Essential The Official ESPN Insider Thread (ESPN+)

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

31. Pittsburgh Panthers
The Panthers are much improved, and have match-up problems at the forward spots. If the game hadn't been called, Pittsburgh might very well have clipped Gonzaga. Pitt's defense is improved, which was its biggest problem last season.

i

32. Michigan Wolverines
The Bilastrator watched the Wolverines hit 11 3-pointers in the first half against Texas, and was incredibly entertained. But, Michigan has to hit shots to win. The Wolverines are among the best shooting teams in the nation, but just average on defense and less so on the glass.

i

33. Davidson Wildcats
Dayton might be the best team in the Atlantic 10, but Davidson will have something to say on that topic. Jack Gibbs is an underrated star in college basketball, and one of the best guards in the country.

i

34. Georgetown Hoyas
The Hoyas are solid, and have played a great schedule early. Isaac Copeland is maturing into a star. The Hoyas have to rebound better to be among the top 25.

i

35. Northern Iowa Panthers
This is one of the best cutting and shooting teams in the country. The Panthers beat North Carolina, which is significant, and are capable of winning the Missouri Valley Conference.

i

36. Indiana Hoosiers
The Hoosiers' problems are overstated. Indiana is undersized but very good offensively. This is not a great defensive team but hardly the sieve some are portraying. The main issues are turnovers and free throw attempts. When Indiana takes better care of the ball and starts driving more to get to the foul line, the Hoosiers will rise up in The Bilas Index.

i

37. Florida State Seminoles
The Seminoles have size and great young talent. Along with Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Malik Beasley and Dwayne Bacon give Florida State one of the most dynamic backcourts in the country.

i

38. Texas Longhorns
The Longhorns play hard and are enthusiastic and active on both ends of the floor. But, while playing hard, Texas fouls too much and it doesn't get the ball to Cameron Ridley enough. Give this team time to adjust to a new way of playing. There are really good things on the other side. And, the freshmen are very good.

i

39. California Golden Bears
The Bears are young, and still figuring out defense without fouling. It's early. With Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb, it will be worth the wait. Key games coming up will be Saint Mary's, Virginia and Davidson.

i

40. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Irish were clipped by Monmouth and Alabama, but are still an offensive team to watch. Demetrius Jackson will be among the top scorers and point guards in the country all season long, but he struggled against the Crimson Tide.

i

41. Florida Gators
The Gators are older and tougher, and look better offensively than just a year ago. Still, this is an average shooting team, at best, and will rely upon defense to win games.

i

42. South Carolina Gamecocks
Frank Martin's team is much better in 2016. Rated in the top 50 in both offense and defense, and a harder-nosed rebounding team. South Carolina will contend for an NCAA berth, but the best wins so far are over Hofstra and Tulsa. Sindarius Thornwell is a terrific defender and Duane Notice is shooting 50 percent from deep.

i

43. George Washington Colonials
The Colonials are solid in every department, and can hang with almost anyone. While this is not a great perimeter shooting team, Tyler Cavanaugh and Patricio Garino are upperclass studs, and GW executes really well on offense.

i

44. VCU Rams
The Rams can shoot it, and are very good defensively. VCU still gets steals and causes problems for opponents, and Melvin Johnson is one of the nation's best shooters. Losses to only Duke and Wisconsin.

i

45. San Diego State Aztecs
The Aztecs have lost three times already, and are rated among the top 50 defensive teams in the nation, but rated outside of the top 150 in offense. San Diego State doesn't shoot it well, and it turns it over at a high rate. That has to change.

i

46. Clemson Tigers
The Tigers are not turning the ball over, keeping opponents off of the free throw line, and limiting opponents to one shot. Jaron Blossomgame is shooting over 70 percent from 2-point range.

i

47. Wichita State Shockers
The Shockers are shockingly low due only to injuries. Once Fred VanVleet and Anton Grady are back, Wichita State will rise up. Healthy, studs. Injured, very normal.

i

48. Monmouth Hawks
Justin Robinson is a blast to watch and a nightmare to defend. Monmouth has beaten UCLA, Notre Dame and USC. And, the bench crew is more entertaining than Cirque du Soleil.

i

49. LSU Tigers
Ben Simmons is the leading rebounder in the nation and, arguably, the best passer in the nation. He is ridiculous, but his teammates have not yet figured out how to play around him. When they do, LSU is an NCAA tournament team.

i

50. Iowa Hawkeyes
The Hawkeyes' numbers are good, and Jarrod Uthoff is one of the more versatile players in the country. Iowa was handled by Dayton and Notre Dame but bounced back with a win over a depleted Wichita State team. Iowa is good but not as good as last season.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
i

51. Valparaiso Crusaders
Behind Alec Peters and Vashil Fernandez, Valparaiso will be a handful in the NCAA tournament. But this will not be an at-large team.

i

52. UCLA Bruins
The Bruins have already dropped games to Monmouth, Kansas and Wake Forest, and have Kentucky coming up. UCLA struggled last season and figured it out, but this season will be more challenging.

i

53. Oregon State Beavers
What an improvement Wayne Tinkle has made in the Beavers program. Oregon State was clipped by Valpo in Corvallis, but Gary Payton II and Tres Tinkle are very good and getting better.

i

54. Richmond Spiders
The Spiders have beaten Wake Forest and Cal, and have lost to West Virginia and James Madison. Terry Allen gets to the line and is very efficient inside the arc, and T.J. Cline does a great job of stretching the floor and drawing big guys out of the lane.

i

55. Evansville Purple Aces
The defending CIT champions have D.J. Balentine, the top returning scorer in the nation. But the Purple Aces have not been to the NCAA tournament since 1999.

i

56. Kansas State Wildcats
The Wildcats looked very good for 35 minutes against North Carolina but got run over by a 21-3 Tar Heels blitz to end the game. Kansas State's defense is solid but scoring is spotty, with rankings outside of the top 220 in effective field goal percentage and 3-point shooting.

i

57. Colorado Buffaloes
The Buffs lost a close one to Iowa State to start the season but haven't played a high-caliber opponent since. Turnovers have been a concern, but any team with Josh Scott, one of the most underrated big guys in the country, will be a factor.

i

58. Creighton Bluejays
Solid on the offensive end, low turnovers and efficient getting good shots, the Bluejays can score. But defense is lacking. A 20-point loss to Indiana was the only game played against a top 100 team, let alone a Bilas Index team.

i

59. Northwestern Wildcats
Losing Vic Law was a brutal blow to a team capable of doing something Northwestern hasn't done before. Still, the Wildcats continue to fight. Northwestern has a tough time generating free throw attempts, which means it has to be even more efficient offensively.

i

60. Boise State Broncos
The Broncos have played a difficult schedule, and have already lost games to Michigan State, Arizona (twice) and Montana. But, having James Webb and Anthony Drmic, Boise State is, and will be, good.

i

61. Tulsa Golden Hurricane
Tulsa is solid, puts pressure on defenses and gets to the foul line. An early win over Wichita State was impressive, but then suffered two losses to South Carolina and Arkansas-Little Rock.

i

62. Akron Zips
A solid defensive team that is perimeter oriented on offense, Akron has beaten Arkansas and Cleveland State but lost to Villanova and Green Bay.

i

63. New Mexico Lobos
A loss to USC was concerning, but guards Cullen Neal and Elijah Brown are good, and have yet to shoot the ball to their capabilities.

i

64. Rhode Island Rams
With E.C. Matthews healthy, the Rams would be higher in The Bilas Index and here to stay. But he's out for the season. While the defense is solid, Rhody does not score easily. This team fights you.

i

65. BYU Cougars
Kyle Collinsworth had his seventh career triple-double against Belmont, giving him the Division I record. Of course, Oscar Robertson, Magic Johnson and others probably lament the NCAA's poor record keeping and challenge that number. Still, pretty darn cool for Collinsworth.

i

66. Oklahoma State Cowboys
An overtime loss to George Mason is the Cowboys' only loss, but there are no wins to brag about yet. So far, the Cowboys' defense has not been anything to write home about.

i

67. Stony Brook Seawolves
The Seawolves took Vanderbilt to overtime in Nashville. Jameel Warney is a terrific player and Stony Brook will challenge for the America East title.

i

68. UC Irvine Anteaters
You just don't see size like the Anteaters have very often, with a 7-6 and a 7-2 frontline, and it is very difficult to play against. The Bilastrator loves the dizzying wingspans of Mamadou Ndiaye and Ioannis Dimakopoulos. Wingspan! Everybody take a drink.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
@Skooby can you put this one up.... Ranking top 10 wide receivers for the next 3 years
Ranking top 10 wide receivers for next three seasons

We recently ranked the top 10 running backs in the NFL with the following question in mind: Which running backs would we most want on our team for the next three seasons?

Today we're applying the same ranking to wide receivers, a position where there is no shortage of superstars across the league.

Here are the top 10 wideouts in the league for the next three seasons:

1. Julio Jones, Atlanta Falcons:Jones has been the league's top wideout in 2015. The 26-year-old has a shot at the single-season reception record and is the most physically dominant wideout in the NFL. But this isn't just about the gaudy statistics. He has rare athleticism for a player of his size (6-foot-3, 220 pounds). He dominates in competitive catch situations and chews up yards after the reception. He has the power of a tight end through his lower half and an uncommon reach to come down with passes that appear to be uncatchable.

2. Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers: Brown, 27, is second in the NFL in receiving yards entering Week 14 and is, for my money, the best route runner in football. He has dazzling open-field ability, catches most everything in his path and uses every inch of the gridiron to get open. He consistently creates space in which to throw. Plus, he's one of the best punt returners in the game, which increases his value and gives him the edge over the next player on this list.

3. Odell Beckham Jr., New York Giants: Beckham is the most dynamic run-after-catch player in the league right now. He's as exciting to watch as there is, consistently turning shallow routes into big plays. And of course, no one has a better catch radius. As Beckham, 23, taught the world last season, all it takes is a few fingers for him to haul in the most incredible of catches.

4. Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys: There are no holes in Bryant's game, which makes it difficult to place him fourth on this list. He has a penchant for making the extraordinary look routine. He's long, supremely fast, powerful and, simply put, a touchdown-maker. The 27-year-old has 58 scores in 82 career games.

5. DeAndre Hopkins, Houston Texans: It's possible that Hopkins is actually underappreciated, though this much is indisputable: He's an elite talent. He isn't far behind Beckham in the race for incredible catches -- plus, he's also 23 -- and he packs power as a route runner into his 6-foot-1, 220-pound frame. He's a vertical threat who sees an unbelievable volume of targets for Houston all over the field -- with good reason.

6. Sammy Watkins, Buffalo Bills: Watkins' 2015 statistics aren't in quite the same neighborhood as many of the players on this list, but this isn't a production-based list. Watkins was plagued by poor quarterback play as a rookie in 2014 and is now competing in an offense that runs the third most in the NFL. Watkins is exceedingly sudden in and out of breaks and light on his feet, and he can fly down the field. In a different offense, the 22-year-old would challenge for 1,500 yards in a season.

7. Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos: Thomas' dominant 2012 through 2014 seasons are impossible to ignore, as he pushed past 1,400 receiving yards and 10 scores each year. What makes Thomas, who turns 28 later this month, so incredible is his vision, explosion and ability to avoid tacklers after the catch. Throughout his career, Thomas has turned routine receiver screens into home runs. Drops have been a bit of an issue in 2015, but Thomas still keeps defensive players on their toes.

8. Allen Robinson, Jacksonville Jaguars: I don't think any wide receiver has ascended more in the NFL this season. Robinson showed the signs of brilliance as a rookie prior to a season-ending leg injury in 2014, and this year he has made a quantum leap. He has outstanding size and is a bona fide red zone threat who has the ability to use his size to leverage at the point of catch. Robinson is just 22, and it's hard to put a ceiling on him.

9. A.J. Green, Cincinnati Bengals: Long and linear, Green is an explosive perimeter threat who can stretch the field for the Bengals. And while he is a brilliant talent, an aspect to his game that also must be appreciated is his reliability. He has missed just four games during his career and has posted 1,000-yard seasons in all five of his pro years. The 27-year-old is the only player in the NFL who has a catch of 80 or more yards in each season since 2013.

10. Amari Cooper, Oakland Raiders: If I had to forecast a talent who has the potential to move up on this list (future editions are likely to come), Cooper is it. He's a surgical route runner who can win in his stem and at the top of his route. He has impressive speed and explosiveness after the catch. If there's one area that must be corrected, it's his reliability; he has had a surprising number of drops this season. I believe that's an area the 21-year-old will overcome with experience.

A dark horse to make this list is ...
Josh Gordon. Though we don't know when the Cleveland Browns receiver, who hasn't played this season because of a suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, will be able to play again, there's no denying his talent. Gordon's abilities are indisputable: he was one of the NFL's best home run-hitting playmakers in 2013, when he led the league in receiving yards despite missing two games. His return to the field would provide the Browns with a desperately needed difference-maker on offense.

Who just missed the cut
Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears; Gordon, Cleveland Browns; T.Y. Hilton,Indianapolis Colts; Mike Evans, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Which superstar has had the better career: Kobe Bryant or Tim Duncan?

Their games are vastly different, their public personas even more so. But Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan share some uncanny similarities.

Both own five championship rings.

Both have led an iconic NBA franchise for nearly two decades.

Both need three hands to tally their All-NBA first-, second- and third-team honors.

Duncan and Bryant are, quite simply, the greatest players of their generation -- the era that followed on the heels of Michael Jordan's heyday. They are the Spurs' yin, the Lakers' yang, of NBA excellence.

As Bryant nears the end of his 20-year career and Duncan finds himself just four months from his 40th birthday, we have the opportunity to look back and marvel -- and to compare and contrast two of the greatest players ever.

Which superstar is greater? It's a long-standing debate among NBA aficionados, and both players inspire legions of passionate supporters. So let's analyze the work of these two legends in an attempt to help resolve the debate.

Our tools today are real plus-minus and other metrics that help us make an apples-to-apples comparison between one of the greatest backcourt players and one of the greatest frontcourt players ever.

First, a few basics, the tale of the tape:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone.

And despite carrying an outsized share of the Lakers' offensive load for two decades, Kobe somehow managed to remain efficient on offense for the large majority of his career. His career true shooting percentage (adjusted for free throws and 3-pointers) is well above league average.

Several times he has led the league in usage rate, and at one point (the 2005-06 season) he accounted for nearly 40 percent of all Lakers possessions. His high assist rate also has frequently ranked Bryant among the NBA's top distributors as a wing player.

John Havlicek, George Gervin, Dominique Wilkins, Oscar Robertson andHakeem Olajuwon before the season ends.

Duncan also has the exact same career true shooting percentage (55.1) as Bryant. But his much lower usage rate -- Timmy's 27.2 to Kobe's 31.8 -- suggests a smaller offensive footprint for the Spurs' big man.

Predictive real plus-minus (RPM) -- which measures each player's impact on his team's efficiency using mathematical modeling to adjust for the effects of teammates and opponents -- illustrates the degree to which Bryant has consistently outplayed Duncan offensively.

As shown in the chart below, Kobe logged the higher offensive RPM for 15 consecutive seasons from 1999-2000 through 2014-15. Over that span, Kobe boasts a huge lead in the metric, with an average of 5.2 to Duncan's 1.8.

Real plus-minus (RPM) was developed by Jeremias Engelmann, formerly of the Phoenix Suns, in consultation with Steve Ilardi, University of Kansas psychology professor and former NBA consultant.

It follows the development of adjusted plus-minus (APM) by several analysts and regularized adjusted plus-minus (RAPM) by Joe Sill.

RPM reflects enhancements to RAPM by Engelmann, among them the use of Bayesian priors, aging curves, score of the game and extensive out-of-sample testing to improve RPM's predictive accuracy.

No, Kobe's rep for stellar defense looks like a classic artifact of the focusing illusion. That's the tendency in human judgment to place far too much weight on a single, easily observed attribute. In Bryant's case, we recall the highlight plays and occasional flashes of Jordan-esque "lockdown" defense and tend to conclude that a player who can make such plays is a plus defender.

It's a convincing illusion, but the numbers don't lie. His mediocre defensive RPM shows that Kobe has simply not been a great defender on a consistent basis.

The decision: Duncan over Kobe
So, as we might have predicted even without the aid of advanced metrics, Kobe has been consistently superior on offense, while Duncan has had a huge upper hand on the defensive end.

Should we just declare these two legends equally great and call it a day?

Actually, no.

One of the most compelling features of RPM is the metric's ability to compare the relative impact of each player's offensive and defensive contributions. And that's important, because even though offense is usually what grabs our attention, defensive play is every bit as vital to team success -- as coaches never tire of reminding us.

WHY "REAL" PLUS-MINUS?
"Real" comes from economics and such terminology as real income, real interest rate and real value. Instead of "nominal" value, for instance, economists prefer to talk about real value, which is adjusted for inflation.

Likewise, real plus-minus includes important adjustments to raw stats.

For many, Kobe's offensive skill at his peak was so head-turning that nothing else really matters; they care a lot more about that than the quiet efficiency of Duncan. Kobe's 81-point game, his dunks and his beautiful jumper are what many will remember from this era.

On the other hand, some fans appreciate Duncan's team approach and find Kobe's shoot-first style grating.

For RPM, however, style points don't count. RPM estimates exactly how much you helped your team win.

The following chart shows Duncan's overall dominance.

With the exception of two seasons (2005-06 and 2007-08) at the peak of Kobe's prime, Duncan has had the higher RPM value -- the greater positive impact on the game -- in each of their other seasons.

For most of those seasons, it hasn't even been that close. Since 1999, Duncan has had an average RPM of 6.97 to Kobe's 3.75, a decisive edge to Duncan.

That's not to diminish Kobe's greatness. He's securely in the pantheon of NBA greats, and he always will be. Bryant has dazzled us with the dynamic brilliance of his play for 20 seasons and earned the gratitude and admiration of fans the world over.

Tim Duncan has rarely dazzled -- not to the casual fan, at least -- but his imprint on the game is no less epic. In fact, he's quite simply the best player of his generation.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp

1. Tennessee Titans

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Even with the Titans' apparent needs on offense, it would be hard for them to pass on the best player in the draft. Bosa is scheme-versatile, with experience playing defensive end on both sides and moving inside to defensive tackle on obvious passing downs. And with 51.0 tackles for loss in 40 career games, he has the production you look for in a top pick.

2. Cleveland Browns

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers*

Lynch has been an extremely efficient passer for the Tigers this season (69.0 completion rate, 28 TDs vs. 3 INTs) -- and he showed up in a big way against Memphis' best opponent (Ole Miss). He has not yet declared for the draft -- and I still have a lot of work to do on him in terms of analyzing his work ethic, leadership skills, mental makeup and durability history -- but Lynch has the physical skills to develop into a good starting NFL QB, which Cleveland needs.

3. San Diego Chargers

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels*

When healthy and staying out of trouble, Nkemdiche is a force along the defensive front. Just flip on the tape from Ole Miss' upset win over Alabama. Nkemdiche practically lived in the backfield against the Tide, racking up 2.5 tackles for loss. His combination of size (6-foot-4, 296 pounds) and quickness is tough for offensive linemen to handle.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State Seminoles*

Ramsey can do it all in the secondary: match up in the slot, play center field and stuff the run. It's no surprise, then, that he's a terrific athlete, winning the ACC long-jump title as part of Florida State's track and field team earlier this year. One of the most complete players in this class, Ramsey would be a welcome addition to a Ravens secondary that has struggled the past few seasons.

5. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

This is assuming the 49ers move on from Colin Kaepernick in the offseason. I think Goff would benefit from returning to school for his senior season to get bigger and stronger, but I get the sense that's not going to happen. He got into some bad habits with his mechanics behind an O-line that did not protect well, but when his feet are right, he can be deadly accurate. With a high football IQ and great work ethic, I have faith he will put in the time to get better.

6. Dallas Cowboys

Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

I won't be surprised if the Cowboys spend an early-round pick in 2016 on a QB to be Tony Romo's heir apparent. But with Lynch and Goff gone, Smith would be a good way for Dallas to bolster its front seven. He shows excellent range against the run and in coverage, and is a far more disruptive pass-rusher than his 4.5 career sacks would lead you to believe.

7. Detroit Lions

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels*

Assuming Tunsil is medically cleared -- he broke his fibula last season -- he projects to be a top-10 pick. At 6-5, 305 pounds, Tunsil is a great athlete for his size and has the potential to develop into a very good pass protector in the NFL. The Lions could use one of those to better keep QB Matthew Stafford upright (80 sacks allowed since the start of 2014).

8. Miami Dolphins

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Stanley needs to improve his overall strength, but he has the ideal frame, length and athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL. He moves naturally and is comfortable in space. Stanley definitely benefited from staying another year in school, as he has been more consistent with his balance and hand placement this season.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida Gators*

Hargreaves would be an ideal pick for a team like Jacksonville, which needs to upgrade its secondary this offseason. He's the best pure cover corner in this class, with four interceptions in 2015 and 10 in his career. Perhaps most impressive: Hargreaves doesn't let his lack of ideal size (5-11, 199) keep him from excelling in press-man coverage.

10. St. Louis Rams

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels*

Treadwell has rebounded nicely from his season-ending leg injury last season, playing all 12 regular-season games and putting together some quality tape. He's a big, physical receiver with outstanding hands and has a really good feel for the position. He reminds me a bit of Dez Bryant when he was coming out of Oklahoma State. Treadwell could be the difference-maker the Rams need on the outside.

11. New Orleans Saints

Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

Reed is one of those prospects in which you ignore the stats and turn on the tape. He has been dominant for the Tide this season, often occupying multiple blockers inside and making a ton of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage against the run. And he also has shown the ability to get some push as an interior pass-rusher to move the QB off his spot.

12. Chicago Bears

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

Buckner is a good athlete for his size (6-7, 300 pounds) and is a handful for offensive linemen when he plays with leverage. He tore up Pac-12 opponents this season, posting 12.0 tackles for loss in nine conference games. With his raw strength, Buckner has the ability to jar blockers and disrupt plays in the backfield.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans*

I'm not sure whether Conklin will go pro after this season. He could use another season to continue to improve his hands and technique in pass protection. But if he leaves, he has the potential to develop into a starting offensive tackle in the NFL, so there's a strong chance he'd be a first-round pick. The Bucs need to protect their investment in Jameis Winston, and with a massive frame (6-6, 325 pounds), Conklin shows good mobility for his size.

14. Atlanta Falcons

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA Bruins*

Jack, who tore his ACL in September, has already declared for the draft. He's a difference-maker when healthy, which is exactly what the Falcons need on defense. An outstanding athlete, Jack shows good range against the run and the ability to match up with bigger receivers in the slot. If he checks out physically, he probably will be a top-20 pick.

15. Oakland Raiders

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU Tigers*

White played a ton of snaps as a freshman in Baton Rouge, so he has great experience playing against top-notch competition. (His performance against Amari Cooper in the 2014 Alabama-LSU game still stands out.) At 5-11, 191 pounds, White has adequate length and a great closing burst when the ball is in the air.

16. Washington Redskins

Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Thomas lacks elite speed as a vertical receiver, but he is a very good route runner. He knows how to use his 6-3, 210-pound frame when the ball is in the air, displaying outstanding overall ball skills (17 TDs over the past two seasons). Thomas has enough burst to turn a short pass into a long gain.

17. New York Giants

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers*

Lawson made quite the leap in his junior season, as he led the country with 22.5 tackles for loss. That's more than he compiled in his first two seasons at Clemson combined (21.5). While he's not a speed rusher off the edge, Lawson displays a good combination of quickness and power. Regardless of whether Jason Pierre-Paul returns in 2016, the Giants will need to sign/draft another pass-rusher.

18. Buffalo Bills

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State Buckeyes

There's a clear top tier of offensive tackles this year (Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin and Decker) and then a big drop-off after that, so I don't expect the fourth guy to last too long. At 6-7, 320 pounds, Decker has long arms and above-average feet for his size. NFL teams should like his toughness, while his inconsistent pad level and hand placement continue to be areas for improvement.

19. Houston Texans

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide*

An intriguing subplot with the Texans' pick: Will Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg leave school early? And if he does, will former coach Bill O'Brien be tempted to pull the trigger, despite Hackenberg's continued accuracy struggles? For these purposes, let's assume the Texans don't reach for Hackenberg and make Robinson the pick, further bolstering their D-list. Robinson moves surprisingly well for his massive frame (6-3, 315 pounds). He has shown a consistent ability to push the pocket and is playing the best football of his career.

20. Philadelphia Eagles

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville Cardinals

Rankins is one of the more underrated prospects in this class. He has some versatility and could move around Philly's defensive line. In the tapes I've watched this season, Rankins (6-2, 303 pounds) has used his combination of quickness and power to be a highly disruptive force.

21. Indianapolis Colts

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech*

Fuller, who tore his ACL against Purdue in Week 3, declared for the draft on Tuesday. If he clears medically, he will probably be a first-round pick. His ability to play outside or in the slot should make him attractive to NFL teams like the Colts that need more CB depth. In his first two seasons at Virginia Tech, Fuller had nine interceptions and 26 pass breakups.

22. New York Jets

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs*

Floyd has outstanding potential as an edge-rusher. With a lean frame (6-4, 231 pounds), there's no doubt he needs to improve his ability to take on blocks. But Floyd's speed will always be coveted by defenses from the outside linebacker position, particularly for a team like the Jets, who are missing that element in their front seven.

23. Minnesota Vikings

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Lee could benefit from returning to school and gaining more experience playing inside, but if he comes out early, he will probably be a first-round pick. A former high school quarterback, Lee has outstanding natural athleticism and speed for his size (6-2, 235 pounds). And he has the production to back it up -- 25.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, three INTs and two forced fumbles the past two seasons.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee Volunteers*

The Steelers will need to address the cornerback position somehow this offseason. Sutton would be a good option if they want to pick one early. At 5-11, 196 pounds, he's at his best in press-man coverage. His closing burst has helped him rack up six interceptions and 26 pass breakups over the past three seasons.

25. Kansas City Chiefs

Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

Ragland is having a monster season -- 90 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles. Just incredible. He has rare straight-line speed for his size (6-2, 252 pounds) and shows explosive power at the point of attack. While he's still not elite in coverage, Ragland's instincts are improving and he can hold up in an underneath zone.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska Cornhuskers*

Collins is still developing as a player, but he's a hard worker with great feet/hand quickness for his size (6-2, 300 pounds). While his production is down from a year ago (6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks), the whole team struggled under a new coaching staff. His explosive first step still showed up on tape. Collins would really thrive in Seattle.

27. Green Bay Packers

Su'a Cravens, OLB, USC Trojans*

A former safety-turned-OLB, Cravens shows good cover skills (nine career INTs) and has flashed as a pass-rusher when turned loose off the edge (5.5 sacks). He's a bit of a tweener (6-1, 225 pounds), but his athleticism and versatility makes him a good fit to defend offenses in today's NFL.

28. Denver Broncos

Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA Bruins*

Clark played his best football down the stretch, with three sacks against Washington State in Week 11. He's a powerful run-stuffer who often commands the attention from multiple offensive linemen. He gets in trouble when his pads rise, but is doing a better job using his leverage consistently.

29. Cincinnati Bengals

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

Fuller is probably a Round 2 value, but it wouldn't be a huge reach at this point. He has legit vertical speed, averaging 20.45 yards per catch, the most of any FBS player with at least 55 receptions. At 6-foot, 184 pounds, he reminds me a bit of Devin Smith coming out of Ohio State last year.

30. Arizona Cardinals

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State Bison

Wentz would be the ideal quarterback for Bruce Arians to groom behind soon-to-be 36-year-old Carson Palmer. The FCS product isn't ready to start from Day 1, but he has a lot of developmental upside, with good size, arm strength and mobility. He's coming off a wrist injury, so his draft stock could be impacted by how that checks out with teams. But it won't surprise me if Wentz winds up among the top 40 picks.

31. Carolina Panthers

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State Cowboys*

Ogbah has always had good length and athleticism, but this year, he's playing with a bit more power and improved technique. At 6-3½, 270 pounds, he has racked up 34.5 tackles for loss and 24 sacks the past two seasons.

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
1. Tennessee Titans

Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Even with the Titans' apparent needs on offense, it would be hard for them to pass on the best player in the draft. Bosa is scheme-versatile, with experience playing defensive end on both sides and moving inside to defensive tackle on obvious passing downs. And with 51.0 tackles for loss in 40 career games, he has the production you look for in a top pick.

2. Cleveland Browns

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis Tigers*

Lynch has been an extremely efficient passer for the Tigers this season (69.0 completion rate, 28 TDs vs. 3 INTs) -- and he showed up in a big way against Memphis' best opponent (Ole Miss). He has not yet declared for the draft -- and I still have a lot of work to do on him in terms of analyzing his work ethic, leadership skills, mental makeup and durability history -- but Lynch has the physical skills to develop into a good starting NFL QB, which Cleveland needs.

3. San Diego Chargers

Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss Rebels*

When healthy and staying out of trouble, Nkemdiche is a force along the defensive front. Just flip on the tape from Ole Miss' upset win over Alabama. Nkemdiche practically lived in the backfield against the Tide, racking up 2.5 tackles for loss. His combination of size (6-foot-4, 296 pounds) and quickness is tough for offensive linemen to handle.

4. Baltimore Ravens

Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State Seminoles*

Ramsey can do it all in the secondary: match up in the slot, play center field and stuff the run. It's no surprise, then, that he's a terrific athlete, winning the ACC long-jump title as part of Florida State's track and field team earlier this year. One of the most complete players in this class, Ramsey would be a welcome addition to a Ravens secondary that has struggled the past few seasons.

5. San Francisco 49ers

Jared Goff, QB, California Golden Bears*

This is assuming the 49ers move on from Colin Kaepernick in the offseason. I think Goff would benefit from returning to school for his senior season to get bigger and stronger, but I get the sense that's not going to happen. He got into some bad habits with his mechanics behind an O-line that did not protect well, but when his feet are right, he can be deadly accurate. With a high football IQ and great work ethic, I have faith he will put in the time to get better.

6. Dallas Cowboys

Jaylon Smith, OLB, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

I won't be surprised if the Cowboys spend an early-round pick in 2016 on a QB to be Tony Romo's heir apparent. But with Lynch and Goff gone, Smith would be a good way for Dallas to bolster its front seven. He shows excellent range against the run and in coverage, and is a far more disruptive pass-rusher than his 4.5 career sacks would lead you to believe.

7. Detroit Lions

Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss Rebels*

Assuming Tunsil is medically cleared -- he broke his fibula last season -- he projects to be a top-10 pick. At 6-5, 305 pounds, Tunsil is a great athlete for his size and has the potential to develop into a very good pass protector in the NFL. The Lions could use one of those to better keep QB Matthew Stafford upright (80 sacks allowed since the start of 2014).

8. Miami Dolphins

Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Stanley needs to improve his overall strength, but he has the ideal frame, length and athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL. He moves naturally and is comfortable in space. Stanley definitely benefited from staying another year in school, as he has been more consistent with his balance and hand placement this season.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida Gators*

Hargreaves would be an ideal pick for a team like Jacksonville, which needs to upgrade its secondary this offseason. He's the best pure cover corner in this class, with four interceptions in 2015 and 10 in his career. Perhaps most impressive: Hargreaves doesn't let his lack of ideal size (5-11, 199) keep him from excelling in press-man coverage.

10. St. Louis Rams

Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss Rebels*

Treadwell has rebounded nicely from his season-ending leg injury last season, playing all 12 regular-season games and putting together some quality tape. He's a big, physical receiver with outstanding hands and has a really good feel for the position. He reminds me a bit of Dez Bryant when he was coming out of Oklahoma State. Treadwell could be the difference-maker the Rams need on the outside.

11. New Orleans Saints

Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide

Reed is one of those prospects in which you ignore the stats and turn on the tape. He has been dominant for the Tide this season, often occupying multiple blockers inside and making a ton of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage against the run. And he also has shown the ability to get some push as an interior pass-rusher to move the QB off his spot.

12. Chicago Bears

DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon Ducks

Buckner is a good athlete for his size (6-7, 300 pounds) and is a handful for offensive linemen when he plays with leverage. He tore up Pac-12 opponents this season, posting 12.0 tackles for loss in nine conference games. With his raw strength, Buckner has the ability to jar blockers and disrupt plays in the backfield.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State Spartans*

I'm not sure whether Conklin will go pro after this season. He could use another season to continue to improve his hands and technique in pass protection. But if he leaves, he has the potential to develop into a starting offensive tackle in the NFL, so there's a strong chance he'd be a first-round pick. The Bucs need to protect their investment in Jameis Winston, and with a massive frame (6-6, 325 pounds), Conklin shows good mobility for his size.

14. Atlanta Falcons

Myles Jack, LB, UCLA Bruins*

Jack, who tore his ACL in September, has already declared for the draft. He's a difference-maker when healthy, which is exactly what the Falcons need on defense. An outstanding athlete, Jack shows good range against the run and the ability to match up with bigger receivers in the slot. If he checks out physically, he probably will be a top-20 pick.

15. Oakland Raiders

Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU Tigers*

White played a ton of snaps as a freshman in Baton Rouge, so he has great experience playing against top-notch competition. (His performance against Amari Cooper in the 2014 Alabama-LSU game still stands out.) At 5-11, 191 pounds, White has adequate length and a great closing burst when the ball is in the air.

16. Washington Redskins

Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Thomas lacks elite speed as a vertical receiver, but he is a very good route runner. He knows how to use his 6-3, 210-pound frame when the ball is in the air, displaying outstanding overall ball skills (17 TDs over the past two seasons). Thomas has enough burst to turn a short pass into a long gain.

17. New York Giants

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson Tigers*

Lawson made quite the leap in his junior season, as he led the country with 22.5 tackles for loss. That's more than he compiled in his first two seasons at Clemson combined (21.5). While he's not a speed rusher off the edge, Lawson displays a good combination of quickness and power. Regardless of whether Jason Pierre-Paul returns in 2016, the Giants will need to sign/draft another pass-rusher.

18. Buffalo Bills

Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State Buckeyes

There's a clear top tier of offensive tackles this year (Tunsil, Stanley, Conklin and Decker) and then a big drop-off after that, so I don't expect the fourth guy to last too long. At 6-7, 320 pounds, Decker has long arms and above-average feet for his size. NFL teams should like his toughness, while his inconsistent pad level and hand placement continue to be areas for improvement.

19. Houston Texans

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama Crimson Tide*

An intriguing subplot with the Texans' pick: Will Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg leave school early? And if he does, will former coach Bill O'Brien be tempted to pull the trigger, despite Hackenberg's continued accuracy struggles? For these purposes, let's assume the Texans don't reach for Hackenberg and make Robinson the pick, further bolstering their D-list. Robinson moves surprisingly well for his massive frame (6-3, 315 pounds). He has shown a consistent ability to push the pocket and is playing the best football of his career.

20. Philadelphia Eagles

Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville Cardinals

Rankins is one of the more underrated prospects in this class. He has some versatility and could move around Philly's defensive line. In the tapes I've watched this season, Rankins (6-2, 303 pounds) has used his combination of quickness and power to be a highly disruptive force.

21. Indianapolis Colts

Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech*

Fuller, who tore his ACL against Purdue in Week 3, declared for the draft on Tuesday. If he clears medically, he will probably be a first-round pick. His ability to play outside or in the slot should make him attractive to NFL teams like the Colts that need more CB depth. In his first two seasons at Virginia Tech, Fuller had nine interceptions and 26 pass breakups.

22. New York Jets

Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia Bulldogs*

Floyd has outstanding potential as an edge-rusher. With a lean frame (6-4, 231 pounds), there's no doubt he needs to improve his ability to take on blocks. But Floyd's speed will always be coveted by defenses from the outside linebacker position, particularly for a team like the Jets, who are missing that element in their front seven.

23. Minnesota Vikings

Darron Lee, OLB, Ohio State Buckeyes*

Lee could benefit from returning to school and gaining more experience playing inside, but if he comes out early, he will probably be a first-round pick. A former high school quarterback, Lee has outstanding natural athleticism and speed for his size (6-2, 235 pounds). And he has the production to back it up -- 25.5 tackles for loss, 10 sacks, three INTs and two forced fumbles the past two seasons.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee Volunteers*

The Steelers will need to address the cornerback position somehow this offseason. Sutton would be a good option if they want to pick one early. At 5-11, 196 pounds, he's at his best in press-man coverage. His closing burst has helped him rack up six interceptions and 26 pass breakups over the past three seasons.

25. Kansas City Chiefs

Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama Crimson Tide

Ragland is having a monster season -- 90 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, six pass breakups, two forced fumbles. Just incredible. He has rare straight-line speed for his size (6-2, 252 pounds) and shows explosive power at the point of attack. While he's still not elite in coverage, Ragland's instincts are improving and he can hold up in an underneath zone.

26. Seattle Seahawks

Maliek Collins, DT, Nebraska Cornhuskers*

Collins is still developing as a player, but he's a hard worker with great feet/hand quickness for his size (6-2, 300 pounds). While his production is down from a year ago (6.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks), the whole team struggled under a new coaching staff. His explosive first step still showed up on tape. Collins would really thrive in Seattle.

27. Green Bay Packers

Su'a Cravens, OLB, USC Trojans*

A former safety-turned-OLB, Cravens shows good cover skills (nine career INTs) and has flashed as a pass-rusher when turned loose off the edge (5.5 sacks). He's a bit of a tweener (6-1, 225 pounds), but his athleticism and versatility makes him a good fit to defend offenses in today's NFL.

28. Denver Broncos

Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA Bruins*

Clark played his best football down the stretch, with three sacks against Washington State in Week 11. He's a powerful run-stuffer who often commands the attention from multiple offensive linemen. He gets in trouble when his pads rise, but is doing a better job using his leverage consistently.

29. Cincinnati Bengals

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame Fighting Irish*

Fuller is probably a Round 2 value, but it wouldn't be a huge reach at this point. He has legit vertical speed, averaging 20.45 yards per catch, the most of any FBS player with at least 55 receptions. At 6-foot, 184 pounds, he reminds me a bit of Devin Smith coming out of Ohio State last year.

30. Arizona Cardinals

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State Bison

Wentz would be the ideal quarterback for Bruce Arians to groom behind soon-to-be 36-year-old Carson Palmer. The FCS product isn't ready to start from Day 1, but he has a lot of developmental upside, with good size, arm strength and mobility. He's coming off a wrist injury, so his draft stock could be impacted by how that checks out with teams. But it won't surprise me if Wentz winds up among the top 40 picks.

31. Carolina Panthers

Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State Cowboys*

Ogbah has always had good length and athleticism, but this year, he's playing with a bit more power and improved technique. At 6-3½, 270 pounds, he has racked up 34.5 tackles for loss and 24 sacks the past two seasons.

Thanks breh :salute:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
please repost..file not found..can you post it manually?
Bilas Index: The top 68 teams showing this is a different kind of year

Welcome to Volume II of The Bilas Index for the 2015-16 season. Nowhere else on this planet, nah, the galaxy, will you find a more trustworthy accounting of the best teams across the college basketball landscape. The precise accounting of basketball accomplishment and skill, with all of it organized into a small, easily digested chronicle of basketball education. You're welcome.

The Bilas Index is reliability and trustworthiness all wrapped up in a neat package, ready for the holiday. Treat yourself and your loved ones to The Bilas Index, and guarantee yourself immediate basketball understanding and knowledge. The impeccable judgment of The Bilastrator provides incredible accuracy, and his unlimited genius and immeasurable brainpower will help increase your basketball intelligence.

As The Bilastrator told you in Volume I, this is a different season. We have some good teams with the opportunity to grow, and there is a much bigger pool of teams that are capable of making the Final Four. Last year, there were the same number of teams with this on-court capability, but there were six or seven teams ahead of them that simply were not going to be beaten before the Elite Eight. That is not the case this year. There are few teams that would surprise you by losing in the second round of the NCAA tournament. That will make for volatility in your bracket and some jockeying for position in The Bilas Index.

(Before unveiling the latest Bilas Index, a brief and necessary aside: Bo Ryan retired Tuesday night, effective immediately. He is one of the finest coaches college basketball has known. Wisconsin is a national brand in basketball because of Bo, and he should have been inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame last year. But, it is a near certainty that will happen. There is hardly ever a perfect ending in sports. Wooden had one, but most don't. So what? We won't remember the end for Bo, but the moments, and the entire body of work. Bo Ryan is one of the best ever, and the game was better after having him in it. Now, back to Bilastrator business ...)

The Bilastrator is pleased to provide you with this splendid omnibus collection of roundball acumen. As always, you're welcome.

i

1. Michigan State Spartans
Dishing out assists on 80 percent of its made field goals, the Spartans own the best assist rate in the nation, by a fair clip. Michigan State has a top-10 offense and a top-20 defense. The Spartans have started 11-0, with road games coming up against Northeastern and Iowa. Michigan State is not yet fully healthy, either.

i

2. Kansas Jayhawks
The Jayhawks' only loss was to Michigan State. Kansas leads the Big 12 in scoring at 90 points per game and has been excellent from 3-point range. Kansas is second in the nation in 3-point shooting, hitting over 46 percent of its attempts, yet trails Oklahoma in the Big 12. Wayne Selden Jr. is leading the Big 12 in 3-point accuracy, hitting 60 percent of his treys. The Jayhawks have shown some cracks on the defensive end, but that should improve.

i

3. Oklahoma Sooners
The Sooners lead the Big 12 in 3-point shooting, which isn't really a surprise. The truly impressive thing about Oklahoma is the continued improvement on defense. The Sooners lead the nation in effective field goal percentage defense at 38 percent, and lead the Big 12 in field goal percentage defense at 34 percent. Plus, they are third in the Big 12 in rebound margin.

i

4. Purdue Boilermakers
The Boilermakers are the best defensive team in the country. Purdue doesn't turn you over or make you turn your back, but getting an open shot inside of the arc is really difficult. Big man Isaac Haas helps protect the basket, and he gets fouled at a high rate, best among big men. In 11 games, Haas has shot 66 free throws.

i

5. Xavier Musketeers
The Musketeers are 10-0 and a legit Final Four team. Xavier is the best it has been since Skip Prosser was at the helm. One thing that stands out about this team: its rebounding. The Musketeers are among the top 25 in offensive rebounding and among the top 5 in defensive rebounding.

i

6. North Carolina Tar Heels
The Bilastrator believes the Heels are the best team in the country with Marcus Paige back, but The Bilastrator wonders if the Heels believe that themselves. North Carolina is talented and experienced, but altogether too nice on the floor. Once Carolina decides to start street fighting instead of playing by Marquess of Queensberry rules, this could be a title team.Kennedy Meeks sitting out with a bruised knee for two weeks certainly does not help.

i

7. Maryland Terrapins
The Bilastrator saw Maryland as a Final Four team before the first bounce of the ball, and the Terrapins have not moved down. But, some others have simply moved ahead. Maryland has a real chance and is getting better. Two areas of improvement are on the defensive end, challenging more shots, and on the offensive end, taking better care of the ball. But, when you have Melo Trimble, who can change pace and direction as well as any guard in the nation, you have a legit chance.

i

8. Kentucky Wildcats
The Wildcats have talent, but that talent has to blend together and figure it out. Right now, Skal Labissiere's head is spinning, and the young big man is trying to figure it out in front of national television audiences. Another young player suffering from "nice kid disease," Skal has to learn to use his speed and quickness so he cannot so easily be pushed around. He will be a major asset in time, but he needs to rebound.

i

9. Virginia Cavaliers
After a hiccup at George Washington, Virginia is Virginia again. The Cavaliers looked like they might get beat in Madison Square Garden, but fought back at the end of the first half, then bludgeoned West Virginia and took the Mountaineers' hearts out in the second half. Virginia is the only team in the country ranked in the top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency.

i

10. Duke Blue Devils
The Blue Devils have made major strides since the loss to Kentucky, but Amile Jefferson's right foot injury is a huge blow to Duke. Any injury to an experienced player, let alone an interior defender/rebounder/finisher, is difficult. Jefferson is a connector, one who does far more than his numbers indicate. In his absence, Chase Jeter will have to step forward, or Duke will be going smaller. Sophomore Grayson Allencontinues to lead the ACC in scoring at 21.8 PPG.