Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

18. Los Angeles Chargers

Da'Shawn Hand, DT, Alabama

A highly ranked recruit in 2014, Hand should get more playing time in 2017, after Alabama lost four players from its dominant front seven to the NFL draft.

i

19. Detroit Lions
Bradley Chubb, DE, NC State

Chubb's 21.5 tackles for loss last season (including 10 sacks) tied for sixth nationally last season. He also had seven QB hurries.

i

20. New York Giants
Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson*

At 6-foot-5 and 265 pounds, Ferrell has ideal size, and he made an immediate impact for the Tigers in his first season on the field. His 12.5 tackles for loss tied for third overall on Clemson's defense.

i

21. Baltimore Ravens
Antonio Callaway, WR, Florida*

Callaway comes with character concerns -- he was accused of sexual assault and admitted to using drugs -- but he's freakishly talented. I'm interested to see how he handles himself both on and off the field this season.

i

22. Buffalo Bills*
Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State

Lewis (6-foot-4, 265 pounds) has been a consistent performer for the Buckeyes, leading the team with eight sacks in each of the past two seasons.

*Acquired in a trade with the Chiefs

i

23. Arizona Cardinals
Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

The Cardinals will probably be in the QB market, but I'm not comfortable putting a name here that I'll regret three weeks from now, when I actually have time to watch the tape (as was the case with Mitch Leidner last year). McGlinchey had a chance to be a first-rounder this season, but he opted to return to school.

i

24. Atlanta Falcons
Courtland Sutton, WR, SMU*

Listed at 6-foot-4, 210 pounds, Sutton has ideal size. He has averaged nearly 17 yards per catch and scored 19 touchdowns the past two seasons.

i

25. Tennessee Titans
Cameron Smith, ILB, USC*

As a true freshman in 2015, Smith led the Trojans in solo tackles despite missing the final four games of the season because of a knee injury. He bounced back from the injury in 2016, showing more playmaking ability, including seven tackles for loss and again leading the team in solo takedowns with 45.

i

26. Carolina Panthers
Sam Hubbard, DE, Ohio State*

Hubbard, who is 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, was disruptive in his first season as a full-time starter, posting eight tackles for loss and four QB hurries.

i

27. Oakland Raiders
Derrius Guice, RB, LSU*

Guice popped while filling in for an injured Leonard Fournette last season, averaging 7.58 yards per carry (the third-highest among FBS running backs with at least 175 carries). He scored a TD once every 12 carries.

i

28. Dallas Cowboys
Vita Vea, DT, Washington*

At 332 pounds, Vea is a massive body to move in the middle of the defensive line. He flashed some pass-rushing potential last season, with five sacks.

i

29. Green Bay Packers
Deon Cain, WR, Clemson*

Listed at 6-foot-1 and 210 pounds, Cain is a true big-play threat. He averaged 19 yards per catch last season for the Tigers. He should see more targets in 2017 with Mike Williams no longer in town.

i

30. Pittsburgh Steelers
Iman Marshall, CB, USC*

Marshall has showed a promising skill set, starting 25 of 27 possible games in two seasons at USC. He has six interceptions and 17 pass breakups in that time.

i

31. Seattle Seahawks
Orlando Brown, OT, Oklahoma*

Brown is the son of Orlando Brown, who played nine NFL seasons and died in 2011. Like his dad, Brown is a mammoth left tackle prospect, listed at 6-foot-8, 360 pounds. He has started all 26 games for the Sooners the past two seasons.

i

32. New England Patriots
Da'Ron Payne, DL, Alabama

At 6-foot-2 and 319 pounds, Payne should get more work in the middle of Alabama's defensive line now that Dalvin Tomlinson is no longer in town.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Should Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz be No. 1 in the 2017 draft?

As the high-stakes NBA draft lottery approaches for teams like the Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers, the question of who should be the No. 1 pick remains unresolved: Is it Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball?

Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton make a case for each player and give their verdicts, and identify potential sleeper picks.

The case for Fultz

Chad Ford: While there are a lot of terrific draft prospects, Washington's Markelle Fultz and UCLA's Lonzo Ball look like the two main contenders for the No. 1 spot.

I surveyed lottery teams several weeks ago to get a feel for who each team would select if they had the No. 1 pick. While no teams had decided, and all were still collecting data, it was a split decision. Seven teams leaned toward Fultz. Seven teams leaned toward Ball. If you added up the lottery odds for each of those teams, Fultz had a 57.2 percent chance of getting selected No. 1.

But that's talking about what teams might do. Today, Kevin, let's talk about what they should do.

Let's start with Fultz. He played at Washington, in your backyard, and you got to see him a lot. What's the case you would make to an NBA front office for why Fultz should be the No. 1 pick?

Kevin Pelton: From a statistical standpoint, I think it starts with something I mentioned when we discussed Ball vs. Fultz during the season: Fultz really has no weaknesses statistically.

The way I define that is whether the player's projection in 10 key categories is in the bottom 25 percent of NBA-bound players at his position. The closest Fultz comes to a weakness in those categories is that he didn't get to the free throw line a ton. And remember, that's all NBA-bound players at the position, so there's no adjustment for age. So that's impressive for a freshman.

By contrast, Ball projects in the bottom quarter of NBA-bound point guards in both his free throw attempt rate and his usage rate, so he has two statistical weaknesses.

The other thing I'd point to statistically is how effective Fultz was in the pick-and-roll game. Despite playing on a team with poor spacing and few other offensive threats, he averaged 1.01 points per play on pick-and-rolls, which ranked 15th among D-I players with at least 100 such plays, according to Synergy Sports tracking. Iowa State senior Monte Morris is the only NBA prospect who outperformed Fultz in terms of pick-and-roll scoring efficiency.

Ball finished just 49 plays off pick-and-rolls with a shot, a trip to the free throw line or turnover all season and averaged 0.83 points on those plays. The NBA is a pick-and-roll league, and Fultz fits into that much more easily than Ball.

What would scouts add to that summary, Chad?

Ford. I think the statistics and the traditional scouting line up well here.

The first thing scouts will point to is the lack of holes in Fultz's game. That's such a rare phenomenon in a player so young. Even elite talents such as LeBron James and Kevin Durant had significant weaknesses coming into the NBA.

Scouts also give Fultz the advantage as a scorer, shooter and athlete. While he isn't as creative or as natural a passer as Ball, Fultz's ability to run the pick-and-roll is perhaps a more valuable skill in the modern NBA. Fultz plays more like elite modern NBA point guards than Ball does.

Finally, Fultz comes without the hype and distractions that Ball brings to the table. Many teams are worried about his father, LaVar Ball, and the impact he'll have on Lonzo and the team. There are zero worries about Fultz as a person or teammate.

The case for Ball

Ford: OK, let's look at Ball. What's the case for Ball over Fultz as the No. 1 pick?

Pelton: While the case for Fultz focused on his lack of weaknesses, the case for Ball focuses on his strengths. He projects in the top 25 percent of NBA-bound point guards in five categories (2-point percentage, rebound percentage, assist percentage, block percentage and fouls per 100 plays) to Fultz's three categories (usage, rebound and block percentage).

Moreover, Ball is truly elite in more of those categories. Only Kendall Marshall (drafted in 2012) had a better projected assist percentage among freshmen in my database of players who ended up in the NBA.

And the 73.2 percent Ball shot on 2-point attempts is off the charts for a point guard. It ranks 16th since 1992-93 among players with at least 100 2-point attempts, per Sports-Reference.com. Ball's shot chart looks like a Daryl Morey dream: It's all layups or dunks and 3s.

As a result, a key stat -- Ball's 3.6 projected wins above replacement player (WARP) -- is the best stats-only projection for any player in this year's draft. It ranks 11th among freshmen dating back to 2003, and six of the 10 players ahead of Ball have developed into NBA All-Stars: DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Durant, James Harden, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Fultz's 2.0 stats-only projection is hardly a red flag, but it's worse than that of the typical No. 1 pick (2.9 WARP).

So my projections would favor Ball. What case would scouts make?

Ford: Again, I think the scouting and analytics align. The word you hear most associated with Ball is "special." While he has a few glaring weaknesses, his strengths are at an elite level.

That starts with otherworldly court vision. Ball's basketball IQ and feel for the game draw comparisons to players such as Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson. Ball has great size for his position (6-foot-5), rebounds well and uses creativity as a ball handler to get to the rim.

Ball lacks any semblance of a midrange game, didn't play the pick-and-roll game in college, can be an indifferent defender and plays too unselfishly at times. But he makes others around him better. Ball plays with a swagger that scouts say reminds them of other elite players in the NBA.

His father's antics have certainly raised concerns, but teams that have done their homework say the report out of UCLA is that Lonzo was respectful and focused -- the opposite of his dad in many ways.

While Fultz has a much higher floor and could fit on a number of teams, Ball appears to have the higher ceiling if he lands in the right offense.

Sleeper candidates and a final verdict

Ford: Are those two players the only legitimate candidates for the No. 1 pick? Is there a sleeper you see who should be in the mix with Ball or Fultz?

Pelton: Not really, no. The next three players on your big board all have stats-only WARP projections worse than 1.0, so they're not in the ballpark with Fultz, let alone Ball. In fact, the third-ranked player in my consensus projections, which factor in where players rank in your top 100, is Gonzaga center Zach Collins, whose 2.5 stats-only WARP projection is ahead of Fultz. But I don't think there's a reasonable case to take Collins ahead of either guard.

Are there any teams that might have Kansas' Josh Jackson at the top of their boards?

Ford: I agree that it's either Fultz or Ball. I'm a huge Jackson fan. Some scouts love Jayson Tatum, and De'Aaron Fox has made a major push on some boards to the point that a couple of teams now have him ranked ahead of Ball. However, none of those players really brings the upside that Fultz and Ball have.

Collins is an interesting case. Every scout I speak to loves him. He lacked the hype out of high school that the other top prospects had, and his limited role at Gonzaga certainly hurts his stock. But based on pure talent, Collins might be the third-best prospect in the draft. I could see him rising considerably on draft night.

So what's the verdict, Kevin? Ball or Fultz?

Pelton: The cop-out answer is, as you said, that it depends on the team. Generally, I think Ball would work better on a team with other talented players -- both other pick-and-roll options and capable shooters who can finish the shots he creates with his playmaking. Fultz has a better chance of lifting a less-talented offense to adequacy with his shot creation.

If we strip that away, I'd probably lean toward Ball because of what you mentioned earlier about his greater upside. The culture of unselfishness that his passing creates could lead to elite offenses if he gets the right system and players around him. How about you, Chad?

Ford: I've been Team Ball most of the season. But I've been digging into the video over the past month and watching more and more NBA action in the playoffs, and it leads me to believe that as much as I love Ball's unselfishness and elite court vision, Fultz has the game that is better-suited to the way the league has evolved over the past few years. Ball will need the right coach, right offense and right teammates to succeed. I see Fultz thriving on any team.

So I'm now leaning toward Fultz. But I think both players have really terrific futures.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Should Lonzo Ball or Markelle Fultz be No. 1 in the 2017 draft?

As the high-stakes NBA draft lottery approaches for teams like the Boston Celtics, Phoenix Suns and Los Angeles Lakers, the question of who should be the No. 1 pick remains unresolved: Is it Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball?

Chad Ford and Kevin Pelton make a case for each player and give their verdicts, and identify potential sleeper picks.

The case for Fultz

Chad Ford: While there are a lot of terrific draft prospects, Washington's Markelle Fultz and UCLA's Lonzo Ball look like the two main contenders for the No. 1 spot.

I surveyed lottery teams several weeks ago to get a feel for who each team would select if they had the No. 1 pick. While no teams had decided, and all were still collecting data, it was a split decision. Seven teams leaned toward Fultz. Seven teams leaned toward Ball. If you added up the lottery odds for each of those teams, Fultz had a 57.2 percent chance of getting selected No. 1.

But that's talking about what teams might do. Today, Kevin, let's talk about what they should do.

Let's start with Fultz. He played at Washington, in your backyard, and you got to see him a lot. What's the case you would make to an NBA front office for why Fultz should be the No. 1 pick?

Kevin Pelton: From a statistical standpoint, I think it starts with something I mentioned when we discussed Ball vs. Fultz during the season: Fultz really has no weaknesses statistically.

The way I define that is whether the player's projection in 10 key categories is in the bottom 25 percent of NBA-bound players at his position. The closest Fultz comes to a weakness in those categories is that he didn't get to the free throw line a ton. And remember, that's all NBA-bound players at the position, so there's no adjustment for age. So that's impressive for a freshman.

By contrast, Ball projects in the bottom quarter of NBA-bound point guards in both his free throw attempt rate and his usage rate, so he has two statistical weaknesses.

The other thing I'd point to statistically is how effective Fultz was in the pick-and-roll game. Despite playing on a team with poor spacing and few other offensive threats, he averaged 1.01 points per play on pick-and-rolls, which ranked 15th among D-I players with at least 100 such plays, according to Synergy Sports tracking. Iowa State senior Monte Morris is the only NBA prospect who outperformed Fultz in terms of pick-and-roll scoring efficiency.

Ball finished just 49 plays off pick-and-rolls with a shot, a trip to the free throw line or turnover all season and averaged 0.83 points on those plays. The NBA is a pick-and-roll league, and Fultz fits into that much more easily than Ball.

What would scouts add to that summary, Chad?

Ford. I think the statistics and the traditional scouting line up well here.

The first thing scouts will point to is the lack of holes in Fultz's game. That's such a rare phenomenon in a player so young. Even elite talents such as LeBron James and Kevin Durant had significant weaknesses coming into the NBA.

Scouts also give Fultz the advantage as a scorer, shooter and athlete. While he isn't as creative or as natural a passer as Ball, Fultz's ability to run the pick-and-roll is perhaps a more valuable skill in the modern NBA. Fultz plays more like elite modern NBA point guards than Ball does.

Finally, Fultz comes without the hype and distractions that Ball brings to the table. Many teams are worried about his father, LaVar Ball, and the impact he'll have on Lonzo and the team. There are zero worries about Fultz as a person or teammate.

The case for Ball

Ford: OK, let's look at Ball. What's the case for Ball over Fultz as the No. 1 pick?

Pelton: While the case for Fultz focused on his lack of weaknesses, the case for Ball focuses on his strengths. He projects in the top 25 percent of NBA-bound point guards in five categories (2-point percentage, rebound percentage, assist percentage, block percentage and fouls per 100 plays) to Fultz's three categories (usage, rebound and block percentage).

Moreover, Ball is truly elite in more of those categories. Only Kendall Marshall (drafted in 2012) had a better projected assist percentage among freshmen in my database of players who ended up in the NBA.

And the 73.2 percent Ball shot on 2-point attempts is off the charts for a point guard. It ranks 16th since 1992-93 among players with at least 100 2-point attempts, per Sports-Reference.com. Ball's shot chart looks like a Daryl Morey dream: It's all layups or dunks and 3s.

As a result, a key stat -- Ball's 3.6 projected wins above replacement player (WARP) -- is the best stats-only projection for any player in this year's draft. It ranks 11th among freshmen dating back to 2003, and six of the 10 players ahead of Ball have developed into NBA All-Stars: DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Durant, James Harden, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. Fultz's 2.0 stats-only projection is hardly a red flag, but it's worse than that of the typical No. 1 pick (2.9 WARP).

So my projections would favor Ball. What case would scouts make?

Ford: Again, I think the scouting and analytics align. The word you hear most associated with Ball is "special." While he has a few glaring weaknesses, his strengths are at an elite level.

That starts with otherworldly court vision. Ball's basketball IQ and feel for the game draw comparisons to players such as Jason Kidd and Magic Johnson. Ball has great size for his position (6-foot-5), rebounds well and uses creativity as a ball handler to get to the rim.

Ball lacks any semblance of a midrange game, didn't play the pick-and-roll game in college, can be an indifferent defender and plays too unselfishly at times. But he makes others around him better. Ball plays with a swagger that scouts say reminds them of other elite players in the NBA.

His father's antics have certainly raised concerns, but teams that have done their homework say the report out of UCLA is that Lonzo was respectful and focused -- the opposite of his dad in many ways.

While Fultz has a much higher floor and could fit on a number of teams, Ball appears to have the higher ceiling if he lands in the right offense.

Sleeper candidates and a final verdict

Ford: Are those two players the only legitimate candidates for the No. 1 pick? Is there a sleeper you see who should be in the mix with Ball or Fultz?

Pelton: Not really, no. The next three players on your big board all have stats-only WARP projections worse than 1.0, so they're not in the ballpark with Fultz, let alone Ball. In fact, the third-ranked player in my consensus projections, which factor in where players rank in your top 100, is Gonzaga center Zach Collins, whose 2.5 stats-only WARP projection is ahead of Fultz. But I don't think there's a reasonable case to take Collins ahead of either guard.

Are there any teams that might have Kansas' Josh Jackson at the top of their boards?

Ford: I agree that it's either Fultz or Ball. I'm a huge Jackson fan. Some scouts love Jayson Tatum, and De'Aaron Fox has made a major push on some boards to the point that a couple of teams now have him ranked ahead of Ball. However, none of those players really brings the upside that Fultz and Ball have.

Collins is an interesting case. Every scout I speak to loves him. He lacked the hype out of high school that the other top prospects had, and his limited role at Gonzaga certainly hurts his stock. But based on pure talent, Collins might be the third-best prospect in the draft. I could see him rising considerably on draft night.

So what's the verdict, Kevin? Ball or Fultz?

Pelton: The cop-out answer is, as you said, that it depends on the team. Generally, I think Ball would work better on a team with other talented players -- both other pick-and-roll options and capable shooters who can finish the shots he creates with his playmaking. Fultz has a better chance of lifting a less-talented offense to adequacy with his shot creation.

If we strip that away, I'd probably lean toward Ball because of what you mentioned earlier about his greater upside. The culture of unselfishness that his passing creates could lead to elite offenses if he gets the right system and players around him. How about you, Chad?

Ford: I've been Team Ball most of the season. But I've been digging into the video over the past month and watching more and more NBA action in the playoffs, and it leads me to believe that as much as I love Ball's unselfishness and elite court vision, Fultz has the game that is better-suited to the way the league has evolved over the past few years. Ball will need the right coach, right offense and right teammates to succeed. I see Fultz thriving on any team.

So I'm now leaning toward Fultz. But I think both players have really terrific futures.

Long read, but good, and sorry for the full quote, but imho fox looked better all year, and played better head to head in the tourney.... also i did not watch many of balls games, but in the PAC 12 tournament game ucla lost in ball looked like he was gunning, lacked ability to get to the rim, and was easily frustrated by avg defense

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Can Atletico Madrid or Monaco pull off a Champions League comeback?
i

The guys answer your tweets on if the UCL results can be turned around, Pogba missing Juve, and Monaco's Ligue 1 season.
The second leg of the Champions League semifinals kicks off on Tuesday. Here is a statistical look at both matches this week, complete with Soccer Power Index (SPI) projections from FiveThirtyEight.com.

All statistics and projections updated through Friday, May 5:

i

Juventus vs. Monaco (Tuesday)
i

Following a 2-0 win away from home in the first leg, Juventus is a 97 percent favorite to advance to the final, according to SPI. Monaco has a 20 percent chance to score two or more goals, and a five percent chance of scoring three or more according to SPI. However, SPI gives just a 19 percent chance that Juventus will be held scoreless at home.

After being shut out at home for the first time all season, Monaco will have to make history to advance to the final. None of the 30 teams to lose by two goals at home in the first leg of a Champions League knockout series have advanced.

Monaco needs at least two goals, but Juventus has conceded multiple goals at home just once this season, a 3-2 win over Atalanta in the Coppa Italia in January. Entering play this weekend, Juventus has not conceded at home since March 11, keeping four consecutive clean sheets at home in all competitions.

On top of that, Juventus has conceded two total goals in 11 Champions League matches this season, and none since Nov. 22 against Sevilla on Matchday 5 of the group stage. It has been 621 minutes since Juve conceded a goal in the Champions League, the fifth-longest streak in UCL history.

One positive for Monaco is that it did create chances in the first leg, only to be denied by Gianluigi Buffon. Monaco was expected to score 1.99 goals based on the type and location of its shots (compared with 0.95 for Juventus). As a result of being shut out, Monaco's -1.99 goals above average was its lowest in a UCL or Ligue 1 match this season.

Atlético Madrid vs. Real Madrid (Wednesday)
i

With a 3-0 win at home in the first leg, Real Madrid is a heavy favorite to advance to the final, moving on 97 percent of the time according to SPI. Atlético has a 17 percent chance of scoring three or more goals at home, and a 5 percent chance of scoring four or more according to SPI. However, SPI gives Atlético a 22 percent chance of keeping a clean sheet.

There have been five teams in Champions League history to win a first leg of a knockout stage 3-0 at home. All five of those teams advanced to the next round.

Atlético has scored three or more goals in a match 15 times this season in all competitions, but only once in the Champions League, a 4-2 win over Leverkusen in the first leg of the Round of 16. Real has conceded three goals four times this season in all competitions, but has yet to concede four goals in a match.

Atlético and Real Madrid have played 45 matches against each other since 2000. Atlético has scored three or more goals against Real just once, a 4-0 win in the 2014-15 La Liga season. Atlético will need a better offensive effort than it did in the first leg to have any sort of chance in the second leg. Atlético had four shots with one on target, leading to 0.28 expected goals, all of which were its fewest in a match this season. Atlético's four chances created were tied for its second-fewest in a match this season.

In addition to scoring, Atlético will also need to contain Cristiano Ronaldo, who has scored eight goals in his last three Champions League matches. In the first leg, Ronaldo scored the first ever hat trick against Atlético in the Champions League, becoming the first player with consecutive UCL hat tricks in the knockout stage and the first with three career hat tricks in the UCL knockout stage in the process.