lack of quickness and almost complete inability to shoot from the perimeter. He needs the ball in his hands but struggles to get by better defenders.

26. Cleveland Cavaliers
20474.jpg

De'Anthony Melton
USC
Sophomore
PG/SG

i

Melton is a tough-minded combo guard who fills up the stat sheet and guards at a high level. The high-IQ passer keeps the offense flowing and is instinctual on the glass and getting in the passing lanes. He has also shown flashes as a shooter, though he struggles to utilize his athleticism due to his extremely poor ball-handling skills and plays at just one speed. Can he take the next step in his development offensively and shoulder a bigger role?

27. San Antonio Spurs
i

Austin Wiley
Auburn
Sophomore
PF

i

Wiley stands 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-5 wingspan, a 9-foot-1 standing reach and a chiseled 250-pound frame. He has improved his motor, feel for the game and conditioning dramatically. He's an outstanding offensive rebounder with soft hands and touch. But he plays below the rim and struggles to step out onto the perimeter, protect the rim, pass out of double teams or score outside of the paint, which makes him a very old-fashioned big man, the type that isn't really en vogue in today's NBA.

28. Boston Celtics
i

Tyus Battle
Syracuse
Sophomore
SG

i

A solid-sized wing with a frame that will fill out nicely in time, Battle has some untapped potential athletically. He made 37 percent of his 3s as a freshman, but he struggles to create his own shot in the half court. He also doesn't have great awareness defensively.

29. Atlanta Hawks (via Rockets)
i

Brandon McCoy
UNLV
Freshman
Center

i

McCoy is a 7-footer with a massive 250-pound frame and a big standing reach. He can operate with his back to the basket using footwork, touch and body control. He's also aggressive on the offensive glass. Still, McCoy needs to improve his on-court decision-making, and he's somewhat of a black hole offensively. He also really struggles to make his presence felt defensively, especially stepping outside the paint.

30. Golden State Warriors
20436.jpg

Andrew Jones
Texas
Sophomore
PG

i

The physically talented guard stands 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-6.5 wingspan. He's a good athlete, especially in the open court, who shows some nice versatility with his ability to handle, pass, guard multiple positions and make an occasional open 3-pointer. However, he didn't do anything consistently as a freshman and needs to improve his decision-making skills and off the dribble shooting ability to take on more ball-handling responsibilities.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Round 2
31. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Bulls)

Abdoulaye N'doye, SG, Age: 19, Chalon

32. Philadelphia 76ers (via Nets)

Tadas Sedekerskis, SF, Age: 19.5, Baskonia

33. Atlanta Hawks

Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, SG, Sr., Kansas

34. Phoenix Suns

V.J. King, SF, So., Louisville

35. Sacramento Kings

Arnoldas Kulboka, SF, Age: 19, Bamberg

36. Orlando Magic

Devonte' Graham, PG, Sr., Kansas

37. Philadelphia 76ers (via Knicks)

Allonzo Trier, SG, Jr., Arizona

38. Brooklyn Nets (via Pacers)

Ray Spalding, PF, Jr., Louisville

39. Brooklyn Nets (via Lakers)

Ethan Happ, PF, Jr., Wisconsin

40. Dallas Mavericks

Vince Edwards, SF, Sr., Purdue

41. Memphis Grizzlies

Jacob Evans, SF, Jr., Cincinnati

42. Detroit Pistons

Kostja Mushidi, SG, Age: 19, Mega Bemax

43. New Orleans Pelicans

Donta Hall, PF, Jr., Alabama

44. Denver Nuggets (via Blazers)

Aaron Holiday, PG, Jr., UCLA

45. Philadelphia 76ers

Bonzie Colson, PF, Sr., Notre Dame

46. Memphis Grizzlies (via Hornets)

Rawle Alkins, SG, So., Arizona

47. Houston Rockets (via Heat)

Anas Mahmoud, C, Sr., Louisville

48. Utah Jazz

Moritz Wagner, C, Jr., Michigan

49. New York Knicks (via Clippers)

Tryggvi Hlinason, C, Age: 19, Valencia

50. Los Angeles Lakers (via Nuggets)

Drew Eubanks, C, Jr., Oregon State

51. Phoenix Suns (via Raptors)

Felipe Dos Anjos, C, Age: 19, Real Madrid

52. Milwaukee Bucks

Isaac Haas, C, Sr., Purdue

53. Minnesota Timberwolves

Alize Johnson, PF, Sr., Missouri State

54. Washington Wizards

Keita Bates-Diop, SF, Sr., Ohio State

55. Oklahoma City Thunder

Chandler Hutchison, SG, Sr., Boise State

56. Charlotte Hornets (via Cavaliers)

Theo Pinson, SF, Sr., North Carolina

57. San Antonio Spurs

DJ Hogg, SF, Jr., Texas A&M

58. Oklahoma City Thunder (via Celtics)

Jeffrey Carroll, SF, Sr., Oklahoma State

59. Philadelphia 76ers (via Rockets)

Vasilis Charalampopoulos, SF, Age: 20, PAOK

60. Denver Nuggets (via Warriors)

Johnathan Williams, PF, Sr., Gonzaga

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Before the paywall, there seems to be a 2-page printable cheat sheet. Is that one visible or available to you?
Nah, there is no cheat sheet on the link you gave. It's just a paragraph talking about the links I showed:

2017 Insider fantasy football cheat sheet
ESPN has some of the brightest minds in fantasy football, but it can be tough to read every article we publish all summer. In order to help you prepare for your drafts as quickly as possible, we provide you with the Insider cheat sheet, which brings together all of the best analysis from Insider's fantasy experts to help win your league, including:

• Eric Karabell's player tiers and breakouts for QB, RB and WR
  • Karabell's "Do Not Draft" list
  • Mike Clay's projections for players most likely to seriously increase or decrease their touchdowns
  • Clay's wide receivers with the best and worst matchups
  • Adam Schefter's "friends and family" cheat sheet
  • KC Joyner's offensive line rankings
  • Our Insiders' sleepers, breakouts and busts
  • A printable, two-sheet PDF with all the information in one place
This file will be updated regularly from now through the start of the season, so you'll have the latest info and analysis no matter when you draft -- and we'll keep adding new Insider content as it becomes available. (Most recent update: Sept. 1)

Here it is: Insider's fantasy football draft cheat sheet for the 2017 season.

Daps
Reppin
404bywayof305
Nah, there is no cheat sheet on the link you gave. It's just a paragraph talking about the links I showed:

2017 Insider fantasy football cheat sheet

• A printable, two-sheet PDF with all the information in one place
This file will be updated regularly from now through the start of the season, so you'll have the latest info and analysis no matter when you draft -- and we'll keep adding new Insider content as it becomes available. (Most recent update: Sept. 1)

Here it is: Insider's fantasy football draft cheat sheet for the 2017 season.

Just that PDF but I can't find a direct link to it before the paywall :(