Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota? NFL executives make their pick

Jameis Winston seemed to have a slight edge on fellow Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota in Year 1 in the NFL.

In the 2015 draft, Winston was picked first and Mariota was picked second. Winston had the better rookie season. Mariota struggled through injuries and growing pains in Year 1, while Winston had a 4,000-yard passing season. Mariota's one claim over Winston was a 42-14 Tennessee Titans win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their NFL debuts in which the Titans QB had four touchdown passes and no interceptions.

Plenty has happened to them over the past year and a half. Both have a new head coach in Year 2, and both have a better team around them in Year 2. So which young quarterback has the brightest future?

We asked five NFL front-office executives about which QB they'd want on their team right now -- and for the next 10 years. The results were close, but one has the edge.

Here's what the executives, who were granted anonymity, said about the debate between Winston and Mariota:

What gives Mariota the edge in Year 2
"I take Mariota over Winston by a mile," NFL executive No. 1 told me. "He takes care of the ball better than Jameis. He has a great command of the passing offense. Sometimes, Jameis will make that horrendous throw that will cost you. And then you watch Marcus run. He has a great sense of when to do it."
This season, Mariota has thrown eight interceptions to Winston's 10, but he also has been involved in five turnovers that have resulted in touchdowns, two on pick-sixes and three in which his fumble was returned for a touchdown. Winston has one pick-six and one fumble returned for a score.

Mariota's biggest jump has been his play in the red zone. He's third in the league with 16 red zone touchdowns, completing 29 of 45 passes (64.4 percent). Winston is tied for fifth with 14 touchdown passes and a 52.3 completion percentage.

The closer Mariota gets to the goal line, the better he has been. He hasn't been sacked and hasn't thrown an interception in the red zone. Winston hasn't thrown a pick, but he has been sacked four times in the red zone.

"This is where [Mariota's] feet help him out," NFL executive No. 2 said. "You have to worry about him running, and that's where he can burn you with a touchdown pass."

The interesting part of this debate is that each ranks among the best quarterbacks in the game inside the 20. They know how to take advantage of opportunities.

Different styles of play
"I just think you get a better whole package with Mariota," NFL executive No. 3 said. "Don't get me wrong -- Winston is a good athlete, but he is a pocket passer. He's not going to beat you with his feet. Marcus reminds me so much of Steve Young. He's not a running quarterback. He's a smart quarterback who can run."
Mariota doesn't force the run. In 11 starts this season, he has 45 carries for 264 yards. Last season, he had 252 yards on 34 carries in 12 starts. Surprisingly, Winston has rushed more times than Mariota, but he hasn't always been effective. Winston has averaged 3.6 yards with his 86 career carries, while Mariota averages 6.5 yards per rush.

"What's helped Mariota this year is, his running ability is cutting down the number of negative plays," NFL executive No. 4 said.

Former Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt lost his job because ownership felt he wasn't doing enough to protect Mariota, who was sacked 38 times last season, from injury. Mariota has been sacked only 18 times this season.

Winston's ability to get rid of the ball quickly has allowed him to stay reasonably low in the sack numbers. He has been sacked 50 times in 26 starts, less than two per game.

"I'll be for Jameis in this debate," NFL executive No. 5 said. "I think Marcus has more around him. He has a better offensive line. They have built a great running game around him. I can argue the Titans are slightly better than the Bucs for weapons. With Vincent Jackson out of the season, what do the Bucs have other than Mike Evans?"

Preconceived opinions of the two QBs
"I can't change my original scouting report on Mariota," NFL executive No. 1 said. "I had him as the best quarterback to come into the league in a decade. I just think he had everything. He's accurate. He's a great runner. He's smart. He works hard, and he's always trying to get better. He's the complete deal."
"Both are great young quarterbacks, but I liked Winston the best coming out of college," NFL executive No. 4 added. "What you liked first about him was he was coming out of a pro-style offense. He didn't have to change his game too much because he ran an NFL offense in college. You like the fact he's a pocket passer who is smart."

There is always going to an argument about quarterbacks entering the league from spread or air raid offenses. Those quarterbacks need time to develop because most have never run a huddle. They come into the league without the experience of doing three-, five- and seven-step drops. Many haven't been asked to go through progressions.

"I didn't think it would take Marcus long to make the transition from college," a pro-Mariota NFL executive No. 5 said. "He picked up the ability to call the pass protections to his linemen in the first couple weeks of training camp. He has no troubles learning how to retreat from center. I also think it helped him with Mike Mularkey's offense, because he made Marcus work a lot from the line of scrimmage."

Those in favor of Winston were right about how natural it was for him to fit into an NFL offense and play from under center. Winston is completing almost 65 percent of his passes in nonshotgun situations this season. Mariota is about 10 percent worse.

Different personalities
While the quarterbacking styles of Winston and Mariota are different, so are their personalities. Mariota is quiet and reserved. Winston is more outgoing. Both styles work. They are totally respected by their teammates.
"Marcus is never going to be the one speaking too much," NFL executive No. 4 said. "He prefers working behind the scenes. You see him trying to minimize his time in front of the cameras and doing the interviews. He would rather concentrate on working with his teammates and getting the job done."

"Jameis is very respectful, but he is more outgoing than Marcus," NFL executive No. 5 added. "You have to remember how smart he is. The guy has a photographic memory. Sometimes he doesn't get credit for how smart he is. What you can see immediately was how the team embraced him last year. He was the leader from the start of last year. Players had his back. They all loved him."

What has been fun to watch is how both offenses have quietly grown under the direction of both quarterbacks. The Titans have averaged 25.5 points per game this season, a four-point increase over Mariota's starts as a rookie. Winston has taken the Bucs' offense from 21.4 to 23.5 points per game. Anything around 24 points a game is considered playoff-worthy.

The final verdict
Of the five executives polled about Winston vs. Mariota, three chose Mariota and two chose Winston. All stressed, however, that the margin between the two is slim and that both are quality signal-callers with bright futures.
In fact, you get the feeling that little has changed the opinions of these executives since the 2015 draft. Those who liked Winston then, prefer him. Those who liked Mariota then, prefer him. Both players have moved their franchises closer to the playoffs faster than anyone thought. In 2014, these were the two worst teams in football. In 2016, they are in the middle of the pack.

According to the executives polled, the Bucs and Titans each hit home runs in the 2015 draft. Now let's see which quarterback can get his team into the playoffs first.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Skooby

Warriors the best offense ever?

The whole thing please.

Daps+reps
Are Warriors the best offense the NBA has ever seen?

A month into the Kevin Durant era, the Golden State Warriors' offense is locked in.

It's not too early to ask and answer the question: Are this season's Warriors the NBA's best offense ever?

Since starting slowly over the first week and a half of the season, the Warriors have won their last 11 games behind an incredibly potent attack. Golden State has scored at least 110 points in nine of the 11 games and had 10 in a row with 30-plus assists before that streak was snapped Saturday against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

This stretch has propelled the Warriors into their expected place atop the league in offensive rating. In fact, Golden State not only has the NBA's best offensive rating this season, but the team's 115.4 points per 100 possessions would crush the 112.7 scored by the 2009-10 Phoenix Suns for the highest posted since the league began recording turnovers in 1973-74.

Best offensive ratings
Team Season ORTG
Golden State 2016-17 115.4
Phoenix 2009-10 112.7
Golden State 2015-16 112.5
Boston 1987-88 112.4
Chicago 1991-92 112.3
L.A. Lakers 1986-87 112.3
Since 1973-74

What does that mean for their historic offensive status? Let's take a look.

Does the best offensive rating mean the best offense?

Over the years, the league-wide level of offense in the NBA has risen and fallen based on rules changes, the emphasis on 3-point shooting and other stylistic factors. As a result, offensive rating relative to league average is probably a better measure of what is truly the best offense. Making this adjustment yields a slightly different ranking, albeit with Golden State in the same spot.

Adjusted offensive ratings
Team Season Ortg League Adjusted
Golden State 2016-17 115.4 103.8 11.1
Dallas 2003-04 109.6 100.0 9.5
Phoenix 2004-05 111.9 103.1 8.6
Golden State 2015-16 112.5 103.9 8.3
Dallas 2001-02 109.5 101.6 7.8
Phoenix 2009-10 112.7 104.9 7.5

Because offense was up around the NBA in 2009-10, the Suns drop to fifth among past teams by this measure, behind the 2004-05 team that won Steve Nash the first of two MVP awards. Nash's last Dallas team, the previous season, actually comes out best in adjusted offensive rating because the league average was so low in 2003-04 before the NBA opened up offensive play by enforcing rules on hand checking.

Still, no team since 1973-74 has managed to score 10 percent better than league average over a full season. So far, the Warriors have been 11.1 percent better than the average NBA team.

Without team turnovers, we can't calculate offensive ratings before 1973-74 with the same level of accuracy. However, while writing for Basketball-Reference.com, Neil Paine came up with estimated possession totals to compare teams from early NBA history with their modern counterparts. Paine's measure put a pair of 2000s Suns teams (2006-07 and 2004-05) at the top relative to league average, ahead of the best offensive team from the pre-turnover era, the 1970-71 Milwaukee Bucks.

As a result, we can comfortably say that if Golden State proves the best offensive team on record, the Warriors are probably the best offense ever. So can they keep it up?

Is Golden State's start sustainable?

Any time an analyst compares stats compiled over the first month to a full season, your first suspicion should be that small sample size is at play. In this case, a handful of other teams in the NBA.com database, including Golden State last season, have also posted what would be a record offensive rating through their first 17 games. All declined by season's end.

Best ORtg (Through 17 Games)
Team Season First 17 Final
Golden State 2016-17 115.4 ???
Dallas 2014-15 114.1 107.2
Phoenix 2009-10 114.0 112.7
Golden State 2015-16 112.9 112.5
Since 1996-97, via NBA.com/Stats

At the same time, there are good reasons to believe the Warriors' offense will still prove historic, starting with the fact that the team is well ahead of the pace set by the 2009-10 Suns and last season's Golden State team, which dropped off but still finished first and second in offensive rating, respectively. (The 2014-15 Dallas Mavericks are the exception in this group; they still had a 113.6 offensive rating on Dec. 18, when they traded Jae Crowder and Brandan Wright to the Boston Celtics for Rajon Rondo. Dallas' offensive rating was just 104.1 after the trade.)

The Warriors have also improved over the course of the season as they've quickly adapted to Durant's presence in their starting lineup. Their season-long offensive rating has consistently trended up since an ugly loss to the Los Angeles Lakers dropped Golden State to 4-2.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The best quarterbacks who could change teams in 2017

Whether Brock Osweiler belongs alongside free-agent quarterback flops Neil O'Donnell, Scott Mitchell and Matt Flynn will be irrelevant for NFL decision-makers.

Desperation will continue to drive decisions as teams seek solvency at the position. It's why the New England Patriots will have suitors for Jimmy Garoppolo after two career starts. It's why veteran starters deemed expendable in one place will find plush red carpets rolled out for them elsewhere.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger aren't hitting the market. My top-10 list for the best QBs who could switch teams in 2017 is filled with consolation prizes of varying appeal, from Tony Romo to Colin Kaepernick and a couple longer shots who might not be on your radar.

i

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots
Signed through: 2017 | Chances for change: Medium

Garoppolo completed 42 of 59 passes for 496 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in the two games he started this season. His rookie deal runs through 2017 and the Patriots could decide to keep him as Tom Brady's successor. But if they think Brady will play 2-3 more seasons, which seems plausible, they would need to make a decision on Garropolo.

"They will fleece somebody into a bunch of picks," a personnel director predicted. "If they think they have three years with Brady, which is what I'm thinking, why wouldn't you? You are not going to be able to pay Garoppolo unless you do a short-term bridge deal and the kid buys into it. I think they will franchise him [in 2017] and then move him."

Garoppolo appears in the No. 1 spot on this list with some conditions. He faced a big adjustment from his college offense to the system in New England. Keeping him in a similar system and with familiar coaching would increase the odds for success. Will Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels have a head coaching job somewhere soon? Could former Patriots assistant Bill O'Brien be back in the market for a quarterback after the 2017 season?

"People think Cleveland will give up too much for Garoppolo after blowing it by not taking Carson Wentz, who was the perfect AFC North quarterback," a veteran agent said. "If I am the Jets or Browns, Garoppolo will be hard to trade for with one year left on his deal. All Jimmy has to do is wait 16 games and he is sitting pretty. He'll get $20 million a year then."

i

2. AJ McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals
Signed through: 2017 | Chances for change: Low

The Bengals typically are not wheelers and dealers. McCarron played well enough in limited exposure to make a positive impression. McCarron has completed 102 of 160 passes (63.8 percent) with seven touchdowns, three picks and a 53.0 Total QBR score.

"I think he will stay there," a personnel director said. "That is Cincinnati. They are not a big trade team. I think they like him and someone would have to blow their socks off with a pick."

An agent predicted McCarron would follow the same path Kirk Cousins followed in Washington, biding his time behind a drafted starter.

"We do not know what Andy Dalton will be a couple years from now," this agent said. "The Bengals could franchise-tag McCarron in the fifth year if they wanted."

i

3. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
Signed through: 2019 | Chance for change: Medium-high

No quarterback on this list comes close to matching Romo for credentials, but it's tough ranking Romo at the top given the mitigating factors.

Romo turns 37 in April. He has not played more than four games in a season since 2014. He has a $14 million salary for 2017. The Cowboys could save money under the cap by trading or releasing Romo, but they would still be on the hook for millions.

"There will be a market for him," a personnel director said. "No one will take on that contract -- that would shock me. If the Cowboys trade him, you have to rework the deal or Jerry will just cut him outright."

Will Romo even want to play elsewhere? He would be a poor fit for a rebuilding team. The Denver Broncos like Trevor Siemian and drafted Paxton Lynch. Could Houston be in play even with Osweiler still on the books for the 2017 season?

"Can you flush all that money, say we were wrong and then come back with Romo?" a personnel director asked.

i

4. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Signed through: 2016 | Chances for change: High

Glennon put up decent numbers in 18 starts and will hit the market this offseason, meaning the acquiring team would not have to trade for him. That pushes him up the list. He turns 27 in December.

"The two most intriguing guys are Garoppolo and Glennon because they are the Brock Osweilers of the class," an agent said. "How do you hand the keys to an unproven guy after what happened with Osweiler in Houston?"

Because you're desperate, that's how. An agent said he thought Arizona would pursue Glennon this offseason depending upon how the Cardinals feel about Carson Palmer at that time.

"Glennon would give them some youth and he can put the ball downfield a little bit," this agent said. "The difference between Glennon and some of these other guys is that Glennon is available."

Glennon completed 58.3 percent of his passes with 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a 57.5 Total QBR score in his 18 starts. The Buccaneers went only 5-13 in those games. They allowed 19.6 points per game in the five victories and 29.5 points per game in the losses. Tampa Bay ranked 28th in points scored and 27th in points allowed over the span encompassing Glennon's starts.

i

5. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Kaepernick looked like a rising star when the 49ers were loaded with talent throughout their roster. His stock has plummeted as the 49ers' roster has fallen apart around him. The 49ers benched him during their blowout loss at Chicago on Sunday. It wasn't even the biggest Kaepernick story of the season, but it could improve the likelihood he reaches the market.

Kaepernick has the ability to void his recently reworked contract after the season -- and an NFL.com report over the weekend suggested he'll do just that. His high-profile political stances and commentary could eliminate some teams from the equation, especially now that Kaepernick is no longer universally seen as an ascending talent.

"Whew, who wants that headache?" a personnel evaluator asked. "Low market."

On the other hand, Kaepenrick had completed 59.3 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns, two picks and a 65.6 Total QBR score during a four-game stretch heading into Sunday. He turned 29 recently and has a 31-29 starting record, counting playoffs.

i

6. Robert Griffin III, Cleveland Browns
Signed through: 2017 | Chances for change: Medium-high

Griffin is getting healthy and could use the final few games to build his case for factoring in Cleveland or elsewhere. At 26 and given his pedigree, he could conceivably develop into a long-term starter -- unlike most of the players listed lower here.

The Browns will have plenty of cap room to carry Griffin's $6 million salary and $1.5 million roster bonus next season, but moving on from Griffin would be painless if they acquired another quarterback this offseason. Griffin is not necessarily in the mentor category at this point.

"I could see the Browns cutting him and someone picking him up as a backup," a personnel evaluator said.

Perceptions could change quickly, particularly if Griffin were to help the Browns win a game or two, something they have yet to do this season.

i

7. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
Signed through: 2020 | Chances for change: Medium-high

Cutler's contract carries no guaranteed money past this season, clearing the way for the Bears to cut ties if they feel strongly about making a change.

"There will be a medium market for him," a personnel evaluator said. "I'm still not sold that Chicago is going to get rid of him. What are your options? You go get Glennon? You go all in on Garoppolo? I'm sure Bill Belichick will take the third pick in the draft."

Cutler is never going to be the leader who pulls together a locker room through the force of his personality. However, he has always won when the Bears were good on defense. Chicago went 27-13 with Cutler starting from 2010-12, when Lovie Smith's defense was in top form. The Bears have gone 17-29 with Cutler starting since then even though Cutler's QBR score and passer rating have improved. The defensive collapse in Chicago has dragged him down.

"A great defense, strong run game and a great offensive head coach would give Cutler a chance to win," a personnel director said. "Unfortunately, there are not many places like that."

Injuries are increasingly a concern for Cutler as well. He presumably will not become more durable with age. Cutler turns 34 in April.

i

8. Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
Signed through: 2017 (voids after '16) | Chances for change: High

Divorce appears imminent for the Jets and Fitzpatrick. Theirs is a marriage of convenience for the season's remainder.

"He will change teams, but will not start," a personnel director predicted.

Fitzpatrick exceeded outside expectations in 2015 when the Jets were healthier at receiver and along their offensive line, and when their defense ranked among the NFL's top 10 in key categories. He has fallen off a statistical cliff with much less help from his supporting cast, and after a contract dispute kept him from reporting to the team on time.

No one will mistake Fitzpatrick for a top QB, but the teams that couldn't wait to dump him in recent seasons -- first Tennessee, then Houston -- did not immediately improve at the positon. There are no guarantees for the Jets, either.

"You can compete with him if you manage him right," a former general manager said.

i

9. Nick Foles, Kansas City Chiefs

Foles' salary jumps from $1.25 million this season to $10.4 million next season. That doesn't necessarily mean the Chiefs will release him. Foles is a great fit in Kansas City based on Andy Reid's history with him. If Foles stays, he could provide insurance in case Alex Smith suffers another concussion or declines unexpectedly.

In other words, Foles probably has more value to the Chiefs than he would have elsewhere. It's tough to envision another team anointing him as its starter, although Foles does have a 20-16 record as a starter in the regular season. Foles had 27 touchdowns with two interceptions during the 2013 season. He has 29 touchdowns with 27 picks over the rest of his career.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

10. Brian Hoyer, Chicago Bears
Signed through: 2016 | Chances for change: Medium-high

Hoyer improbably posted a 10-6 starting record with the Cleveland Browns from 2013-14, but his individual stats were middling. Hoyer produced more efficiently during a nine-start run with the Texans. He tossed 19 touchdowns with seven interceptions and a 56.1 Total QBR score while winning five of those nine regular-season starts. But his leading role in a 30-0 postseason defeat to Kansas City set in motion a series of events with regrettable consequences for all involved.

Hoyer was out. Osweiler was in. Less than a year later, both still could be looking for the right match. They are not alone.

The Cousins wild card
Cousins has no contract for the 2017 season, but it's a longshot he'll get away. The Redskins will either sign him to a long-term contract or use the franchise tag to keep him. Another team would have the ability to sign Cousins as a franchise player, but the price in salary and draft-choice compensation appears prohibitive.

Other names: Blaine Gabbert, Case Keenum, Ryan Mallett, EJ Manuel, Mark Sanchez, Matt Schaub, Geno Smith, Josh McCown, Colt McCoy, Tyrod Taylor, Kirk Cousins, Shaun Hill, Landry Jones, Luke McCown, Chase Daniel.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The best quarterbacks who could change teams in 2017

Whether Brock Osweiler belongs alongside free-agent quarterback flops Neil O'Donnell, Scott Mitchell and Matt Flynn will be irrelevant for NFL decision-makers.

Desperation will continue to drive decisions as teams seek solvency at the position. It's why the New England Patriots will have suitors for Jimmy Garoppolo after two career starts. It's why veteran starters deemed expendable in one place will find plush red carpets rolled out for them elsewhere.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger aren't hitting the market. My top-10 list for the best QBs who could switch teams in 2017 is filled with consolation prizes of varying appeal, from Tony Romo to Colin Kaepernick and a couple longer shots who might not be on your radar.

i

1. Jimmy Garoppolo, New England Patriots

Garoppolo completed 42 of 59 passes for 496 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions in the two games he started this season. His rookie deal runs through 2017 and the Patriots could decide to keep him as Tom Brady's successor. But if they think Brady will play 2-3 more seasons, which seems plausible, they would need to make a decision on Garropolo.

"They will fleece somebody into a bunch of picks," a personnel director predicted. "If they think they have three years with Brady, which is what I'm thinking, why wouldn't you? You are not going to be able to pay Garoppolo unless you do a short-term bridge deal and the kid buys into it. I think they will franchise him [in 2017] and then move him."

Garoppolo appears in the No. 1 spot on this list with some conditions. He faced a big adjustment from his college offense to the system in New England. Keeping him in a similar system and with familiar coaching would increase the odds for success. Will Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels have a head coaching job somewhere soon? Could former Patriots assistant Bill O'Brien be back in the market for a quarterback after the 2017 season?

"People think Cleveland will give up too much for Garoppolo after blowing it by not taking Carson Wentz, who was the perfect AFC North quarterback," a veteran agent said. "If I am the Jets or Browns, Garoppolo will be hard to trade for with one year left on his deal. All Jimmy has to do is wait 16 games and he is sitting pretty. He'll get $20 million a year then."

i

2. AJ McCarron, Cincinnati Bengals
Signed through: 2017 | Chances for change: Low

The Bengals typically are not wheelers and dealers. McCarron played well enough in limited exposure to make a positive impression. McCarron has completed 102 of 160 passes (63.8 percent) with seven touchdowns, three picks and a 53.0 Total QBR score.

"I think he will stay there," a personnel director said. "That is Cincinnati. They are not a big trade team. I think they like him and someone would have to blow their socks off with a pick."

An agent predicted McCarron would follow the same path Kirk Cousins followed in Washington, biding his time behind a drafted starter.

"We do not know what Andy Dalton will be a couple years from now," this agent said. "The Bengals could franchise-tag McCarron in the fifth year if they wanted."

i

3. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys
Signed through: 2019 | Chance for change: Medium-high

No quarterback on this list comes close to matching Romo for credentials, but it's tough ranking Romo at the top given the mitigating factors.

Romo turns 37 in April. He has not played more than four games in a season since 2014. He has a $14 million salary for 2017. The Cowboys could save money under the cap by trading or releasing Romo, but they would still be on the hook for millions.

"There will be a market for him," a personnel director said. "No one will take on that contract -- that would shock me. If the Cowboys trade him, you have to rework the deal or Jerry will just cut him outright."

Will Romo even want to play elsewhere? He would be a poor fit for a rebuilding team. The Denver Broncos like Trevor Siemian and drafted Paxton Lynch. Could Houston be in play even with Osweiler still on the books for the 2017 season?

"Can you flush all that money, say we were wrong and then come back with Romo?" a personnel director asked.

i

4. Mike Glennon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Glennon put up decent numbers in 18 starts and will hit the market this offseason, meaning the acquiring team would not have to trade for him. That pushes him up the list. He turns 27 in December.

"The two most intriguing guys are Garoppolo and Glennon because they are the Brock Osweilers of the class," an agent said. "How do you hand the keys to an unproven guy after what happened with Osweiler in Houston?"

Because you're desperate, that's how. An agent said he thought Arizona would pursue Glennon this offseason depending upon how the Cardinals feel about Carson Palmer at that time.

"Glennon would give them some youth and he can put the ball downfield a little bit," this agent said. "The difference between Glennon and some of these other guys is that Glennon is available."

Glennon completed 58.3 percent of his passes with 28 touchdowns, 15 interceptions and a 57.5 Total QBR score in his 18 starts. The Buccaneers went only 5-13 in those games. They allowed 19.6 points per game in the five victories and 29.5 points per game in the losses. Tampa Bay ranked 28th in points scored and 27th in points allowed over the span encompassing Glennon's starts.

i

5. Colin Kaepernick, San Francisco 49ers

Kaepernick looked like a rising star when the 49ers were loaded with talent throughout their roster. His stock has plummeted as the 49ers' roster has fallen apart around him. The 49ers benched him during their blowout loss at Chicago on Sunday. It wasn't even the biggest Kaepernick story of the season, but it could improve the likelihood he reaches the market.

Kaepernick has the ability to void his recently reworked contract after the season -- and an NFL.com report over the weekend suggested he'll do just that. His high-profile political stances and commentary could eliminate some teams from the equation, especially now that Kaepernick is no longer universally seen as an ascending talent.

"Whew, who wants that headache?" a personnel evaluator asked. "Low market."

On the other hand, Kaepenrick had completed 59.3 percent of his passes with eight touchdowns, two picks and a 65.6 Total QBR score during a four-game stretch heading into Sunday. He turned 29 recently and has a 31-29 starting record, counting playoffs.

i

6. Robert Griffin III, Cleveland Browns
Signed through: 2017 | Chances for change: Medium-high

Griffin is getting healthy and could use the final few games to build his case for factoring in Cleveland or elsewhere. At 26 and given his pedigree, he could conceivably develop into a long-term starter -- unlike most of the players listed lower here.

The Browns will have plenty of cap room to carry Griffin's $6 million salary and $1.5 million roster bonus next season, but moving on from Griffin would be painless if they acquired another quarterback this offseason. Griffin is not necessarily in the mentor category at this point.

"I could see the Browns cutting him and someone picking him up as a backup," a personnel evaluator said.

Perceptions could change quickly, particularly if Griffin were to help the Browns win a game or two, something they have yet to do this season.

i

7. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears
Signed through: 2020 | Chances for change: Medium-high

Cutler's contract carries no guaranteed money past this season, clearing the way for the Bears to cut ties if they feel strongly about making a change.

"There will be a medium market for him," a personnel evaluator said. "I'm still not sold that Chicago is going to get rid of him. What are your options? You go get Glennon? You go all in on Garoppolo? I'm sure Bill Belichick will take the third pick in the draft."

Cutler is never going to be the leader who pulls together a locker room through the force of his personality. However, he has always won when the Bears were good on defense. Chicago went 27-13 with Cutler starting from 2010-12, when Lovie Smith's defense was in top form. The Bears have gone 17-29 with Cutler starting since then even though Cutler's QBR score and passer rating have improved. The defensive collapse in Chicago has dragged him down.

"A great defense, strong run game and a great offensive head coach would give Cutler a chance to win," a personnel director said. "Unfortunately, there are not many places like that."

Injuries are increasingly a concern for Cutler as well. He presumably will not become more durable with age. Cutler turns 34 in April.

i

8. Ryan Fitzpatrick, New York Jets
Signed through: 2017 (voids after '16) | Chances for change: High

Divorce appears imminent for the Jets and Fitzpatrick. Theirs is a marriage of convenience for the season's remainder.

"He will change teams, but will not start," a personnel director predicted.

Fitzpatrick exceeded outside expectations in 2015 when the Jets were healthier at receiver and along their offensive line, and when their defense ranked among the NFL's top 10 in key categories. He has fallen off a statistical cliff with much less help from his supporting cast, and after a contract dispute kept him from reporting to the team on time.

No one will mistake Fitzpatrick for a top QB, but the teams that couldn't wait to dump him in recent seasons -- first Tennessee, then Houston -- did not immediately improve at the positon. There are no guarantees for the Jets, either.

"You can compete with him if you manage him right," a former general manager said.

i

9. Nick Foles, Kansas City Chiefs

Foles' salary jumps from $1.25 million this season to $10.4 million next season. That doesn't necessarily mean the Chiefs will release him. Foles is a great fit in Kansas City based on Andy Reid's history with him. If Foles stays, he could provide insurance in case Alex Smith suffers another concussion or declines unexpectedly.

In other words, Foles probably has more value to the Chiefs than he would have elsewhere. It's tough to envision another team anointing him as its starter, although Foles does have a 20-16 record as a starter in the regular season. Foles had 27 touchdowns with two interceptions during the 2013 season. He has 29 touchdowns with 27 picks over the rest of his career.
@JLova Mike Glennon favored over Kaep :mjpls:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The best NFL wide receivers in every category

Look around the NFL and you'll see a healthy mix of talent at the wide receiver position. Every week, it seems, this crew of playmakers tries to one-up each other. We saw the Lions' Golden Tate score an electrifying, game-winning 66-yard touchdown last Sunday against New Orleans. In Week 10, Antonio Brown roasted the Cowboys for 14 catches, 154 yards and a score. And in Dallas' very next game, Dez Bryant proved uncoverable in the red zone with two TDs.

With Bryant and Odell Beckham Jr. getting ready to battle on a prime-time stage this Sunday night, let's run through the best WRs in all the areas that matter: route running, ball skills, big-play ability after the catch, body control and much more.

i

Toughest to cover
Julio Jones, Falcons

Jones is the most complete wide receiver in the game based on the tape I watch and the freakish measurables he brings to the field. At 6-foot-3 and 220 pounds with game speed in the low 4.4 range, Jones is a consistent matchup issue. He uses his rare size-speed combo to create leverage at the point of attack, adjust to the football and win with physicality.

Jones is more than just a deep-ball guy or a red zone weapon. With elite footwork, route-running ability and natural movement skills, this guy can beat opposing defenses from multiple alignments and he produces at all three levels of the field. Think of the 3-step game, intermediate cuts and the vertical shots that rip the souls out of opposing secondaries. You want a wide receiver who can take over on Sundays? It's Jones.

Just look at how he creates separation against Patrick Peterson on the "shake-7" route:

Uncoverables_JulioOverall.gif

With Peterson playing from an off-man position, Jones presses the release vertically up the field to eat up the cushion of the Cardinals cornerback before stemming inside to sell the in-cut. This is when Jones sinks the hips, turns the All-Pro cornerback around and breaks back to the football. See the separation created? That's an excellent route against one of the best defensive backs in the game.

Honorable mention: Antonio Brown, Steelers

i

Best overall route runner
Antonio Brown, Steelers

Brown is an electric talent. From his burst off the ball to his ability to separate within the stem, the Steelers wide receiver is clearly the best overall route runner in today's game. Given his footwork at the release, Brown can quickly shed press coverage and he has the top-end speed to suck up the cushion while pushing defensive backs down the field. That allows Brown to snap off routes and accelerate to the ball.

Even when Brown and the Steelers give opposing defenses a pre-snap tip based on the split, such as the out route (bottom of the numbers), the wide receiver still beats defenders because of his razor-sharp cuts and lighting quicks. The deep ball? Brown is excellent at widening cornerbacks to get the exact leverage he wants on intermediate-to-deep inside breaking routes.

Simply put, Brown's tape is coaching-clinic stuff. And every young wide receiver in the league should be studying his game. He's that good.

Honorable mention: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

i

Toughest to defend in the red zone
Dez Bryant, Cowboys

The slant and the fade are the top two routes you have to defend in the red zone when playing a wide receiver one-on-one. Take away the slant by alignment (inside shade) and drive to the hip of the receiver on the fade to locate the ball. That's defensive back technique 101 in the deep red zone (plus 10-yard line).

However, given the physicality of Bryant, his strong hands at the point of attack and his ability to basically box out defensive backs, he's really tough to keep in check near the goal line. Climb the ladder? Sure. Bryant has the body control and leaping ability to make plays above the rim. And don't expect a call down here. Bryant is going to get the quick push-off and use his natural power to create some separation.

Let's take a look at this example from the Ravens-Cowboys game:

Uncoverables_Dez.gif

Bryant takes a pretty standard release: stem inside (sell the slant) and then widen for the fade. This creates an opportunity for him to establish the proper leverage to make a play on the back-shoulder throw. The thing that makes this catch even better? CB Shareece Wright's technique is on point. The Ravens cornerback stays square (doesn't take the bait) and eliminates Bryant from working up the field. Hold your ground and challenge the release. But then Bryant uses his physicality to post up Wright. Now Bryant has the leverage to shield the defender from the ball and high-point the throw before using his strong hands to finish this play. Even with the proper technique from Wright, Bryant still wins this matchup. He's a beast inside the red zone.

Honorable mention: Brandon Marshall, Jets

i

Best body control
A.J. Green, Bengals

When I talk about body control at the wide receiver position, I'm looking for guys who look effortless as they adjust to the throw, work the boundaries (sideline and end line), and finish plays in limited space. That's Green. Yes, he could be listed in a number of categories here. From route running to deep-ball skills, Green is one of the top players at the position. But I love his smooth ability to secure the ball against tight coverage.

Whether we are looking at the fade up the sideline or the corner route in the end zone, Green will snatch throws away from defensive backs and adjust his body to magically get two feet down. Other wide receivers can study all the tape you want on Green, but you can't coach this kind of ability. It's ridiculous.

Honorable mention: Jordy Nelson, Packers

i

Most dangerous after the catch
Odell Beckham Jr., Giants

Slant routes that go for 60-yard house calls. Shallow crossing routes that turn into explosive gains. These are basic concepts that defenses should limit. Not when Beckham is the target. He can change the game in a blink because of his speed after the catch and the ability to erase angles in the open field.

Look at how quickly he turns this simple play against the Ravens into a touchdown:

Uncoverables_OBJYAC.gif

This is your classic slant-flat (or bench) combo that plays out as a rub/pick route against man coverage. That allows Beckham to release inside on the slant while getting that separation to the ball on the throw from Eli Manning. And then it's all speed. Beckham accelerates up the field, exposes the overpursuit/poor angle from the free safety and outruns the entire Ravens back seven on a 66-yard touchdown. Nasty. This guy can slice up any secondary in the league after the catch.

Honorable mention: T.Y. Hilton

i

Best slot receiver
Doug Baldwin, Seahawks

Defensive backs have to play a "two-way-go" inside of the numbers versus a slot receiver. That means the receiver can release inside or outside without the restrictions of the boundary. And given that extra space to work with, Baldwin consistently exposes defensive leverage and technique and gains separation because of his lateral ability. I'm telling you, he's got some quicks.

From the sweet footwork to the route-running skills, Baldwin can beat defenders all day on underneath routes, plus he has the speed to run vertical concepts from the slot. We consistently see him winning on the inside seam, the fade and the deep corner route. Those are tough routes to cover when Baldwin can set up defensive backs, stack on top and then use that burst to separate while the ball is in the air.

Yes, Baldwin can play outside of the numbers (he has done it on 19 percent of his snaps this season, compared to 73 percent in the slot). But his ability to win inside really jumps off the tape. The skill set, the physical play, the toughness ... Baldwin is a warrior on that field.

Honorable mention: Randall Cobb, Packers

i

Speedster you have to respect the most
Emmanuel Sanders, Broncos

A 4.2 or 4.3 40 looks great the combine, and it can force safeties to play with some initial depth on the field, but running straight 9 routes all day isn't enough to become a consistent threat in the pros. Nah, you need the ability to set up defensive backs within the route stem too. So to me, this category is more about game speed -- who combines a great vertical burst with the footwork needed to get open?

There's no doubt Sanders has the speed to blow the top off the secondary, but he's also a dynamic route runner with the shiftiness to expose defensive backs throughout the stem. Sanders will manipulate defensive technique and then pull away to produce explosive gains down the field.

Here's a great example from the game against the Chiefs:

Uncoverables_Sanders.gif

Instead of taking an outside release and working down the field (standard 9 route technique), Sanders begins to "weave" cornerback Phillip Gaines. That forces Gaines to open, close and then open again with his technique. That's a lot of work for Gaines to match to the upfield shoulder of Sanders. And as you can see, Sanders gets to a position where he can separate on the throw. That allows the wide receiver to stack on Gaines, make the catch and then add another 15-plus yards after the grab before safety Eric Berry creates an angle to pin him into the sideline. This is the type of game speed defensive backs have to respect when Sanders takes a vertical stem off the ball.

Honorable mention: Brandin Cooks, Saints

i

Craftiest route runner
Amari Cooper, Raiders

Think of the multiple breaking routes, the double moves and the silky smooth ability to glide in and out of cuts. That's Cooper's game. Yes, the Raiders receiver could be mentioned with both Brown and Fitzgerald as the best overall route runner in the game, but of his truly unique movement skills on the field, it's amazing how easy he makes this stuff look when he runs a slant-and-go or beats a defender down the field on the "sting" route (a deep double move: stem to the corner, break back to the post).

Cooper came into the league as a developed route runner after playing in Alabama's pro-style system and that shows on the tape. Just watch him run a deep comeback or break inside to the dig. Cooper works hard throughout the stem and there is very little wasted movement when he sinks to get out of his breaks. He's going to be a star in this league working with Raiders quarterback Derek Carr.

Honorable mention: Julian Edelman, Patriots

i

Best ball skills
Odell Beckham Jr., Giants

Beckham's 2014 one-handed grab against the Cowboys will live on forever. That's still the sickest catch I've ever seen. Watch enough of Beckham's tape, and it's clear he makes the highlight-reel catches look routine. Yes, his hands are off the charts, but it's also about his body control and his ability to flat-out finish plays. He's a special talent.

Look at how effortlessly he snatched this errant pass last season against the Jets:

Uncoverables_OBJBallSkills.gif

Sure, it might not be as impressive as the finish versus the Cowboys on that Sunday night, but this is also an inside-breaking route. That means there is some heat on this throw from Manning. Doesn't matter. Beckham snatches this thing with one hand away from his body -- and the ball just sticks there. Amazing.

Honorable mention: DeAndre Hopkins, Texans

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

Best at catching balls in traffic
Brandon Marshall, Jets

When I talk about receivers catching the ball in traffic, I immediately think about inside breaking routes -- the dig (square-in), curl, slant, etc. Receivers know whenever they run those routes, defenders will be waiting. Make the grab, take a hit and secure the ball.

This type of game caters to the frame and physicality of Marshall. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Marshall is built like a basketball small forward, and he knows how to use his size at the point of attack. That's why Marshall wins so often on those inside cuts. He can initiate contact to create some separation and then pin defensive backs to the outside. Essentially, he is shielding the defender from the ball. And he can take a shot too, from a safety dropping down or a linebacker patrolling the middle of the field. Big, strong and powerful. Marshall is the receiver you want to move the sticks on third down on inside routes.

Honorable mention: Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

i

Toughest to cover deep
Julio Jones, Falcons

Jones has to be the guy here, right? With the size/speed combo we discussed earlier, he can press the defensive vertically, split the secondary in half and climb the ladder to finish on 50-50 throws. The jump ball down the field? That's a high-percentage throw in the Falcons' system because Jones is going to take it away from the defensive back. Too big, too strong.

Check out how Jones absolutely destroyed the perfect defensive call from the Chargers to haul in a big gain earlier this season:

Uncoverables_JulioDeep.gif

This is Cover 2 from San Diego -- two-deep safeties over the top with a cornerback getting a jam on Jones at the line to disrupt the release. But the Falcons wide receiver runs right through the jam like it was nothing, immediately eats up the cushion of the safety and then splits the middle of the field. This is a great ball from QB Matt Ryan. Just put it out there for Jones to go get it. When I watch this play, I start to wonder: How do you stop this guy if you're a defensive coach/player? Perfect call and perfect coverage to limit the deep ball. And yet, Jones exposes the secondary again.

Honorable mention: A.J. Green

i

Toughest to tackle in space
Tavon Austin, Rams

This guy is lighting quick with the sudden burst/acceleration to break the ankles of defenders. We can see that in the return game too. You don't see many guys with his lateral speed, vision and the ability to stop and start on a dime. Good luck breaking down and trying to wrap this guy up in space.

There's a reason the Rams utilize Austin in multiple alignments and schemes. He will play in the slot, align outside of the numbers, carry the ball out of the backfield and make plays off the jet sweep. Even the simple bubble screen is going to put stress on the defense because Austin can find daylight and then embarrass tacklers once he gets up the field.

Honorable mention: Golden Tate, Lions

i

Best catch radius
Mike Evans, Buccaneers

Evans could have made this list in several categories because he's a matchup weapon at 6-foot-5, 230 pounds with 4.5 speed. But I like him here because of the massive catch radius he brings to the field. This allows Evans to catch passes well outside of his frame and finish plays versus man coverage. Whether that is in the red zone or out in the field, Evans is a weapon on 50-50 throws, the back-shoulder fade and balls that require him to adjust.

Look at this example from the Bucs-Falcons game earlier this season. Not many WRs can make this catch and hold on after the vicious hit from rookie safety Keanu Neal.

Uncoverables_Evans.gif

This a deep outside breaking route and Bucs quarterback Jameis Winston leaves this ball to the inside. But look at Evans' ability to reach back and pluck this pass out of the air with one hand. That's a great example of a wide receiver concentrating on making a catch outside of his frame, knowing full well he's going to get lit up. Big-time grab.

Honorable mention: Jordy Nelson

i

Toughest dude on the field
Steve Smith Sr., Ravens

Back in 2002, when I was playing safety for the Packers, Smith caught an inside curl route. I drove on the ball and went for the tackle. Smith wasn't having any of it. He gave me a stiff-arm to the chin that literally lifted me off the ground. And all I could do -- to avoid being dumped on the turf -- was reach out and grab Smith's face mask. It didn't work. Smith threw me off and went 61 yards for a near-touchdown while I got a 15-yard penalty. See ya.

Smith is one of the top competitors I ever played against. And he's also one of the toughest dudes I've ever seen on the field. You want to match up versus Smith? OK. Then you'd better be ready to work, because he is going to battle all day. And he raises the level of competition around him. That's a true football player.

Honorable mention: Doug Baldwin, Seahawks

i

Best run-blocker
Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals

There are a lot of great run-blocking wide receivers in the NFL. Guys who will work down the field and compete versus defensive backs to facilitate more production for their teammates. But I chose Fitzgerald here because of the blocking he does in the run front. Whether he is cracking down on the edge or leading up through the hole, the veteran isn't afraid to get dirty.

This is a classic power scheme from the 2015 game against the Packers, and the Cardinals use Fitz to help clear the way:

Uncoverables_Fitz.gif

Fitzgerald motioned down to a reduced split, and with the guard pulling to the edge, Fitz is left to block the primary support player. And he washes him down. That allows the guard to fit up on the cornerback as the Cardinals create an open running lane for David Johnson to get up the field and into the end zone for a touchdown.

Honorable mention: Demaryius Thomas, Broncos

i

Best up-and-comer
Terrelle Pryor, Browns

The Browns got an absolute steal with Pryor. I like his tape and you can see the development on the field from the former Ohio State quarterback. Given his size (6-foot-4, 223 pounds) and speed (estimated 4.4 range), Pryor can create matchups at all levels of the field. His route running, in particular, really jumps off the film. Pryor has solid footwork and the ability to create leverage back to the ball. Plus, he shows explosive play ability to stretch the defense and produce after the catch. With Pryor, the Browns have a young building block at the offensive skill positions. And he will continue to grow at the position.

Honorable mention: Stefon Diggs, Vikings

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i
1. Dallas Cowboys

No team in the NFL boasts two rookies as impactful as Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott and running back Ezekiel Elliott. Prescott is currently No. 14 in PFF's quarterback grades this season and is completing 72.0 percent of his passes when the Dallas offensive line keeps him clean. Elliott is the highest-graded running back in the entire league, and talk of him winning the NFL's MVP award is absolutely warranted. Not only does he lead the NFL in rushing yards, but he's also seventh in average yards per carry after contact. Elliott has impressed as a receiver too, forcing eight missed tackles on 28 receptions.

Ezekiel Elliott RB Ohio State
2/34 Jaylon Smith OLB Notre Dame
3/67 Maliek Collins DT Nebraska
4/101 Charles Tapper DE Oklahoma
4/135 Dak Prescott QB Mississippi State
6/189 Anthony Brown CB Purdue
6/212 Kavon Frazier S Central Michigan
6/216 Darius Jackson RB Eastern Michigan
6/217 Rico Gathers TE Baylor

i

2. Kansas City Chiefs
Fifth-round draft pick Tyreek Hill has made a huge impact on special teams and on offense. The wide receiver has forced 13 missed tackles on 56 receptions, and another three on 14 carries. His role has grown as the season has progressed and he has seen 39 targets over the past five weeks. On defense, Chris Jones has been a menace as an interior pass-rusher over the past seven weeks, producing two sacks, five hits and 21 hurries on 193 pass-rushing attempts. That has yielded a pass-rushing productivity rating of 11.1 that ranks second among 3-4 defensive ends over that span.

Chris Jones DT Mississippi State
3/74 KeiVarae Russell CB Notre Dame
4/105 Parker Ehinger G Cincinnati
4/106 Eric Murray CB Minnesota
4/126 Demarcus Robinson WR Florida
5/162 Kevin Hogan QB Stanford
5/165 Tyreek Hill WR West Alabama
6/178 D.J. White CB Georgia Tech
6/203 Dadi Lhomme Nicolas OLB Virginia Tech

i

3. Chicago Bears
Few teams are getting as many snaps from rookies as the Bears are -- and even fewer teams are getting as much positive impact from those players. Center Cody Whitehair and running back Jordan Howard already are playing like two of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions. Since Howard became the starter in Week 3, only Elliott, Jay Ajayi and Le'Veon Bell have more yards after contact than Howard's 582. Whitehair currently ranks seventh in PFF's center grades at 84.9.

Leonard Floyd OLB Georgia
2/56 Cody Whitehair G Kansas State
3/72 Jonathan Bullard DE Florida
4/113 Nick Kwiatkoski ILB West Virginia
4/124 Deon Bush S Miami
4/127 Deiondre' Hall CB Northern Iowa
5/150 Jordan Howard RB Indiana
6/185 DeAndre Houston-Carson S William & Mary
7/230 Daniel Braverman WR Western Michigan

i

4. Tennessee Titans
The Titans are enjoying a solid season that has them currently tied for the lead in the AFC South, and they've been helped by the play of several rookies. First-round draft pick Jack Conklin has been the standout, manning his right tackle spot and allowing just two sacks, two hits and 20 hurries on 446 pass-blocking snaps this season. He kept Denver's star edge rusher Von Miller in check in Tennessee's win on Sunday, giving up zero sacks or hurries all game. Running back Derrick Henry has impressed as the backup to DeMarco Murray, forcing 10 missed tackles on 82 carries. On defense, third-round safety Kevin Byard has moved into a starting role, recording 12 tackles that have resulted in a defensive stop.

Jack Conklin OT Michigan State
2/33 Kevin Dodd DE Clemson
2/43 Austin Johnson DT Penn State
2/45 Derrick Henry RB Alabama
3/64 Kevin Byard S Middle Tennessee
5/140 Tajae Sharpe WR UMass
5/157 LeShaun Sims CB Southern Utah
6/193 Sebastian Tretola G Arkansas
7/222 Aaron Wallace OLB UCLA
7/253 Kalan Reed CB Southern Mississippi

i

5. San Diego Chargers
It took until Week 5 for him to get on the field, but Joey Bosa is proving himself worthy of the third overall selection in the draft -- and then some. He has recorded seven sacks, 11 hits and 27 hurries on 250 snaps as a pass-rusher and has made an impact against the run too. He currently ranks fifth among all edge defenders in PFF grades with an 89.0. Linebacker Jatavis Brown has made an impact too, registering 18 tackles resulting in a defensive stop and impressing in coverage and as a blitzer.

Joey Bosa DE Ohio State
2/35 Hunter Henry TE Arkansas
3/66 Max Tuerk C Southern Cal
4/102 Joshua Perry ILB Ohio State
5/175 Jatavis Brown OLB Akron
6/179 Drew Kaser P Texas A&M
6/198 Derek Watt FB Wisconsin
7/224 Donavon Clark G Michigan State

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i
6. New York Giants

As everyone guessed in the preseason, undrafted safety Andrew Adams has been the most impactful first-year player for the Giants in 2016. The Connecticut product has allowed a total of 35 yards all season in 369 coverage snaps. Second-rounder Sterling Shepard has firmly established himself as Eli Manning's No. 2 option, although his 1.09 yards per route is the worst mark among starting wideouts. First-rounder Eli Apple has been adequate as the Giants' nickel corner, allowing a passer rating of 86.3 when targeted.

Eli Apple CB Ohio State
2/40 Sterling Shepard WR Oklahoma
3/71 Darian Thompson S Boise State
4/109 B.J. Goodson ILB Clemson
5/149 Paul Perkins RB UCLA
6/184 Jerell Adams TE South Carolina

i
7. Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens have gotten significant contributions from several of their 11 draft selections already. Tavon Young has been the star of the group so far, leading all rookie cornerbacks with a PFF grade of 82.5, which ranks 19th overall. Seventh overall pick Ronnie Stanley has struggled at times this season in addition to missing time because of injury. The Notre Dame product has surrendered two sacks and 24 total pressures, but did play very well in Monday night's loss to New England, both as a run-blocker and allowing just one hurry in pass protection. Guard Alex Lewis struggled when he was forced to play left tackle, but he has shown flashes of ability when healthy, allowing only one sack overall.

Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame
2/42 Kamalei Correa OLB Boise State
3/70 Bronson Kaufusi DE BYU
4/104 Tavon Young CB Temple
4/107 Chris Moore WR Cincinnati
4/130 Alex Lewis OT Nebraska
4/132 Willie Henry DT Michigan
4/134 Kenneth Dixon RB Louisiana Tech
5/146 Matt Judon DE Grand Valley State University
6/182 Keenan Reynolds WR Navy
6/209 Maurice Canady CB Virginia

i
8. Cleveland Browns

With 14 draft picks, no team took a bigger dredge to the draft than the Browns in April. With so little talent on the roster, the team has had to play a lot of rookies, but ironically the best-performing rookie of the bunch wasn't one of Cleveland's 14 draft choices. That distinction belongs to cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun, who has been particularly impressive in the running game. Injuries have hampered WR Corey Coleman, but he teased hints of what he could do by tying Giants CB Janoris Jenkins in knots for a touchdown two weeks ago. And while QB Cody Kessler played well when on the field, injuries have undermined his season.

Corey Coleman WR Baylor
2/32 Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma State
3/65 Carl Nassib DE Penn State
3/76 Shon Coleman OT Auburn
3/93 Cody Kessler QB Southern Cal
4/99 Joe Schobert OLB Wisconsin
4/114 Ricardo Louis WR Auburn
4/129 Derrick Kindred S TCU
4/138 Seth DeValve WR Princeton
5/154 Jordan Payton WR UCLA
5/168 Spencer Drango OT Baylor
5/172 Rashard Higgins WR Colorado State
5/173 Trey Caldwell CB Louisiana Monroe
7/250 Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

i
9. New England Patriots

The Patriots had nine draft picks, and while several have made key contributions already, only Joe Thuney has nailed down a consistent starting spot. He has played all 902 offensive snaps for the Patriots at guard, surrendering two sacks, eight hits and 26 hurries. Elandon Roberts flashed quality play around the time the team dealt Jamie Collins to the Browns, but has since fallen off. And, of course, quarterback Jacoby Brissett was instrumental in two of the team's first three wins without Tom Brady after Jimmy Garoppolo was injured.

Cyrus Jones CB Alabama
3/78 Joe Thuney G NC State
3/91 Jacoby Brissett QB NC State
3/96 Vincent Valentine DT Nebraska
4/112 Malcolm Mitchell WR Georgia
6/208 Kamu Grugier-Hill OLB Eastern Illinois
6/214 Elandon Roberts ILB Houston
6/221 Ted Karras G Illinois
7/225 Devin Lucien WR Arizona State

i
10. Philadelphia Eagles

The big story for the Eagles has been Carson Wentz's hot start and subsequent cooling off. When kept clean, Wentz has completed 70.2 percent of his throws with 12 touchdowns and five interceptions. Under pressure, that number drops to 43.4 percent and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is 1-7. Wentz has been inconsistent throwing the ball downfield, completing 18 of 53 passes he has attempted of at least 20 yards for four touchdowns and five interceptions. RB Wendell Smallwood has seen some opportunities but has forced just six missed tackles from 77 carries. On defense, seventh-round pick Jalen Mills allowed 686 yards in coverage, the seventh-most of any cornerback in the NFL.

Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
3/79 Isaac Seumalo C Oregon State
5/153 Wendell Smallwood RB West Virginia
5/164 Halapoulivaati Vaitai OT TCU
6/196 Blake Countess CB Auburn
7/233 Jalen Mills S Louisiana State
7/240 Alex McCalister DE Florida
7/251 Joe Walker ILB Oregon

i
11. Atlanta Falcons

Fed up with the coverage prowess of their underneath defenders a season ago, the Falcons completely overhauled their linebackers and safeties, thrusting Deion Jones, De'Vondre Campbell and Keanu Neal into starting roles. While all have been upgrades over their predecessors, they've had their ups and downs. Neal has given up the third-most yards of any safety, while Campbell and Jones both own below-average run defense grades. Still, they are all major contributors on a team that appears playoff-bound.

Keanu Neal S Florida
2/52 Deion Jones OLB Louisiana State
3/81 Austin Hooper TE Stanford
4/115 De'Vondre Campbell OLB Minnesota
6/195 Wes Schweitzer G San Jose State
7/238 Devin Fuller WR UCLA

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i
12. Jacksonville Jaguars

CB Jalen Ramsey, the fifth overall selection in the draft, has slotted straight into his role as a starter. Despite some inconsistent play, he has generally looked like the player the Jaguars were hoping for when they drafted him. He has allowed 56.9 percent of the passes thrown into his coverage to be caught for 525 yards and three touchdowns, with four pass breakups recorded. LB Myles Jack has flashed potential too, with just one missed tackle and eight tackles resulting in a defensive stop. DE Yannick Ngakoue has struggled against the run but is second on the team with 38 total quarterback pressures.

Jalen Ramsey CB Florida St
2/36 Myles Jack OLB UCLA
3/69 Yannick Ngakoue DE Maryland
4/103 Sheldon Day DT Notre Dame
6/181 Tyrone Holmes DE Montana
6/201 Brandon Allen QB Arkansas
7/226 Jonathan Woodard DE Central Arkansas

i
13. New Orleans Saints

Michael Thomas has been about as big of a slam dunk as one could expect from a rookie second-round pick. No other starting first-year wideout has been close. His 1.92 yards per route run is second best only to Kansas City's Hill among rookie receivers. Undrafted rookie corner Ken Crawley has been forced into playing time because of injury and has predictably struggled. His 1.48 yards allowed per coverage snap rank 96th out of 122 qualifying corners. The one name we haven't mentioned yet is first-round pick Sheldon Rankins, who has collected only nine pressures since coming back from a broken fibula in Week 9.

Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville
2/47 Michael Thomas WR Ohio State
2/61 Vonn Bell S Ohio State
4/120 David Onyemata DT Manitoba
7/237 Daniel Lasco RB California

i
14. Detroit Lions

It's always nice to know you've hit on a first-rounder, and the Lions look to have done just that. Taylor Decker is already grading out as one of the better left tackles in the league as a run-blocker, and even though he isn't great in pass protection, he's still much better than the majority of rookies we've seen at the position in the past 10 seasons. The only other rookies receiving meaningful playing time are A'Shawn Robinson and Anthony Zettel, and neither is making much of an impact.

Taylor Decker OT Ohio State
2/46 A'Shawn Robinson DT Alabama
3/95 Graham Glasgow C Michigan
4/111 Miles Killebrew S Southern Utah
5/151 Joe Dahl G Washington State
5/169 Antwione Williams OLB Georgia Southern
6/191 Jake Rudock QB Michigan
6/202 Anthony Zettel DE Penn State
6/210 Jimmy Landes LS Baylor
7/236 Dwayne Washington RB Washington

i
15. Denver Broncos

The Broncos didn't expect to have to play quarterback Paxton Lynch this year, and when he has taken the field, the results have been as expected. He has a passer rating of just 27.1 when pressured and has completed only one of his 14 attempted passes of 20 yards or more in the air. RB Devontae Booker has seen his role grow as the season has progressed, with 359 of his 510 yards coming after contact. On the defensive side of the ball, rookie DBs Will Parks and Justin Simmons have each played fewer than 206 snaps, but both have looked solid when they've been on the field.

Paxton Lynch QB Memphis
2/63 Adam Gotsis DE Georgia Tech
3/98 Justin Simmons S Boston College
4/136 Devontae Booker RB Utah
5/144 Connor McGovern G Missouri
6/176 Andy Janovich FB Nebraska
6/219 Will Parks S Arizona
7/228 Riley Dixon P Syracuse

i
16. Green Bay Packers

Blake Martinez has been a welcome upgrade over what the Packers had at inside linebacker a season ago. His 9.7 run-stop percentage is 20th among inside linebackers this season; for comparison, Clay Matthews' was 5.4 a season ago. No other rookie had been receiving meaningful snaps until second-round pick Jason Spriggs was thrust into action a few weeks ago when T.J. Lang went down. The former Indiana left tackle looked particularly out of place in his first game against the Eagles, but fared much better against the Texans in Week 13, surrendering just one QB hurry.

Kenny Clark DT UCLA
2/48 Jason Spriggs OT Indiana
3/88 Kyler Fackrell OLB Utah State
4/131 Blake Martinez ILB Stanford
4/137 Dean Lowry DE Northwestern
5/163 Trevor Davis WR California
6/200 Kyle Murphy OT Stanford

i
17. San Francisco 49ers

Three of San Francisco's first four picks have played considerable roles this season. DeForest Buckner's 823 snaps leads all interior defenders, not just rookies. He has been steadily solid for the 49ers, collecting 39 total pressures. Fourth-rounder Rashard Robinson already looks like a steal. Outside of a disaster against Tampa Bay when he gave up two touchdowns, Robinson has been solid, allowing a completion rate under 50 percent as the team's nickel corner.

DeForest Buckner DE Oregon
1/28 Joshua Garnett G Stanford
3/68 Will Redmond CB Mississippi State
4/133 Rashard Robinson CB Louisiana State
5/142 Ronald Blair DT Appalachian State
5/145 John Theus OT Georgia
5/174 Fahn Cooper OT Ole Miss
6/207 Jeff Driskel QB Louisiana Tech
6/211 Kelvin Taylor RB Florida
6/213 Aaron Burbridge WR Michigan State
7/249 Prince Charles Iworah CB Western Kentucky

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i
18. Miami Dolphins

Laremy Tunsil has started all season, primarily at left guard, but has seen two starts at left tackle filling in for an injured Branden Albert. Tunsil has flashed very good play, particularly as a run-blocker, but his pass protection has been spottier. He has surrendered 19 total pressures, albeit just one sack. CB Xavien Howard had played 304 snaps, all in the first four weeks, allowing 65.4 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught before getting injured. The rest of the class has seen minimal playing time on offense or defense, though Jakeem Grant has looked electric on special teams.

Laremy Tunsil OT Ole Miss
2/38 Xavien Howard CB Baylor
3/73 Kenyan Drake RB Alabama
3/86 Leonte Carroo WR Rutgers
6/186 Jakeem Grant WR Texas Tech
6/204 Jordan Lucas S Penn State
7/223 Brandon Doughty QB Western Kentucky
7/231 Thomas Duarte WR UCLA

i
19. Pittsburgh Steelers

Artie Burns and Sean Davis have been significant members of the Pittsburgh secondary, which goes a long way in explaining some of its shortcomings this season. Burns has allowed five touchdowns on 68 targets, and Davis has allowed 84.2 percent of the passes thrown his way to be caught. Javon Hargrave has played 335 snaps on defense up front for Pittsburgh; he has notched 13 total pressures and nine defensive stops as a starter on the nose, with his best game coming against a weak Indianapolis line on Thanksgiving Day.

Artie Burns CB Miami
2/58 Sean Davis S Maryland
3/89 Javon Hargrave DT South Carolina State
4/123 Jerald Hawkins OT Louisiana State
6/220 Travis Feeney OLB Washington
7/229 Demarcus Ayers WR Houston
7/246 Tyler Matakevich ILB Temple

i
20. Oakland Raiders

Oakland's success this season has come in large part thanks to the success of recent drafts, but the Raiders could still use more from their 2016 class. Safety Karl Joseph has looked the part and is PFF's 17th-ranked safety in coverage this season. Second-round draft pick Jihad Ward hasn't made a positive impact on the defensive line, though, registering just eight hits and 18 hurries on 331 pass-rushing attempts and recording 11 tackles resulting in a defensive stop.
Karl Joseph S West Virginia
2/44 Jihad Ward DE Illinois
3/75 Shilique Calhoun DE Michigan State
4/100 Connor Cook QB Michigan State
5/143 DeAndre Washington RB Texas Tech
6/194 Cory James OLB Colorado State
7/234 Vadal Alexander G LSU

i
21. Carolina Panthers

The Panthers were forced to start multiple rookies at corner out of necessity, and the results have been mixed. James Bradberry had a rocky start to the season, but since his return from injury in Week 9, he has been fantastic, allowing fewer than 7 yards per target. Third-rounder Daryl Worley is the other rookie starter at corner, and his results have lagged behind those of Bradberry. Worley is allowing a passer rating of 97.5 this year when targeted.

Vernon Butler DT Louisiana Tech
2/62 James Bradberry CB Samford
3/77 Daryl Worley CB West Virginia
5/141 Zack Sanchez CB Oklahoma
7/252 Beau Sandland TE Montana State

i
22. Buffalo Bills

Buffalo's draft class was dealt a major blow before the season ever began with LB Reggie Ragland being lost for the season and DE Shaq Lawson undergoing surgery that delayed his appearance on the field. DT Adolphus Washington has shouldered the biggest workload, with 287 defensive snaps. He has notched three sacks but only five total pressures. Sixth-round pick CB Kevon Seymour also has seen significant playing time but has yet to distinguish himself. Lawson, who has since returned to the field, is still working to make a major impact. He has 10 total pressures on 183 snaps.

Shaq Lawson DE Clemson
2/41 Reggie Ragland ILB Alabama
3/80 Adolphus Washington DT Ohio State
4/139 Cardale Jones QB Ohio State
5/156 Jonathan Williams RB Arkansas
6/192 Kolby Listenbee WR TCU
6/218 Kevon Seymour CB Southern Cal

i
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Cornerback is not a position to judge too harshly in Year 1, but Vernon Hargreaves' rookie season hasn't been too encouraging. He has allowed 781 yards in coverage so far, the most in the league. Defensive end Noah Spence is having himself a tad better introductory season. His 8.9 pass-rushing productivity ranks third-best among rookie defensive linemen.

Vernon Hargreaves III CB Florida
2/39 Noah Spence OLB Eastern Kentucky
2/59 Roberto Aguayo K Florida St
4/108 Ryan Smith CB North Carolina Central
5/148 Caleb Benenoch OT UCLA
6/183 Devante Bond OLB Oklahoma
6/197 Dan Vitale FB Northwestern