Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Will Paul George end up in Indiana, L.A. or elsewhere?

Larry Bird stepping down as Indiana Pacers team president, as reported Friday by The Vertical, thrusts Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard into the spotlight. While Bird will apparently remain a consultant to the Pacers, it's Pritchard who will now have final say on how the team handles Paul George's impending free agency.

George, who holds a player option for the 2018-19 season, is about 14 months away from potentially hitting unrestricted free agency. And the low likelihood that George will make an All-NBA team and qualify for a designated veteran extension means the Pacers would face entering next season with no guarantees they can re-sign George.

Back in March, I took a look at the chances of five possible resolutions for George and Indiana. Now is a good time to revisit those options in light of Bird's resignation, Pritchard's ascendance and how George and the Pacers played down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Scenario 1
George signs a designated veteran extension this summer: 10 percent

This is the outcome that gives the Indiana front office the least heartburn. If George signs the designated veteran extension this summer, the Pacers would have him under contract through at least 2021-22, presuming George gets a player option on the fifth and final season of the extension.

But first, Indiana has to be able to offer the designated veteran extension, and therein lies the rub. To qualify, George has to make an All-NBA team this season.

I think those chances are better than they appeared in early March for a couple of reasons. First, George finished the regular season on a tear, averaging 28.5 points and 7.5 rebounds in March and April. Second, a number of writers have suggested that they gave George the benefit of the doubt because of how much money is at stake.

Make no mistake, George is still an All-NBA long shot, even if voters and the league consider Anthony Davis at center instead of forward. LeBron James, Kawhi Leonard, Giannis Antetokounmpo are all locks at the position, and I rounded out my All-NBA forward picks with Jimmy Butler, Kevin Durant and Draymond Green. That left both George and Gordon Hayward, the other player who could become eligible for a designated veteran extension, on the outside.

Scenario 2

George is traded this summer: 10 percent

In the event George doesn't make an All-NBA team, or indicates he isn't interested in an extension, Indiana will have a decision to make this summer. George should retain plenty of value around the draft, allowing the Pacers to pick up a strong package of young talent and draft picks to rebuild their roster around the timetable of second-year center Myles Turner, who's shown All-Star potential at age 20.

Although the NBA is holding its new awards show after the draft, league sources told Tim Bontemps of the Washington Post that All-NBA Teams will be announced well in advance, meaning Pritchard and the front office would know ahead of the draft that an extension is off the table.

Still, I think Indiana would -- instead of trading George -- seek to re-sign Jeff Teague and upgrade the bench using either the non-taxpayer mid-level exception or modestly more than that in cap space. The Pacers would hope to compete in the Eastern Conference, which would both satisfy George's desire to play for a contender and improve his chances of making a 2017-18 All-NBA team. While that possibility looks more remote after a sweep at the hands of the Cleveland Cavaliers, George played so well that I think Indiana will exhaust every option to keep him. And I don't think Bird's departure will change anything in that regard.

Also, if he's interested in re-signing as a designated veteran, George would have huge incentive to prevent a trade. Before DeMarcus Cousins was traded to the New Orleans Pelicans, his agent, Jarinn Akana, threatened to ESPN's Marc Stein that Cousins would not re-sign with any team that acquired him via trade. In such a case, expect similar talk from George's representatives.

Scenario 3

George is traded at the 2018 trade deadline: 10 percent

If it doesn't look like he will make an All-NBA team by the 2018 trade deadline, George's value will have dwindled. Given his impending free agency, interested teams will probably look at him mostly as a rental who would require a significant midseason adjustment.

In that case, I doubt anyone would offer enough for the Pacers to justify giving up the chance of impressing George enough with a deep playoff run to re-sign him. A deadline trade would be a likely scenario only if George is willing to indicate he'll re-sign with a new team -- or if the L.A. Lakers, considered the favorite to sign George if he leaves, are in playoff position and willing to give up something of value in order to add him immediately.

Scenario 4

George re-signs with the Pacers in the summer of 2018: 30 percent

Essentially, this is the combination of three slightly different scenarios. One is the possibility that George qualifies to re-sign as a designated veteran by making the All-NBA team in 2017-18, meaning Indiana can offer him far more than any other team -- a projected $210 million or so over five years, as compared to around $133 million over four years with another team.

While I'm not sure the competition for All-NBA spots will get much easier in 2017-18, if George can sustain anything near his level of play over the past month and a half, he'll put himself in strong contention for a spot.

There's also the case where George still re-signs although he's not a designated veteran, taking advantage of the fact that the Pacers can still offer slightly larger raises (8 percent of the first-year salary vs. 5 percent) and a fifth year, meaning such a contract would be worth around $180 million.

A creative possibility would be George opting out and re-signing a two-year contract with a player option for the second season. That would give him another chance to qualify as a designated veteran and otherwise hit free agency with 10 seasons of experience, by which point George could command a larger percentage of the salary cap even if he's not a designated veteran.

Still, if George hits free agency without being eligible for a designated veteran contract, I think Indiana will be challenged to re-sign him. George's displeasure with the Pacers considering trade offers at the deadline is a concern, as is my skepticism that Indiana will be much closer to competing with the Eastern Conference's best teams next season. That leaves one final scenario, which I consider the most likely single outcome.

Scenario 5

George signs elsewhere: 40 percent

Although they'll probably have some work to do to clear the necessary cap space, the Lakers can offer George the chance to return home. Even if that possibility isn't appealing, George should have plenty of options to join a contending team as an unrestricted free agent.

Of course, these percentages are somewhat self-canceling. If the Pacers really believe George is likely to leave as a free agent, it increases the chances they trade him, which paradoxically makes this scenario less likely. Either way, considering the possibilities this way should help offer insight into the uncertain future for Indiana and the team's star player.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Best draft pick for all 32 NFL teams

Mel Kiper Jr. handles the draft grades for us at ESPN every year, but what I've gone through and identified the best pick for each of the 32 teams this year.

"Best pick" does not necessarily mean "best player." I'm taking into account team needs, the value the player presented in comparison to my board, and any trades that were related to the pick.

Note: Teams are listed in alphabetical order. To quickly get to your team, click on the links below.

i

Arizona Cardinals
Dorian Johnson, G, Pittsburgh (pick No. 115)
Earl Watford in free agency and seeing Evan Mathis retire. Arizona selected Johnson with the additional fourth-round pick they received from Carolina to move down 21 slots in the third. Johnson is a plug-and-play starter for Arizona: He's an elite run-blocker who has the arm length to get even better in pass protection. Johnson finished his career with 40 consecutive starts and took his game to another level in 2016.

i

Atlanta Falcons
Duke Riley, ILB, LSU (pick No. 75)
Damontae Kazee (a terrific value) and RB Brian Hill, a player I saw up close at Wyoming. Not to be overlooked, Atlanta selected Riley with the 75th pick. He'll pair with his former LSU teammate Deion Jones, who made a big impact in 2016 as a rookie. While Riley isn't quite as explosive as Jones, he displays quick redirect skills and the ability to get sideline-to-sideline in a hurry -- he record the second-fastest 40 time among linebackers at the combine. I love what the Falcons are doing on defense, adding even more speed to the fold. Their first-round pick, Takkarist McKinley, has a really quick first step off the edge and is a good complement to Vic Beasley Jr. in Atlanta.

i

Baltimore Ravens
Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston (pick No. 47)

Chris Wormley and OLB Tim Williams, both lower than we had them ranked. While I like the idea of unleashing Williams in this scheme as a situational pass-rusher, Bowser is a better value and a more complete player. He's a naturally athletic player, showing the first-step quickness (1.59 10-yard split) to threaten off the edge as a pass-rusher. As Terrell Suggs, 34, nears the end of his career, Bowser gives the Ravens a high-upside player who will take to hard coaching.

i

Buffalo Bills
Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh (pick No. 171)
Tyrod Taylor in the coming seasons.

i

Carolina Panthers
Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (pick No. 8)

Cam Newton in the passing game. In McCaffrey, they're getting a runner who shows the ability to get in and out of his cuts very quickly and one of the most polished receiving RBs I've ever evaluated. McCaffrey has a really high floor. The Panthers also added another versatile weapon in the second round (Ohio State WR/RB Curtis Samuel). Offensive coordinator Mike Shula has the personnel to get really creative on offense with Newton, the question is simply whether he can put it together.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Chicago Bears
Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland (pick No. 45)
Zach Miller turning 33 this season and coming off an injury. Shaheen, who ran an impressive 4.79 40 at 278 pounds, has the tools to develop into a difference-making starter in the NFL. What I liked most about this move: The Bears could've taken Shaheen at pick No. 36, but they traded down to 45, picking up an extra fourth-rounder (RB Tarik Cohen) and a 2018 fourth.

i

Cincinnati Bengals
Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn (pick No. 116)
Carlos Dunlap. I don't know if Lawson is going to be a full-time player for Cincy, but when he plays, he's going to give maximum effort and make some splash behind-the-line-of-scrimmage plays. Lawson comes with durability concerns (multiple knee surgeries, and a shoulder issue), but I was blown away with his passion for the game when we met earlier this year. Lawson plays with an excellent motor, is stout against the run, and has a strong combination of quickness and power as a pass-rusher. If he can stay healthy, the Bengals got a great value here.

i

Cleveland Browns
David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.) (pick No. 29)
Myles Garrett could also be the pick here. Cleveland did well not to overthink it, taking the clear-cut best player on the board. I thought the Browns should've picked Njoku with the 25th overall pick, but they traded back up to No. 29 to nab the explosive tight end. Njoku has the speed (4.59 40) to stretch the field, along with the leaping ability (40-inch vertical) to make big plays down the field. He has one of the highest overall ceilings in this class, and those are exactly the kind of players the Browns should be drafting as they rebuild their roster.

i

Dallas Cowboys
Jourdan Lewis, CB, Michigan (pick No. 92)
off-field issues lingering, but we had an early second-round grade on the Michigan product and they got him in the bottom of the third. Lewis has a chance to be the best nickel/slot CB in this class, and the Cowboys really needed corners after losing Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne in free agency. Lewis is on the smaller side (5-10¼, 188), but you'd never know it by watching him fill against the run. And in coverage, he gave up less separation than any cornerback I watched on tape in this draft. The Cowboys upgraded their secondary on Day 2 of the draft, selecting Lewis and Colorado CB Chidobe Awuzie, both of whom made my 2017 All-Tape Team.

i

Denver Broncos
Jake Butt, TE, Michigan (pick No. 145)
Isaiah McKenzie. This was terrific value for Butt. The only reason he fell to the fifth round was the torn ACL he suffered in the Orange Bowl. Make no mistake: When healthy, Butt can be a Tyler Eifert-type playmaker in the NFL. He has the size, agility and route-running skills to consistently get separation from coverage. And when the ball comes his way, he shows really strong hands, particularly when catching the ball in traffic. Butt fills a huge need for the Broncos: They finished 31st in the league last season with only 53 catches from tight ends.

i

Detroit Lions
Teez Tabor, CB, Florida (pick No. 53)
Green Bay Packers[/paste:font]
Kevin King, CB, Washington (pick No. 33)
Vince Biegel). Green Bay ranked 31st against the pass last season, and got exposed by the Falcons' Matt Ryan and Julio Jones in the playoffs. Injuries obviously played a huge role. With his long arms (32 inches), the 6-foot-3 King is a perfect fit for Dom Capers' press-man scheme. His stock really started to rise after the combine, where he showed the speed (4.43 40), agility (3.98 short shuttle and 6.56 3-cone), and lower-body explosion (39-inch vertical) to hang with receivers on the perimeter.

i

Houston Texans
Carlos Watkins, DT, Clemson (pick No. 142)
Indianapolis Colts[/paste:font]
Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida (pick No. 46)
Malik Hooker, who the Colts got at a great value in the first round (No. 15). But because Indy had a much bigger need at corner, I went with Wilson. Wilson was a fringe first-rounder on our board (No. 31 overall), and the Colts selected him midway through the second. At 6-foot-2 and 211 pounds, Wilson is at his best when he's playing press coverage. That makes him a perfect fit for Ted Monachino's scheme, which requires big, physical corners who thrive in press-man. The Colts had only eight interceptions last season, tied for second worst in the NFL, so it's no coincidence Ballard targeted Hooker and Wilson in the first two rounds. They both have great ball skills.

i

Jacksonville Jaguars
Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU (No. 4 pick)
Blake Bortles' hands, playing to the team's strength on defense and slowing the game down. No player in this draft can help you more in this role than Fournette. He has a rare combination of size, speed and power (4.51 40 at 240 pounds). Fournette can also create yards on his own, which will be an important trait running behind a Jaguars offensive line that's still a work in progress.

i

Kansas City Chiefs
Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo (pick No. 86)
Los Angeles Chargers[/paste:font]
Forrest Lamp, G, Western Kentucky (pick No. 38)
Ryan Anderson this past season. He's good athlete and should be a plug-and-play starter at guard in Los Angeles. The Chargers also found good value by drafting Desmond King (our No. 77 player) with the 151st pick.

i

Los Angeles Rams
Cooper Kupp, WR, Eastern Washington (pick No. 69)
Gerald Everett). Kupp was a hot item in the third, but the Rams decided against trading up for him, and it worked. He doesn't give the Rams the No. 1 wide receiver they sorely need, but he does provide QB Jared Goff with a reliable weapon underneath. The Rams ranked 25th in the NFL last season with a 4.8 drop percentage. Kupp should help in that regard. He has soft, reliable hands and consistently plucks the ball away from his frame.

i

Miami Dolphins
Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri (pick No. 22)
Cameron Wake now 35 years old. I don't know if Harris is going to be an immediate starter, but he has a lot of tools to be molded. It will be good for his development to be around a guy like Wake, who keeps himself in great shape. Isaac Asiata was also a good value for the Dolphins in the fifth round.

i

Minnesota Vikings
Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State (pick No. 41)
New England Patriots[/paste:font]
Derek Rivers, OLB, Youngstown State (pick No. 83)
Brandin Cooks, pass-rusher Kony Ealy and TE Dwayne Allen. After trading away Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins in a matter of seven months last year, outside linebacker was easily the Patriots' biggest need entering the draft. Rivers is a perfect fit for the Patriots' culture: He has no off-field baggage, loves the game and is a vocal leader in the locker room. He comes with loads of athletic upside, too, after dominating small-school competition (52 tackles for loss, 38 sacks) and putting on a show at the NFL combine (top-five results among D-linemen in the 40, bench press, vertical jump and 3-cone). Rivers gives the Patriots a much-needed infusion of youth at outside linebacker as Rob Ninkovich enters the final year of his contract.

i

New Orleans Saints
Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State (pick No. 11)
Alvin Kamara (our No. 40 player; No. 67 pick), but they traded up to get him, giving up a 2018 second-rounder.

i

New York Giants
Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss (pick No. 23)
Jordan Reed but more athletic. He's a perfect fit in a Giants offense that likes to spread defenses out thanks to his elite route-running ability.

i

New York Jets
Jamal Adams, S, LSU (pick No. 6)
Oakland Raiders[/paste:font]
Obi Melifonwu, DB, Connecticut (pick No. 56)
Travis Kelce, Demaryius Thomas and Hunter Henry inside the AFC West.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Oakland Raiders
Obi Melifonwu, DB, Connecticut (pick No. 56)
Travis Kelce, Demaryius Thomas and Hunter Henry inside the AFC West.

i

Philadelphia Eagles
Mack Hollins, WR, North Carolina (pick no. 118)
Derek Barnett and CB Sidney Jones -- fit that mold. They both have outstanding football character. Hollins, a former walk-on, also embodies the type of players the Eagles are looking for, and he was a great value. Yes, he has some durability concerns, but at 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds with big-play ability, Hollins was a late-second/early-third-round talent and the Eagles got him at No. 118 overall. Hollins plays like an absolute maniac on special teams coverage and will at the very least by a good red zone threat.

i

Pittsburgh Steelers
Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee (pick No. 135)
Ben Roethlisberger -- and the team got tremendous value getting him at pick No. 135 (we had him ranked 63rd overall).

i

San Francisco 49ers
Solomon Thomas, DL, Stanford (pick No. 3)
Reuben Foster (our No. 8 overall player) with the 31st pick. And then they traded the third-rounder they received in the initial deal to the Saints for a 2017 seventh (DB Adrian Colbert) and 2018 second. So the 49ers got two top-10 players in this class and 2018 second- and fourth-rounders. This is the most ridiculous series of trades I've seen in all of my years doing this.

i

Seattle Seahawks
Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State (pick No. 35)

Delano Hill, S Tedric Thompson, S Michael Tyson and RB Christopher Carson.) That's a great job of maneuvering the draft board by GM John Schneider and still getting an impact player.

i

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama (pick No. 19)
Jameis Winston should be thrilled with this pick: Howard gives the QB a legit game-breaker down the season. The Buccaneers have done a great job of upgrading their passing game this offseason by drafting Howard and signing free-agent WR DeSean Jackson.

i

Tennessee Titans
Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan (pick No. 5)
Adoree' Jackson, Tre'Davious White and Quincy Wilson -- and they opted for Jackson. GM Jon Robinson was able to fill two big needs with good players because he understood how the board would fall and who'd be left when he was picking for the second time in Round 1.

i

Washington Redskins
Jonathan Allen DL, Alabama (pick No. 17)
Allen fell further than he should have, even when you consider the concerns over his athleticism and long-term health (shoulder). His tape is pristine and he comes with outstanding intangibles. The Redskins had a massive need for a player like Allen, who's one of the most disruptive interior pass-rushers in this class and a stud run defender. He comes with tremendous experience and will be an impact player from Day 1 in Washington.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
A center-field fix for the Nats? It's time to make these trades

Nobody really makes trades in May -- at least not big ones. But teams should make trades in May, or at least think about them. While it's too early for the Rangers to consider dealing Yu Darvish or for the Mariners to consider trading Nelson Cruz, here are five trade ideas that makes sense.

Kansas City Royals trade CF Lorenzo Cain to the Washington Nationals

This one's the easiest one on the board. With Adam Eaton likely out for the season with a torn ACL, Michael Taylor is the new center fielder. Taylor has more than 800 career plate appearances in the majors and has been the definition of a replacement-level player with minus-0.3 career WAR. There is some upside there with his power and OK defense, but do you want to bank on upside when you're trying to win a World Series?

Manager Dusty Baker voiced his opinion on moving Trea Turner or Bryce Harper to center -- "No, leave my team alone," he said last weekend -- when asked about either possibility. So we turn to Cain, a free agent after the season. Given that Cain is 31, the Royals are more likely to allocate their resources for fellow free agents Mike Moustakas or Eric Hosmer (gulp).

Cain should have similar value as a guy like Ben Zobrist, whom the Royals acquired for the World Series run in 2015, giving up a B-plus pitching prospect in Sean Manaea (while the A's also included some cash). Erick Fedde, the Nationals' No. 1 pick in 2014, is in Double-A, or the Royals could gamble on somebody like 18-year-old outfielder Juan Soto, who has some big potential at the plate.

Chicago White Sox trade RP David Robertson to the Nationals

The Nationals had a good bullpen last year, but everyone was worried heading into this season because it lacked a "proven closer." Blake Treinen lost his job after walking too many batters, so Shawn Kelley and rookie Koda Glover were sharing the role, but Glover landed on the DL with a sore hip. Kelley already has surrendered five home runs, and his severe platoon splits make him best suited for a setup role, so Baker can spot him against right-handed batters. The rest of the pen hasn't been good either, as the Nationals entered the week with a 5.70 ERA.

There is no Aroldis Chapman or Mark Melancon available this season, but Robertson is on the next tier of closers. He's off to a good start with 15 K's in 9⅔ innings, so he still has swing-and-miss stuff, though his walk rate has spiked the past couple of seasons. With rotation stalwarts Max Scherzer and Stephen Strasburg in their prime and the offense still powerful without Eaton, the Nats need to go all-in right now. Robertson makes $12 million this year and $13 million next year, so they wouldn't have to give up much in prospects, as it primarily would be a salary dump for the White Sox.

Minnesota Twins trade Ervin Santana to the Colorado Rockies

Look, I don't like to advocate a trade when a team is over .500, but I'm not sure the Twins are this good. Maybe they are. I hope they are. But there are times when you should sell high and now is that time. Santana is 5-0 with a 0.66 ERA and a .120 average allowed. Not to rain on his parade, but he didn't suddenly turn into the most unhittable pitcher of all time. So the rebuilding Twins should cash in and obtain younger parts that fit their long-term plans.

So, the Rockies? Yes, time for the Rockies to make a splash. You know they're going to need rotation depth at some point, especially with Tyler Anderson struggling and German Marquez perhaps not quite ready for the majors, and Santana comes with the bonus of being signed through 2019 at reasonable rates ($13.5 million, $13.5 million, $14 million team option). The Rockies have what the Twins need: pitching prospects with strikeout potential. There's Riley Pint, last year's No. 1 pick, but he's a million miles from the majors at this point, so you'd be looking at Marquez, Jeff Hoffman or Ryan Castellani as the centerpiece of a deal.

Toronto Blue Jays trade Kevin Pillar to the Cleveland Indians

It's looking more like a lost season for the Jays. They could try to deal Josh Donaldson at some point, but they also could keep him and retool in the offseason. Because the other older guys are mostly untradable (Troy Tulowitzki, Kendrys Morales), Pillar could be a prime trade candidate, as an elite defensive center fielder who is also off to a good start the plate.

The Indians are basically faking center field right now, playing converted third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall out there along with Austin Jackson, who is really a backup outfielder at this point in his career. Tyler Naquin struggled defensively there last season, and he's in the minors right now, and Bradley Zimmer isn't going to help this year given his strikeout rate in Triple-A. The Indians are a good team and adding Pillar's defense will shore up a big problem. If I'm Cleveland, I trade Zimmer for Pillar and make the team better in 2017.

Oakland A's trade 1B Yonder Alonso to New York Yankees

First base across the American League has been a disaster so far, with the Yankees, Mariners, Rangers, Twins, Angels, Indians and Royals all receiving poor production. No team has been worse than the Yankees with a .143/.257/.242 line, mostly thanks to Greg Bird's 6-for-60 start. Bird is currently on the DL with a bruised ankle and while Brian Cashman shot down the idea of sending Bird down to Triple-A, the Yankees look good and acquiring a short-term fix for first base makes sense. There's nothing wrong with having Bird, who missed 2016 after shoulder surgery, polish his game in Triple-A.

Alonso, a career mediocrity, is a new hitter in 2017. He's one of those guys who changed his swing to improve his launch angle, and his fly ball rate has gone up from 30 percent to 47 percent, and he already has hit six home runs after hitting seven in all of 2016. He's a free agent after the season, so he wouldn't be a roadblock to Bird in 2018. The Yankees have a deep system, but Alonso wouldn't cost one of the top prospects.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

1. Cleveland Browns
Sam Darnold, QB, USC*

Watching WR JuJu Smith-Schuster in preparation for the 2017 draft, it was hard not to notice Darnold. He has the mental makeup, poise and arm strength you look for in an NFL quarterback.

i

2. San Francisco 49ers
Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming*

Allen is very physically gifted, but he needs to improve his decision-making and be a little more consistent with his footwork. He has good mobility and the arm strength to make any throw in the book.

i

3. New York Jets
Josh Rosen, QB, UCLA*

Rosen is coming off a shoulder injury that knocked him out of his team's final six games last season. He has raw talent but needs to improve his accuracy; he has a 59.7 career completion rate.

i

4. Cleveland Browns*
Christian Wilkins, DL, Clemson*

Wilkins finished second on Clemson with 13 tackles for loss in 2016, just behind Carlos Watkins, who had 13.5. Wilkins is very disruptive, racking up 10 pass breakups and five QB hurries last season.

*Acquired in a trade with the Texans

i

5. Minnesota Vikings
Calvin Ridley, WR, Alabama*

The No. 1-ranked WR recruit in 2015, Ridley has accounted for 161 catches in his two seasons in Tuscaloosa. That's 28.4 percent of the team's total in that span.

i

6. Denver Broncos
Malik Jefferson, LB, Texas*

Jefferson has started 18 games in his first two seasons with Texas. He has 15.5 tackles for loss in his career and ranked third on the team with 42 solo tackles in 2016.

i

7. Indianapolis Colts
Saquon Barkley, RB, Penn State*

Barkley had nearly 1,900 total yards in his true sophomore season at Penn State. His 22 total touchdowns ranked first among all Power 5 running backs last season.

i

8. Buffalo Bills
Derwin James, S, Florida State*

Listed at 6-foot-3 and 211 pounds, James has great size. He showed his potential as a true freshman by racking up a team-high 52 solo tackles, 9.5 tackles for loss, four pass breakups and two forced fumbles. James missed all but two games in 2016 after tearing his meniscus versus Charleston Southern.

i

9. New Orleans Saints
Harold Landry, DE, Boston College

Landry gets a lot of much-deserved pub for his FBS-leading 16.5 sacks, but don't overlook his seven forced fumbles, six QB hurries and 22 total tackles for loss. That's elite all-around production. His game against Florida State, in which he had four tackles for loss and a forced fumble, really stood out.

i

10. Miami Dolphins
Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB, Alabama*

Fitzpatrick has shown great ball production in his young career. As a true freshman, he had 11 pass breakups and two interceptions; last season, he led the Crimson Tide with six interceptions and added seven pass breakups. Defensive back looks like an early need for Miami.

i

11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Arden Key, DE, LSU*

I'm not completely sold on Key. He shows flashes on tape (12 sacks in 2016) but needs to be more consistent. Scouts will dig deep on why Key took a leave of absence from the team earlier this year.

i

12. Chicago Bears
Tarvarus McFadden, CB, Florida State*

Listed at 6-foot-2, 198 pounds, McFadden is another big Florida State DB. He tied for the FBS lead with eight interceptions in 2016, an impressive feat in his first season as a full-time starter.

i

13. Washington Redskins
Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M*

The Redskins could be in the market for a wide receiver after signing Terrelle Pryor Sr. to a one-year deal. Kirk can absolutely fly. He led the Aggies in catches for the second season in a row and added three punt-return TDs to his résumé in 2016.

i

14. Philadelphia Eagles
Bo Scarbrough, RB, Alabama*

If Scarbrough stays healthy, he could be a top-15 pick. He was the best player on the field against Washington and Clemson (before getting hurt) in the College Football Playoff. At 6-foot-2 and 228 pounds, Scarbrough is a load to bring down.

i

15. Jacksonville Jaguars
Derrick Nnadi, DT, Florida State

At 312 pounds, Nnadi is a disruptive force along the interior D-line who totaled 10.5 tackles for loss last season. He was particularly impressive against Clemson, with one sack, two total tackles for loss and one pass breakup.

i

16. Cincinnati Bengals
Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

Hurst has started just four games at Michigan, but I love what I've seen on tape so far. He was frequently Michigan's best defensive lineman during the games I studied. And remember: That group just had three D-linemen selected in the 2017 draft.

i

17. Los Angeles Rams
Josh Sweat, DE/OLB, Florida State*

An edge rusher with lots of intriguing tools, Sweat struggled early last season with a knee injury, but he finished with 4.5 sacks in his final three games. He should have a big year.