Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

16. *Carl Lawson, DE, Auburn
A 6-2, 250-pound pass-rusher, Lawson has always been a spectacular talent, but he has had some injury issues. He missed all of 2014 with a torn ACL and missed six games in 2015 with a hip injury. Now healthy, he has 6.5 sacks for the Tigers so far. He's showing off the potential, even if his pass-rushing moves are still developing.

i

17. *JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
Smith-Schuster has three consecutive 100-yard receiving games as the Trojans have finally gotten some stability at quarterback. That includes three-touchdown games in wins over Arizona State and Arizona. He has the talent and ability to be an an elite wide receiver in the NFL. With a coveted combination of size (6-2, 220) and speed, Smith-Schuster is what teams look for in No. 1 wideouts.

i

18. **Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
At 6-1, Humphrey is a big, lockdown corner, and he's improving every week. He had three interceptions as a redshirt freshman last season and was a key playmaker for the national champs. He has two interceptions this season, and the first was returned for a touchdown in the Tide's beatdown of USC in Week 1. Humphrey has great bloodlines: His father, Bobby, was a big-time running back at Alabama who was picked by the Broncos in the first round of the 1989 supplemental draft.

i

19. *Elijah Qualls, DT, Washington
The 6-1, 321-pound defensive tackle is impressive. Qualls had 4.5 sacks in 2015, and he has two for the undefeated Huskies in 2016. He's not tall, but his frame allows him to eat up space and take on blockers, which helps the rest of the solid Washington defense. The Huskies are giving up only 14.6 points per game this season, sixth-best in the country.

i

20. *Teez Tabor, CB, Florida
Tabor just makes plays. He showed up in big moments every time I turned on last season's tape, breaking up passes and locking down receivers. He returned two interceptions for touchdowns in 2015. You can argue that Tabor was the most consistently effective Florida cornerback last season -- and Vernon Hargreaves III went No. 11 overall to the Bucs. Tabor has an interception in his past three games, including a 39-yard touchdown return vs. Missouri, and four on the season.

i

21. O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
Howard hasn't been a prolific pass-catcher at Alabama, but he has all the tools scouts look for in an NFL tight end. He's coming off his best game of the season, with eight catches for 69 yards and a touchdown in the Crimson Tide's win over Texas A&M. At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds, he is going to light up the NFL combine. He can stretch the deep middle of the field and become a more dynamic weapon. He could be a playmaker in the NFL. Just look at last season's national title game, in which he had 208 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

i

22. *Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
Harris has moved up and down on my Big Board a couple of times, but his highlight was his play in the Tigers' loss to Georgia. He was tremendously disruptive, with three sacks, a tackle for loss and a batted-down pass, and he showed off a variety of pass-rushing moves. He doesn't have a full sack in any other game this season, though. A 6-3, 255-pound pass-rusher, Harris can stand up in a 3-4 or put his hand on the ground in a 4-3. He even moved inside to defensive tackle a few times to rush the quarterback. Last season, he led the SEC with 18.5 tackles for loss.

i

23. *Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
Hodges is an unbelievable athlete. I think he'll be one of the fastest tight ends of the past few years when he runs at the combine. A former high school quarterback, Hodges is coming off his best game of the season. He had seven catches for 66 yards and two touchdowns in the Hokies' rout of Miami. At 6-7, 245 pounds, he's imposing. He's productive, too, with 18 career touchdowns. In a great tight end class, Hodges might be the best.

i

24. *Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
I'm not sure Robinson can be a left tackle in the NFL, but he could be a great right tackle. At 6-6, 327 pounds, Robinson was a starter from day one at Alabama, and he's already a known commodity around the NFL. He's battle-tested and extremely consistent. He had some battles with Garrett and the other talented Texas A&M defensive linemen, and he held up well.

i

25. *Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
Watson has moved down a spot in my quarterback rankings, but that's not because of him. He had a funky start to the season, but he has played better in recent weeks, though the interceptions are worrisome. He had three in the win over Louisville. But then you look at the rest of the game, and he was really impressive. He completed 64.5 percent of his passes. He ran for 91 yards. At 6-2 and 210 pounds, he might not have ideal size, but he isn't small. He combines arm strength with touch and has tremendous ability with the ball in his hands, and that doesn't just mean running. He also throws well on the move.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Draft rankings: Three future NBA All-Stars at point guard

This season's point guards make up the best group we've seen in years, and NBA teams can't wait.

Three potential All-Stars top the rankings.

Let's take a look: Who are the best point guards in the 2017 NBA draft class?

With the college basketball season just a couple of weeks away, we're starting our rundown of the top NBA draft prospects by position.

Last year ended up being a solid draft for point guards. Two PGs -- Kris Dunn and Jamal Murray -- went in the lottery. Two more -- Wade Baldwin and Dejounte Murray -- went in the first round. And second-rounders such as Tyler Ulis, Demetrius Jackson and Kay Felder look as if they'll have a role in the NBA after falling into the second round.

This year the crop is much stronger. It's perhaps the strongest overall since 2009, when five point guards went in the top 10, including reigning MVP Stephen Curry, and 11 went in the first round. We're projecting five point guards to be taken in the top 10 and potentially 10 in the first round.

It's worth reminding fans that this list isn't a list of the best players for the college season -- these are the best NBA prospects. In many cases, those two categories don't align exactly.

Insider spoke with a number of NBA GMs and scouts in an attempt to aggregate the rankings. Expect them to change as the season gets underway.

Potential NBA All-Stars
i

1. Markelle Fultz
Washington
Freshman
Top 100: No. 2

i

2. Dennis Smith
NC State
Freshman
Top 100: No. 4

i

3. Frank Ntilikina
France
Top 100: No. 6

The potential for having three All-Star point guards in the same draft makes this crop really special.

Fultz has been riding a wave of good reviews from NBA scouts since strong performances at the McDonald's All American Game, the Nike Hoop Summit and the FIBA Americas Under-18 Championship. After failing to make varsity as a high school sophomore, he's made major strides, and many NBA folks think he might ultimately leapfrog Kansas forward Josh Jackson as the No. 1 pick.

Fultz has everything you look for in a point guard -- size, athleticism, an ability to score from anywhere on the floor, leadership and poise.

"He's the best point guard prospect to come along in a while," one veteran NBA scout said. "There aren't really any major flaws in his game and he keeps improving every time I see him. He's got a chance to be a star."

Smith missed his senior season after an ACL tear, but he seems to have fully recovered. He's an elite athlete, a blur in the open court and an elite finisher at the rim. If he can show consistent 3-point range and stay healthy, he could easily end up being a top-three pick.

"I thought he was the best point guard in the class before his injury," one scout said. "I won't be surprised if he's in the mix for No. 1. He doesn't have the size and shooting of Fultz, but he's a more dynamic scorer and playmaker."

While Fultz and Smith will get much of the attention domestically, NBA scouts insist that Ntilikina is the same quality prospect. He might see the floor better than anyone else in the draft. His jump shot is his biggest weakness and his lack of exposure in the NCAA might hurt his case for the No. 1 pick, but the talent is there.

"If he were playing at Kentucky or Duke, he'd be in the mix for the No. 1 pick," a scout said. "If you are picking in the top five and need a point guard, I'm not sure you can go wrong with any of these guys."

Potential NBA starters
i

4. Lonzo Ball
UCLA
Freshman
Top 100:
No. 7

i

5. De'Aaron Fox
Kentucky
Freshman
Top 100: No. 11

The consensus breaks down somewhat after Fultz, Smith and Ntilikina, but Ball and Fox are widely considered the other two potential lottery picks at the position.

Ball is one of the most versatile players in the draft. He averaged a triple-double in high school and is a highlight reel waiting to happen. His dynamic court vision and deep range on his jumper have had some scouts comparing him to Steph Curry. However, Ball isn't anywhere near Curry when it comes to accuracy as a shooter. Some scouts question his ability to transition from a unique high school system to the pros, but most feel he has a chance to be a star at UCLA.

Fox follows a long line of elite Kentucky point guards and draws John Wall as his closest UK PG comp. He's not quite the athlete or playmaker Wall was, though, and his inconsistent jump shot needs work. But in a normal point guard draft he could be a top-five pick.

Potential NBA role players
This group contains players at least one scout mentioned as potential late first-round picks. Although most of them won't make the leap to NBA starter, they can play valuable roles coming off the bench.

Sumner had a surprisingly good freshman season and followed it up with a major breakout this summer at the Nike Skills Academy. He's got all the physical tools scouts crave in an NBA point guard; he just needs to show better decision-making and shooting accuracy as a sophomore.

Brunson takes the reins of the defending college basketball champs. He's neither an elite athlete nor the most dynamic point guard in the group, but his high basketball IQ and toughness have many NBA scouts fond of him.

Jackson was a top-10 prospect in high school, but teams worry whether he's really a point guard or just an undersized 2-guard. He is a terrific shooter and athlete. I've heard Jerryd Bayless comps from scouts.

Graham used a strong summer to become a contender for the late first round. His ability to play both spots in the backcourt, along with his shooting and poise, have some scouts pegging him as a terrific backup point guard in the NBA.

Morris is the most steady of the group. His assist-to-turnover ratio has been head-turning while at Iowa State. The guy rarely makes a mistake. If he can prove to scouts that his lack of athleticism won't kill him defensively in the pros, he looks like a consummate NBA backup PG.

Simmons measured a 45-inch vertical at Arizona last month, but that's not the only thing going for him. He is a bit of a combo guard now, but he has the length, skills and quickness to be a point guard in the NBA. His decision-making can be suspect and he needs to continue to add strength, but his ability to get the ball in the basket -- at the rim and on the perimeter -- make him an intriguing prospect. He's probably at least another year away, but there's a lot of talent there.

Others to watch: P.J. Dozier, South Carolina; Shake Milton, SMU; Tyler Dorsey, Oregon; Isaiah Briscoe, Kentucky; Joel Berry, North Carolina; Andrew Jones, Texas; Melo Trimble, Maryland; Kenan Sipahi, Kosovo; Jawun Evans, Oklahoma State.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

NBA draft rankings: Who are the top shooting guards to watch?

Who are the best shooting guard prospects in this NBA draft class?

The list is led by a dynamic scorer from Kentucky and an American sharpshooter playing overseas.

Let's take a look.

Earlier this week, we scouted the point guards. Now we turn to shooting guards.

While the NBA has been moving more and more to lumping together shooting guards and small forwards as wings and using each interchangeably, we still see some value in categorizing players based on the position they're most likely to play in the NBA.

Shooting guards are the rarest find in the draft lately. Last draft, only one true shooting guard, Buddy Hield, was selected in the lottery. The year before, Devin Booker was the only true shooting guard to go in the lottery. This year, we're projecting just one lottery pick and a total of four first-rounders, so the crop looks pretty similar.

It's worth reminding fans that this isn't a list of the best players for the college season -- these are the best NBA prospects. In many cases, those two categories don't align exactly.

Insider spoke with a number of NBA GMs and scouts in an attempt to aggregate the rankings. Expect them to change as the season gets underway.

Potential NBA starter
i

Malik Monk
Kentucky
Freshman
Top 100: No. 8

Monk's stock took a major leap when he wowed scouts at Kentucky's pro day. His combination of elite athleticism (45-inch vertical) and slashing ability had a few scouts comparing him to a young Russell Westbrook.

Monk's lack of size and length for the position is the major knock on his pro potential. You don't often see 6-foot-3 shooting guards dominate in the NBA. Increasingly, though, the scouts I talk to think Monk could make the move to point guard as a pro.

At Kentucky, Monk won't likely be able to showcase PG skills with De'Aaron Fox running the point. Instead, Monk will be asked to fill Jamal Murray's role from last year. Still, Kentucky isn't afraid to put three ball handlers on the floor, and scouts should get a good glimpse of what he can and can't do.

Scouts want to see him be more unselfish with the ball and more aggressive on the defensive end. If he puts it all together, he could surpass this ranking -- and might even move into the point guard category -- by the end of the season.

"I think he's got a chance to be the most dynamic scorer in college basketball this year," one NBA scout said. "He's very, very aggressive with the ball and he can score it from anywhere.

"I think he can be a point guard. I don't like the Westbrook comparison, because no one in the world is as athletic and as mean as Russ, but I could see him playing a similar type of game and thriving in it. I walked away from the pro day thinking this kid will end up a top-10 pick."

Potential NBA role players
Ferguson would've probably ended up in the same category as Monk had he decided to keep his commitment to Arizona, but financial pressures and questions about his eligibility led him to play pro ball in Australia this year. Still, he's riding some good will from a dominant performance at the Nike Hoop Summit. If he can keep shooting the lights out in Australia and in workouts, he could sneak back into the lottery.

"I loved Ferguson at the Hoop Summit," one NBA GM said. "Deep range, silky stroke. Confident. I don't like his decision to play in Australia. It's a good league, but I feel like he cost himself 10 to 15 spots in the draft because of it."

Mushidi's combination of strength, explosive athletic ability and aggressiveness on both ends of the court has scouts intrigued by his potential. He lacks a consistent 3-point shot, and his decision making is still a work in progress, but the raw physical tools are there for him to be a solid NBA player.

Allen had a dominant sophomore season at Duke but didn't see the needle move much at all on his draft stock. His overly aggressive play, lack of size and challenges with making the transition to part-time point guard at Duke balanced out his gaudy scoring and shooting numbers. With so much talent around him this year, scouts think that the pressure will be off Allen to do everything, and he might be able to convince a team to grab him in the first round.

Vick was an afterthought as a freshman at Kansas, but he has been super impressive this summer and in practices. The word from folks who have watched him closely this fall is that he's ready to take a major leap.

He's an elite athlete who has been knocking down shots and playing aggressively on defense. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, Vick looks poised to play a major role at Kansas, and scouts are excited about his upside. It might take him another season to get there, but he's a player whom scouts will be monitoring closely.

Finally, Atkins is drawing some attention as well thanks to an elite physical profile. He's strong and explosive and he punishes opponents with his physicality on both ends of the court. If he can make jump shots to open up his driving game, he's going to move up draft boards quickly.

Others to watch: Josh Hart, Villanova; Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, Kansas; Luke Kennard, Duke; Allonzo Trier, Arizona; Blaz Mesicek, Slovenia; E.C. Matthews, Rhode Island; Antonio Blakeney, LSU; Zak Irvin, Michigan; Malcolm Hill, Illinois; Jabari Bird, Cal; Dillon Brooks, Oregon; JaQuan Lyle, Ohio State; Ludde Hakanson, Sweden.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
How does this freshman class stack up against the best?

You might have heard that this is the "Year of the Freshmen," and maybe you've wondered how we can be so sure after only one weekend of games.

There are no guarantees, of course, but this does appear to be an uncommonly strong group, one that includes Harry Giles, Josh Jackson, Markelle Fultz, Jayson Tatum, Lonzo Ball, Edrice "Bam" Adebayo and De'Aaron Fox. We've already compared this bunch favorably with the storied class of 2013-14, one headlined by the likes of Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid, Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle.

That's a high standard to match, to say the least. Assuming the freshman class of 2016-17 lives up to its billing, what will that look like, exactly? And what have we seen from these players thus far that indicates they can earn such praise?

Here's what we think we know about what a truly "special" class will look like, and why this current group may merit that label:

Even with a class this strong, there probably will be a surprisingly small number of all-conference freshmen

Each season only six freshmen, on average, are honored as being one of the 10 best players in their respective conferences (whether that entails making a five-member all-league "first" team, a 10-member first team or even a five-member "second" team following an identically sized first unit).

For what it's worth, this number has been steady over the past four seasons -- never higher than seven, never lower than five. It might seem like a small number at first blush, but as a group these new stars are competing in a zero-sum game for individual accolades with the other 75 percent of the sport's players (sophomores, juniors and seniors). When you think of the competition for all-conference honors in the ACC this season, for example, you get a sense of what even the most talented freshmen are up against.

Maybe NBA draft destiny shouldn't matter ... but NBA draft destiny matters

Part of the legend of that 2013-14 class was cemented after it departed the college game. Wiggins, Parker, Embiid and Gordon were selected with the first, second, third and fourth overall picks in the 2014 NBA draft. To this day, the 2013-14 freshman class is the only one in the one-and-done era to have accounted for all of the ensuing draft's first four picks.

Needless to say, this is not an entirely fair standard with which to judge classes. Freshmen can't control which international players become eligible this season, or which veteran college stars are going to blow up Buddy Hield-style in any given year. Nevertheless, domination of the top of the subsequent draft is one of the ways a "year of the freshmen" proves that it really has come to pass. Certainly this class has the talent required to exercise that kind of domination.

Even a freshman as talented as Fultz might find it difficult to markedly improve his team

I've touched on this previously, so I'll merely summarize what research on the fate of past elite freshmen suggests: Fultz might record individual stats for Washington this season that don't compare all that well with freshmen playing for national-title-contending programs.

That has been the pattern in the one-and-done era, elite freshmen playing for non-blue-chip programs have recorded offensive ratings that are significantly lower than what their similarly rated peers at top programs have posted. At a minimum Fultz will be swimming against the same "great prospect on a so-so team" tide that faced predecessors like Ben Simmons and D'Angelo Russell.

Still, FIBA stats indicate Fultz could well be the real deal

This past summer Fultz played under Texas coach Shaka Smart, as Team USA took gold at the FIBA Americas U18 championships. The level of competition wasn't always uniformly daunting (Team USA won one of its games by 41 points), but FIBA competitions are rare occasions where we can see highly touted freshmen to be playing under college coaches in situations where individual glory on the stat sheet takes a back seat to the success of the national team.

As it happens, Fultz performed exceptionally well in those circumstances, converting a rather remarkable 66 percent of his 2-pointers and taking outstanding care of the ball (only 11 turnovers in 439 personal possessions). Again, not every defense Fultz faced over the course of five games was particularly ferocious, but these numbers are still in line with what one would expect from an elite lead guard playing in international competition.

Jackson appears to be in a perfect position to excel as a freshman

Each player has his own unique characteristics, of course, but it's not as if we haven't seen a player of Jackson's type do great things at the same position and in the same uniform. Three seasons ago Wiggins more than lived up to the hype as a small forward at Kansas, leading his team to yet another Big 12 title and earning himself consensus second-team All-American honors.

So we know a player of Jackson's type can explode, as a freshman, playing for Bill Self. Better still, Jackson will be part of a Jayhawks rotation that's much more experienced than the one that featured Wiggins. With teammates such as Frank Mason III and Devonte' Graham, Jackson will have the the kind of surrounding cast that can allow a one-and-done player to be effective and properly utilized instead of being overworked.

But, yes, (a very large) part of this discussion comes down to Giles and his health

There is a strong tendency for the lion's share of the accolades in any given recruiting class to be won by the players rated at the very top of that group. And Giles is rated at the very top of his freshman class.

As is usual in these situations, no one who knows anything about the state of the freshman's health is saying anything. That leaves the field open to speculation, and it's surely not a good thing the possibility that Giles won't play at all this season is being spoken aloud as one of the scenarios in the mix.

Giles and Mike Krzyzewski will have to do what's best for the freshman's current health and future prospects. But if Giles does play and is able to do so at full speed, history suggests that an already strong Duke team will be strengthened even further and that this really could be the year of the freshman that we have longed for. With talents such as Fultz, Jackson and, possibly, a healthy Giles, this really could be the year.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
5-on-5: So, are the Clippers better than the Warriors (and Cavs)?

Would the Clippers beat the Warriors in a series? Who's the best team in the NBA -- the Cavs, Clippers or Warriors?

Our NBA Insiders debate.

1. Who's the best team in the NBA?

Amin Elhassan, ESPN Insider: The team playing the best basketball in the NBA right now is the Los Angeles Clippers. They are demolishing opponents at home and on the road, both sickly (Brooklyn Nets) and stout (San Antonio Spurs).

The bench has really stepped up this season, thanks to newcomers like Ray Felton and Mo Speights and internal improvement from guys like Wes Johnson and Austin Rivers (not to mention the always stalwart Jamal Crawford). Furthermore, Luc Mbah a Moute has solidified himself as the fifth starter, bringing disciplined versatile defense with the ability to switch from big to small effectively.

Chris Haynes, ESPN.com: I'd go with the Cavaliers. They seem to be playing with the most comfort and rhythm. Not much has changed on that roster, which allows Cleveland to continue building off their principles. The Warriors are still in the figuring-it-out phase. While I like what the Clippers have done, it still remains to be seen if they possess a reliable go-to scorer down the stretch of tight games.

Jeremias Engelmann, ESPN Insider: There is no doubt it's the Clippers for now. The starting unit is firing on all cylinders, and their formerly abysmal bench can suddenly hold on to leads. Somewhat unexpectedly, they feature the best defense in the league, with Luc Mbah a Moute defending at an elite level. In the game against the Blazers, he held Damian Lillard to 1-of-10 shooting.

Andrew Han, ESPN.com: Can I say the Clippers? Is that OK? It's the Clippers. Who will be the best team in the league when it's all said and done is presently unknowable (although I think most picked the Warriors). For now, the Clippers have the largest margin of victory (by far) and a top-5 offense and defense by efficiency. Oh, and the Clippers starting five is currently out-pacing last season's Warriors death lineup in plus-minus (861 to 688) while playing fewer total minutes.

Kevin Pelton, ESPN Insider: Right now, the Clippers. Even if you assume opponents will regress to shooting the league average from each of Basketball-Reference.com's ranges (an extremely conservative assumption), which pushes their effective field-goal percentage (eFG%) from .455 (best in the league) to .491 (11th), applying that adjustment would still leave the Clippers' point differential at an NBA-high +10.6.

2. Which is more true?
A. The Clippers are extremely hot.
B. The Clippers have found a new level of play.

Pelton: A. Still, I do think the Clippers have found an improved level of play. As I noted in last week's analysis, their defensive shot distribution has been more favorable than previous seasons, and the second unit appears somewhat more capable. The Clippers were already quite good when healthy, and I think their improvement from that level is more a function of ice-cold opponent shooting.

Han: B. What's surprising is that the Clippers' offense was actually pretty terrible the first four games of the season, having tweaked and made adjustments in the offseason. Since then, they've gone from 23rd in offensive efficiency to fifth, behind only the Warriors during that seven-game stretch. After they finished last season fourth in defensive efficiency, there's evidence to suggest their current top-ranked defense is no fluke.

Haynes: I'm leaning toward A. The league as a whole isn't as strong as it used to be and the Clippers, to their credit, are taking care of business. That nucleus has played a ton of games together. They should be playing at a high level, but the true indicator of how far they've come will be revealed in the playoffs.

Engelmann: Both answers are true, but I'd probably lean toward B. Obviously, there's no chance the Clippers will continue trouncing opponents to the tune of 14 points per game, but they have found a rotation that works extremely well. Paul Pierce being injured to start the season was probably a blessing in disguise.

Elhassan: C. Both. Sure, we have to acknowledge that there are some things happening that we look at with a skeptical eye as far as sustainability: For example, can Mbah a Moute continue to shoot well (an important prerequisite for the fifth guy on the floor with the core four)?

But once again, I have to beat the drum of continuity -- the most underrated element in a modern NBA where change (both the knee-jerk and inevitable varieties) is constant.

3. Which is more true?
A. The Warriors have things to worry about.
B. The Warriors will be fine.

Han: B. Is their bench thinner than last season? Yes, but the 2014-15 champions are also making space for Kevin Durant. As seamless an adjustment as many anticipated between Durant and the Bay Area' "joga bonito," it's still an adjustment (e.g. Klay Thompson uncharacteristically missing wide-open shots). If you want to bet against them, many will still gladly accept cash.

Engelmann: A. The Warriors currently feature the third-worst defensive rebounding rate and only the 16th-best defense, while their starting unit is outscoring opponents by a measly 1.3 points per 100 possessions (in 113 minutes). With the Clippers' resurgence, the Warriors' path to the title suddenly looks a lot tougher.

Haynes: B. Considering their plentiful talent and basketball IQ, I think it's only a matter of time before playing together becomes second nature. The Warriors play in a system that doesn't require much overthinking, but they've found themselves doing just that while trying to incorporate Durant. My inclination is they'll be just fine in the end.

Elhassan: C. Both again. We can simultaneously acknowledge that the concerns about depth, particularly up front, present a real issue for the Warriors while also knowing that their top six players are immensely talented. They have the third-worst defensive rebound percentage and the fourth-worst rim defense, and those are both indicative of the problems in the middle. But for every one of those concerns, they still have the past three MVPs.

Pelton: B. Golden State should worry about Zaza Pachulia as a starting center and their center position more generally. Still, I think most of their offensive issues are the product of uncharacteristically poor shooting, and most of their defensive issues are the product of complacency. When the Warriors are locked in, they've shown they can blow opponents off the court.

4. Are any other West teams at either the Clippers' or the Warriors' level?
Haynes: You'd still have to throw San Antonio in that mix. Even without Tim Duncan, they're a force with the continuing emergence of Kawhi Leonard. But aside from the Spurs, in my opinion, there's no other West squad in that conversation.

Elhassan: Right now, no. Theoretically the Spurs are the third team in the top tier, but they haven't been the same clinical machine that we've been accustomed to seeing in the past.

Engelmann: No other team is currently at the Clippers' level, but several West teams are playing close to the Warriors' level. The Warriors' 7-3 record and plus-8.2 point differential are somewhat deceiving as they've played both the lowly Pelicans and Suns twice. When adjusted for strength of schedule, the Spurs and Rockets have been almost as good.

Pelton: No, I don't think San Antonio is at that level. The Spurs are still quite good and will win plenty of games in the regular season. When it comes to the playoffs, however, I think their 24-point home loss to the Clippers is more indicative of how they'll match up with the West's best teams than their 29-point win at Golden State on opening night.

Han: Superstition insists that the Spurs at least be mentioned when talking about the West's elites. But whether a line of LaMarcus Aldridge and Pau Gasol can anchor a top defense (even with wunderkind Leonard wreaking havoc on the perimeter) is still a concern at this point in the season.

5. Clippers or Warriors: Who would you pick in a seven-game series?
Elhassan: I'm still taking Golden State. In a playoff chess match, the Warriors still hold the advantage in terms of the versatility of their main players and the ability to dictate the tempo and matchups.

Haynes: I'm going with the Warriors for the simple fact that I've witnessed the Clippers fail time and time again during the postseason. As deep as they are, a closer is something Los Angeles has always lacked. Golden State has three of them. Case closed.

Han: Warriors. The animus between the two teams is so great that even if the Warriors had massive chemistry issues, a temptation would exist to pick them over the Clippers. Golden State has all the talent and firepower needed to beat any team. Come playoff time, it's plausible they don't galvanize to upend several opponents. But the Clippers would almost be like reverse kryptonite -- anyone but L.A.

Engelmann: It's very close. The Clippers are playing better basketball right now, but we have to assume the Warriors have another gear. They have little motivation to give full effort during the regular season and are probably saving a lot of their energy for May and June.

Pelton: Golden State. Any effort or focus issues the Warriors experience during the regular season should not be a major issue come playoff time, and I think they could exploit the Clippers' weaknesses in terms of the need to keep Mbah a Moute (or perhaps Wesley Johnson) on the court to guard Durant and their difficulty defending when Golden State moves Draymond Green to center.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

MLB roundup: Astros expected to make a big splash this offseason

The only teams remotely close to the Chicago Cubs in the collection of young, high-quality position-player talent these days are the Boston Red Sox, with Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts & Co., and the Houston Astros, whose batting order is filled with star-caliber players, including Jose Altuve, George Springer, Carlos Correa and Alex Bregman.

But there has been one significant difference between the Astros and those other two teams. The Cubs' young stars have been surrounded by veterans like David Ross, Dexter Fowler and Jason Heyward, who has been widely credited with saying exactly the right thing at the right time to teammates before play resumed in the 10th inning of Game 7 of the World Series. The Red Sox have had Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz to cajole and counsel the others.

The Astros, on the other hand, are a team perceived by players and agents as a team desperately needing some experienced players to provide guidance in a clubhouse lacking a leadership rudder. It is because of this void that some rival evaluators sense Houston will be among the most aggressive teams in making lineup additions this offseason.

"The Astros and the Braves are the teams, to me, doing the most to put themselves in a position to win next year," said one official.

Not only is Houston looking to add some productive left-handed hitting to balance a lineup that is predominantly right-handed, but the Astros also have been discussing players with reputations for being good in the clubhouse.

Houston is competing with the Yankees, Red Sox and perhaps the Blue Jays for the services of Carlos Beltran, who is coveted because he's a good hitter who won't require a long-term commitment. Beltran also drew raves from players like Starlin Castro for the way he extended himself to his younger teammates. The Astros might have to overcome Beltran's past experience with Houston to land him: When Beltran left as a free agent more than a decade ago, some Astros fans were angered by his departure and have always let him know when he has returned to Houston.

The Astros have also been in discussion with the Yankees about catcher Brian McCann, who is owed $34 million over the next two years. Like Beltran, McCann has had a reputation for being very good with younger players, and for the way he can lead and help a pitching staff. McCann has a full no-trade clause and must approve any deal, but he seems to be open to listening. It may be that Houston would have an advantage over some National League teams because McCann could serve some time at designated hitter when he's not catching.

Imagine a Houston lineup with Beltran and McCann:

RF Springer
3B Bregman
2B Altuve
SS Correa
DH Beltran
C McCann
1B Yulieski Gurriel
CF Jake Marisnick
LF Tony Kemp

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
NFL evaluators pick the best wide receiver

It's difficult to pinpoint the golden era of wide receivers in the NFL, but this much cannot be argued: The league is saturated with stars at the position today. It's not just seasoned veterans; there's also a pipeline of young talent that should only get better as each player progresses.

The 2016 rookie class adds promise: Michael Thomas seems to make a highlight-worthy catch every week for the New Orleans Saints, putting defenders on roller skates and flexing an unbelievable catch radius. Sterling Shepard has fit right in alongside Odell Beckham Jr. in the New York Giants' passing game, while Corey Coleman is emerging as a building block for the Cleveland Browns. And while Minnesota's Laquon Treadwell and Washington's Josh Doctson have hardly played this season -- Doctson is now on injured reserve -- both figure to grow into key roles in time.

So who is the best wide receiver in the NFL right now? With the help of six NFL assistant coaches and personnel, we reached a verdict. And the results might surprise you.

The best? Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons (5 votes)

Jones doesn't look like a typical wide receiver. He towers over most wideouts with a build that could be confused with that of a tight end. He's a physical freak who has rare acceleration for a player his size and is a lethal cross between a volume-heavy pass-catcher and a big play waiting to happen -- he's fifth in the NFL in yards per catch at 18.1 and tied for fourth in total catches with 61. No other player in the top 10 of catches averages better than 14.6 yards per catch. It's incredibly hard to sustain such consistent big-play production, but Jones does it.

"Easy one for me," an AFC personnel man said. "Julio. The guy is [a] size/speed matchup issue every week for defenses. You can't cover that guy one-on-one.

"You need to help to his side, and even when he doesn't get the ball, it opens up other areas on the field."

An NFC defensive assistant coach said that when you coach against Jones, you "really appreciate how good" he is.

"He's really fast and obviously [a] big dude too," the assistant coach said. "He is a matchup problem."

Another NFC assistant coach picked Jones when probed on the top wideout in the NFL. "Does it all," he said. "Big play. Takes off the top. Runs all routes. Deep, short intermediate, over the middle. Will block, crack block linebackers. Doesn't seem selfish."

Those who have spent time around Jones speak glowingly of his character and approach to his craft; you'll be hard-pressed to find a more determined individual than Jones. He is a building block for any franchise and a terrific teammate.

I mentioned to a personnel man that it was a joy to watch Jones on the field.

His response summed up how so many feel: "Until you have to play him."

Runner-up: Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers (1 vote)

Brown entered 2016 as one of the NFL's most consistent players, regardless of position. To paint a picture of his excellence, he's on pace for an NFL-best 123 catches this season, which would be 13 fewer than he had in 2015. He has unbelievable burst, terrific vision in the open field and shows pristine focus to make difficult catches look easy. He dovetails perfectly with Ben Roethlisberger by using every inch of the field to get open when Big Ben extends a play. Brown is nimble in short space and explosive in the open field. There's no hole in his game.

"Extremely versatile route runner," said one NFC assistant coach who voted Brown second in his rankings. "Nine [go] routes. Options inside. Ridiculous on back-shoulder throws."

Brown bucks the conventional trend in terms of stature. At 5-foot-10 and 180 pounds, he's 5 inches shorter and some 40 pounds lighter than Jones.

"Brown is just a freak, and his ability with the ball in his hands is amazing," one AFC defensive assistant coach said. "Smaller guy obviously, but isn't afraid to go over the middle and expose himself -- [he] has taken some good hits. Fun guy to watch and has the most extensive route tree I've seen. Runs every route in the book and will make a new one up in the game."

What makes Brown's production so exceptional is that it's no mystery that the football is coming his way, yet defenses still can't find a way to slow him down. Ranking just behind Jones should not be perceived as a slight. It's a close call.

And to add to Brown's value, he's one of the top punt returners in the league.

What about Odell Beckham Jr.?

While Beckham didn't receive any first-place votes, he did come up more often than any other receiver not named Julio Jones or Antonio Brown. The 24-year-old has had nearly unparalleled production through the first two and a half seasons of his career and has a penchant for making catches that become immediate fixtures on SportsCenter's Top 10 plays.

He has springy athleticism that will leave defensive coaches fearful of even his most mundane route.

"Beckham is the best catch-and-run guy," one NFC assistant coach said. "Turns an 8-yard slant into a 60-yard touchdown."

Along those lines, Beckham has a 50-yard catch in nine of his 36 career games, an incredible figure. When he turns on the jets, there's no slowing him down in the open field. But if there is a way to slow Beckham vertically, one assistant coach notes it has to be with physical play.

"Beckham is very good down the field on nine balls [go routes], but due to size you can finish on him and out-physical him and separate him from the ball," the assistant coach said.

Unquestionably, he is a big play waiting to happen, as his 31 touchdowns in his first 36 career games are the most for any player in NFL history.

Who's next?
i

A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals: The premier deep threat in the game today, Green has an unmatched ability to track the football vertically in the air. He does it all for the Cincinnati offense. "A.J. Green is awesome also," one AFC coach said. "Great athletic ability for his size and is pretty tough."

i

Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys: Health has been a problem for Bryant of late, but his explosiveness and powerful route running make him a major issue for any defense. The trio of Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott and Bryant is one of the best in football.

i

DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans: His production is down this season, but Hopkins is capable of making a catch on any throw in his vicinity. His body control and field awareness are incredible. "Hopkins is quick fast and has great hands," one defensive coach said. "Doesn't do much after the catch [as others mentioned] but is outstanding at getting open and catching the ball." Hopkins has 84 yards after the catch (148th in the NFL) on 45 catches this year and had 201 on 111 catches in 2015. He's still a brilliant player.

i

Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Evans, only 23, is taking over as one of the best red zone players in the league. He must overcome drops, the only notable hole in his game. But he's on pace for career highs in catches, yards and touchdowns this season.